Sign in to follow this  
flashbang151

No DX11?

I hope Arma 3 will be using all that Direct 11 gives. Because if not it will be a massive

failure.

I hope Arma 3 will be using all that Direct 11 gives. Because if not it will be a massive

failure.

*snort*

:D

failure.

just like your first post on those

forums

*snort*

:D

Assuming that was a snort of derision, this post has my full approval.

failure.

Another Post of the Decade candidate, if only for the awesome use of the

enter key. :bored: :lecture:

failure.

lolwut.jpg

Another Post of the Decade candidate, if only for the awesome use of the

enter key. :bored: :lecture:

Not bad for a first or second post!

Very wrong in fact.

I'd have to agree with him between DX9 and DX10. However, DX10.1 and DX11 have a noticeable improvement over DX9.

Dirt 2 is a great game to see the difference. DX9 looks bland. DX11 looks alive and real.

Example of something I recorded in DX11:

-X

Edited by xman1

failure.

I think you're slightly retarded...

I'd have to agree with him between DX9 and DX10. However, DX10.1 and DX11 have a noticeable improvement over DX9.

Dirt 2 is a great game to see the difference. DX9 looks bland. DX11 looks alive and real.

[/url]

Wut?

Wut?

Bad example, maybe should look at some of these instead.

Keep an eye on the masonry and tiles etc once in close.

If any of you have a DX11 card then try unigine heaven benchmark and you can switch tessalation mode on the fly to see the real difference.

Edited by Liquidpinky

the usual difference between dx10 and dx11 is better shadows on 11 and tesselation. I dont care much for that.

dx11 has also implemented ways make the render thread more multithreadable and drastically reducing the work for the main thread. For arma this could be huge, but it's also extra programming work, afaik civ5 is currently the only game that uses it.

Keep an eye on the masonry and tiles etc once in close.

If any of you have a DX11 card then try unigine heaven benchmark and you can switch tessalation mode on the fly to see the real difference.

Especially on that dragon.

Especially on that dragon.

You should see it on the extreme tesselation setting. ;)

Tessellation also reduces file size for models, which then reduces loading times, which benefits games like Arma that has large streaming terrains.

Not to mention the difference between DX9 and DX11 beauty is around only a 1FPS cost on that Unigine benchmark, over the space of bench it will be more but while watching it that seems the case..

That is at 5940x1080, Anistropic at 16 and AA on 2 and normal tessellation level.

Also, did I mention I absolutely hate hexagonal wheels.

I have lol

Tessellation also reduces file size for models, which then reduces loading times, which benefits games like Arma that has large streaming terrains.

Not to mention the difference between DX9 and DX11 beauty is around only a 1FPS cost on that Unigine benchmark, over the space of bench it will be more but while watching it that seems the case..

That is at 5940x1080, Anistropic at 16 and AA on 2 and normal tessellation level.

Also, did I mention I absolutely hate hexagonal wheels.

Yeah i got more of a performance drop from the Ambient Occlusion settings turned on rather than the tessellation, and guess which one looked better :P

Tessellation also reduces file size for models, which then reduces loading times, which benefits games like Arma that has large streaming terrains

It seems like it reduces file sizes for very detailed models, not for polygon reduced LODs. You might be able to get away with a slightly less detailed LOD 1, but the tessellation itself is used to increase the smoothness and detail of the model's silhouette when compared to a similar model with normal maps. It's not like you can tessellate a 250 polygong LOD 5 all the way up to a 15 million polygon sculpture. The lower LODs and all that other under the hood stuff will still need to be there. I think that tessellation will help keep file sizes lower as you increase detail but I don't think it's a huge help if you want to reduce detail from your primary level of detail.

after reading through the dx11 refs, that's the same conclusion i came up with as well. it can blend the lods better between them if you need to, but you still need the keyframes.

I should remind you guys... Instanced Tesselation is a technique that enables tesselation in the DX10 path. It is redundant in DX11 context which supports the feature natively, with no workarounds.

Let me also add that this method is indeed still affected by a "stepping" side effect (similar to LOD switching), whereas the native DX11 is totally smooth.

Edited by gammadust

and I am well aware of that. the link I posted is a sample demo so one can understand that the highly detailed geometry is drawn basen on the combination of displacement map and tesselation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhhJwGKV-yw Keep an eye on the masonry and tiles etc once in close.

I fully know the difference, I work with both.

Was replying to the guy's idiotic statement.