Sign in to follow this  
Richey79

PhysX

Yeah, but I can live with that. I love that even the Striders gunner display is active as well. Actually I would prefer having fewer vehicles but with full 'indoor' modelling.

That would make playing on veteran servers much nicer and maybe even tank drivers can enjoy their part^^

The Feature that will be really performance heavy is RTT for sure. I guess that is why the RTT displays have a quite low refresh rate

They should have the reversing screen on the Fennek and other vehicles only switch on while actually reversing, that would save a few FPS for the journey.

I think it could be lower res...

Maybe update speed and res will be linked to video settings?

They should have the reversing screen on the Fennek and other vehicles only switch on while actually reversing, that would save a few FPS for the journey.

That's a really good idea!

I think one of the devs said the demo rig they used @ E3 had an i7 960, GTX 580, and ssd, so you should be okay.

No, the demo rig was:

i7-2600, GTX 560, 8GB, SSD

So if you can run ARMA2 ok then ARMA3 will run about the same or possibly better with the equivalent level of graphics settings.

Edited by EDcase

Did you read further?

A little.

E3: Talon Core i7 960, GTX580, 12GB, Win 7 64, SSD

Looks like in the videos that one setting (maybe the lowest(?)) is that the FPS is cut down a great deal to give it kind of a webcam update frequency (a few FPS). Still is functionable and the performance on the videos from E3 etc all look very smooth with it on. The full (high setting) prolly will be punishing.

My PC i had til recently (all SSD, quad, tons of RAM etc) suffered a great deal with it on in ToH. Hopefully they can optimise a few different settings for it so most people can use it. WHOT/BHOT in ARMA2 is very easy on performance so that with lower setting might not affect performance much at all (experienced guess at least). :)

The Feature that will be really performance heavy is RTT for sure. I guess that is why the RTT displays have a quite low refresh rate
Would that be why the weapon optics are still using "regular" ADS views (i.e. full-screen magnified scope) instead of Red Orchestra-style as I've hoped for?

I'm also mildly disappointed with the PhysX implementation, if only because I'm one of those people using a AMD instead of an Intel :P (Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition), so I was hoping to be able to spread out load to my AMD video card (MSI R5770 HAWK 1 GB) as well, since the AMD parts were both cheaper at the time... so it'd cost me several hundred dollars to switch to Intel and NVIDIA. :(

....the physX will be entirely cpu side. You'll gain nothing from switching to Nvidia. Unless you were meaning something else?

....the physX will be entirely cpu side. You'll gain nothing from switching to Nvidia. Unless you were meaning something else?

Actually, we don't know this yet. We do know it's not mandatory to have nvidia card in order to run basic physx but something regarding extra effects was mentioned. My guess is they might offer extra physx effects for nvidia owners.

Actually, we don't know this yet. We do know it's not mandatory to have nvidia card in order to run basic physx but something regarding extra effects was mentioned. My guess is they might offer extra physx effects for nvidia owners.

What could they possibly add? I can't see them adding in dynamic volumetric smoke or something powered by PhysX. If they changed the vehicle/object handling in any way based on if you bought NVIDIA or otherwise it'd break the game. I don't think they'd do that.

What could they possibly add? I can't see them adding in dynamic volumetric smoke or something powered by PhysX. If they changed the vehicle/object handling in any way based on if you bought NVIDIA or otherwise it'd break the game. I don't think they'd do that.

Cloth simulation, mesh deformation, extra destruction particles, etc. Probably purely eye candy, otherwise as you wrote it would break multiplayer compatibility.

I hope they implement cloth simulation not just on the flags but on other cloth like item like the market stands in Takistan. These should not need to be sync in MP I guess as its not as important to gameplay.

For FPS sake, probably just implement in a radius around the player like 200m or more (could be in settings too I suppose).

Myke;2174260']As the tweet says: it doesn't matter if you have nVidia or AMD GPU since PhysX is calculated by CPU.

The tweet clearly mentions that ATI cards won't be able to see all the gorgeous effects.

Ofc, this is not directed to vehicle handling, but probably APEX stuff.

Yes to using the CPU, but at least give us the option to pass it out to our Nvidia GFX cards (assuming they are capable). Even if it's just an API that can do it.

Would be nice to see some buildings exploding, wood dropping or destroying when shooting, holes and so on!

I know that I will buy a NVidia GPU although I´m currently quite happy with my ATI GPU. But maybe some guy will make a mod that requires HW accelerated PhysX. An NVidia GPU will come very handy in such a situation

I sure hope there's no apex physics, just the cpu thing.

I use an nvidia card but come on devs, spend time on stuff everybody can use.

But maybe some guy will make a mod that requires HW accelerated PhysX. An NVidia GPU will come very handy in such a situation

Doubt that is gonna be possible if there is no APEX/cloth etc implemented in the first place

i really doubt any sort of cloth or particle sim would make it in...

Edited by PuFu

Im just curious; Would the new level of physics expected in Arma3 benefit an NPC's pathfinding ability in any way (in regards to driving vehicles)?

Sidenote; If not, has there been any mention of an improvement in this area?

I see massive frame rate issues with this game, even for decent rigs. I pray everyone can play it. I should be good, I 5 2500k oc 4.5 mhz and NVIDIA geforce 560 Ti. You can have that set up pretty cheaply.

I sure hope there's no apex physics

Are you going bonkers? APEX destruction FTW!

1iyNXD1nhXs