Sign in to follow this  
granQ

PVP, "head bob cheating" ?

neo, but then if its just the health issue, why not "disableHeadMovmentForAll = true"?

That way I can have 50% head bob and enjoy my coop, while when we change to a capture the flag, the mission makes it "even" for all?

Yes, I totally agree with you on that. :)

What I mean is, I wouldn't play/enjoy because you made that change global, and I like using a lot of headbob, so basically what im saying, is that I would have some fun with you playing the coop mission, but once you got to the PVP and 0% headbob, I would probably leave.:D

_neo_

Does you viosn really jump that way when you're walking or runnign out here in the so calles "real world".If yes... please consult a physician immediately.

I for myself seem to have a internal natural stabilization for me, my gun and my eyes.

Maybe you need a upgrade?

Sorry but you must be joking!

i dont know about you but i did a test to see how realistic the head bob motion is.

I ran about a 100m trying to focus on an object (a street sign)

my result:

my eyes were shaking, and i couldnt focus on the sign as good as if i were standing. Basically it felt like the head bob in game (almost). this is because you create vibrations when you run as well as the physical motions in your body, causing your body to sway (a minimal amount) thats what causes the head bob motion. 100% bob isnt realistic, but about 25-50% is. just try sprinting or jogging with some weight on you and youll see.

as I mentioned I always run on default values.. "the way the game is meant to be played"

options within games are there to alter the game to your preference.

please dont suggest forcing YOUR preference onto others. its ignorant.

This are clientside settings and controlled by the client only. I know of nobody whos uses heabbob at all...it makes seasicknes and headaches...why should someone torture himself just for playing a game.

The whole headbob is a nonsense feature like post processing, good for videos only to simulate a shouldered camera.

I use headbob. Have it at 30% and love it. Feels immersive and none of that floating camera nonsense feeling.

Still I don't think forcing it onto others with values you want is a good idea, although setting the lower limit for headbob at about 10% would be a good idea so as to eliminate the "cheating" at least to a small, non-intrusive degree.

Edited by metalcraze

-Ziggy-;1884034']options within games are there to alter the game to your preference.

I havent played MP PvP in a long time mostly due to too much variation in the settings. Its a fact that many people will lower everything possible in the settings if they are available to give them an edge over someone who believes certain settings gives the game more immersion as a sim rather then mouse wars. Of course options are there for a reason -so let servers decide. Im sure Ive played on servers that disallowed 3rd person viewing and crosshairs -to put everyone on the same playing field.

If servers have the option -the gamer can pick and choose what server better fits his view of fun playing and/or reality.

Does no crosshair/3rd person make you physical sick?

We already have tons of mods/DLC's that are filtering people, do we really need yet another? If so should we also force VD as already mentioned?

Sorry that a little bob makes you sick.

No bob and zero floating zone I find silly and arcadish -others feel the exact opposite. Thats fine, but Id like to be able to join a realism server for people that like the style I do.

If so should we also force VD as already mentioned?

See, now that can be forced:

forcedVD = x;

setViewDistance forcedVD;

[] spawn {
while {true} do {
	if ((viewDistance > forcedVD) || (viewDistance < forcedVD)) then {
		setViewDistance forcedVD;
	};
};
};

:p

It's confusing that non-pvp players want the ability to enforce a setting the disabling of which is "unfair" only in pvp, and even that unfairness is negated by doing as the Romans do. Put yourselves in the shoes of someone who gets motion sickness from things like that, or just feels that it's a needless obstruction of vision. Everyone should be able turn it on or off without outside enforcement. I myself would develop a stinging headache and eventually nausea even from a 10% head bob.

(viewDistance > forcedVD) || (viewDistance < forcedVD)

viewDistance != forcedVD

And it would be good to have a small sleep for appearance's sake if nothing else. And even then, I thought that VD is the same as the server's unless extra scripting is used.

Edited by Celery

viewDistance is already the same for everyone in MP (unless specifically scripted different by the mission designer).

@ froggyluv

To reduce your ignorance please read:

Motion_sickness

I guess that a minimum forced server side setting (which can be set to 0%) would be the solution here, if you want more you would be free to do so, and pure pvp servers who wont like this option can just set the minimum to 0%.

Though personally i dont really care either way.

Nobody's asking for mandatory enforced head-bob, merely the option for those that want a standard for all on their respective server. I always thought more options was a good thing...

@PVP: Thanks, I'm aware of motion sickness as I get it myself when height and speed are combined aka. roller coaster. Thats why I avoid them and ride other rides -choices mate.

I think it would be good if server-ops had the ability to force a minimum amount, there might be players who for whatever reason decided they then didn't want to play there but that's the case with all the choices a server-op makes. Suspect for that reason it would be rare to see it used but the option would be good.

-Ziggy-;1884034']options within games are there to alter the game to your preference.

i am getting so sicking tired of you people, how freaking hard is it to understand?

I guess I should stop making addons.. i mean i don't want to force people my addons on them, also stop mission editing and scripting. People should play the game as they want not me... right?

Nobody's asking for mandatory enforced head-bob, merely the option for those that want a standard for all on their respective server. I always thought more options was a good thing...

That is pretty much reducing options for people who don't want it. Why is it important to you that everyone has head bob on the server you play on?

Celery, same reason as view distance..

is it fun to be killed from an enemy thats 1000 meters away when he using his machine gun and your view distance is only 900 meter..? no.. of course not.

Conclusion, it isn't fun to be killed by people that change their settings to their advantage.. thats the reason why "dark rooms" in games almost never work because so many just turn up their gamma and see perfectly. No more hiding in the shades..

That is pretty much reducing options for people who don't want it. Why is it important to you that everyone has head bob on the server you play on?

I would suspect that head bobbers would be in the vast minority of servers judging by responses here.

Playing with head-bob adds tremendous immersion for me and and takes away the arcadey feeling of running around with weight yet seeing perfectly at all horizons. Obviously, it also acts as a disadvantage against someone who sees with the artificial stability of a mega-yacht on stabalizers who has turned theirs completly off. Would be like playing with super fast animations compared to others using standard Arma2 animations (which many find more realistic, at least before betas).

Id like to be able to play on an even playing ground with others like myself that enjoy that type of immersion.

Celery, same reason as view distance..

is it fun to be killed from an enemy thats 1000 meters away when he using his machine gun and your view distance is only 900 meter..? no.. of course not.

Conclusion, it isn't fun to be killed by people that change their settings to their advantage.. thats the reason why "dark rooms" in games almost never work because so many just turn up their gamma and see perfectly. No more hiding in the shades..

Playing with head-bob adds tremendous immersion for me and and takes away the arcadey feeling of running around with weight yet seeing perfectly at all horizons. Obviously, it also acts as a disadvantage against someone who sees with the artificial stability of a mega-yacht on stabalizers who has turned theirs completly off. Would be like playing with super fast animations compared to others using standard Arma2 animations (which many find more realistic, at least before betas).

Id like to be able to play on an even playing ground with others like myself that enjoy that type of immersion.

Having people either turn their head bob off or deal with it when necessary generates much less bad blood than forcing anti-headbobbers and motion sickos to not play on a server at all. It's even super easy to negate the perceived disadvantage by adjusting the slider in such a mission. You wanting to use it is a preference based on what you feel is cool and immersive: others see it as an immersion breaker or the last thing before their head bursts.

By the way, how does it matter at all in non-pvp modes?

Edited by Celery

guess you never played seriously pvp, isn't that fun to think that the only reason he got you before you got him is that your screen shakes and his is like a tank with a gyro stabilized gun.

If you want immersion get a Track Ir5 or similar.

With that, head bob and deadzone would work against realism because your weapon would already be detached from your head movement.

As for PvP the head bob and deadzone thing would only give a boost to campers in a already defensive oriented combat game. I think its fine that people can turn it off or on at their own choosing.

thats the reason why "dark rooms" in games almost never work because so many just turn up their gamma and see perfectly. No more hiding in the shades..

By the way, Arma 2 doesn't suffer from that. I made a mission, DM Shadow Killer, which is based on using the flashlight of your gun, and the HDR system makes sure that everything that is beyond a certain darkness level shows completely black.

Having people either turn their head bob off or deal with it when necessary generates much less bad blood than forcing anti-headbobbers and motion sickos to not play on a server at all. It's even super easy to negate the perceived disadvantage by adjusting the slider in such a mission. You wanting to use it is a preference based on what you feel is cool and immersive: others see it as an immersion breaker or the last thing before their head bursts.

By the way, how does it matter at all in non-pvp modes?

Not going to argue endlessly over this, if an option is too much to ask so that like minded players can enjoy their idea of realism, then so be it.

I can understand those that do suffer motion sickness avoiding such servers, but that shouldnt negate the freedom of choice. As for it being an immersion breaker.... I run 100m sprints/hill run/bound etc 3x/week and would testify that zero headbob is far from reality.

Obviously without choice, it forces people who'd like to compete in the PvP arena to lower all settings if they care to stand a chance. Not fun.

Obviously without choice, it forces people who'd like to compete in the PvP arena to lower all settings if they care to stand a chance. Not fun.

yeeeeaaaah :rolleyes:

The only settings I would lower would be grass/terrain settings, and that aspect of PvP is usually taken care of within the scripting of a PvP mission.

I say, if you really want to play PvP contests, play the game as you most enjoy it, and focus on tactics and teamwork instead of settings.

imo, game settings are just a lame excuse for defeat. ;)

i am getting so sicking tired of you people, how freaking hard is it to understand?

I guess I should stop making addons.. i mean i don't want to force people my addons on them, also stop mission editing and scripting. People should play the game as they want not me... right?

PLEASE, dont threaten me. I could give a shit what you do with your time.

By making a thread here, understand I have a right to respond however the fuck I want, with respect.

I expect the same in return.

you don't like opinions? THEN DON'T POST HERE ASKING FOR THEM. 241994.gif

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

This thread reminds me why i enjoy mp coop. No endless discussions why ppl do it like this or like that, just everyone enjoying the game. Amen. :)