Sign in to follow this  
bangtail

Homefront - another 3 hour Campaign - AVOID

Just a little warning to all my BIS brethren.

Homefront is yet another hype festival that is not up to scratch.

It is a mediocre game at best and yet again, the SP is 3 hours (actually took me a little less than that) on hard.

The MP is also fairly 'blah'.

The game feels shoddy and unfinished and the sound design (something that I pay a lot of attention to) is pathetically bad. Whenever there is a convo going on it always sounds like the person talking to you is talking right into your ear even if they are 20 yards away.

Anyway, experience at your own risk. Not worth the money.

I find myself using the phrase "it could have been great..." far too often in gaming these days.

Oh lowest common denominator... :(

Thanks for the warning, hadn't really thought much about the game, looked somewhat interesting though.

Not many new games hold my attention span for 3 hours anyways.

I don't know why I bother tbh, there is the odd good game but most of them are just dross.

It's a shame Milius let them attach his name to this because I actually liked Red Dawn but Red Dawn this is not. I wish these dullards would write a believeable story for once.

Korea taking over the US, puhlease :rolleyes:

I'll wait until it goes down to 20 bucks or Steam has one of their 50% off deals on it before I get it.

Was it really that hard to predict? C'mon those crappy vids where all over before release and presenting the dumb storyline about North Korea taking over the US...

Btw why should any nation or alien species even think about invading the USA? Must be a latent fear of invaders in US brains... :cool:

THQ published excelent Metro 2033 last year in march so I followed how this would become. Sad to see its one of the many poor quality games that are sold by marketing not quality. I wish the publishers would stop the over-marketing madness someday. Its ruining the whole game culture. Most of the games are now like some hollow James Bond movies with a trendy look.

Thats mostly becuase of the "younger generation" that hasn´t developed good taste in gaming...oh and the consoles of course, especially the consoles

THQ published excelent Metro 2033 last year in march

Yep, Metro 2033 was a real surprise.

I really hope the sequel is as good as the first one was.

It played like an old school game that had spent about $100K on cosmetic surgery.

I was really looking forward to this one. It's the first console game I've considered purchasing in a while.

What kind of idiots think it's ok to release a 3 hour game? That's a new level of ridiculousness.

I remember when a 15 hour game was short. Then COD hit the scene and now it's all the rage to release 4-6 hour single player games.

OFP:CWC was text book for how long a game should be. It wasn't so long that you get bored (like some GTA titles can be) but it was long enough to develop a branching storyline over the course of 20+ hours.

As you rightly stated, it's the norm these days and with some of these games going for $60.00, it simply is not acceptable.

Yes its getting more and more ridiculous with every new COD Released. I think the Campaign of COD MW took like 8-9 hours? COD BO was only 6. You see where this goes

You divide $60 Black Ops by three and get a $20 DVD with a Hollywood action movie on it.

I wouldnt mind a second opinion here. I'm no stranger to some of the wildly exaggerated record breaking hardcore setting completion times on these forums. What about other game characteristics? Was the story compeling, if not then why. How are the graphics? Gameplay? AI? Effects? Was it a fun 3 hours. The 3 hours doesn't even scare me so much. That's about 2.5 hours more then how long it took me to stop banging my head on the table (I.e. Playing ArmA2 SP campaign).

Took me five hours on the hardest setting. I like the game a lot, its not a favorite but its good. Story-wise... it sticks to it's plot well but once you get past the first few levels it loses the whole "fighting disparately for freedom" feel. Its hard to explain, it just sort of cuts away from the clear depictions of tyranny of the first few levels and replaces it with explosions.

Also its not as streamlined as BC2. Its pretty scripted, kind of like Metro 2033 and if your friendly AI wants your cover spot, they just bump you out into the open. Also there isn't really any bullet penetration which while refreshing to go back to the simple ways, does get a little annoying here and there.

It needs some polish, and the gun sounds are kind of weird, but I thought it was enjoyable other than being basically $10 per hour singleplayer-wise.

Multiplayer is pretty fun too. Its not my style, I prefer sneaking around and taking my time, and you can but depending on the game mode, spawn points can change based on the position of the mass of the other team, so get too comfortable and they might suddenly appear behind you. The reason I like it so much more than all the other generic FPS games is that even though it doesn't have a hardcore mode, it still only takes a shot or two to drop somebody in multiplayer, and you don't have to be up close to do it either. The guns actually have some recoil and they can reach out and touch someone.

Its not perfect by any means, but I really don't think it deserves as much negativity as it gets. The only thing that i will agree with without issue is the lack of length, but is anybody really surprised there? Its a nice break from games like OFP and ArmA for me, since I am not really a part of the "only play ArmA because everything else is utter shit master race." I do enjoy a generic FPS just as much, assuming i like it; its just that me liking them is rare and why i usually stick to OFP.

Any questions, just ask.

The devs said that the campaign would be 5 hours long for very skilled players. As always, take them at their word and subtract 20-35%

Gamers on guru3d say game starts at full fps then slowly drops down, could be a mem leak needing a patch. :(

Not gonna buy.

Want a good campaign? Buy AssassinsCreed:Brotherhood, its coming to PC right now.

I had about 30 hours of pure fun SP and then stopped to replay it on PC. :)

MP is great, too.

I wouldnt mind a second opinion here. I'm no stranger to some of the wildly exaggerated record breaking hardcore setting completion times on these forums. What about other game characteristics? Was the story compeling, if not then why. How are the graphics? Gameplay? AI? Effects? Was it a fun 3 hours. The 3 hours doesn't even scare me so much. That's about 2.5 hours more then how long it took me to stop banging my head on the table (I.e. Playing ArmA2 SP campaign).

I know you'd like to believe that it's longer, but sadly, it isn't. People had completed it before I'd finished downloading it on Steam.

The graphics are pretty good, the story is stupid, the gameplay is dry and the AI is generic at best.

$40.00 later, I wish it was better than it is, but unfortunately, it's not.

The only good news is that if you didn't already own Metro 2033, you get a free copy with the purchase of Homefront on Steam/D2D.

Somehow that was expected and tells me two things:

- Try it out when it is on Steam Sale for maybe 5 Eur

- Play and finish Freedom Fighters one more time

Oh how i wish they would make a new version of that with decent graphics and a bigger operation area.

Waiting for CWR2 to do that again, finished the OFP version 10+ times i think.

Edited by Shadow NX

- Play and finish Freedom Fighters one more time

Oh how i wish they would make a new version of that with decent graphics and a bigger operation area.

This. Fantastic game.