Sign in to follow this  
pooroldspike

Are speed readouts in mph or km/h?

Does anybody know if the vehicle/helo/aircraft speed readouts in the game are mph or km/h?

For example is this M1 doing 72 mph or 72 kilometres per hour?

AA-flat3.jpg

Thanks, what a hassle, my brain is only calibrated in good old British miles per hour, and all this Euro kmh stuff means zilch to me!

So with the aid of this chart-

http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/ccspeed.htm

I've come up with a few reference figures that I can understand-

A-10 cruise (hunting) spd:- 560 kmh = 348 mph

UH-60 Blackhawk max spd:- 293 kmh = 182 mph

Abrams max spd:- 72 kmh = 45 mph

100metres sprint world record (Usain Bolt):- 38 kmh = 24 mph

PS:- And what about height readouts in AA2/OA, are they in good old feet or (groan) metres?

Edited by PoorOldSpike

All units are in metric, most military measurements are in metric all over the world, including the US.

Height readout is in metres....

I remember talking about this to some clan-mates when I was new to the game, and I'm sure in ArmA II v1.05 you could switch between metric and imperial readings... Come to think of it I'm damn certan you could as I changed it but didn't like seeing a lower number :D

Just started up ArmA II to see if I can find it in the options, seems it doesnt exist anymore... either that or I'm going senile :p

I believe just about every organized military organization in the world uses metric. There would be chaos in equipment training and any kind of joint operations if they didn't.

I believe just about every organized military organization in the world uses metric. There would be chaos in equipment training and any kind of joint operations if they didn't.

Not just military, scientific too. IIRC a Mars probe crashed into the planet a few years ago because there was a mixup between imperial and metric in the rocket thrust.

Time for you Brits to stop being stubborn, and start to use the same measurements as the rest of the entire world, so you can get rid of the conversion headache! :D

Time for you Brits to stop being stubborn, and start to use the same measurements as the rest of the entire world, so you can get rid of the conversion headache! :D

As they pretend to understand cricket rules, they must be able to do metric conversions :D

All units are in metric, most military measurements are in metric all over the world, including the US.

Not true for Air and naval units. in the F16 they use Knots for speed never KM/h I am always lost when i fly in arma cause I'm used to knots and feet when flying the F16 so why the A10 uses Km/h it beats me :j:

Not true for Air and naval units. in the F16 they use Knots for speed never KM/h I am always lost when i fly in arma cause I'm used to knots and feet when flying the F16 so why the A10 uses Km/h it beats me :j:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knot_%28unit%29

If you can approximately multiply a number by 1.85, you'll be fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knot_%28unit%29

If you can approximately multiply a number by 1.85, you'll be fine.

ofcourse you can sit in an aircraft and do calculations all day, but for pilots its different you are trained to learn the correct speeds for takeoff/landings in Knots. not in Km/h and also all coms from tower are in Knots and feet so why the aircrafts does not have readouts in knots and feet?? I just ask..

try to tell this pilot to multiply by 1.85 LOL

Edited by ScareCroweb

ofcourse you can sit in an aircraft and do calculations all day, but for pilots its different you are trained to learn the correct speeds for takeoff/landings in Knots. not in Km/h and also all coms from tower are in Knots and feet so why the aircrafts does not have readouts in knots and feet?? I just ask..

In the end Arma 2's air aspect is very light. You don't have to remember "correct" speeds, you just fly.

ofcourse you can sit in an aircraft and do calculations all day, but for pilots its different you are trained to learn the correct speeds for takeoff/landings in Knots. not in Km/h and also all coms from tower are in Knots and feet so why the aircrafts does not have readouts in knots and feet??

really? are you a pilot? if you yell really hard in your mic, does some magic tower reply to you? + Do you feel like Arma2 is a flight simulator by any means? Or are you sure the takeoff speeds in A2 are equivalent to the real ones? I am pretty sure they are not (knowing their configs)

I just ask..

why?

Don't take yourself too serious now...

Some people are just trying their best nitpick and keep a thread going, even though the question of the OP found its answer in the second post.

The British aren't the only one to not use metric fully. The United States, Canada, the Irish Republic, Australia and India still use (what we Brits euphamistically called the) imperial measurement system to a large extent.

I'm glad Arma uses all metric. I like to fly the Warthog in the flight simulator DCS:A-10C. It's an absolutely amazing simulator, but it's a pain having to deal with knots and feets.

Canada does not. We use the SI system for almost everything, with a few throwbacks to the imperial system.

Edited by Max Power

I'm glad Arma uses all metric. I like to fly the Warthog in the flight simulator DCS:A-10C. It's an absolutely amazing simulator, but it's a pain having to deal with knots and feets.

but why? You dont need to do any conversion in your head when the whole system uses the same units. The ATC will never tell you to climb to 3000m, it will tell you in feet. If the target is at 200 nautical miles away and you are flying 200 knots, you will be there in an hour. The minimum and maximum speeds of the aircraft are also in kts.

The British aren't the only one to not use metric fully. The United States, Canada, the Irish Republic, Australia and India still use (what we Brits euphamistically called the) imperial measurement system to a large extent.

That's what I said: Brits. It's just Brits in different areas of the world :P

I can understand why nautical miles and knots are used in naval and air navigation, but what's the deal with using feet?

That's what I said: Brits. It's just Brits in different areas of the world :P

I'm sure the guys from the Irish Republic will be thrilled to hear you say that! :)

I think it would help if absolutely everything was in metric.

Of course, it would be ideal if it was changeable, where you could set everything to be imperial, but that would create numerous multiplayer problems, which would in turn make it less than ideal. :D

Also, I need a refresher on the map's grid system. At 3 numbers per grid (zoom level), what is the length of each square? How does it relate to other zoom levels (4 numbers)?

100 m => 1km.

Eh? Depending on programming language installed in user, => could mean equal to or greater than.