Sign in to follow this  
Brainbug

Egyptian Army (retexture mod)

Egyptian Army

texture modification of BIS models

by Brainbug

Version 1.0 released March 2, 2011

Having watched recent events in Egypt on TV, I noticed the interesting camo patterns of the Egyptian army and tried to recreate that for our favorite game, using the Takistani and some Russian models as base because their gear seems to fit best from all BIS models available in game. I know that e.g. the helmets are not perfect because Egypt uses the old US steel helmet and not the soviet one, but using a model with the modern US helmet would have looked even worse. Also there are not that many photos to be googled that could help me in the process, nevertheless I think I came pretty close to the real thing. I hope you can live with the various small and not so small discrepancies and enjoy my mod. And well, if you can't, then just don't use it and make your own.

Only tested with Combined Ops, not sure if it will work in Arrowhead alone. But I recommend buying Arma2 vanilla anyway if you don't have it, and be it only to support BIS.

5vctfon6.jpg ougumkv6.jpg a58a76p6.jpg mx5g5aeu.jpg 62bo6yoe.jpg

Included are soldiers with the so called scrambled egg pattern, a camo for the desert, and soldiers wearing the nile delta camo, something also described as plane tree pattern. The latter are wearing also vests in the US 3-color desert camo pattern found on the DCU. Then there is a general in green uniform and a so-called Ranger in the Egyptian variant of the 6-color desert camo also known as "chocolate chip pattern" (which is not widely used by seemingly given out to some special units). Also included is a Presidential Guard soldier, who I put in the OPFOR faction while the rest is in the independent faction. That leaves more options for mission makers, e.g. a fictional fight between army and presidential guard is possible, although that has luckily been avoided in real life due to Mubarak being slightly less subborn than Ghaddafi. But of course you can just edit my config for your own use if you want it differently.

To be found in the editor under "Independent" -> "Egyptian Army" -> "Men (desert camo)" respectively "Men (nile delta camo)", except for Presidential Guard, which can be found under "OPFOR" -> "Egyptian Presidential Guard" -> "Men".

A table of class names with description can be found in the included readme file.

Disclaimer:

The models are BIS models, just with adjusted texture paths of course. The textures are heavily modified, but also based on the originals by BIS. This means, as far as copyright is concerned, that you are bound to the conditions given by Bohemia Interactive for their work, and in addition I would be happy if you give me credit in case you plan to reuse my work.

Download:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-3253532/egypt_army.7z.html

or

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/207516/egypt_army.7z

or

check the mirror in the thread below. Thanks go to armaholic.com for hosting!

(file size: 33MB / md5 sum: 51008342F9E5405AAF8B8FC2FA17C0D2)

Edited by Brainbug

No, I'm pretty much done with this and don't plan to continue it further, it was just a fun project for a few days.

If you need vehicles, you can just use M1 and M113, which are available in game already (with relatively neutral appearance), and a M60 can be found in Vilas' Vehicle Pack. But you are of course free to make your own mods that accompany mine ;)

http://armyrecognition.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1029

as i look on it, it seems that your choice to use Russian soldier as base is better, cause those helmets do not look like they were M1 (you said your addon is not perfect, maybe it is closer to real than you thought in regard of helmets )

and as i see they received a lot of PASGT helmets , so US helmet used in Arma1 could also be used by you (in Latin America , in Asia, in Africa i see that PASGT helmet is more and more popular )

i have seen photos of many Egypt soldier in PASGT (not covered, green)

regarding M60 tank it would require permission not from me, but from Rygugu cause he is creator of M60 and T55

Great stuff. But I'm missing Steyr Augs as its the main Egyptian rifle?

My bad, Tunisia uses them.

Edited by IceBreakr

Great stuff. But I'm missing Steyr Augs as its the main Egyptian rifle?
That would be something totally new to me, are you sure you didn't mix that up with a different country? I was referring to e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_equipment_of_the_Egyptian_Army and also to various photos that I could find with google pic search. I also found a few photos showing a (to me unknown) special unit guarding the Egyptian Museum which was armed with SG 552 rifles (which I didn't include in my mod because the texture was boring and the model too far off from anything already in game, let alone the rifle). But no AUG to be found anywhere. Also Wikipedia doesn't name Egypt in the user list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr_AUG#Users

These are really good looking infantry. If somebody is skilled at doing textures, somebody could easily build some vehicles for these troops.

There's an M1A1, M113, BRDM2 and T-55 included in the game already, the M60, T-62 and BMP-1 could be provided by Vilas (if he wants).

As for Air units, there are F-4s, F-16 and Mig-21 made by the community. Somebody could probably ask the respective authors for permission (or use hiddenSelections if the author put those in). Then the C-130, CH-47, Mi-8, UH-60 and AH-64 are already in the game (and probably support hiddenSelections, correct me if I'm wrong).

That's already enough vehicles to h

Very nice work Brainbug, thanks for this.

Footage of the Special Forces in that picture you posted:

wTOf0x-eGU0

They're a unit of the "Saaeka" (Thunderbolt) special forces trained for urban warfare, more pictures here. One more!. They're carrying stuff as diverse as the SG 550 and ARX 160.

And here's an Egyptian Military album I'm constantly adding to if anyone's interested: https://picasaweb.google.com/107799919067587487036/EgyptianMilitary?feat=directlink

One more tidbit: All Egyptian Army units are deployed with body armor now including conscripts, they use variants of these.

Edited by Hamm

awesome job ....but egyptian pilots dosen`t wear camos

egyptian pilot

a9996ffa38d2f05f25b64c559c2df236.jpg

There's an M1A1, M113, BRDM2 and T-55 included in the game already, the M60, T-62 and BMP-1 could be provided by Vilas (if he wants).

there are some vehicles not in the game like:

FAhD

er-223.jpg?w=300&h=220

walid apc

rt-02.jpg

eifv

m113_eifv.jpg

some interesting pics

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

famous camo used by egyptian special force:

180121_147929131934789_144166712311031_274501_5900347_n.jpg

Edited by ahmed8620

Nice job Brainbug. The only thing I see wrong with them is perhaps some of the weapons loadouts. As far as I know the AK-74 is not used by Egyptian Army. Generally speaking, units equipped with Western weapons (M16A2, FNMAG MG, M24 SWS, UMP) and equipment (PASGT helmets) tend to be their more elite units such as their 111th Indepdendent Mechanized Brigade (formerly the 130th Amphibious Brigade), certain paratrooper units, and some of the various other commando units (such as their Counter Terrorist Unit 777).

It is very rare to have the Eastern and Western designed weapons mixed in units (aside from perhaps specialized weapons such as sniper rifles). This is due to logistical reasons.

At any rate, what someone else said regarding the Egyptian helmets is correct also. They are using a design based off the older Russian designs aside from those units that use the PASGT helmets.

Finally, BrainBug, my mod is going to be converting our Egyptian units (modern and historic) from Arma1 and we have access to models that would complete most of the Egyptian military and which would take you months to get all the permissions for. We REALLY need help with our mod as its been slow going for us with just me and Andrei doing all the work.

Ryogu's M60 for example we already have permission to use. So by integrating our packs together and getting your help on reskins, it would greatly speed up the creation of our ArmA2 Egyptian pack which would be released as an independent pack (independent of our IDF release I mean). It also would avoid essentially duplicating your work as many of our modern units will probably also just be BI reskins (as much of the Takistani equipment is fairly close to most modern Egyptian units). We will however also use converted ArmA1 models with probably a modified PASGT vest (which is similar to the modern Egyptian body armor) and with the PASGT helmet. Our only problem would be perhaps reskinning it to simulate the side panels remove the front panels, and add the outlines of the ceramic plate section on the front and back.

Anyways, just let me know if you are interested.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

To Hamm: Hey Hamm, nice to see you on here!

here are some vehicles not in the game like...

Well I didn't say EVERY vehicle in the Egyptian army is ingame, I was just suggesting that these ones would be easier to implement as models of them already exist.

Plus that "Walid APC" looks like a BTR-40 to me and the EIFV looks kinda like an M2A2

To ahmed8620: The Walid APC is fairly close to the BTR-40 that is on the Takistani Militia side. If it has hidden selections on the model/config for its textures then it should be possible to make it look a bit more like the Walid APC.

If I'm not mistaken the Commando uniform is the one that can be turned inside out into the more woodland type cammo no?

You can see a bit of the other side of the uniform on this picture if you look at where the sleeves are rolled up:

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2011-02/59398526.jpg

59398526.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

Well I didn't say EVERY vehicle in the Egyptian army is ingame, I was just suggesting that these ones would be easier to implement as models of them already exist.

Plus that "Walid APC" looks like a BTR-40 to me and the EIFV looks kinda like an M2A2

Yeah the EIFV is essentially a upgraded M113 with a Bradley turret on it.

Other vehicles that the Egyptian military uses that are already in-game include the M1A1, Humvees (older variants not the uparmored ones), T-55 (although updated as the Ramses II with a 105mm cannon among other things), M113, UH-60 Blackhawk, and possibly the BTR-60 although I'm not 100% sure. Hamm could probably verify that.

There are probably a few other vehicles I'm forgetting about as well.

Edited by Miles Teg

The EIFV is basically a Bradley turret on an M113 chassis with upgraded armor, engines, etc.

Hi i has patched arma 2 patch 1.05 and added the folder in The root directory i added this folder @EGYPT_ARMY and inside it Addons Then those files "egt_army.pbo" "egt_army.pbo.brainbug.bisign" And when i open the arma 2 game it says Addon "egt_army" Requires "CA_E" Addon.

And i cant get the Soldier they are not in game and then i get another error that say "No Entry......................."

You need the Operation Arrowhead expansion pack for it to work.

Is that a patch or i have to buy it at a shop

It is a stand-alone game but also is an expansion pack to ArmA2. It's called Combined Operations when you use it as an expansion pack to ArmA2.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

It is a stand-alone game but also is an expansion pack to ArmA2. It's called Combined Operations when you use it as an expansion pack to ArmA2.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Aha so it just like installing arma 2 buy and install game play it separate

Yes, but if you install it on the same computer with ArmA2 it becomes an expansion pack. This is how most people play it (using both ArmA2 and OA together).

Mr miles teg how is the project of idf and egyptian units going and do you plan for static weapons like in ofp "sagger and spike "? thanks..