Sign in to follow this  
jblackrupert

Crysis 2 PC Demo [Download link]

The game looks great to me and I definately didnt feel sick while playing it. My only problem is not having prone and modding.

Crytek is not the the slave of pc fanboys.

Some good comments

I find it quite shocking, how many people feel in all seriousness insulted by crytek trying to get the same look & feel on all platforms.
Crysis 2 rocks, but every time a PC-only gaming franchise goes “cross platform†the world edges closer to the apo-console-ypse.

Im not saying consoles dont suck (despite having one) but Crysis 2 does not.

Edited by ziiip

Personally, I like them both.

I really like the way you can play it 'run and gun' or stealth. There are multiple ways to approach every situation.

This was definitely more apparent in Crysis (and Warhead) because you were dealing with open Islands and not a limited "Cityscape".

Crysis is generally a better looking game, it was more of a step forward from the original Far Cry (which still looks great I might add). Crysis 2 is a compromise technologically but for me at least, it satisfies on several levels.

- Overall Production quality is stellar

- Voice acting, music and sound are extremely well done from the crack of the pistol to the bass thud of the HMG, from the ambient sounds and buildings falling down around you to the AI screaming at each other while frantically trying to locate you.

- Well written Sci-Fi story. While it may not be "The Thing" (which I am horrified to see that the uninspired dullards native to Hollywood have remade), it is a great bit of escapism.

- A decent (and fairly lengthy) campaign. While it could have been longer (nitpicking), it was much longer than any other shooter in recent history.

- Multiplayer is well paced and enjoyable. Inevitably it will be overrun with cheating gits but that happens with every popular FPS (and beyond) so I can't hold that against it.

- The graphics are very good despite the fact that I would still give the nod to Crysis because it did a lot more in terms of depth and detail. I've never agreed with people who called Crysis a 'tech demo'. It was a great game and really allowed a fairly non linear approach to situations (especially given the size and borderless nature of the playing field). Crysis definietely felt more realistic and I preferred the 4 suit options to the 2 we have now.

- The physics have been significantly dumbed down compared to Crysis and this is quite a big let down considering it is 3+ years later. Just chucking a grenade into a hut in Crysis would never result in the same outcome twice. Hell, even punching a piece of the roof off produced hilarious results.

Bottom line, Crysis was a PC game, Crysis 2 is a hybrid and in order to be multi platform, it compromised. In this specific case, that's not a reason to hate it IMHO.

Edited by BangTail

See my spoiler in my previous post. It's related to that article.

With Crysis having supported DX12, and Crysis 2 not even shipping with DX11 support, it’s nothing short of a disgrace.

Surely, if nothing else, that sentence gave it away. :p

I agree that Crysis 2 is the better game in terms of gameplay & story, but in terms of the one thing that set Crysis apart from other games at the time, the fact that it was a technological benchmark, is no longer the case. I personally think it was a huge mistake to drop what made the first game unique in favor of other things that won't necessarily make it as or more popular these days.

Plus, I have a hard time forgiving people for touting their game to be a PC game, when the release rolls around and it is literally a console port until a patch is released.

Edited by Zipper5

The lack of DX11 was my first (and probably biggest complaint). At best it will be 'bolted on' which would indicate that there was probably little if any real development behind it (and that's if DX11 is added at all).

Crysis 2 will not be the same benchmark in ~3 years time that Crysis still is today.

DR going backwards (Consolitus) aint such a big deal but Crysis was kind of a flagship of what PC gaming could achieve. It really worries me that innovation will now and forever take the backseat to mass console sales.

Stay gold BI! (And ponyboy)

Okay, I am a bit worried that the point of that article was lost somewhere, so I'll make sure it's totally clear - the guy's trolling. For example, if you missed the fact that mostly everything else in the article was made up, DX12 doesn't even exist. :p

It definately deserves a gold medal in the troll contest.

Crytek should put something in the graphics settings menu to have some pc users believe they are running the game in DX11.. that way the game will feel like a superior one, just how Crysis felt superior on next gen DX10 graphics api :rolleyes: .

Crysis felt like half a game wrapped up in a hurry so i'd like to know if this one is actually good, not if the bullet holes disapear :rolleyes: .

This nerd crusade seems unjustified so far.

Okay, I am a bit worried that the point of that article was lost somewhere, so I'll make sure it's totally clear - the guy's trolling. For example, if you missed the fact that mostly everything else in the article was made up, DX12 doesn't even exist. :p

Didn't even read it ;)

I didn't realise I had quoted your post LOL - fixed :)

Evidently it's not okay to bash Crytek for straying from their PC roots and lies about it, but it's okay to bash every other developer who does the same. :p

Personally I'm waiting for this patch that is now also supposed to add a proper graphics options menu to the game on top of DX11 support. If that's how it turns out, I'll finally fork over the cash for Crysis 2. Hopefully they'll get rid of that stupid Press Start/Enter screen...

Edit: And then I read this. If it doesn't come, pretty simple - they won't get my money. ;)

Edited by Zipper5

That's absolute crap tbh.

They were alluding to DX11 support thoughout the development process, so to try and pretend they didn't use it as a selling point is just plain lying on their part.

As much as I enjoyed the game, I won't be giving them any business in the future if there is any form of paid DLC before they include some incarnation of DX10/11 support.

Edited by BangTail

Ah thank goodness for that..I don't know what it is with video game devs and the overdone bloom effects but something has got to give.

I don't know why developers bother going for high resolution textures and realisticly detailed environments, touting the games graphics on realism when they add excessive bloom which ruins the immersion. It's a shame because it works so beautifully from glare on windows in many games but when applied to animals and paint that should not have it them it becomes too much and just ruins the whole appearence, as if everything was giving off some glowing radiation.

Edited by NodUnit

I liked it,at first I thought I will be bored to tears with all the humans-vs-aliens thing again,but they did fine.I enjoyed playing "sam fisher" stabbing squiddies and cell operators and seeing New York transformed into a battlezone.

It was more confined than Crysis 1(which I didn't liked) but it didn't bothered me that much,it seems EA didn't infect just about every producer under their flag with their retardization(hint Bioware and DA2).

The various Crysis/Crytek forums are going to explode. :p

Does it really look that bad? I was going to D/L the demo but having second thoughts now. Surely with all the hype behind Crysis 2 it must be good!!!

Does it really look that bad? I was going to D/L the demo but having second thoughts now. Surely with all the hype behind Crysis 2 it must be good!!!

It looks pretty bloody amazing actually.

I just finished the SP campaign (13hrs playtime) and it was pretty satisfying all up.

1 - GFX were astounding. No other way to put it. Everyone seems to bitch about DX9 but crytek have pushed this tech very very far. I'm not sure what more you'd gain from DX11 beyond better tesselation and a lower framerate, and it's a moot point for me as I run XP anyway.

2 - Levels are very nicely put together and a real visual feast (even for a non New Yorker), but obviously nowhere near the open spaces and physics of crysis/warhead. But on the other hand it meant that....

3 - Gameplay was very smooth and fluid. With a GTX460/E6750 dual core running maximum settings I got 60fps no matter how busy it got.

4 - The story was typical convoluted scifi schlock but understanding it was not critical to enjoyment or game progression

5 - The streamlined nanosuit made for more straightforward play with less options than the original, but still plenty of scope for different approaches to a level. AI was largely pretty good and I enjoyed the vast majority of the fighting.

6 - You'll have to ask someone else about MP, I'm totally uninterested in it.

7 - The game is actually highly configurable, but just not from its interface. 2 minutes on google and a bit of editing of the game's system.cfg will allow you to refine the graphics and other attributes to your taste

Taking Crysis2 on its own merits I'd have to say it was an extremely polished, beautifully presented, fantastic performing and engaging game. It's a totally different beast from Crysis undeniably, but it plays very very well and I don't regret buying it - unlike a number of overhyped and ridiculously short military shooters I've had the misfortune to encounter over the last 18 months or so. Do I feel betrayed somehow by Crytek because the game doesn't bring my rig to its knees? No.

PS See if you can get hold of Peter Watts' book adaptation of Crysis2. He's a fantastic Canadian SF writer and the book actually helps flesh out the game believe it or not.

It looks pretty bloody amazing actually.

I just finished the SP campaign (13hrs playtime) and it was pretty satisfying all up.

1 - GFX were astounding. No other way to put it. Everyone seems to bitch about DX9 but crytek have pushed this tech very very far. I'm not sure what more you'd gain from DX11 beyond better tesselation and a lower framerate, and it's a moot point for me as I run XP anyway.

2 - Levels are very nicely put together and a real visual feast (even for a non New Yorker), but obviously nowhere near the open spaces and physics of crysis/warhead. But on the other hand it meant that....

3 - Gameplay was very smooth and fluid. With a GTX460/E6750 dual core running maximum settings I got 60fps no matter how busy it got.

4 - The story was typical convoluted scifi schlock but understanding it was not critical to enjoyment or game progression

5 - The streamlined nanosuit made for more straightforward play with less options than the original, but still plenty of scope for different approaches to a level. AI was largely pretty good and I enjoyed the vast majority of the fighting.

6 - You'll have to ask someone else about MP, I'm totally uninterested in it.

7 - The game is actually highly configurable, but just not from its interface. 2 minutes on google and a bit of editing of the game's system.cfg will allow you to refine the graphics and other attributes to your taste

Taking Crysis2 on its own merits I'd have to say it was an extremely polished, beautifully presented, fantastic performing and engaging game. It's a totally different beast from Crysis undeniably, but it plays very very well and I don't regret buying it - unlike a number of overhyped and ridiculously short military shooters I've had the misfortune to encounter over the last 18 months or so. Do I feel betrayed somehow by Crytek because the game doesn't bring my rig to its knees? No.

PS See if you can get hold of Peter Watts' book adaptation of Crysis2. He's a fantastic Canadian SF writer and the book actually helps flesh out the game believe it or not.

I agree with you for the most part but they did allude to the fact that DX11 would be included (as a selling point) and then they denied they had ever said that and further, are now saying it won't happen.

It is a very good game though, I really enjoyed the campaign and as you say, it is better than any of the other games around now in the same genre.

Crysis 2 is the worst disappointment since the Star Wars prequels. Terrible game. The levels are tiny and devoid of real choice, cliche sewer levels, forced tiny room "hold the hill" sort of objectives, very dumbed down graphics. They took everything unique about Crysis and replaced it with Call of Duty.

Crytek is a sad sad company.

No, it's nothing like CoD.

Compared to it's predecessor, it is very limited but it does not have the degree of linearity of the bulk of it's contemporaries.

Cliche sewer levels? Have you actually played the game for any period of time because there is no 'sewer' level. There are a few levels where you move through sewers briefly but I doubt it amounts to 5 minutes of gameplay in total.

I agree that some people may not like it,afterall it's all about the taste but compare it to COD??!!

The latest CODs are shooters on rails,ffs they are made with "press maximum of 2 buttons" and I even expect the next Cod game to actually play by itself while our only actions will be to press a button in quick time events.

Sorry but that comparation is very bad,Crysis 2 is a solid fps and a good direction for fps games if they still want to be fun in this fps saturated market while the Cods are becoming more like interactive B movies.

I agree that some people may not like it,afterall it's all about the taste but compare it to COD??!!

The latest CODs are shooters on rails,ffs they are made with "press maximum of 2 buttons" and I even expect the next Cod game to actually play by itself while our only actions will be to press a button in quick time events.

Sorry but that comparation is very bad,Crysis 2 is a solid fps and a good direction for fps games if they still want to be fun in this fps saturated market while the Cods are becoming more like interactive B movies.

??????

Crysis 2 really requires the same amount of button presses to play and easily beat the game. Oh....you can cloak with button, that really takes it to a whole new level. And really? Crysis 2 has a terrible hollywood story and cinematic setup made specifically for dumb people with ADD.