Sign in to follow this  
celery

FPS drop in 78188 compared to 1.57

Ok I have done some testing and I was so happy because for once I got good performance by actually upping the detail.

I set my AA to low and managed to get more fps looking at trees and tree areas than when off or some times it stayed the same.

I then played a mission that forced grass on and then I was stuffed and I am gutted its grass causing problems when you have AA on looky at my test.

KEY

TD terrain detail

AA anti analysing

Ok results and tests

AA off

TD very low AKA no grass

2rcqs7b.jpg

60 fps

AA low

TD very low AKA no grass

281813k.jpg

60 fps

AA low

TD normal AKA grass

s2h1mc.jpg

30fps+laggy mouse input/feels very swimmy

AA off

TD normal AKA grass

28vzr6u.jpg

60fps

So I hope this helps a little

Thanks and sorry if links are wrong or breaks rules etc.

And before you say its because grass hogs the GPU etc it cant as when AA is off I get 60 fps its only when AA is on and grass I get a slow down.

Edited by stk2008

Sorry :P

Q6700 @ stock speeds 2.67Mhz :P

ATI 4890 1gb not OC 11.1 drivers

4GB ram

win7 64 bit

Ok just did more testing with the 1.57 no beta patches and it seems that when I have AA on AND terrain detail on normal (grass) I get the huge FPS hit and swimmy mouse feel.

But I can run AA on max and still get very little fps hit OR I can run terrain detail on normal/max and still suffer very little fps hit.

Its ONLY when I run AA AND Terrain detail at the same time I get this huge hit :(

Its all most like AA is trying to smooth every blade of grass and remove all the jagged edges from each blade of grass?.

EDIT

Looking through the post a little closer I see that some NOT ALL have no AA on but have terrain detail on normal etc.

No Use For A Name and Celery come to mind

Could you test as my above findings.It dont seem to matter to me what version I use I just loose huge amounts of FPS if I run AA and grass on (terrain detail) at the same time,

If I use one or the other I see very little fps hit.

Edited by stk2008

Grass in view with other veg has indeed a big effect on FPS. Lying down and scoping through grass where you see much of the distant grass will drag down the performance. Im running AA as well.

My settings are the usual ones:

Res: 1600x900 (3D Res: 100%)

VD: 2300

Textures: High

Vid.Mem: Default

Aniso: High

AA: High

Terr.Det: Normal

Obj.Det: High

Shadows: High

HDR: Normal

PP: Low

Vsync: Enabled

Reason i didnt run without Vsync was that most people here had such a huge drop in the scopes that it would surely show itself even with Vsync. But i'll test and see the relative drop when i get home from work.

Prodavec: I of course use the build in discussion. :rolleyes:

Edited by Alex72

Hi there.

The thing is I dont have to be looking at trees to get the FPS drop.

If I have grass on and AA then I am stuffed and it should not be there is some thing wrong surley.

I can run very high terrain detail with little FPS drop OR I can run very high AA with very little FPS drop.

I can run very high AA and look at trees and get very little FPS drop.

But I cant even run very low AA and grass at the same time like I said its all most like AA is trying to effect every blade of grass.

I can confirm this as well. I'm using 2x GTX275 in SLI With regular 1.57 and using a specific testing area,

18fps when looking at a particular church + buildings

38fps when looking at a field with lots of trees in the background (GPU usage: 50%)

60fps when scoped in and looking at the trees (GPU Usage 85%)

with the beta

18fps when looking at a particular church + buildings

38fps when looking at a field with lots of trees in the background (GPU usage: 50%)

15fps when scoped in and looking at the trees (GPU Usage 95%)

***edit:*** using 50% 3d resolution

70fps when in and looking at the trees (GPU usage 22%)

WOWZORS 75% drop! :eek: that's probably because i'm running at such a massive 3d resolution.

Res: 1920x1080 (3D Res: 3840x2160)

VD: 2000

Textures: Very High

Vid.Mem: Default

Aniso: Very High

AA: disabled (so ATOC isn't utilised??)

Terr.Det: Very Low

Obj.Det: Very Low

Shadows: Very High

HDR: High

PP: Disabled

Vsync: Disabled

-----------------------------------------------

I will say that in the beta patch LOD swapping is drastically different, the trees are super sharp when scoped in vs not super sharp on 1.57 when scoped in. But that much of a difference? just doesn't seem right

edit: given the framerate different on 50% vs 200% (yeah yeah I know its rendering 4x more) i'd say it's something to do with some sort of behind the scenes AA? i've tried ATOC=0 and it makes no difference, are you absolutely sure its disabled?

edit: build 77159 yields same results as 78188. Build 76815 yields same results as 1.57

so as was mentioned before its almost definately

[76871] Reduced lod switching in dense (forsest, town) scenes.

it couldn't be

[76930] Fixed: More reliable VRAM detection on Vista/Win7 (using DXGI)

because i've tried setting my video ram setting to normal/high and it yields the same results

I don't mean to blow the whistle here but wouldn't it make more logical sense to add a few new commands into the .cfg file along the lines of

LOD_TreeDetail = 0.0-1.0

LOD_VehicleDetail = 0.0-1.0

LOD_CharacterDetail = 0.0-1.0

LOD_ObjectDetail = 0.0-1.0

Allowing us to manually define LOD swapping priority rather than relying on a predetermined value set by the devs that will never suit everybody's hardware. And for the people in the year 2020 who can finally play this game smoothly can opt to set 0.0 and have no LOD swapping even over 10k

Edited by Millenium7

... And for the people in the year 2020 who can finally play this game smoothly can opt to set 0.0 and have no LOD swapping even over 10k

Not gonna happen.

Just load up OFP Resistance 1.96 and try max settings, it cripples my current system because it doesn't use my hardware as it should.

(terrain detail v high, 5k VD. hey! my computer froze!? using Desert island?! :eek: )

;)

edit: given the framerate different on 50% vs 200% (yeah yeah I know its rendering 4x more)

Actually it renders 16x more. E.g. 10x20 = 200 pixels, while 40x80 = 3200 pixels.

-Ziggy-;1857192']Not gonna happen.

Just load up OFP Resistance 1.96 and try max settings' date=' it cripples my current system because it doesn't [i']use[/i] my hardware as it should.

(terrain detail v high, 5k VD. hey! my computer froze!? using Desert island?! :eek: )

;)

well, I can run arma2 everything maxed out (minus antialiasing) at 10k viewdistance on basic missions without 'too' much trouble, but when you start throwing in triggers and a bunch of other stuff no chance. An empty map though? no problem at ~30fps

---------- Post added at 05:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 AM ----------

Actually it renders 16x more. E.g. 10x20 = 200 pixels, while 40x80 = 3200 pixels.

I was about to point out your incorrect math, however i'd forgotten i'd wrote 50% instead of 100%.

Anyway back on topic, massive horrendous FPS loss...

i definitely sign the huge fps drop with vegitation scince new betas.

actually playing 1.57 and can scope through vegitation with no problems ... ok at object detail of "very low" because the leafy trees are just bad models for a game - they look nice but the performance i unrealistic when having more than one tree in view. with gtx260, q6600, 6gb and ssd i should at least be able to play at "normal" though...

the huge differences in performance is what realy annoys me, when there is no tree in view or a little away to not show the first three lods - i have ultra smooth performance, with vegitaion in sight my mouse feels like its weighten 2 tons or something. all in all i would say that arma 2 has much problems with graphics cards and i cant imagine that any computer without sli can run with aa+ppe+trees !?

i do not have (much) dropdown whith some ai or triggers scince some full patches ago, even the chernarus mission from harvest red i can play without much cpu related stutter.

with AA or without AA ?

if with AA then with or without ATOC (cfg set it to 0)?

with AA or without AA ?

i will do some more testing and give you some fps results tomorow, for now:

- 1.57 without AA = nearly no fps drop near trees, in woods, when scoping through treetops; mouse stays smooth & responsive

- 1.57 with AA = huge performance drop near trees, VERY slow mouse and low responsiveness when scoping and even rmb zoom. AA generaly slows my mouse down to the extreme, even when away from vegitation

- beta without AA & ATOC = strangely nearly same as 1.57 with AA (noticed that you get much higher tree lods in zoom mode compared to 1.57 - loading these huge lods takes 1-2 seconds of massive stutter)

- beta with AA = much weaker gpu performance than 1.57 with AA, implayable when near leafy trees - zoom kills 90% of fps, even trees that where no problem with 1.57 make my gfx struggle

- beta with AA & ATOC = pretty good performance when vegitation is ~50m away, but the very worst performance drop while scoping ever

ill give some more details tomorow.

gtx260, q6600, 6gb, ssd

I have also noticed worse performance and more shuttering after when the ATOC was included in beta. Even when I play AA off. Especially forests and towns feel more heavy.

Comp: Q6600, HD6870 (10.12), 4gb, Vista 64bit.

with AA or without AA ?

Initially I assumed the culprit was Atoc, but even when I disabled AA/Atoc (going back to the 1.57 look) my FPS would still plummet when scoping in on foliage with the beta.

just noticed Millenium7s post on the previus page and thats excactly what i experienced.

the reason for the huge performance difference realy seems to be the new lod handling ... too bad that its better looking.

i play at 1920x1200 with 100% 3D resolution.

Initially I assumed the culprit was Atoc, but even when I disabled AA/Atoc (going back to the 1.57 look) my FPS would still plummet when scoping in on foliage with the beta.

same here :)

The fps drop is the same in 1.58 RC.

The fps drop is the same in 1.58 RC.

Correct. Also its almost unplayable for me now on Utes or Chernarus. Utes was always (unless played with massive AI) 60FPS+ for me (Vsync limit), now its felt like 25 at max.

Takistan runs fine though :j:

Still can't use new betas because of FPS drop, especially in vegetations.

Yep sadly no change.. especially in towns doing RMB zoom means FPS down to 10-20s..