Sign in to follow this  
thomas c

Experiments that see into the future.

That is indeed interesting. I will try to learn after exams if i have the feeling that it didn´t go well

Wow, nice article. If this is true, it could help ArmA2 players that find the game too hard.

A lot of ppl complained about how they got shot from somewhere without ever seeing AI enemies, right?

If this article is true, ppl would instantly know where the enemy is when we would exchange all enemy models with naked chickz & gunz. :D

Also, dePBOing a mission after you've played it (to see the enemy patrol waypoints) would make it easier for you beforehand. ;)

Snark notwithstanding, I do think these kinds of experiments are incredibly fascinating. There is a rather consistent theme in the scientific studies that suggests we really don't know as much as we think we know about the subconscious mind.

In terms of replicating this guy's results, it would be very interesting, too, if there were certain places that were more conducive to this type of thing than others.

BS until proven otherwise. The article mentioned that a test already failed to replicate the results.

What? Apparently, scanning and retyping those words later somehow improved recall earlier. Cue the Twilight Zone music

Whoah! :eek:

... we really don't know as much as we think we know about the subconscious mind.

Too true. Take this guy who broke his brain, but now it seems to be a weird graphical super-computer!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4913196365903075662#

He's just 1 of a few with truely amazing brain function.

I noticed something just now. These are all correlative experiments, but he's talking like they establish this as fact, which is strange.

Ahhh, statistics. I don't think it deserves the name experiment.

And to call 53 % (3 % deviation) proof...

Any model of "the future" one can think of is questionable. In most cases when people say future, they imagine a film, a frame sequence lying on a single thread. That would mean everything is already determined. This by definiton prevents time travel, but that's another story. And if you try to expand the idea of future in a non-deterministic way, you soon discover it becomes equivalent to "no future at all".

To be of any use, a leak from the future would require that the future already happened or, to put it correctly, that the future will happen exactly as the leak suggests. If not - if you could dramatically change the course of the future with present actions, then what was the point of the leak. The leak is then no better than your imagination.

I do not believe in future. :)

I say blasphemy. heretics. burn them in the stakes. Where are the inquisitor when you need it... (cue for the monthy python inquisition here)

:D

some of his conclusions were pretty silly and it's obvious other factors were involved instead of "time travel"

That is indeed interesting. I will try to learn after exams if i have the feeling that it didn´t go well

Learning after exams is a good thing. It can help you do well on subsequent exams. But if a past exam didn't go well, then you didn't study effectively before or after the test. You can't travel back in time and improve your grade. This would expose you to a paradox. If you studied after a test to improve a grade and actually improved it to a satisfactory level, what would motivate you to improve it in the first place?

Ahhh, statistics. I don't think it deserves the name experiment.

And to call 53 % (3 % deviation) proof...

3% is actually quite a large effect size. Years ago I could have gone more into detail about the kind of study and what kind of statistics he may have used, but I forget all that stuff now. I guess what this means is, on average, if you study after an exam, you can expect a 3% increase in grade. This is of course if the results of the experiment is true. They are not if the experiment can't be replicated.

Learning after exams is a good thing. It can help you do well on subsequent exams. But if a past exam didn't go well, then you didn't study effectively before or after the test. You can't travel back in time and improve your grade. This would expose you to a paradox. If you studied after a test to improve a grade and actually improved it to a satisfactory level, what would motivate you to improve it in the first place?

There's no paradox, because the reported effect is only 3%.

3% is actually quite a large effect size. Years ago I could have gone more into detail about the kind of study and what kind of statistics he may have used, but I forget all that stuff now. I guess what this means is, on average, if you study after an exam, you can expect a 3% increase in grade. This is of course if the results of the experiment is true. They are not if the experiment can't be replicated.

Yeah, the 3% is statistically large enough for medical professionals to say things like Aspirin decreases the chances of heart attack (as indicated in the report) yet the same gap in this experiment makes professionals question it :)

There's no paradox, because the reported effect is only 3%.

It is a paradox if your reason for studying more is the grade you already got. Say you were 2% off of a B, the grade you were shooting for...

Yeah, the 3% is statistically large enough for medical professionals to say things like Aspirin decreases the chances of heart attack (as indicated in the report) yet the same gap in this experiment makes professionals question it :)

The larger the sample size, and the more experiments that are published for meta-analysis, the greater the confidence in their over-all findings. I'm interested in the results either way. Hopefully it doesn't blow up his career. I think experimenters should be free to pursue reasonable research without ridicule. Especially in psychology, which is sort of this pre-paradigmatic science with very rigorous testing standards but very difficult to contol test subjects and effects.

Edited by Max Power