Sign in to follow this  
digitalcenturion

WIP: Combine Transhuman Overwatch forces (help needed)

Is this gonna be turned into a full Half-Life 2 mod? Would be kind of kewl…complete with City 17 map, airboat, dune buggy and all the other goodies found in HL2. :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haha! Damned, now I wanna go play HL2.

Man... I'm so looking forward to these! :D

Some Xm8 and Mp7 action, and finally WE get to play as zé allmighty combine.

Some varying units would be cool. Even tho they are supersoldiers, everyone has their own taste where the pouches go ;)

Hi people,

back from a hectic weekend so no further progress to report I'm afraid. I'm still a bit stumped as to what to do next with my dudes, I guess i need to do named selections now? Or are thos needed for soldier?

Then LODs

then export

then weighting

and it should work?

Man, it would be so much easier to port this to say fallout new vegas for which i have a working pipeline. Oh well.

Regarding full Hl2 mod, yeah, that WOULD be great but perhaps not super realistic, not unless some other modders started helping out. I'm gonna start small, and then build from there. I really wish i could work faster. But there are alot of great community assets that could be reworked and made to fit perfectly. Also, I think most of the guerilla and insurgent assets from A2 works perfectly as they are. An island would be great, but trust me, that is heaps of work. Also, a bunch of simple wall props would be great. But lets not get ahead of ourselves :P

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

And since i am bored, some alternate urban camo patterns:

Urban T VS Digital blue

renders4.jpg and renders5k.jpg

Both look good to me,do you plan different versions(pocket size,grenades etc.) for ex. a soldier,a grenadier or a machine gunner?

Regarding the full mod I think it's a shitload of work,a strider or a dropship would be kickass but I think it's pretty hard to make that machine&organic combination in A2.I would be more than happy with only the grunts and assign them equipment or vehicles from standard A2CO.

We only see vehicles and hardware from City 17 in HL2 and it's hard to believe Combine are using only an apc model,gunship and strider as their military backbone,who knows what they have on the rest of the planet.

Very nice DigitalCenturion! I like what I'm seeing here!

Both look good to me,do you plan different versions(pocket size,grenades etc.) for ex. a soldier,a grenadier or a machine gunner?

Regarding the full mod I think it's a shitload of work,a strider or a dropship would be kickass but I think it's pretty hard to make that machine&organic combination in A2.I would be more than happy with only the grunts and assign them equipment or vehicles from standard A2CO.

We only see vehicles and hardware from City 17 in HL2 and it's hard to believe Combine are using only an apc model,gunship and strider as their military backbone,who knows what they have on the rest of the planet.

Well they also have the Hunter Choppers, Hunters(Mini striders), Headcrab Canister Launchers, Mortar and Crab Synths(you see them in a few parts of Hl2 but don't fight them), and Advisors.

well the hunter helicopter is... well possible, but you'd need to "Make models and shit!" <- I use this phrase because I do not know all exact phases requires to build a complete addon, so excuse me

I'll be happy with the combine units whenever they get out ^^

It's not making models and texturing that scares me, but getting them ingame :) If someone where to port all my shit I could be making pretty much any Combine vehicle possible in the A2 engine in 3ds max. You can consider that a promise :) But alas, since i really do want to learn how to work the tools after being a fan of the series for almost a decade, I think i better work on these dudes first, then build from there. But yeah, there will be different loadouts with different pouch distributions, different camo patterns and later on different soldier types.

The strider would be epic, hunters aswell, but a good retex of some of the more futuristic addons out there would go a long way.

...since i really do want to learn how to work the tools after being a fan of the series for almost a decade...

You definitely picked the hardest type of model to get into the game first. Vehicles/weapons are far easier to get into the game than people.

Abs

Well, duh, we don't want it to be easy, do we? ;)

Q: When you have weighted the model in O2 and proceed to make lods by using the functionality built into o2, will the weighting remain?

It is not as hard as everyone keeps saying. Just open your model in o2 and open example soldier model next to it in another o2. Switch back and fourth between the two and copy what you see in example soldier model. I got a few Arma and OFP models on my computer that I have done the same way and they work fine. Just take your time and be prepared to save often.

Well, duh, we don't want it to be easy, do we? ;)

Q: When you have weighted the model in O2 and proceed to make lods by using the functionality built into o2, will the weighting remain?

I'd imagine so. LODs are named vertex selections. If you copy a LOD and reduce it, the vertexes that remain will still be in the selections you set initially. The worst that can happen is they require adjustment.

The helmet is looking good! On the body, watch the silhouette and cross sectional shape. Both are very static. The cross section looks very boxy. I realize you are trying to convey body armour but it's not the best shape for a dynamic soldier unit from a design standpoint.

Try to incorporate some of the natural curvature of the human torso into the model. This is, of course, the shape that the armour is covering. The armour will express those shapes.

default_leonardo_exc_10_0706141027_id_44078.jpg

You can see in the original design that the torso is slightly larger at the top than at the belly/waist area, and it's slightly curved. This is not so apparent when they are in their firing stance (which is 90% of the time).

Combine_super_soldier.jpg