Sign in to follow this  
skaith57

Enemies

Hello,

I have a question for you. You can tell me why the enemies during battles do not use the buildings.

Thank you.

I think it's not in their program. When they get into fights, their scripts are to manoeuvre and out flank, not take up static positions.

Well, sometimes they do.

Some weeks ago I entered a building and was shot from a AI lying in front of me. I was absolutely scared because I didn't expect this. I'm pretty sure that there was no script used in this mission.

But to be honest this was the only time I saw this. :)

They simply prefer the open terrain. Buildings and close compounds could be a ideal trap! ;)

Undeceived thats very rare like AI's throwing handgrenades into buildings.

I've noticed that individual AI have a better time both entering and moving thru a house then do squads. Would love to see either a Clear House added in which the game takes into account the size of squad, then divies them up according to how many house positions there are. So if the AI is commanding 24 men and there are only 6 house positions, 2 per House position and the rest taking position outside would suffice. Ideally, they could run thru several buildings at once if the squad were that large but now I'm just getting greedy.

Would also like a default switch to Clear House if an AI squad is under a Search and Destroy order and spot an enemy inside of a structure.

Edited by froggyluv

In the OA Shapur industrial complex area I've seen AI troops climbing ladders to take up positions on platforms

It really depends on what games you are talking about. Some Arma2 missions involve clearing buildings of enemies. I'm thinking more of missions in user-made campaigns, like Bastard Squad (by Cheesus) and the Seal Team Series and Delta Ops by Sick1 where much time may be spent going room-to-room and playing cat-and-mouse with the enemy. Another tactic is to use grenades (frags or M203s) to clear rooms (usually from a safe distance, ie through outside windows and doors). Also, if you use realism add-ons like Zeus_AI and CBA, you will find enemies using buildings for cover more often.

If you are hiding in a building, they will enter to look for you but they will not climb stairs.

-

If you are hiding in a building, they will enter to look for you but they will not climb stairs.

-

Although they do climb ladders. I remember lying prone on a building during a firefight in Takistan. I was wounded, so I called for a medic. After a few minutes I suddenly found myself being healed by a guy crouching next to me on the roof. I never heard or saw him coming, but when he was done, he strolled back to the ladder, climbed down and ran off.

It should even be on my YouTube channel, since I happened to be FRAPSing at the time.

-

Well i cant speak for all stairs, however the Villa on Zarsabagd (no hope in hell spelling that) they will walk up the stairs to catch you off guard.

Well i cant speak for all stairs, however the Villa on Zarsabagd (no hope in hell spelling that) they will walk up the stairs to catch you off guard.

Oh yeah, that's true. I've seen this aswell.

They do use stairs and ladders. Have seen them doing that multiple times. This can be a really nasty surprise if you are on the roof and hear someone climbing up, and you think "oh this must be my squad mate" and get killed from behind

Although they do climb ladders. I remember lying prone on a building during a firefight in Takistan. I was wounded, so I called for a medic. After a few minutes I suddenly found myself being healed by a guy crouching next to me on the roof. I never heard or saw him coming, but when he was done, he strolled back to the ladder, climbed down and ran off.

It should even be on my YouTube channel, since I happened to be FRAPSing at the time.

Geeze ... you must be great squad mate. A "golden boy". Seems like my own medics never help me, let alone climb onto rooftops to attend to me. That would be the day! How long do you wait? I usually hit the "Revert" button when I get incapacitated, because I can only stand so much watching myself wriggling, bitching, squirming and doing the "worm" for 3 minutes or more.

With Zeus_AI mod, enemy medics will attend to you and then take you prisoner. That was quite a shock the first time when in Warfare (Lingor), a guerrilla in a balaclava walked up to me started giving me first aid.

Edited by MissionCreep

They do use stairs and ladders. Have seen them doing that multiple times. This can be a really nasty surprise if you are on the roof and hear someone climbing up, and you think "oh this must be my squad mate" and get killed from behind

I have also seen them use ladders and stairs to try to come kill me. They do rarely take up positions in houses as a defensive measure though.