Sign in to follow this  
infiltrator_2k

Does ArmA 2 Warrant An Additional Video Tutorial Disc?

Every game gets the usual instruction manual, although due to its complexity, would you like to see ArmA 2 get an additional video tutorial disc? Perhaps a Special Edition version that includes the additional disc. Would you be prepared to pay a little more for this additional content?

Tutorial for what? Playing the game? Or using the editor?

Tutorial for what? Playing the game? Or using the editor?

From the mind numbingly installation process to ArmA 2's controls, tactics, tips, joining/hosting MP, using the editor etc.. etc..

Depends on how deep the content is. Id say the community provides allready great tutorials, for example Mr.Murray or several Cam Scripting guides. Id rather see more Updates from BIS on their BIKI!

From the mind numbingly installation process to ArmA 2's controls, tactics, tips, joining/hosting MP, using the editor etc.. etc..

I'm sorry, i don't find any of that bind boggling..I mean the playing part of it.

If you have played any of the proper PC games in the past (not talking here about the console ports), you should be having no issue with A2 either. I guess it is very different if you are coming from a console box though

Regarding Editing part of the game, as said, the community already has sove very well made materials, such a Mr Murrays Editing Guide, or DSL Tactical Guide for A2 (for tactics and tips).

I'm sorry, i don't find any of that bind boggling..I mean the playing part of it.

If you have played any of the proper PC games in the past (not talking here about the console ports), you should be having no issue with A2 either. I guess it is very different if you are coming from a console box though

I can't name any other game, pc or otherwise, that requires you to think like ArmA 2 does. A guide about how to climb into a chopper and start the engine would suck. A guide about how to do a good strafing run would not suck.

Regarding Editing part of the game, as said, the community already has sove very well made materials, such a Mr Murrays Editing Guide, or DSL Tactical Guide for A2 (for tactics and tips).

Reading hundreds of pages of text, even if they are illustrated, is different from seeing it in action.

Meh, if it pays for itself then fine but exploring the game and working out how things work is part of the appeal and contributes to its longevity.

If everything's handed to you on a platter then what's the point? Wouldn't it be time to move on when you know it all?

Hmmm good point. I think there'd still be fun to be had in multiplayer, but the experimenting is a big part of what I do with the game.

would you like to see ArmA 2 get an additional video tutorial disc? Perhaps a Special Edition version that includes the additional disc.

Would you be prepared to pay a little more for this additional content?

Now that i think about I can relate to Defunkt in what he said, i remember way back when OFP came out and I got the demo for it,

I found the demo to be incredibly challenging but that was just my skill level if you will at the time, as I was used to medal of honor,

call of duty (first one), and delta force comanche4 ect.,

I put the demo down only to come back later like a week or so and play it again. It was a new way of doing things, I mean it was free and open,

not like COD where your running down a corridor and fighting enemies you literally run into, I mean you really had no choice,

u couldn't go to the next thing til the level was clear.

My point being that over the years after buying OFP, and the expansions, and then Arma, and Arma2, ect,.

it was a growing and learning experience, better yet exciting, the game presented a challenge that really no other game I had played presented.

I mean dont get me wrong other games had their challenge but after a bit of time and really not long you were top of your game,

with Arma2 and the like you were never seriously at the top of your game, I mean, the game never stopped presenting challenges to you.

Whats really cool is the fact that when you do want to know something its more exciting to seek it out and discover for yourself

then to have it handed to you, because the sense of accomplishment from the discovery/s you make or have made are what its about,

and as you get better at whatever, like editing, took me a long time to get to where I am now, but I learned as I went.

Imagination is the key. I love this game because its like a career game, well maybe that sounds dumb but seriously what other

game have you spent many years playing that has so much to offer, since 2001 I am still learning new things, and finding better ways to do missions,

and learning along the way.

If you think about it there is a chance that a new player to the game would play it for a bit and then move on or a player that finds

that game they been looking for, and would do what it takes to learn whatever to have a better game, and considering the complexity

of installation in some areas, controls, scripting, editing, and whatever else, the game is pretty complete if you look at what it all has to offer,

theres so much to this game that what you see on the menu ingame is only a small fraction of what actually goes on behind the scenes.

Being that complex I will take my time and learn and discover everything that interests me that the game/s have to offer.

As for tutorials, their all in the forums here,

just ask and their free just like everything else after you buy the game intially, :)

Hope my short novel wasn't to long :D

Hey infiltrator,

check this site out for tactics and tips.

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/

Yes, a very good guide :) I've been waiting for a PDF version, no doubt they're be one floating around somewhere by now. I just think video tutorials help people learn quicker and retain information easier when they're shown in practical terms. You also have to consider those who are dyslexic.

Edited by Infiltrator_2K

Now that i think about I can relate to Defunkt in what he said, i remember way back when OFP came out and I got the demo for it,

I found the demo to be incredibly challenging but that was just my skill level if you will at the time, as I was used to medal of honor,

call of duty (first one), and delta force comanche4 ect.,

I put the demo down only to come back later like a week or so and play it again. It was a new way of doing things, I mean it was free and open,

not like COD where your running down a corridor and fighting enemies you literally run into, I mean you really had no choice,

u couldn't go to the next thing til the level was clear.

My point being that over the years after buying OFP, and the expansions, and then Arma, and Arma2, ect,.

it was a growing and learning experience, better yet exciting, the game presented a challenge that really no other game I had played presented.

I mean dont get me wrong other games had their challenge but after a bit of time and really not long you were top of your game,

with Arma2 and the like you were never seriously at the top of your game, I mean, the game never stopped presenting challenges to you.

Whats really cool is the fact that when you do want to know something its more exciting to seek it out and discover for yourself

then to have it handed to you, because the sense of accomplishment from the discovery/s you make or have made are what its about,

and as you get better at whatever, like editing, took me a long time to get to where I am now, but I learned as I went.

Imagination is the key. I love this game because its like a career game, well maybe that sounds dumb but seriously what other

game have you spent many years playing that has so much to offer, since 2001 I am still learning new things, and finding better ways to do missions,

and learning along the way.

If you think about it there is a chance that a new player to the game would play it for a bit and then move on or a player that finds

that game they been looking for, and would do what it takes to learn whatever to have a better game, and considering the complexity

of installation in some areas, controls, scripting, editing, and whatever else, the game is pretty complete if you look at what it all has to offer,

theres so much to this game that what you see on the menu ingame is only a small fraction of what actually goes on behind the scenes.

Being that complex I will take my time and learn and discover everything that interests me that the game/s have to offer.

As for tutorials, their all in the forums here,

just ask and their free just like everything else after you buy the game intially, :)

Hope my short novel wasn't to long :D

Quoted because I can't say it any better... good stuff there.

While this is the most challenging game series I have ever played it is also by far the most rewarding.

Controls are not hard at all. They are standard FPS shooter controls, with a few extra tactical buttons you use with the scroll wheel.

The tutorials in OA are very easy to go through and informative.

It's just that, to become good, you have to learn the tactical controls well (spacebar, map, period button).

Being a grunt and shooting people shouldn't be too hard, and you learn stuff as you go along.

For whatever reason, I found the training missions in OA much better than other before it in the Arma 2 series. even so, there was a learning curve in Arma 2, which I'm sure the OP is getting at.

I would pay exra for a DVD full of basic training, tactics and even better a visual review and lessons in the editor. Sure these can be find with some searching and come in varying degrees, but it would be a lot better to have it on disc.

Besides, I'd like to see the other half's eyes roll when I throw the DVD in for an evenings entertainment:bounce3:

I totally respect what a lot of you guys as saying, and I know where you're coming from... the more you put into ArmA 2 the more you'll be rewarded, and I loathe people wanting to be spoon fed anything. I think labelling a video named 'Tutorial' can be a little ambiguous to say the least... Maybe a short video would be nice giving FPS shooters fans a heads up of what to expect from ArmA, i.e. the complexity of the controls etc.. a feature about ArmA's history, development and asperations would be cool. Hell, I'd love to see the development team at work and hear their perspective on ArmA and what they envisage for its future.

There are already some very basic tutorial videos from BIS. Not sure if you are aware of them:

SSKIgfdg7fY

also No.2:

and No.3:

Personally, I think the ingame tutorial is enough.

Maybe a short video would be nice giving FPS shooters fans a heads up of what to expect from ArmA, i.e. the complexity of the controls etc.. a feature about ArmA's history, development and asperations would be cool. Hell, I'd love to see the development team at work and hear their perspective on ArmA and what they envisage for its future.
A good trailer could do this. A one that would show the possibilities of Arma and what to expect - something along the lines of
(altough this doesn't really show the complexity of controls).

There are already some very basic tutorial videos from BIS. Not sure if you are aware of them:

SSKIgfdg7fY

also No.2:

and No.3:

Personally, I think the ingame tutorial is enough.

A good trailer could do this. A one that would show the possibilities of Arma and what to expect - something along the lines of

(altough this doesn't really show the complexity of controls).

Damn, I remember that video! I can't believe it's been 18 months since I watched it :eek:

One of the forum members named ‘Baz’ did make a video tutorial to commanding your AI squad.

The video’s he made are a couple of hours long and are very helpful for a new ( and not so new ) Arma player.

He explains every command you can give to your AI players.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=107231

No. The community already provides the necessary help. The only trouble is probably finding where everything is located. That's where google comes in.

How about a more extensive version of boot camp that allows users more freedom to try different things ... kind of like Armex, allowing you to wander around on your own and do obstacle courses, non-lethal inter-squad exercises (maybe say paintball battles), try out different weapons/equipment etc. My son and I have been having lots of fun at Armex, especially with satchel charges, trying to creatively combine speed, skill and pyrotechnics.