Sign in to follow this  
Chill xl

ToraBora "Sandbox Edition"

I think I spent 1hr flying around looking!!

Worked on me!!

I would link a rick roll, but ... thats a bit old now :) Strangely Rick stays so young.

Let me first say that this map is truly awesome! Very nice and huge.

I'm starting work on a series of Australian missions where it starts from a wholey insurgent occupied zone and each mission will expand on the previous with a FOB slowly being built.

But I've struck my first hurdle. I have used heli insertions previously and just cannot get the helicopters to put down on the ground to unload. I've tried several methods to make them do so but none are working. The heli's just hover about 5 meters up and the guys all bail out injuring themselves. I've tried moving the LZ to different grounds and still the same. These methods do work on other maps so I'm wondering if somehow the map is reporting the ground level incorrectly to the choppers? It's just really really odd and getting very frustrating.

If anyone has successfully used a heli insert would you mind emailing me a copy of your mission to tromac2010@bigpond.com ? Thanks all in advance.

Are you using the AAW black hawks Tromac? I think they may be a issue like that reported

Are you using the AAW black hawks Tromac? I think they may be a issue like that reported

hey Soldier,

yes I'm using the AAW ones so that's a bugger. Any ideas on when or if this is being looked at?

cheers,

Troy

Chill, are you anywhere near being done making major changes to the map? I wanted to start using it and making some missions for it, but would rather wait until it's at a point where no more major changes are being made (such as the caves you said you were adding).

Thanks.

I don't know, depends on what is major. So far i have made just a few major updates and several smaller. I see major update as big changes, map changers involving the heightmap, repositioning towns, forest etc. The caves are imo just a small addon and i think i will only add some details to the map here and there. The biggest thing that might still come is a small FOB somewhere.

Basically "major" to me is "can totally break a mission that was made on an older version".

Don't take this the wrong way, take all the time you need, I just want to know when I can start making missions on this nice island ;)

no problemo, i think you can start with that. The caves for example wont be a problem, unless you happen to have picked exactly the same spot on a 100 km2 map as i did. :)

There will only be added some minor details here and there, that will not change the map etc.

Chill, can you make the road lead off the map to the south, it would add continuity as the road leads off the map to the north.

Now this is a map. I love it, It's very realistic. But what's your opinions on one central paved highway. From what I know about Afghanistan north, sound, east, and west are all connected by a highway system, that curves it's why through the valleys of the huge mountains. This would add a nice dynamic to the map, being opfor and waiting for a convoy to come for an ambush, or having to deliver supplies to a US outpost avoiding IEDs and ambushes. I see there are dirt roads to connect villages which is nice however it's hard to keep track where they are. And I do think swaths of level land in the valleys particularly would be beneficial.

Very nice though very nice.

Any chance something can be done about AI drivers not wanting to stick to the road even in careless mode?

Any chance something can be done about AI drivers not wanting to stick to the road even in careless mode?

I can't say I've seen this problem myself. I use DAC to set up civilian traffic between all of the towns, and they all drive between them pretty much sticking entirely to the road.

i'm currently creating a Fob on this map, its not entirely made by me, i used another FOB temp. for this and edited a bit

some pictures:

arma2oa2011022419242258.jpg

arma2oa2011022419270386.jpg

arma2oa2011022419285657.jpg

arma2oa2011022419293592.jpg

the HLS is on the chinook's place

i'ts the only suitable place i could find on the map, anyone interested??

should i upload it as a demo mission?

edit: Sorry, i corrected the img size

Edited by HaZzaRd^

4 pictures, each 1.7 MB... have you even bothered to spend 2 minutes reading our forum rules?

I doubt that. :mad:

Save images as JPG, will save a lot on image size. Also, imgshack seems to be having a bad week or something, not sure what is up with all this "Domain Unregistered" messages.

i'm currently creating a Fob on this map, its not entirely made by me, i used another FOB temp. for this and edited a bit

the HLS is on the chinook's place

i'ts the only suitable place i could find on the map, anyone interested??

should i upload it as a demo mission?

Looks very good, I'd be interested in trying it out.

Nice work, the base is looking good. I guess it's somewhere near Jool Hul or Kambanush mountain in the north east ?

yeah it's indeed near Jool Hul.

here is the demo mission:

http://download776.mediafire.com/3w3p4w5lcqog/csd6siqrb1hx01j/Tora%2520Bora%2520FOB.torabora.zip

it is stil very WIP, the O.P. is not even started yet.

tell me what you guys think

Wow, nicely pimped base! Thanks very much for that HaZzaRd.

EDIT: I have noticed though that AI have quite a bit of trouble navigating into or around the base.

Edited by tpw

Amazing island - warfare works a treat on it,so many rocks,valleys etc to fight around!:cool: