Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2, version 1.08 - Patch Released.

wipman AI don't see thru bushes ... they have viewblock

fallen trees has view blocking volume falling with the tree aswell .

typical myth...

I seem to be getting kicked out of every server i join. I can get into the server lobby but when i click ok to load up it kicks me out.

There is no message or anything.

download BAF 101 again and install it, that worked for me,

very small download it only takes seconds

download BAF 101 again and install it, that worked for me,

very small download it only takes seconds

well this is ARMA 2 thread , so he for sure don't have A2: BAF :cool:

i think he has the BattlEye problem ,which is discussed in MP section @ BE sticky

Hi, what i find most annoying and certainly a game breaker thing, is the weapon sway rather than the recoil, standing, on the knees and prone; over all the weapon sway with the handguns, that haven't been touched from the Armed Assault 1.

It's impossible to hit anything at 10m if you're walking (slowly) aiming down the sights with an Aimpoint sighted weapon, let alone the ACOG sighted or any other weapon with zoom, so the AIs have a huge huge advantage over you because of this; and not only that... the AI see thru grass, bushes and fallen threes too. But on the weapons handling again... the M16/M4 series are famous for it's low recoil and how they handle it, moving the gun more backwards than how a G3 style weapon does, that this is moving the gun tip upwards and to the left much more than backwards. But again, what's much more unrealistic and really bad in gaming therms in my opinion, is the weapon sway, over all with the handguns... booth animations need a serious correction ASAP, because the actual weapons sway forces you to act as a static defence only; stopping for Hit On Target by force if you want to fireback effective fire at less than 20m, on Single, Burst or Auto, that don't matters because we're talking about the weapon sway when you're walking, not the recoil, that matters less in this case as IRL. That's what bothers me the most about the weapons handling, not the recoil; that i agree... needs a retouch on all the weapons. Let's C ya

Walk while standing, not crouched. If you still can't shoot anything, get better.

Edited by Steakslim

wipman AI don't see thru bushes ... they have viewblock

fallen trees has view blocking volume falling with the tree aswell .

typical myth...

I hear you about the bushes. But tree canopies aren't always that reliable for blocking line of sight. I have had squad members call out targets through 150m of solid leaves.

Of course, that may have been caused by the major spotting glitch that is still in the game. Objects block vision enough to conceal you in combat, but sometimes the AI will spot enemies through entire towns and hillsides.

They seem to catch a fleeting glimpse of a target because some glitch gives them an instant of X-ray vision.

Do you know about this? I'm sure everyone you could ask does.

This is, of course, random, semi-rare and impossible to reproduce, so there probably isn't a ticket on CIT.

Edit: And you've fixed a whole lot of stuff with this patch. May I ask why the speed of sound still isn't working half the time? Most muzzle blast sounds still play instantly. You added this feature in a beta, broke it in a beta, so it can't be that hard to repair.

Uh...in vanilla the recoil is nowhere near that bad Maturin. The only weapons that even give the least bit of trouble firing is the m240 and the mk48, and that's if you wanna rambo it up and try to full auto while standing. If you are running ACE mod I'd suggest you put in a support ticket on their dev tracker about the recoil because their recoil IS much stronger in that mod and can be a hassle at times for anything chambered higher than a 5.56 round, good luck trying to convince them to change it though.

Yeah, I do use ACE. And ACE 1.3 for A2, so no new build is going to help me. It's so bad that I get better accuracy by walking forward and holding the trigger down than standing still and firing in short bursts. That's because there is no recoil when you are moving (another big bug, BIS) and the new recoil is more severe than the aim wobble you get from walking.

Edited by maturin

well this is ARMA 2 thread , so he for sure don't have A2: BAF :cool:

i think he has the BattlEye problem ,which is discussed in MP section @ BE sticky

I haven't had any problem with battleye but from what i'm reading, when you get kicked the server tells you its battleye, and he said he wasn't getting any msg which was what was happening to me, so i'm just guessing he has BAF:o

Fixed: Shadows sometimes disappeared, esp. when sun was behind a player.

This problem certainly isn't fixed.

I never noticed it before you mentioned it in the patch notes, as a matter of fact.

Try it with the shadows of a large tree at 6:00 or so.

@People

For anything's sake. Why is sway so big? It's simple, it's not meant to be realistic, but to prevent multiplayer game from run-n-gun Call of Duty style of gameplay.

I can walk forward and still shoot semi-auto at target's center of mass up to 40 meters.

You can't do this? Fine, then I recommend you Coop gamemode.

@Carl

I don't care about what you've achived. By your respose itself you proved me many things... ;)

I seem to be getting kicked out of every server i join. I can get into the server lobby but when i click ok to load up it kicks me out.

There is no message or anything.

Check this thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=109220

[edit]

Whoa, I've got a big update.

I have reinstalled Arma2 and applied directly the patch 1.00 to 1.08 from Arma2.com.

On the page 2 in this thread, I've posted a benchmark comparison, telling that Arma2 1.08 features a framerate drop, by 1 (please, don't laugh;] )

After what is above mentioned, I decided to do it again.

First try: 29 fps avg.

Second try: 30 fps avg.

(For more details refer to 2nd page.)

Looks like the performance has increased, sorry for questioning you, BI. :)

Now I will look into it and more, so stay tuned.

[edit]

Damn, what a long post became of this...

Checked multiplayer: Everything works flawlessly(Downloaded BattlEye from official site)

Hi, new bugs on the campaign.

- First To Fight.

- When you're on the Khe-Shan's deck hearing the comander or whatever... there is not sound, but you can still see the white text.

- When you follow the S.Leader to the briefing room... there's no sound and the screen turns entirely black seeing only the white text, this happens until the briefing ends.

- When you go to talk to Maddox, if you choose to be chillout with him... the entire screen turns black and you can only see the text, hear the UH-Y Venom's blades but the screen remains entirely black.

I've tried that mission a minute ago, none of this occured. Every aspect of the mission worked flawlessly.

I have found an easter egg:

The USMC officer standing next to briefing room is named Joseph Allen. It's one of the main characters from Modern Warfare 2, haha.

What a coincidence. :D

Dwarden, I have a request.

As already 2 people were having problem with MP issue.

Could you consider making this thread a sticky?

Edited by Vultar

Is it possible to quickly change versions in some way? Or to update OA but not Arma 2? Or by having two installs of the same game?

On the page 2 in this thread, I've posted a benchmark comparison, telling that Arma2 1.08 features a framerate drop, by 1 (please, don't laugh;] )

After what is above mentioned, I decided to do it again.

First try: 29 fps avg.

Second try: 30 fps avg.

My benchmark mission fps varies by 6. Is yours really that consistent to measure a difference of 1?

Excuse me, now it's difference of 2 !

Haha, yes, seems you're right :)

But to be honest, 2 fps is a lot.

Yeah, I do use ACE. And ACE 1.3 for A2, so no new build is going to help me. It's so bad that I get better accuracy by walking forward and holding the trigger down than standing still and firing in short bursts. That's because there is no recoil when you are moving (another big bug, BIS) and the new recoil is more severe than the aim wobble you get from walking.

Not sure I understand your post there. I was saying that the vanilla recoil is not bad until you run ACEmod, where they have different parameters set to increase the effect. Heavier caliber weapons have quite a jump, pretty much anything higher than 5.56 like I mentioned earlier. In other words, complain to the ACE dev team about it, vanilla recoil levels are fine. Unless you mean you only run ArmA2 ace v 1.3 in which case....complain to them anyways?

The problem with the new recoil is that it defies gravity. For some reason it seems to think that after firing a weapon that weighs eight pounds the recoil would cause you to hold it up in the air. It's natural for it to return to battery.

Playing last night with 1.08 I was shot down over water and took an unscheduled swim. I didn't lose a single bit of gear, if this is because of 1.08 thanks a million.

Ahh, well I'm probably going to find out, I finally decided to get OA. Patching shortly.

Of course, that may have been caused by the major spotting glitch that is still in the game. Objects block vision enough to conceal you in combat, but sometimes the AI will spot enemies through entire towns and hillsides

Hi Maturin

It isn't exactly a glitch. The AI doesn't 'see' anything, that is there is no image-recognition by the AI. Whether an AI spots you (or detects an enemy AI) is not and cannot be done by ray-tracing (i.e. calculating line-of-sight). AIUI, it would need something like a Kray or big Beowulf cluster running algorithms that don't yet exist to ray-trace in anything remotely resembling real time.

Instead there's a complex probability calculation. Grass, trees, etc., do affect the statistics of whether the AI detects you or not; however, whatever the actual distribution, at one extreme - with low frequency - the AI might not detect you from very near; at the other extreme it means that infrequently the AI may detect you from a very long way away.

All FPS games have the same issue, and none have ray-tracing.

Take a look at these threads:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=103287

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=81935

especially the posts by BIS' CEO Marek in the second link.

Did you know that you can actually tweak how easily the AI 'sees' or 'hears' you/your team (until you or your team start firing); if not, have a look at Mysteryman5150's fine mod "Infantry Stealth and Recognition Skills":

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9604

You can set different values for different classes of troops, and these are broken down into US, RU, Guerillas and Insurgent categories.

Cheers

Carl

Good to see that BIS is still making some bugfixes and improvements for A2. :)

Just played a bit around here are my observations:

- commanding units/groups with space-mouseclick is again an issue thats was already fixed: the mouse-pointer is off-center and ordering units is clunky

- vehicle gunners/commanders keep on shooting on dead soldiers

Some issues with Eagle Wing campaign:

- intro camera is floating around outside the AH64

- SU25 could be only shot down and destroyed on runway

- teamleader did not wait till all were in the Praha V35 truck, two of them had to run to Balota

- cutscene "choosing matches" kicked in despite enemies were still around and shooting

- arma2.rpt:

Error: post effect with priority 250 already exist.
and many many lines with
Speed range bad: 2.029e+006..2.029e+006,-512000..-512000

Speed range bad: 0.187709..2.029e+006,-512000..0.0329518

First mission on Harvest Red campaign gives these errors
String STR_BriefingRodriguez.bikbSentences_Briefing_A11100 not found

Array index out of range

SetFace error: class CfgFaces.CooperHead.Face19 not found

Error: Error during SetFace - class CfgFaces.CooperHead.Face19 not found

No speaker given, patched to Male01EN

Cannot create non-ai vehicle Ural_ChDKZ,

Cannot create non-ai vehicle FireLit,

and some testing on Utes
class HitPoints::Hitglass not found in Land_Mil_House_dam

Error: Hitpoint Hitglass not found in the model ca\structures\mil\mil_house_dam.p3d (original model ca\structures\mil\mil_house.p3d)

Would be great if BIS will take some time to re-play (?) their own campaigns and missions to see and fix issues.

Some issues with Eagle Wing campaign:

- intro camera is floating around outside the AH64

- SU25 could be only shot down and destroyed on runway

- teamleader did not wait till all were in the Praha V35 truck, two of them had to run to Balota

- cutscene "choosing matches" kicked in despite enemies were still around and shooting

[...]

First mission on Harvest Red campaign gives these errors.

NoRailgunner, I have just tested EW on 1.08. It works very good, without any error.

Same goes for "First to fight" mission. No errors at all.

I guess you should reinstall your Arma2 and apply patch 1.00to1.08 directly.

Hi Maturin

It isn't exactly a glitch. The AI doesn't 'see' anything, that is there is no image-recognition by the AI. Whether an AI spots you (or detects an enemy AI) is not and cannot be done by ray-tracing (i.e. calculating line-of-sight). AIUI, it would need something like a Kray or big Beowulf cluster running algorithms that don't yet exist to ray-trace in anything remotely resembling real time.

Instead there's a complex probability calculation. Grass, trees, etc., do affect the statistics of whether the AI detects you or not; however, whatever the actual distribution, at one extreme - with low frequency - the AI might not detect you from very near; at the other extreme it means that infrequently the AI may detect you from a very long way away.

All FPS games have the same issue, and none have ray-tracing.

Take a look at these threads:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=103287

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=81935

especially the posts by BIS' CEO Marek in the second link.

l

Marek was talking about grass and other procedural clutter. I'm talking about the dev post earlier in this thread.

Stand behind a bush, he doesn't see you. Walk out from behind the bush, he sees you. If that's a probability calculation, then it's one that alternates between 0% and 100% based on the geometry of the 3D object intervening you and the AI. You can see screenshots of the viewblocking shape of a bush in a pre-release dev diary.

So what the heck is "viewblock" if not a property interrupting line of sight? The game occludes sound based on terrain shape, so it knows when something is behind a hill and out of sight.

The game streamlines the process, but to my knowledge I have never been "seen" through a solid object in the game. Put yourself and an AI on opposite sides of the Utes Control Tower. Wait seven years. You'd think a .001% of detection would eventually bear fruit but it does not.

So why does the much better, layered concealment of solid earth and groups of buildings sometimes seem to lose this quality?

Concerning the trees, I just guess that they have less complex, accurate viewblock geometry for performance reasons.

Marek was talking about grass and other procedural clutter. I'm talking about the dev post earlier in this thread.

Apologies if I misunderstood your post, but as I understand the term - quite possibly imperfectly :) - 'viewblock' is one of the functions related to the detection algorithm. Would you be kind enough to PM me a link to the dev screenshots you referred to?

The game streamlines the process, but to my knowledge I have never been "seen" through a solid object in the game. Put yourself and an AI on opposite sides of the Utes Control Tower. Wait seven years. You'd think a .001% of detection would eventually bear fruit but it does not.

I have been 'seen' through a solid object, and more than once. As one example, lying prone right against the wall in the complex to the west of the Utes airfield, I heard a Russian voice from the other side of the wall alert his team to a 'sniper' (I was playing as a US SF marksman). Moments later a team of spetsnaz moved from the road into the complex and attacked me.

In another instance playing thomsonb's "Flashpoint Utes," I spawned in Strelka & almost immediately heard a tank approaching. I hid in a house just a few metres away; the tank arrived a couple of minutes later & parked right outside. Several minutes later it was joined by a Tunguska that also stopped outside the house. After ten minutes on x4 time I gave up & walked out - blam!

There's the phenomenon that if you play as a grunt in an AI-led team, often you'll be assigned targets that are on the other side not just of walls but buildings and hills. Based on my current knowledge & understanding, I can't interpret this as anything other than an outcome of the statistical routine that does not - cannot - accurately take into account topography, etc.

Wait seven years?? :eek: Even on 4x time that's not an experiment I would want to do, it would require leaving the game running 24/7 for 21 months, lol

I think this is getting somewhat off-topic for this thread. I would be happy to continue elsewhere, not least in the hope of becoming better informed :)

Cheers

Carl

Apologies if I misunderstood your post, but as I understand the term - quite possibly imperfectly :) - 'viewblock' is one of the functions related to the detection algorithm. Would you be kind enough to PM me a link to the dev screenshots you referred to?

Every object ingame has a LOD that is designed to stop the AI's view, except for grass which isnt really an object, the mathematical approximation combined with ground type is used for that. The post you are referring to is in a topic (i made) about the viewblocking abilities of grass, which is commenly believed to do nothing at all, while it does do something.

(Not always by the way, but that is another discussion)

I will present you

This:

(Objects, in Arma1)

And this:

(Grass) Edited by NeMeSiS

Vultar did you update your A2 version with latest OA patch 1.55 or only with A2 patch v1.08?

Sorry, I don't have OA.

Only A2 patch v1.08.

I looked for it after posting but couldn't find it. Refer to Nemesis' post.