Sign in to follow this  
soul_assassin

M109A6 Paladin by Soul_Assassin, NouberNou and rexehuk

The general plan is to have the Paladin integrated into the engine. It is too soon to talk about custom scripting, but it is possible that a 3rd Party solution could be used.

kewl. did you uvmap them all on the same part of the texture or? just curious

you make the texture ? wooow really fast !

In the old days it took a team of small boys nearly a year to UV map and bake an AO layer by hand ... these days with computers and whatnot its a matter of a few mouse clicks .

Yes i simplified a little :D

Meaning this stage is more mouse clicks than artistic work , blender will bake an AO layer in 1 click for e.g

I wish there was a weathering and mud button

Wow, i just to crush some poor takistani tanks with this thing.

Will you also add different types of ammo? Or just the vanilla 125mm HE rounds of ArmA?

You're not gonna want to ram anything its made from aluminium as far as I remember :P

Will you also add different types of ammo? Or just the vanilla 125mm HE rounds of ArmA?

This is NOT a tank. It is the last thing you'd wanna bring to a direct fire fight with armor.

Its a 155mm Self-Propelled Howitzer.

This is NOT a tank. It is the last thing you'd wanna bring to a direct fire fight with armor.

Its a 155mm Self-Propelled Howitzer.

But C'mon, you cant claim it'd be ineffective against armor? That 155 sure as hell is gonna leave a nice mark on hostile tanks :D

But C'mon, you cant claim it'd be ineffective against armor? That 155 sure as hell is gonna leave a nice mark on hostile tanks :D

I do not believe there is a 155MM sabot or shape charged round, so no... it probably wouldn't leave a nice mark. Normal HE doesn't really do that much to tank armor.

Also the FCS is meant to hit targets 20Km away, not right next door... Aiming would be a pain in the butt. :p

The field manual for the M109 says basically if you come under any sort of attack: hide or run!

hm...well no it probably won't "kill" modern armor, but at the very least don't you think it would damage the optics and or the main cannon? The gunner can't fire the cannon if he can't look into the scope to see what he's shooting at. It would also certainly be a mobility kill taking out the treads...

And are you sure it wouldn't kill it? I know some IED's in Iraq are made out of HE Mortar rounds, don't Abrams have a little trouble with IED's? Or is it just EFP?

In any case, you're right, a Paladin has no place in a straight up armor fight.

Edited by lo0se

hm...well no it probably won't "kill" modern armor, but at the very least don't you think it would damage the optics and or the main cannon? The gunner can't fire the cannon if he can't look into the scope to see what he's shooting at. It would also certainly be a mobility kill taking out the treads...

And are you sure it wouldn't kill it? I know some IED's in Iraq are made out of HE Mortar rounds, don't Abrams have a little trouble with IED's? Or is it just EFP?

In any case, you're right, a Paladin has no place in a straight up armor fight.

Yea I am sure it could knock tanks around a bit, probably disable a few... But by the time it gets a couple rounds off its going to have a HEAT round through its thin armor and into its magazine of powder bags and 155mm rounds... Wouldn't be a pretty sight to say the least!

Offtopic: As far as I'm aware, explosives like mines and mortar rounds are useful in IED's but it's all to do with how the charge is directed, not the base ingredient itself. Not really relevant to this conversation though. ;)

Theoretically, if a round from a Paladin landed right on top of a tank 20km away, would it not penetrate/compromise the relatively thin top armour of an MBT? (similar to the principle of a Javelin top-shot).

I realise though, that the chances of a direct hit are not certain by any means. Just speaking figuratively.

Edited by Das Attorney

Theoretically, if a round from a Paladin landed right on top of a tank 20km away, would it not penetrate/compromise the relatively thin top armour of an MBT? (similar to a Javelin top-shot).

I realise though, that the chances of a direct hit are not certain by any means. Just speaking figuratively.

Yes, probably... :p A Paladin could also fire a Copperhead round as well (which only exists as a 155mm round by the way BIS ;)) and take out a tank.

Have a look on youtube for AS90 direct fire and 1RHA in Canada , not a Paladin but comparable i guess .

Well, under the right conditions, maybe a little more certain than most would think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM982

oh oh really fast ! if you keep that speed you release it before the weekend

only one thing have you make the interior or you make just the outside ?

Cheaper ways to kill a tank... :p

lol well yea, I never said it was practical. Only Possible.

BTW Soul, The Paladin is coming along very nicely.

What a beauty :756:

Outstanding work Soul Assassin

Are you planning a desert and a woodland version ?