Sign in to follow this  
Banderas

VBS 2 1.40 new features video

OK, so I've decided to make a new topic for it, before (because of my fault) another thread will be jacked.

I found this rather new video, which introduces the new features for VBS 2 1.40

iEJDA7ACi1I

Maybe the most important for people will be the new render-to-texture feature, but other exciting things might be the dynamic view distance, Earth curvation, and the possibilities in the 3D editor.

Edited by Banderas

hmm that articulated trailer also was cool. Well I guess some day we will see these features as well, i dont expect it too soon though.

Yea , the most wanted thing is that render to texture and those mirrors - epic nice

i dont expect it too soon though.

So true , so true :(

Well I guess some day we will see these features as well, i dont expect it too soon though.

Definitely not too soon, at least not until they could implement everything without major problems, at least I've read on HQSim forums that there are many problems with 1.40 now...

In the most positive case I think we might see them as part of a theoretical new DVD (standalone) expansion, assuming BI will ever make one for A2 and if there's enough community pressure from the community, and a bit of competition (like OA seems to me as an answer to OFP:DR)

edit: I say a Thank you to Spark50 to help me correcting with the video embedding code.

Edited by Banderas

that is nice stuff. arma2 looks way better though. but that render to texture was cool, so the the bloody working 3d editor and so many damn well other improvements.

would make perfect additions to an addon pack hey - hint to BIS ;)

Is it just me or did that seem to run with

1.No LOD issues

2.Very very smooth

And loads of other things.

So why do we have so many optimization issues in ARMA ok its not VBS but if it can be done on VBS (performance) why not ARMA why are we struggling to run it on modern computers when its proved that it can be done in VBS.

Oh and btw I want VBS 2 now :O loos awsome :(

I wondered about the smoothness too - some of the scenes are clearly at a lower level of detail than most of us would want to accept in a game, so that could explain it. It would be interesting to know the specs of the system, resolution etc., though this is academic unless you have the deep pockets to join the VBS2 club.

Yes I to would like to know what specs they are using hahaha.

It does seem a little less detail but even still it looked like it runs way better than any video I have seen on ARMA even with less detail.

Oh well all we can do is hope BIS give us VBS2 features in ARMA2 soon :)

Before you start throwing up how much better VBS 2 is, I'd consider you to read this article from SimHQ forums

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3126027/Re_New_VBS2_1_40_features.html

So it looks like that the features are far from perfect in their recent form, it might be a big factor that these aren't implemented into the ArmA series, also governments/armies can pay up to an almost infinite amount of greed for what they wish to have. I know from a forum from Bardosy that VBS series is not that good as they seem from the outside, they have way more bugs/problems than ArmA 2 1.01.

@stk2008

You remember, you didn't see any LOD switch or lagged gameplay from BI's promo videos about ArmA 2 before it came out, right? We can assume that a software development company has waaay better computer capabilities than us, everyday users.

Edit: also keep in mind that VBS 2 uses ArmA 1's version of Virtual Reality, just look at the animations of the Marines disembarking from the MV-22. And Arma 1's engine has been pretty well optimized with the latest patch (1.18)

Is it just me or did that seem to run with

1.No LOD issues

2.Very very smooth

And loads of other things.

So why do we have so many optimization issues in ARMA ok its not VBS but if it can be done on VBS (performance) why not ARMA why are we struggling to run it on modern computers when its proved that it can be done in VBS.

Oh and btw I want VBS 2 now :O loos awsome :(

You know the VBS2 is basicly like ArmA1 but with more stuff etc and they are not using Normal maps or smdi - thats why it goes super smooth

Render to texture, working 3D editor, dynamic view distance, disembark, towing, custom formations were really nice...

It's a nice testbed for future Arma2 stuff... if it's a quick hack they won't port it, but if it's solid, then we may have a chance...

Regarding why it runs so smooth, well, it looks even less detailled than Arma 1 in terms of shaders and it's now running on 2010 computers... no wonder.

Edit : Robert beat me to it. Yes, no normal and spec maps...

Before you start throwing up how much better VBS 2 is, I'd consider you to read this article from SimHQ forums

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3126027/Re_New_VBS2_1_40_features.html

So it looks like that the features are far from perfect in their recent form

I fail to see how you reach the conclusion that VBS is awful based on magnum's inability to install it? (which is caused by an IE8 incompatibility with 7z files)

Edited by DM

Any ways the features in VBS2 look awsome.

If its true what you say then

I am wrong about VBS2 running better than ARMA2 because of a better optimized engine I now realise its because it uses an older and less power hungry engine there for I am wrong.

Any ways theres me statement I was not trying to stir shit I was just a little gutted that I have a good pc and get LOD,Texture and FPS issues.

When I should not be I know the game is vast etc and does what no other does I am just personally a little gutted is all.

I am sure BIS are on top if things like they all ways are they have never let us down BUT I would like to see a little more going into the optimization of ARMA2 then the new DLC thats coming out.

Any who keep up the great work BIS.

They are constantly optimizing the engine, check out the beta patches they improved a lot.

The only feature I'd really like to see in ArmA2 is the render to texture, that would bring us working mirrors and MFDs.

Limited or No RVMAT / Shaders in VBS2, correct?

That might explain people comments about performance

Yes the render to texture does look really cool.we could then have vehicles with the remote gun on top :) and shoot from the safty of the vehicle.

I fail to see how you reach the conclusion that VBS is awful based on magnum's inability to install it? (which is caused by an IE8 incompatibility with 7z files)

Erm not really, it was a bad example maybe, I just linked it to show that there are more problems with the program than with ArmA. Really I concluded it from the statings of Bardosy, one of our country's online game journalists, who you might now for his campaigns (Perpetua, Chesty Puller and Pirog). He has experience with the VBS series too, he told to people praising it because of the videos that it has far more problems, bugs and glitches than what we had in ArmA/ArmA 2.

@stk2008

We already have remote controlled turrets, since ArmA, Strykers in that already had it. In OA there are also Strykers and HMMWVs with remote weaponry.

Edited by Banderas

We already have remote controlled turrets, since ArmA, Strykers in that already had it. In OA there are also Strykers and HMMWVs with remote weaponry.

But you have to get in 3rd person view to make it work...

Yeah we done actualy have the gun view projected onto a screen as such.

I almost cried when I saw the scripting features in the editor... Partly because of the months of my life i could have saved playing in the arma and arma2 editors if I'd had those features, and partly because I know they'll never make it to Arma2, all the good stuff will stay in the $1000 plus arma premium content package known as VBS... Damnit! ;)

No it wont BIS love us to much....nudge.....nudge....wink......wink.

But you have to get in 3rd person view to make it work...

At first I didn't know what do you mean, but now I get it, you mean that there's only optics view and 3rd person view. So you would imply a true first person view with the targeting display visible as the actual part of the interior? Like in the video with the MRAP's robotic arm, am I right?

Yea , the most wanted thing is that render to texture and those mirrors - epic nice.

I could say strait away I would pay for any DLC which added this feature alone.

I am confident in that the modders would exploit it to the fullest even if what was added ingame using it wasnt that great or advanced.

I will still real here.

Only thing that is 100% needed in ARMA2 is the UAV cam control that are NOT SUCK like in ARMA2.