Sign in to follow this  
Banderas

VBS 2 1.40 new features video

So you would imply a true first person view with the targeting display visible as the actual part of the interior? Like in the video with the MRAP's robotic arm, am I right?

Yes, that's the whole point of Render to texture. You can have real periscopes, remote controlled weapons etc... from inside the vehicle in First person, as part of the cockpit.

yeah we also....really, really need them "Custom Group Formations"!!!!!! that should be already included, or should atleast be considered in the next(or future) OA Patch! that is sumthing i feel will add to the realisim and can provide good outcomes in missions...cause im tired of hearing " 2: where are you?, 1: im at grid blah blah blah" cause they never follow formation and they get lost..then next thing you know they crash and you lose the mission! and it cant really be hard to make custom and tight formations can it?

also we need some of those Assault landing ships, some that are U.S. Military(i know i know there is one already being made but its a brittish ship) and i would like\prefer to have them made by bis for one reason and one reason only, cause then we dont have to go and DL a shitload of addons just to use a mission or two! not because i dont like community addons, cause i love community addons but hate having to DL addons for a mission! n also for those who play online, some servers may not want to have addon requirments.

also the "script Commands" are needed so bad aswell becuase of obviouse reasons....and many will probly agree lol!

well..thats my opinions, and thoughts..i really do hope BIS atleast thinks about doing that for all of us, and i hope they pay attention to our suggestions\coments ext.

Isnt one of the features being added for the DLC the rendering of video n the screen..doesn't this possibly include rendering to a texture as well? Maybe BIS are being a bit coy to surprise us for the next DLC :)

Render to Texture a part of next DLC??

The feature is "Ingame video playback" and it means that files like

.avi, .mpeg whatever... can be loaded into the game. Main use

in cutscenes.

The feature is "Ingame video playback" and it means that files like

.avi, .mpeg whatever... can be loaded into the game. Main use

in cutscenes.

True, but one still unanswered question is how the video files can be played back. The three possible playback methods I can think of are:

1. Full screen

2. Part of the screen (for example in a dialog or overlay)

3. As an object texture

So the question is, which of these is supported.

Render to texture for A2 would be great, but I don't see it happening.

You remember, you didn't see any LOD switch or lagged gameplay from BI's promo videos about ArmA 2 before it came out, right? We can assume that a software development company has waaay better computer capabilities than us, everyday users.

Didn't see this thread until now, but... the system used to record that 1.4 video isn't even top of the line these days. Geforce 285, 2.8GHz quad core. There's no trickery involved. It's not some magical supercomputer or anything.

Nice, I take it VBS has better performance than ArmA2 then? :P

Of course, it's running on a graphically scaled-back ArmA generation of RealVirtuality.

..... Sarcasm really doesn't work on the internet.

Anyway, VBS looks great. But theres only a *few* things that would be useful in ArmA II, Due the to the fact we're not all military training to go to afganistan/iraq.

The medevacs and stuff, 9-line forms are a plus, But the forms shouldn't be mandatory and should be a "difficulty option"

Render-to-Texture for things like TV screens and mirrors , Imagine being able to have a fully working 3d Cockpit for some aircraft with all the displays actual 3d objects instead of just 2d dialog overlays. Land Warrior addons :P

Fully interactive enviroments, like windows and doors, dragging objects about for things like roadblocks or creating camps. etc

Properly simulated battlefield clearence and medical treatment. Like taking injured men out of cars, calling in medevac or some form of medical transport. Then dragging him there to evacuate him, or to a medic so he can perform treatment to keep him stable.

Perhaps the 3d real time editor, like rotating objects and stuff. Placing IED's and the ingame script help for idiots like me who cannot use SQF/SQS scripts.

Everything else is just extra that is only useful in VBS2, not ArmA.

True, but one still unanswered question is how the video files can be played back. The three possible playback methods I can think of are:

1. Full screen

2. Part of the screen (for example in a dialog or overlay)

3. As an object texture

So the question is, which of these is supported.

Render to texture for A2 would be great, but I don't see it happening.

In-game video playback is a feature that has been requested for a while, can you give us any more information about it?

Filip: Video playback is based on the 'Theora' open-source codec. Theora allows us to support any video format needed, and furthermore, we can easily port it to any different platform in the future. The community might also be interested in the fact that video is played in a resource. We still don't support the video playback as a part of 3D scene, which would be much harder to achieve.

http://www.bistudio.com/index.php/english/company/developers-blog/196-report-in-interview-with-luka-gregor-and-filip-zigo-programmers