Sign in to follow this  
lightspeed_aust

Ghost Recon:Island Thunder Campaign

Heya Lightspeed,

Meant to post something last time I was here reading, better late than never I guess! I look forward to checking things out. Let us know if we can help. Really like concept as a whole, takes me back to the good ole days.

hey Gnome - ya know what i may just take you up on that offer - having Alpha Squad involved in a GR mod sounds as GR as "cold, cold....too cold for me". :) ill be in touch on your forums.

"cold, cold....too cold for me"

LOL .... the immortal spoken words of the beast that is OGR :)

grit6.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

work so far - i have begun writing the briefs into Arma2 format and tweaking them as necessary so the place names and characters will fit.

for those of you who know GR, i have recreated the swamp airfield (Icebreakr) had the perfect spot for it and it looks wicked.

i have also planned out where all 8 missions will take place on the map.

so once Ice releases the map i will be good to go.

grit6.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

work so far - i have begun writing the briefs into Arma2 format and tweaking them as necessary so the place names and characters will fit.

for those of you who know GR, i have recreated the swamp airfield (Icebreakr) had the perfect spot for it and it looks wicked.

i have also planned out where all 8 missions will take place on the map.

so once Ice releases the map i will be good to go.

Great sounds awesome!!

+1 for this idea...

Get that man a New!

Nice, all the small details coming back .. great news.

BTW I had the idea of the making of a map that was a Frankenstein of GR maps in direct details but placed into an island and then merged in a natural way, so you would have a GR Island .. that was the gr-maps merged into one stream-able island, as it may have been if GR was released now :)

Anyway .. I can dream.

The map I REALY want to see is the classic "Farm" map with the split running stream and banks to the farm house and the barn, If you can spot something that would work that mission onto chernarus that would be superb (I really miss trickling running water streams that have never been put into a Arma2 map as far as I can tell). I would love to see the farm map extended into a map of its own for Arma2, I used to play that map over and over and over .... sorry off topic, you got me started now :) I have no map making knowledge at all nor the time to do it :(

Edited by mrcash2009

mrcash2009: give me yt link or couple of shots on PM and I'll see what I can do :)

mrcash2009: give me yt link or couple of shots on PM and I'll see what I can do :)

Heh, if you could get that done, I'd be MOST pleased. Insanely, even.

update -

- i have finished writing all the briefs (updating them a little so they fit with Lingor place names and locations).

- i have tweaked a few of the mission objectives so they are a little more interesting in places.

- i have started placing objects on the map for the missions (the beauty of one large map is that you only have to add things once instead of 8 times for each new map a la GR).

- i had a chat with Icebreakr and he said i can start mission creation on the version i have as the release version will still allow me to pick up the missions where i left off.

- swamp airfield is continually being enhanced and GR players will feel like they are returning to fairly familiar territory even though the airfield has slightly different objects.

one of the things that used to slow me down so much in GR campaign creation was trying to come up with a decent and plausible campaign which could literally bring me to a halt if the concepts sounded to cheesy. Recreating a fantastic GR campaign has removed this roadblock completely and is allowing me to get straight into construction.

finally for now, Icebreakrs map is just incredible and fortunately given the locations for these missions you will really get to see just how brilliant this veteran Arma map maker is - one of the masters for sure.

Lighty.

finally for now, Icebreakrs map is just incredible and fortunately given the locations for these missions you will really get to see just how brilliant this veteran Arma map maker is - one of the masters for sure.
Niiiiiiice :)

I agree the campaigns were superb in GR. But remember .... dont remove the leg gimping in a patch! (*GR joke*)! If only Arma2 would introduce "the gimp", multiple wounded gimps were so much fun to watch staggering around.

BTW IceBreakr I have PM'd you sir.

Edited by mrcash2009

quick update -

- mission 1 objectives and layout are all looking good and working as intended- it's a nice introduction to Lingor Island. all that is left to do is add the AI which are due to be released shortly - and then i will fit them into upsmon.

I used to just love playing original GR1 and the expansions in coop with my mate. Whatever you do, please get the coop dynamics true to form for GR1:

Nine soldiers in three groups of three soliders each, with the ability to teamswitch. No respawn. That's the magic formula that made GR1 so much fun!

i will try to make this a Ghost Recon experience - respawns can be set to nil, 1, 3 or 5.

im not sure if you can switch players in Arma2 although technically there is a join in progress so you could jump in as one of the AI. (anyone know if you can switch bodies in arma?)

still toying with the number of Ghosts - currently set at 7 including a Medic but this could go as high as 14 (this would be another version of the missions with more opfor to deal with and possibly live insertions as opposed to scripted insertions). note: sp campaign you could take a maximum of 6 men in per mission, so i was making the medic the 7th position and using norrins script.

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

quick update -

mission 2 is working as expected - just need to add the opfor and then testing. for old school GR fans, this is a fantastic military camp and set in a foggy atmosphere with rain pissing down. :)

im not sure if you can switch players in Arma2 although technically there is a join in progress so you could jump in as one of the AI. (anyone know if you can switch bodies in arma?)

if I understand what you are asking, wouldn't making all AI charachters playable, and then just hitting "U" on your keyboard work?

As above ^^^ , set unit as "playable" (on what you want to see available to switch to with the U key). Its what I liked once I got arma1 realising you can set to switch to "anything" ... now even rabbits :)

I prefer OGR team sizes (just my input).

Its funny I have never really escaped that style of play since OGR, always no more than 6 men in my team.

this is a fantastic military camp and set in a foggy atmosphere with rain pissing down.
Liked that about GR, I do miss the sound of rain hitting off tin roofs as your walking past or sitting under, nice immersion detail you dont get that on maps in Arma as far as Ive seen. Any chance of attaching some of those type of sounds to objects for the mission, really get it back to OGR :)

Trickle water streams, water / rain on tin roofs, and some tropic bird and distant ambience for the mission (and the map maybe)?

Edited by mrcash2009

I would say 4-6 would be nice. a reinforced fireteam. TL, MG/AR, Medic, grenadier, AT/engineer, marksman.

something like that.

mrcash2009: be advised that Lingor features totally new realistic environment sounds that beat the vanilla desert stuff into ... sand-dust ;)

Charon also did the new rain & thunderstorm sounds, so expect a whole new experience playing missions on this island.

I expected nothing less :)

Seriously though, that is welcomed news, I think maps need to focus some TLC on the audio environment in places for certain environments, jungle the most.

@mrcash2009

Liked that about GR, I do miss the sound of rain hitting off tin roofs as your walking past or sitting under, nice immersion detail you dont get that on maps in Arma as far as Ive seen. Any chance of attaching some of those type of sounds to objects for the mission, really get it back to OGR

Trickle water streams, water / rain on tin roofs, and some tropic bird and distant ambience for the mission (and the map maybe)?

your wishes will come true - as Ice says its all there and its all good.

update -

currently working on High Sierra pilot rescue - let me tell you now this is truly high sierra feel - you will feel like you are trekking through high peaks to find the pilots and complete other objectives before you drop down into the tranquil riverlands with frogs croaking in the lush growth.

Another update -

- things are crusing along nicely - i have just finished all the work on mission 3 (again just need to place AI when they become available)

All sounding very sweet indeed (excuse the pun).

BTW Lightspeed, are you implementing Hybrid Command script to the units in the missions at all? (This was ref the general section post/thread you made about way-point control for AI teams).

Another update -

- things are crusing along nicely - i have just finished all the work on mission 3 (again just need to place AI when they become available)

Let's hope it's soon. :)

BTW Lightspeed, are you implementing Hybrid Command script to the units in the missions at all? (This was ref the general section post/thread you made about way-point control for AI teams).

not familiar with this and couldn't get the AI switch happening ingame but i was in MP Lan so maybe it's a SP only function.

i will look into the Hybrid Command script.

ah i think maybe you're referring to High Command - which i believe would allow you to move units using map and waypoints - a la Ghost Recon. well if it's not buggy it will have to be in there for the true GR experience. ;) thanks.

Edited by Lightspeed_aust