Sign in to follow this  
IndeedPete

[Campaigns] Grey Sky, Operation Red Star

I'm not using ACE at all and I've never used it in the past, but I do have the CQB sight option, so it must be something in one of the stock patches.

Hi

Must be an OA command. NP, my copy of OA should be here next week :)

Cheers

Carl

Okay, problem with Operation Red Star: the first main cutscene (the intro to the campaign basically, after the first little mission on Utes) when it's showing the Chedaki firing artillery guns, when one of the guns fires (the fourth one I think) my game just freezes up and crashes. It's happened three times in a row now. At first I thought it might have had something to do with the sound mods I was running, but then tested without, and still got the same result.

Strange, it happens every time at the same point? Do you use any other mods apart from the sound mods you disabled? Which version of ORS do you use?

Nope I wasn't running any other mods.

ORS? Operating system you mean? Windows 7 Home, 64 bit.

No, ORS=Operation Red Star. BTW, which ArmA version(s) are you using?

Could be one of those intermittent XP things. Memory 'leakage' it's called, IIRC. Better than in W95 (terrible) or W98 (poor) but memory handling was always an issue in Windoze.

There's no such thing as 'memory leakage' in 'Windoze'. If the game or ACE leaks memory, it has nothing to do with your operating system. The game may very well have memory issues and ACE is well known for its terrible memory needs.

In Arma2 standalone?? Weird, there's no such entry in my controls list; I've never seen that entry.

The setting you're looking for is called Optics Mode and by default it's mapped to '/'. I have CO, so if you have Arma 2 only, you may not have this. This is the only thing I can think of that'd cause the sight behavior you described. (Unless you have some broken addon.)

There's no such thing as 'memory leakage' in 'Windoze'. If the game or ACE leaks memory, it has nothing to do with your operating system. The game may very well have memory issues and ACE is well known for its terrible memory needs.

OK, I didn't remember correctly, lol

I repeat, I was playing the non-ACE version.

The setting you're looking for is called Optics Mode and by default it's mapped to '/'. I have CO, so if you have Arma 2 only, you may not have this. This is the only thing I can think of that'd cause the sight behavior you described. (Unless you have some broken addon.)

No. As I've posted at least twice the Optics Mode key (& also the RMB) only raised the rifle to my chin or thereabouts. It was vanilla 1.07 with no addons at all.

Optics mode only functioned correctly for the M107 after I switched to the pistol & put that into Optics mode (it's the same key for aiming through iron-sights in A2, dunno about OA/CO). Then switched back to the M107 & the glitch was gone. I still wonder if one of the several patch installs went a bit wonky. In the next day or three I'm going to uninstall, reinstall then use the latest patch to go straight to 1.08.

Optics Mode is a standard A2 control; however A2 does not have the CQB sighting option introduced with OA. A mod pack from ANZINS might add it, I'll be testing that this evening as there are other potentially nice features.

Cheers

Carl

Hi IndeedPete

I did a reinstall of ArmA 2 & patched straight to v1.08, then replayed 'Flashback'. Still had the weird sighting issue with the M107, the workaround with the pistol functioned OK. Not anything to worry about.

The good news is that I had absolutely no problems with picking off the guards at the comm centre - no "Idiot!..." messages :)

Played it again through to that scene & again no problems. Must have been something a bit off in one of the seveal patch jobs since the original install.

I'll keep watching this thread in the hopes of more Grey Sky missions!

Cheers, and thanks again

Carl

Sorry for my late response. Does this happen in other user-made missions or only in my campaign? If so, theres probably something worng with your installation.

Otherwise you could try to re-download Operation Red Star from another mirror to prevent issues with the file itself.

@Carl D: Good to hear, that means less work for me. :D

@Carl D: Good to hear, that means less work for me. :D

I hope that means you'll have more time to finish the campaign ;)

I've been enjoying ORS up til the terrorist threat (?) episode after taking Chenogorsk. Unfortunately starting that mission gets into a loop after the clock numbers start to spin - excerpt from the .rpt shows

Missing addons detected:

ca_modules_e_uav

Warning Message: You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.ca_modules_e_uav

Missing addons detected:

ca_modules_e_uav

Warning Message: You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.ca_modules_e_uav

Missing addons detected:

ca_modules_e_uav

Missing addons detected:

ca_modules_e_uav

Hitting ESC gets out of the loop. I believe the "_e_" means it's an OA/CO file. Oh well, my copy should be here any time now, whoopee!

Cheers

Carl

Hm, then i have to change the requirements. /: I edited the missions while in was using CO. I didn't use CO content so i thought it would have no effect but it seems i was wrong...

FIXED: In mission "Prisoner Of War" the extraction helicopter was locked

i up dated but still locked!

Do you have a save game to the next mission?

Did you use a savegame from a previous version? If so, you would have to restart the mission or type "shift -" and then "endmission" to skip the mission.

Thank u!I just learned this one another forum!

Really cool mission!

What is the next one?

Indeedpete I've been having a blast with Operation Red Star all night long. I have not finished it yet, but I wanted to say thank you for making it. You are a very skilled mission maker. Looking forward to Grey Sky.

Edited by Khugan

I just want to state that Op Red Star is some of the best campaigns out there. Way better than Red Harvest!

Thanks for the positive replies!

I wish to have more time to create new content but learning for the exams has priority... ;)

^^^

I think you have your priorities in the wrong order.

Entertaining your fans should be NUMERO UNO!

Anyways, school will always be there.:)

^^^

I think you have your priorities in the wrong order.

Entertaining your fans should be NUMERO UNO!

Anyways, school will always be there.:)

yup entertainment number 1 that's y i fail school, thats y i couldn't get in collage to learn more, like computing thats y i can't make a decent mission or cool mod thats y i don't hav cool car thats y i don't hav a big tit tit girl friend.

yeah i know Kommiekat u just kidding so m i XD

great campaign by the way though u might hav been bit too heavy handed on script or ai or object, my duo core cpu struggle to run ur grey sky campaign first mission,,,, welll may be i should get a new PC its about time really though i hav to wait until BF3 is release, my next PC will build be around it.

Edited by j rock

man love ur grey sky story i m hooked, is ther a grey sky part 2????

No, sadly Grey Sky is still work in progress which i might never be able to finish. Maybe, when i have some time and will i'll complete it one day... :)

WOW. Grey sky was AWESOME! Thank you very much for sharing that with us. I haven't enjoyed ArmA2 that much in a long time. PLEASE if you can, finish Grey Sky. It was serious fun! 5Stars and 2 Thumbs WAY UP! :yay:

Hi, I'm going through your RED STAR for the second time.

This second time, using no AI mods, the chopper from the Khe San keeps crashing at the airport on Utes. I don't know why. Tried many many times until finally, I just eject out.

As for the C-120, no one parachutes out and the plane just flies around the map.

Once, I ejected on the "GO GO GO" command and landed right on the LZ and waited long time, with nothing as a result.

Not sure but seems something is plugging it up and yes, I do use mods, but this time no AI...............well, except for ZEUS.

I don't know what's causing it. It must be the mods. I've tested the first missions a lot and it's working fine for me.

Maybe there's a mod still active which you forgot to disable or something like that?

i first had problem same as Kommiekat at the same mission then i turn off beta and all other mod, all fine again....

if every thing works normally as soon as u land at LZ marker u should get teleported to some place else, in my case i got tele to grid 102,087