Sign in to follow this  
IndeedPete

[Campaigns] Grey Sky, Operation Red Star

One of the guys I saw by the civies was half in the wall of the House, maybe the others were inside it.....

Hm, that's definately not where i placed them!^^ They should be outside right in front of the civies...

So what could have caused this failure? I play with ACE (shouldn´t affect that) and the Beta Patch. There was one more strange thing on your first mission. The first Time I played it I didn´t auto eject from the plane, I had to restart the mission, then it worked.

I managed to make a real point landing at the LZ, but then I was terleported somewhere else, this was kiond of ruining the atmosphere

Hm, some folks had problems with the beta and i don't know if ACE really won't affect the game. I play the campaign without any addons and beta patches.

I made the teleport to prevent players from falling down somewhere far off the AO. I'm sorry if it ruins the atmosphere a bit but if you fall from 10000 meters altitude it's quite hard to land at a specific point.

In a later mission you'll be able to choose your LZ by yourself without being influenced by me.^^

Cool, which way did you choose in Black Friday?

Hey guys, next update of Operation Red Star!

Changes in this version:

1.04 - 04.11.2010

-FIXED: In mission "Prisoner Of War" the extraction helicopter was locked.

Links have been updated in the first post.

I choosed to go to the FOB. What happens if you go to the Mountain?

In short: You'll be picked up by a chopper and then shot down just above FOB Berlin.^^

I just finished playing Grey Sky, it was a mostly good campaign - I'd suggest you finish it. By the end of mission 4, the character and the environment was noticably better than at the beginning and the story turned into more interesting.

The big base should be definitely lightened - it's a massive slowdown with all the objects in a very small place - I think it'd be equally believable with some fewer people and fewer objects. The same goes for the fog - it was nice (actually had a freaky effect), but it was too much. Granted, my computer is only a dual core, but most other missions run fine.

In mission 4, pls take away the pistols from the snipers, they get stuck when they use them.

Thanks for making it, hope to see more of it.

Edit: I also noticed that you overwrite nil in several places (for example:

nil = [] execVM "scripts\plane.sqf";

This is a big no-no - you should never, under any circumstances assign a value to nil. The symbol nil represents an unset value - when you assign something to it, it may break the rest of the game and eventually may result in a crash.

Edited by xxbbcc

Yes thats true. @xxbbcc you can remove the Pistols yourself in the briefing screen

Edit: I also noticed that you overwrite nil in several places (for example:

nil = [] execVM "scripts\plane.sqf";

This is a big no-no - you should never, under any circumstances assign a value to nil. The symbol nil represents an unset value - when you assign something to it, it may break the rest of the game and eventually may result in a crash.

I know, i thought i changed it all but obviously i was wrong.

And i will remove the pistols in the next version.

Thank you, much appreciated. :) I hope you'll have time to continue this campaign, it got better towards later missions.

Yes thats true. @xxbbcc you can remove the Pistols yourself in the briefing screen

I know I could but I'd prefer an official patch. I could make a fix locally, but I couldn't make it public, since it's IndeedPete's campaign.

I know, i thought i changed it all but obviously i was wrong.

And i will remove the pistols in the next version.

Hi IndeedPete

First, thanks for the huge amount of work you've put into these campaigns.

I just finished Grey Sky - I'm another who hopes you'll finish it sometime :)

Please don't remove the pistols. Once in the overwatch position at the last base in Flashback I couldn't raise the M107 optics properly - the sight was down by my chin. Eventually drew the pistol & raised it with no problem, then switched back to the rifle without lowering the pistol & everything was fine after that. Even tried crouching & standing but unless I drew & raised the pistol first, I could not properly raise the rifle. Weird - I never saw this glitch before.

I had no problems with FPS etc. in the last mission, Flashback (excellent atmosphere by the way - both campaigns show great creativity) but I did have problems with the targeting ("Idiot"... " etc.] at the last base.

Took out the guy on the chimney then the 3 watchtowers OK, then the soldier on the roof of the North corner. However when I shot the guy patrolling the North entrance I got the "Idiot!..." message 3 times in a row. 4th time I waited until he was almost into the woods, that was fine (by this time I was saving after every shot). But when I shot the guy by the UAZ in the fuel depot I got the "Idiot.." message again. Finally when I started shooting the guys on the building shell, 3 times I got the "Idiot"" message before finally succeeding.

XP32 Pro SP3 etc.; A2 standalone v1.07 stable; no addons. Grey Sky non-ACE v1.02 (14.10.2010)

Playing through latest version - v1.02 - of Red Star now. Just finished the first mission, & looking forward to the next 16 :yay:

Thakns again

Carl

Please don't remove the pistols. Once in the overwatch position at the last base in Flashback I couldn't raise the M107 optics properly - the sight was down by my chin. Eventually drew the pistol & raised it with no problem, then switched back to the rifle without lowering the pistol & everything was fine after that. Even tried crouching & standing but unless I drew & raised the pistol first, I could not properly raise the rifle. Weird - I never saw this glitch before.

You need to switch to optics view from iron-sight view. Check your key assignments to see which key does that.

No AI character should have pistols, they get stuck in the game until BIS finally comes up with a fix for it. This is an issue since Arma 1. I had to reload several times to be able to finish the last mission because the other sniper pulled a pistol and got stuck.

I will remove the pistols from the AI only, not from the player.

@Carl D: Thank you for the good reply. :)

Though i don't know what's causing the issue you explained. Since you use the non-ACE version i think the problem is there. I will try to find a better way but it takes a bit of testing since i never had this problem...

Anyway, have fun with ORS!

I will remove the pistols from the AI only, not from the player.

@Carl D: Thank you for the good reply. :)

Though i don't know what's causing the issue you explained. Since you use the non-ACE version i think the problem is there. I will try to find a better way but it takes a bit of testing since i never had this problem...

Anyway, have fun with ORS!

@IndeedPete:

You're very welcome :)

'Flashback' was a great twist & left me wanting to find out more about the story-line - always a good sign. Also it was nice to have a two-man mission in which your leader also fires rather than just unrealistically issuing 'target that..' orders, which really irritates me.

OK, I'll replay with ACE & see if this repeats. However, I now have v1.08 so it won't be exactly the same configuration.

Actually I meant to say only remove the AI pistols - but you already did that, hee.

Thanks again for the fine campaigns.

Tschuss

Carl

---------- Post added at 08:07 ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 ----------

You need to switch to optics view from iron-sight view. Check your key assignments to see which key does that.

@xxbbcc:

I don't know what you mean here. There is no key option for "iron-sight view". Do you mean "raise weapon"? That isn't the problem. "Raise weapon" places an M107 significantly lower than where it ended up in Flashback when I hit the optics key or the right mouse button. I've played quite a bit with the M107 & never had this problem before.

No AI character should have pistols, they get stuck in the game until BIS finally comes up with a fix for it.

Yes, it's especially annoying in missions where you aren't the leader & can't get them to drop the pistol. If I'm the leader I always dump the AI pistols else, if they run out of ammo & you kit them out with a different weapon often they just pull the pistol. Take that away & they just sit there aiming nothing. Grrrrr!

Ciao

Carl

There is a 'CQB' or 'battlesight' view for some weapons that is activated by the '/' key on the numpad by default. If you don't have it you should assign it via the controls menu.. I think that is what he means. :)

Hi again

I tried Grey Sky with ACE (after dumbing the enemy AI to to speed things up, shameful I know).

Problems...

First attempt I got an 'out of memory' warning very briefly before a CTD when I returned to the Warlord after recruiting Viktor. No crash dump but I have the .rpt.

Second attempt, all OK after meeting back with the Warlord but he firstly refused to get in the car, and then simply said "Roger" to all commands but didn't move.

Third attempt, we were almost at Megaton when he crouched, drew his pistol and simply stopped. Aftar 3-4 minutes in real-time with game-time at x4 I gave up.

Other thing I noticed was that although I always have music off in games it still played while in Megaton until I got in the car. Stayed off after I got out.

Since none of these have been reported by anyone else then either this is an Arma2 version issue (for example, previously saved games can't be reloaded - "incompatible version") or I have a bad patch <groan>.

Won't know until someone else patches to v1.08 & tries the campaign.

System: i5-750 @3.81 GHz, XP32 Pro multiprocessor free, SP3 etc., 4GB RAM, ATI 5850 1GB, Arma2 v1.08, CBA0.7, ACE2 v1.3 for Arma2 (ACE v373, ACEX v 252).

There is a 'CQB' or 'battlesight' view for some weapons that is activated by the '/' key on the numpad by default. If you don't have it you should assign it via the controls menu.. I think that is what he means. :)

Hi mate

In Arma2 standalone?? Weird, there's no such entry in my controls list; I've never seen that entry.

Raise weapon, optics, zoom, hold breath, etc., but no 'CQB' or 'battlesight' entry. I just created a new default profile & the "\" key is mapped to "Salute" (the "/" key is mapped to "Chat"). Loaded a mission with a DMR, suspended & checked, same thing, went back & changed to an M107, again no such entry had materialised in the controls list (exactly as I would expect).

If you get a moment to check, could you let me know the menu entries above & below it?

Cheers

Carl

Sorry mate.. I've got combined Ops and BAF, so I think that setting may have been introduced with their installs.. someone may be able to correct me on that though.

Hi again

I tried Grey Sky with ACE (after dumbing the enemy AI to to speed things up, shameful I know).

Problems...

First attempt I got an 'out of memory' warning very briefly before a CTD when I returned to the Warlord after recruiting Viktor. No crash dump but I have the .rpt.

Second attempt, all OK after meeting back with the Warlord but he firstly refused to get in the car, and then simply said "Roger" to all commands but didn't move.

Third attempt, we were almost at Megaton when he crouched, drew his pistol and simply stopped. Aftar 3-4 minutes in real-time with game-time at x4 I gave up.

Other thing I noticed was that although I always have music off in games it still played while in Megaton until I got in the car. Stayed off after I got out.

Since none of these have been reported by anyone else then either this is an Arma2 version issue (for example, previously saved games can't be reloaded - "incompatible version") or I have a bad patch <groan>.

Won't know until someone else patches to v1.08 & tries the campaign.

System: i5-750 @3.81 GHz, XP32 Pro multiprocessor free, SP3 etc., 4GB RAM, ATI 5850 1GB, Arma2 v1.08, CBA0.7, ACE2 v1.3 for Arma2 (ACE v373, ACEX v 252).

Wow, where to start. xX

I never had an "out of memory" warning. Not in my campaign and no where else in Arma 2. I got no clue where this is coming fromt apart from ACE. :(

I think i made AI under your control playable so you can switch to the unit and enter the car by yourself. It's sad but that's not my fault i guess but an engine fail...

The music is not played with e.g. "playMusic". It comes from a radio inside the camp. It disappears when you leave and go out to do the tasks.

I will try to update the missions by using the latest stable ACE and patch.

Hi mate

In Arma2 standalone?? Weird, there's no such entry in my controls list; I've never seen that entry.

Raise weapon, optics, zoom, hold breath, etc., but no 'CQB' or 'battlesight' entry. I just created a new default profile & the "\" key is mapped to "Salute" (the "/" key is mapped to "Chat"). Loaded a mission with a DMR, suspended & checked, same thing, went back & changed to an M107, again no such entry had materialised in the controls list (exactly as I would expect).

If you get a moment to check, could you let me know the menu entries above & below it?

Cheers

Carl

I guess he refers to the new commands which ACE brings in. The keybindings can usually be found in the ACE wiki but since they changed the website i'm not able to find them. Great job guys... xX

Hi IndeedPete

Wow, where to start. xX

I never had an "out of memory" warning. Not in my campaign and no where else in Arma 2. I got no clue where this is coming fromt apart from ACE. :(

Could be one of those intermittent XP things. Memory 'leakage' it's called, IIRC. Better than in W95 (terrible) or W98 (poor) but memory handling was always an issue in Windoze.

I think i made AI under your control playable so you can switch to the unit and enter the car by yourself. It's sad but that's not my fault i guess but an engine fail...

Happens occasionally in other missions. It's a known intermittent problem. OTOH, in conjunction with the other problems it could be either version incompatibility or a bad patch job.

The music is not played with e.g. "playMusic". It comes from a radio inside the camp. It disappears when you leave and go out to do the tasks.

Ah! It didn't play in the non-ACE version so it was a surprise :)

I will try to update the missions by using the latest stable ACE and patch.

Well, as I said, it might be a bad patch on my installation. Before you spend a lot of time that may be unnecessary, I suggest waiting to see if anyone else has a problem. In fact I think I'll just reinstall the whole game anyway - it doesn't take that long, far less than you might waste. Then I'll try the campaign again. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" :)

I guess he refers to the new commands which ACE brings in. The keybindings can usually be found in the ACE wiki but since they changed the website i'm not able to find them. Great job guys... xX

Ahhh... Thank you!. My bad, I haven't looked at the new Wiki (mostly because they didn't tar it into the latest download, bah!). Hmm, that could be a useful command. I'll dig out the info on dev-heaven. If I can find the link I'll post it here or PM you, whichever you prefer.

Actually that doesn't affect my earlier post about the peculiar position of the M107 because that was playing the non-ACE version on A2 v1.07. So that command wouldn't be available anyway.

Thanks for the reply

Cheers

Carl

PS

Here's the link to the ACE documentation:

http://ace.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Documentation

Default key for CQB sights is Shift-F for A2+ ACE1.3.

Edited by Carl_D
Additional information located

I'm not using ACE at all and I've never used it in the past, but I do have the CQB sight option, so it must be something in one of the stock patches.