Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

AH-64 Pack

2nd video is 404 not found for me , anyone else ?

I have to say the first video was incredibly impressive.
Isn't it though, I originally planned to check for smoothing in the game to make sure all was up to spec but I've gotten so distracted by that instead.
Heh with real sounds it will be very very sexy and with nice textures it will be godlike :p

I was going to ask you about that but we figured it is too early, once it is more complete I'll be bugging you for sure :).

Finally, its ingame! So the model is complete?

Not quite, there is still some work to be done but after doing all the research together I was eager to see what Franze would do if he had the time and was ready.

2nd video is 404 not found for me , anyone else ?

I tried the link myself and it 404'd me as well, I'm not sure why..the file is there and in zip format, I double checked to make sure it wasn't corrupt, opened just fine. Tried to repack the file and delete the old but no change there either. Until this gets sorted the megaupload file still works.

Edited by NodUnit

omfg, it's early alpha version of take on helicopters on arma2!

so BIS finally recruited nod and franze? O.o

The purpose of this testbed is to basically take a lot of things out of "theory" and put them into "possible". The rotor system was just the first thing I chose to do since it was bugging me for a long time. Naturally, there's a lot that I still need to do with it but I only just cracked that nut last night after working on it for two days straight.

Progress will have to come sporadically since I can only really work on this over the weekends. Fortunately I know from past testing that a bunch of things are already possible and the only thing left is practical implementation, so this only leaves a handful of small items that have to be tested.

2nd file no longer 404, reference link. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26474620/flight%20test.zip

yes I freaked out at 3:30 and yes that is some reckless flying, slower and smoother gives the same control and less chance of crashing.

In fact flying at that speed is veeery dangerous I've noticed, sure the aircraft has excellent control but at such speeds the smaller input will cause a shift and isn't very well controlled especially when you yank back in a moment of panic.

Edited by NodUnit

The purpose of this testbed is to basically take a lot of things out of "theory" and put them into "possible". The rotor system was just the first thing I chose to do since it was bugging me for a long time. Naturally, there's a lot that I still need to do with it but I only just cracked that nut last night after working on it for two days straight.

Progress will have to come sporadically since I can only really work on this over the weekends. Fortunately I know from past testing that a bunch of things are already possible and the only thing left is practical implementation, so this only leaves a handful of small items that have to be tested.

wise words of genious man which is nominated for comunity awards 2011 of "remarkably briliant new ideas integration" section, alongside taking with him nodunit for "OMFG level to detail modeling" :)

oh yeah, on topic, can't wait and maybe it's possible to smooth out that blade movement?

The movement is generally smooth, when you use the keyboard especially you don't see all the fidgeting, I feel that is mainly due to my old joystick which needs either tweaking or replacing. The pedals causing the tail rotor to go crazy for example, I thought I removed that portion but I guess I was too tired to realise.

Edited by NodUnit

This helicopter will turn ARMA 2 into an Apache flight simulator. And since I'm absolutely nuts about the Apache, that's A-okay by me ;)

Question: Will a Westland (British) Apache AH Mk1 variant be made?

There are a few small but distinctive visual differences between the body of the AH-64D and the WAH-64D that won't really take too much more work to implement. :D

Edited by The Coyote

Myke;1899957']ray243' date=' close your pants and both hands on the keyboard. That it works ingame doesn't mean it is close to release at all.[/quote']

Haha, guess I was too optimistic!

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

BTW Nodunit, DCS should hire you! With your amazing skills, I think you are better than the guys there!

No I don't think so think my apache model beats theres though I am going to try on the cockpit. Now if you comment was towards the rotor system....again, Franze.

Various nationalities are planned, UK, Dutch, Israel, Japanese, to name a few. But those are only after everything is said and done since they are nearly all D models.

No I don't think so think my apache model beats theres though I am going to try on the cockpit. Now if you comment was towards the rotor system....again, Franze.

Various nationalities are planned, UK, Dutch, Israel, Japanese, to name a few. But those are only after everything is said and done since they are nearly all D models.

Oh, certainly. While I don't know much about the Apaches used by countries outside the US and Britain, I can show you what exactly the differences are on the Apache AH Mk1 when compared to the US version.

These pictures show the RWR and MAWS mountings on front of the avionics bays. The second and third picture also shows the protrusions on the tail boom on which the MAWS and RWRs are mounted on the rear of the aircraft.

http://img.blog.yahoo.co.kr/ybi/1/24/56/shinecommerce/folder/19/img_19_16704_4?1202222227.jpg

http://img.blog.yahoo.co.kr/ybi/1/24/56/shinecommerce/folder/19/img_19_23053_2?1239456531.jpg

http://www.nemopan.com/files/attach/images/2590/133715/4.jpg

Also note that the British version of the Apache does not have the (I think it's an IR strobe) on top of the fuselage behind the main rotor mast. Finally there's a protective domed attachment to the front of the CRV-7 rocket pods the British Apache uses.

Edited by Franze
100kb

You may want to leave only the hotlink to the images to avoid an infraction! (silly 100kb limit)

@Nod-Franze: Impressive work on the rotors, hows that gonna change the flying mechanics?

I'm not sure if it is the AVR-7 that is used on the UK delta's but I imagine the equipment in the same place does the same thing (the boxes on the fairing below the rotor mast and down the tailboom)

The UK changes wouldn't be difficult but I would like to try and merge the sensors in to the body to get a nice smooth transition rather than looking like a box sticking out of the body. I've got several pictures of the WAH-64 so no sensor would be missed, likewise the Dutch variant will get DRMS the one with and without the laser attached. They will also get an extra display in the cockpit.

AH-64D Sarahf will get all changes, spheres on wings, sensors at the start of tailboom, on the nose and fairing changes on the wing. Basicly there is a visual difference on the body, it will be reflected on the model.

@Smurf- As far as I know the animation doesn't effect flight in the game but rather displays what is going on, collective input raises the swashplate, the scissors pull up with it and the arms and blades get pushed up. Cyclic input will cause the swashplate to tilt in the given diraction and the blades to raise and drop with the given angles (tilt cylic left, left blade droops right blade rises, same thing with pitch.) The flight model however is being worked on, the latest is shown in the video below, while too agile for a D this is most likely how it will be for the Alpha model, the D will be less agile but only by a small amount, it will still be more maneuverable than the OA longbow.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26474620/flight%20test.zip

(Pardon the lag at points, it would likely have gone much smoother had I not been listening to this

at the time) This may however be changed, the current agility is perfect for the AH-64A but the D will most likely be a bit bulkier, by not nearly the amount of the OA longbow. Also cockpit view position is not final.

EDIT: There will be another video later displaying the flight and rotor system at work in slow motion.

Edited by NodUnit

@Nod-Franze: Impressive work on the rotors, hows that gonna change the flying mechanics?

It's a visual effect only; basically your inputs are finally reflected properly like in the real thing. Instead of changing direction by PFM* you see how the blades change their pitch accordingly to move in the direction desired. The blades also flap up and down to reflect the changes in force resulting from pitch.

*Pure Frickin' Magic

I wasn't aware you had animation input sources for control sources. That's impressive. Is your team going to make the rotor cone influenced by the control input as well?

I'll accept that.

Also the 2nd video is uploaded, this is the one I recommend having some music for unless you want 8 minutes of silence. I wish I could have put some music in then again it would have probably been "Living on a prayer" and something else..

Also uploading to that dropbox thing.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26474620/rtr1-1.zip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26474620/flight%20test.zip

Christ!! it so damn agile...

I wasn't aware you had animation input sources for control sources. That's impressive. Is your team going to make the rotor cone influenced by the control input as well?

When you say cone do you mean the effect of the rotors being raised or?

;1900984']Christ!! it so damn agile...

Isn't she though' date=' many people seem to the think the apache is not a very maneuverable helicopter, I'm not sure why that is..true that the alpha is more maneuverable than the longbow, and what you see in that video is more than likely going to be the alpha but even then the D model won't be far behind. Here is a video of the AH-64A's agility. [url']

[/url] (Thanks to Pure for the tip on time)

It gets a bit freaky at times when flying, it feels as though I'm watching one of the many video's I've seen in cockpits and from the outside, but controlling it. It is still not a good idea to get cocky however, I've replicated the "Ye of old faith" video more times than I care to count and thought I could defy gravity only to smash into the ground.

Edited by NodUnit

When you say cone do you mean the effect of the rotors being raised or?

I can see that it cones up already in your videos.

I mean, will it cone forward when the cyclic is applied forward, or to the side or back depending on the cyclic movement. The blades movement should precede the movement of the helicopter slightly.

I3Pp4vOr3SE

This is always an entertaining video to watch helicopter blade movement. In ArmA (or was it ArmA 2?) BIS made the blades of the helicopters move depending on the attitude of the helicopter. After some research, zGuba saw that there was seemingly a limitation with what kind of inputs you could animate, as demonstrated in this thread and video. So it seems like you've found a way to get around this limitation, or BIS has put in new animation inputs. That's great news! Now I see you have the cyclic controlling rotor pitch. I was wondering if you were able to control that as well as the rotor 'flapping' when the rotor was at full speed.

Hard to say especially since we have nothing to cut off, virtually all components on the apache are out of reach and I'm still working on keeping myself centered with the commanding camera while moving (I swear my pedals are at work when I don't want them to be)

In other news Franze has been busy today, he's given the grey monster some more teeth, incissors and some maulers.

I got some new toys..would you like to play with me?

MR2.jpg

Did you say tanks?

tankhunter.jpg

Infantry columns and light armor?

Heavyhog1-1.jpg?t=1303193714

Okay..lets play..

Edited by NodUnit

@Max:

The reason the rotor chopped off the refueling probe is gyroscopic precession, and has a lot less to do with cyclic input than you may think.

I wasn't suggesting you model mast bumping or boom strikes... just wondering if you guys are going for that kind of motion. The motion of the entire disc is more notable for observers than the pitch of the individual blades.

I'll leave that question for Franze to answer since he's in control of it, that and understands it better than me, I don't want to go saying something only for it to not be true.

Decided to record a few videos of the 'fun'.

You want to play tank and helicopter first?.. Peekaboo I see you I see you back there, you'll let me get closer first? No need, just give me one moment..............oh dear, it seems your tank has spontaneously combusted..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26474620/AT1.zip

Oh hiding behind tree's this time to spoof my missiles, great tactic, I can hide behind tree's too ^^....oh...your tank did it again...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26474620/AT2.zip no addons/mods used other than the helicopter itself.

Rockets are fun as well, especially when combined with pylon elevation, normal salvo is two but if you need to hose the area quicker or add more punch to one shot, four at once will do the trick.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26474620/RKT1.zip

Edited by NodUnit

oki so it's very very beautifull ! but i see something is it normal for the rotor to turn very slow like that ?

EDIT : 404 not found for the third video ;)

Edited by M1n1d0u

Doh! forgot to mention that the videos were recorded with setacctime 0.25 to get a better look at the missiel changing trajectory into the sky rather than the sudden "FWOOSH! wait a minute..*rewinds several times to see what happened*"

Aw drop box doesnt want you guys to see the pylon elevation. :| I'll make a megaupload for the time being till it gets fixed. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PSLBSYR9 Just as the 404 gets fixed...go figure.

Edited by NodUnit