Sign in to follow this  
digitalcenturion

[WIP] Northern Takistan map (1670 sq km)

Can't wait for some more SS's. :D

This map is gonna be awesome.

Absolutely amazing!

How could i even miss this one? Jesus H Christ, this is so awesome... 41x41km... Finally a map in a realistic combat size...

Long-Range Arty attacks and Air-support.

Don't mind if fidelity isn't BIS OA/Arma2 like, you can if you have fun/joy and get good feedback improve this baby over time (even years). :-)

Common pls show something =)

more inspiration

do little water rivers

guys common, give him a break

If he had any updates he would probably post them...

T the goal is to have a open beta before Fallout New Vegas hits

Vegas is out now, he's probably into it.

Really really nice map btw :)

Hi guys!

Yeah so FNV hit me pretty bad :) But i finished it now and while quite good it was maybe not all i had hoped for, the engine additions are awesome but i actually liked the combat that FO3s DC setting provided more. I actually have 2 WIP mods going for FNV too, one weapon addon and another that revamps the NCR.. but that is thoroughly OT.

As for the map, I am going to start cracking on it soon again, i just needed a bit of time out with it. It's frustatring working on a map this big because of the 25min save times in photoshop and just generic chugginess of it all, nevermind the huge scale of the map. But i want to get it done, and i want to get out an open beta. So next week i might have pics again for you all! Sorry for being MIA for this time, hehe.. so many games, so little time :P

Damn 25min save times sure would make it bloody annoying, all the best with the rest of it mate.

Well, have been working on the beast some now, got rid of the annoying walls around the map at the cost of some definition on the edges of the map. Have been cracking at slowly completing the main road network and adding small villages here and there. If any beta testers want the updated v. give me a pm. Some pictures:

takin10.jpg

You can have pretty epic roadtrips now.

takin11.jpg

Example of small village added

takin12.jpg

Overlooking the river...

While a desert is pretty ideal for a large map like this and also keeping fps managable, I really dont know enough of about places like this to beliavably place culture objects and stuff. Not sure if the end users reflect on this, but it slows the creative process down a bit.

Also, it has dawned on me now how darn big 40x40km is as a game world, its HUGE! Just walking from side to side would take 8 hours (calculated using a 5km/hr walk pace). But aside from problems working on it i think ArmA 2 needs a map like this to show off the really choppers and planes we got and some more realistic armored ops et cetera.

As much as I'd love a christmas public beta i dont think i could manage a bug free release by then. The config issues are whats really holding this baby back, but ill resolve them soon enough, i think...

Yeah mate take your time. 40 x 40 km is a huge terrain . . . nearly endless work.

the screens look awesome. Thanks for this huge undertaking of creating such a big terrain.

keep it up.

kind regards

This looks better then the original Takistan from BIS :biggrin: Good job man, I like the winding river idea

No pressure or ungratefulness meant, but with Real Life and Christmas, do you see your map appearing before or by Christmas? I wish I had the skill and time you have put into this. Thanks for your effort whether it comes out now or later. And Merry Christmas to you and yours and everyone else here.