• Better GUI
    • Improved and new Modules
    • More DLC(Downloadable content)
    • More Islands
    • Single Player

Probably been mentioned but...

Reloading animations

Items getting damaged when shot, ie, glass windows breaking

Actually getting in and out of vehicles propperly and not stepping up into thin air "can't believe this has never been improved"

I don't really care if a bullet drops in speed and angle perfectly as it would in real life when we still can't get in and out of a car by using the actual door.

Better Vehicle handling would be nice, like cars not driving like their on rails etc.

Being able to climb up and preform small jumps, same again, can't understand why this has never been added.

Also I like being able to just drop any item anywhere I like, and not have to find something to put it in to get rid of it.

I want to be able to at least jog \ run slowly and still be able to shoot, not bothered about being that accurate, but I'm like sure soldiers do quite often move and shoot quickly when the need arises.

Being able to climb up and preform small jumps, same again, can't understand why this has never been added.

Also I like being able to just drop any item anywhere I like, and not have to find something to put it in to get rid of it.

You can drop items anywhere you like. (unless you mean missions that do not allow this?)

They probably never added jump to prevent bunny hopping that you see in every MP game. Imagine Arma with bunny hopping every time somebody is shot at? :eek:

Glass, shoot it once, its GONE! Why cant they fix the way glass is treated in this game? Games 10 years ago could "handle" glass, but this "advanced" game cant? FIX IT in a patch, pay a programmer to do it, or pay to copy it from a 10 year old game.

Glass, shoot it once, its GONE! Why cant they fix the way glass is treated in this game? Games 10 years ago could "handle" glass, but this "advanced" game cant? FIX IT in a patch, pay a programmer to do it, or pay to copy it from a 10 year old game.

Comparing Arma2 to a corridor shooter, be it old or modern, is not sensible. If you think that a large scale sim like Arma2 should work exactly like a small scale corridor shooter, then you are sadly mistaken. When you start working with an environment that is measured in tens of km² and hundreds of thousands of objects, you have to start reducing complexity in order to optimize the rendering process and preserve CPU cycles.

Long story short: having a huge environment to play in comes at the cost of fancy physics. If you prefer more of the latter, I think BF BC2 may be right up your alley.

Look at GTA IV, ok arma 2 is bigger and have better graphics,

but there are still allot of peds in GTA IV they are ALL euphoria rag dolls.

Uhm, sure Euphoria is great, but you realize that its not active most of the time, only when peds/niko bumb into something right?

Saves CPU resources.

Problem is its licence costs i guess thats the reason why we wont see this in any BIS title sad but true. (or physx, or ragdoll)

Not to mention everything is constantly being spawned in with GTA IV, not persistently there like in Arma 2.

Netcode, Graphics and the Engine.....and not making new stuff. Not untill what we already have works better.

Take the netcode for instance....

Make a dedicated server mission with one AI and yourself and he will warp when moving at distance. This is bizzarre for a game that supposed to be so "multiplayer"!

Make a dedicated server mission with you and one squad running toward you and let them pass you closeby. Monitor your network traffic and watch the network traffic sky rocket as the squad gets nearer. This is also nuts! What's being transmitted......all the models and graphics???? Not just a few coordinates????

1 kilo byte per second is one thousand bytes per second...or one thousand characters.....or about a page of data every second.

64 kilo byte per second is a phenomenal amount of data if used correctly.

Even 16 kilo byte per second is a lot if used correctly. That's 16,000 characters or 16 pages of data every second!

It's beyond me totally! I just don't get it.

1. Improved AI in urban environment. Cover usage, elastic formations, quick insertion and retreat. Buildings usage. Ability to use friendly vehicles as cover or fire support. Cooperation between various types of forces, so AI commander would rather send Stryker MGS to take down enemy strongpoint/sniper position than rush it with nearest units just because they CAN engage with current damage/armor balance.

2. Armor/penetration values. Not only helmets and body armour. Along with new section in tanks or IFV representing ammunition storage it could give quite realistic armor warfare, where APC can be barely affected by multiple penetrations, but lucky hit on ammo storage with old PG-7 can totally destroy T-72, while hitting frontal armour can basically only mess its paintjob.

Edited by boota

You can drop items anywhere you like. (unless you mean missions that do not allow this?)

They probably never added jump to prevent bunny hopping that you see in every MP game. Imagine Arma with bunny hopping every time somebody is shot at? :eek:

bunny hopping is not a problem because you can make it so

that after 3 jumps you get tiered just like when you sprint.

Besides in real life you can jump if you want, soldiers do it some times if needed.

for a game that want to be as real as possible i would say we need a jump.

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

)rStrangelove;1754214']Uhm' date=' sure Euphoria is great, but you realize that its not active most of the time, only when peds/niko bumb into something right?

Saves CPU resources.

Problem is its licence costs i guess thats the reason why we wont see this in any BIS title sad but true. (or physx, or ragdoll)[/quote']

Yeah you are probably right about Euphoria not being active all the time,

and your point is?

anyway, i know that Euphoria is expansive but i think BI can afford it,

it's not like it's millions of dollars,

my guess it's a few tens of thousands of dollars but i did not find any info (didn't look so hard).

will BI really do it? no, i guess not but i can dream can't I?

Anyway Euphoria or not,

arma 3 better have some sort of ragdolls and modern physics better than what there is now

otherwise it would start to look ridicules.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

Not to mention everything is constantly being spawned in with GTA IV, not persistently there like in Arma 2.

very true.

i am aware that implementing Euphoria or something like it in a game like arma 3

is much harder than GTA IV but it is possible if they rewrite the engine,

something i think they should have done for arma 2 already but hey...

arma 3 is also good for me :)

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

Mmmm... sounds a little ridiculous, doesn't it ?

maybe i went a bit over board,

but still, the arma series need more polish in general.

GUI is a big part of it, better than OPF but still need allot of polish.

Edited by bez

I voted for better AI, GUI.

ANIMATIONS

I also think they should work ALLOT on the animations.

Now I am not expecting it to happen in arma2 but for the next game...

they should use euphoria, or make something like euphoria.

Look at GTA IV, ok arma 2 is bigger and have better graphics,

but there are still allot of peds in GTA IV they are ALL euphoria rag dolls.

back to animations, the so called mantel is funny imho,

soldiers sometimes jump over small rocks while running,

they can climb walls, they even train in CQB to push other up walls and such.

think about arma 3 and euphoria :eek:

which leads me to the physics which is something that should be revamped in the next game in general,

proper physics like rigid objects, physical demolition of large objects, proper vehicle physics and a smart ragdoll system (euphoria).

this would make arma3 the best game ever and don't let anyone fool you, it can be done if they will rewrite the engine

(which must happen in the next game).

This

I think the main issue in all armed assaults was that they were so clumsy. Animations are stiff and everything is always so buggy. For example people bouncing on the rocks and falling through the floor. Animations should be at least like in Dragon rising. They weren't smooth like in cod but they were good enough. I dont know are these improvements possible with arma's current engine If there isn't any way then the engine should be changed. Animations and the clumsiness in general are the reason why all my friends hate arma. These are ArmA's weakest points.

Second thing is AI. I think it's too good. It sees you through the trees and bushes and kills you in a sec. I don't see any fun in this. I have tried ArmA 2 campaign dozens of times with my firends and it's been just too hard. Even how hard we try to sneak or flank them, we die. I also hate the grass. It's too long and it sucks because it doesn't harm the AI. It sees you but you can't see him. And lying is same as closing your eyes. Dragon rising did this better too. The AI wasn't perfect but it gave challenge and wasn't such a cheater.

Third thing is the effects. Shooting in ArmA sucks. Sounds are decent but the gun just feels crappy. I would like to see same kind of ground shaking thing like in dragon rising when the apache was shooting you, that was badass.

Overall this game is just a tactical simulator for me. It's a training field. I don't get any feel of intense war or survival . It is just walking and then getting killed. Only thing which is good in ArmA is mod community and all the addons and stuff. Even though im a fan of tactical games and i've been ofp fan since the release the addons are the only reason for me to play this game. Sorry for comparing Dragon rising for ArmA, but Dragon rising was at least decent in all these 3 things and i think BIstudios can do better. Don't start flaming and tell me to get lost im just saying my opinion as an old fan and i would love to see these 3 things being improved on the next game.

This

I don't get any feel of intense war or survival . It is just walking and then getting killed........

I agree with everything you said here. The immersion is just not there with the flickering graphics, the popping trees, the clumsiness of the controls, the inconsistency with the sounds etc.

For instance....Why when we zoom do the trees have to morph through three of four different shapes before we see the "final tree". Just go to the "final tree" without all morphing.....surely this would be easier on the frame rates.

When a bullet lands next to me I can hardly hear it. In the old Ghost Recon when you were shot at you knew about it. A bullet landing closeby would scare your socks off. You know you are being shot at. That is how it should be. Not an almost inaudible sound that leaves you wondering what it was.

Being hit with a round should be an incredible thump! It's hardly noticeable in this game. It's around 1000 ft/lbs of energy....you are going to hear it when it hits meat! We still play ancient Ghost Recon because of the shear fun factor and immersion.

I have reached the stage....after ten years....where I can just write scripts without looking shit up (I love scripting).....and would like to make a multiplayer game for me and my two mates to replace our Monday night Ghost Recon sessions.....but unfortunatley the netcode also sucks and we refuse to play with all the AI warping etc. I won't even look at multiplayer until they fix these issues.....which I don't think they ever will. After all it's been ten years and we still have the same dopey netcode.

Too many bugs......too many inconsistencies.

Get your shit together BIS!

Edited by twirly

This

I think the main issue in all armed assaults was that they were so clumsy. Animations are stiff and everything is always so buggy. For example people bouncing on the rocks and falling through the floor. Animations should be at least like in Dragon rising. They weren't smooth like in cod but they were good enough. I dont know are these improvements possible with arma's current engine If there isn't any way then the engine should be changed. Animations and the clumsiness in general are the reason why all my friends hate arma. These are ArmA's weakest points.

Second thing is AI. I think it's too good. It sees you through the trees and bushes and kills you in a sec. I don't see any fun in this. I have tried ArmA 2 campaign dozens of times with my firends and it's been just too hard. Even how hard we try to sneak or flank them, we die. I also hate the grass. It's too long and it sucks because it doesn't harm the AI. It sees you but you can't see him. And lying is same as closing your eyes. Dragon rising did this better too. The AI wasn't perfect but it gave challenge and wasn't such a cheater.

Third thing is the effects. Shooting in ArmA sucks. Sounds are decent but the gun just feels crappy. I would like to see same kind of ground shaking thing like in dragon rising when the apache was shooting you, that was badass.

Overall this game is just a tactical simulator for me. It's a training field. I don't get any feel of intense war or survival . It is just walking and then getting killed. Only thing which is good in ArmA is mod community and all the addons and stuff. Even though im a fan of tactical games and i've been ofp fan since the release the addons are the only reason for me to play this game. Sorry for comparing Dragon rising for ArmA, but Dragon rising was at least decent in all these 3 things and i think BIstudios can do better. Don't start flaming and tell me to get lost im just saying my opinion as an old fan and i would love to see these 3 things being improved on the next game.

Well well well.

I really guess it's a matter of taste, but if DR was "decent on these 3 things", it is so bad in other areas that it's simply laughable. If you liked OFP (the original one) for what it is, ie an open field game which allows you to do anything you want to complete your missions, from driving a tractor to piloting a mig, in a persistent world (the world goes on without the player) and not a faked one, with hundreds of AI living their own life (and not 64 entities) then you simply can't compare DR to ArmA2. You can love both games, but they simply don't do the same thing. Because DR does less than the original OFP did.

I don't say there isn't room for improvements, but the addon community shouldn't be "the only reason to play this game". If so, you'd better give up.

Well well well.

I really guess it's a matter of taste, but if DR was "decent on these 3 things", it is so bad in other areas that it's simply laughable. If you liked OFP (the original one) for what it is, ie an open field game which allows you to do anything you want to complete your missions, from driving a tractor to piloting a mig, in a persistent world (the world goes on without the player) and not a faked one, with hundreds of AI living their own life (and not 64 entities) then you simply can't compare DR to ArmA2. You can love both games, but they simply don't do the same thing. Because DR does less than the original OFP did.

I don't say there isn't room for improvements, but the addon community shouldn't be "the only reason to play this game". If so, you'd better give up.

I didn't say Dragon Rising was good and i don't even want to play it because it was a major fail. Simply because codemaster was too greedy. No sdk and no dedicated servers. And even though DR had only max 64 entities it still had double amount of action compared to ArmA. I just want some tactical and realistic gaming mixed with action.

Ofp, ArmA1&2 are almost only games which allows you mess around with stupid things and give that freedom. Thats why i sometimes play them. But honestly i haven't had such a intense feeling in ArmAs like i had in OFP. AI is just so freaking crazy and you can't survive. They are unrealistically good. When i airsofted some years ago i couldn't see enemis like 500m away or through trees or something. You had even some chance in OFP and thats why i had sometimes epic moments in it. I loved the Wolves of Everon mission and all long missions but you can't just finish that kind of missions in both ArmAs. It's impossible. ArmA is like slow paced mission impossible.

Every time i buy BI's OFP series game i hope they have fixed the major flaws but no. They are always BUGGY, laggy and clumsy. Someone suggested CryEngine 3 in other thread and i think it could be a good idea. If they can't fix the clumsiness and bugginess with their current engine then please, just change it.

Edited by Zalsak

One thing I have to agree with is that Arma2 often lacks the immersion created by other "Hollywood" style games. While Arma2 is awesome many areas, and has infinite replayability if you can look past its flaws, what it really lacks in order to be really immersive is polish. The gameplay and tempo are fine the way they are - the only thing that's disturbing the flow is the fact that this diamond is quite rough around the edges.

... Animations should be at least like in Dragon rising...
... Dragon rising did this better too...
... Sorry for comparing Dragon rising for ArmA, but Dragon rising was at least decent in all these 3 things...

Sorry, no.

If your friends want animations like DR that means they want a floating weapon with no feet and movement that does not match their 3rd person animations. Leave that to arcade FPS games like DR, and perhaps those will please you and your friends more. On-a-swivel animations != good animations.

I too want to see the animation system improved as it's still far from perfect, but I want to see the style of BIS' animation system remain as I find it unique to them. A mix between OFP's and Arma 2's animations would be ideal in my eyes.

Well, VSync can always be forced off in the driver settings, but an in-game option would certainly make things easier.

Speak for yourself, with an ATI card you cant do that.

Agrees with the shooting in general (at least in ArmA OA). I simply do not like the new recoil which makes it impossible to shoot several bullets on target, ArmA 2 did not had that, there the scope would pop back to the same place after a burst. At least they should have implemented an option to disable it or tweak it. The AI do not have recoil, they have auto aim and can empty an entire clip on you with out any problem, which makes it a bit an unbalanced battle.

animation changing would be a major change, and perhaps a major setback, because OFP/ArmA since the beginning is very unique in this matter : the bullets in the game truely come out of your weapon's barrel, not from a point floating in front of view.

which means to shoot forward, you must wait for anim to complete and weapon to be pointed exactly where you want to shoot, resulting in the stiffness described.

while I agree I'm not super fond of the current anims, though they are 10x better than what we had in A1, I'm not sure I'd like this feature to be dropped just to have more fluid things. It's a bit of a double edged sword. The whole parralax management would have to be forgotten, and crosshair shooting would be ultra easy

This choice include many MP wishes like

• ability to start campaigns on DS
  • save games on DS
  • use mission templates on DS
  • as logged admin, open a mission editor session on DS (like in -host)
  • solve the MP AI warping
  • fix MP locality issues with vehicles
  • VON to work like ACRE

[*]solve the MP AI warping

This is a biggie for me. This is more than an immersion killer. This is just plain non-working netcode that needs serious attention!

A multiplayer game that can't really be played multiplayer! LOL!

Dedicated Server Optimization: think everyone has pretty much covered all of my areas on this already EXCEPT the ability to assign an IP address rather than main one only.

Improved Vehicles/Units: Don't mind DLC or full addons like OA but would be a lot better if all OA vehicles/units also were skinned in woodland/green camo, also for the likes of BAF it just seemed short of some of the assets to make it really worthwhile and allow us to make full missions like support vehicles, planes and MBTs.

Improved AI Skills and life like actions: the AI need to be a bit smarter and be able to patrol in buildings by default, the likes of Kronzky's UPS and wolffy.au's cB Random House Position and Patrol is the way they should react and be able to be used.

Edited by BearBison
Added IP address assignment