Sign in to follow this  
ArmAIIholic

[COOP/SP36] Hornet's nest [free roam/sandbox Chernarus]

Problem with AI staying behind is not WICT's problem, (...)

That's why I wrote "game engine related problem"! :D

Normal aid system cannot work with Norrin's revive

That's why I asked you whether it would be possible to provide an option which gives the player a choice between Norrin's revive script and the normal aid system provided by the game.

Truck with AI driver is somehow slow option.

Of course but you've taken so much effort in immersion and you surely will agree that spawning a truck directly around the player is the extreme opposite - that doesn't fit together!

Knighthawk reinforcements.... Ok for SP, but for COOP there is not much point... I will try to find a solution.

This would be much appreciated! By the way, have you already fixed the knighthawk related problem (which I pointed out in the WICT thread some time ago) in the new version of WICT?

Edited by Velocity

I set up MP: my squad only (the other two disabled) with me being the only nonAI: I wanted to attack an enemy position (secops), I had the respawn tent a 200meters behind, and we ran into a static defense behind a bush, so half of my squad died. In the exact same moment they reported from the tent behind. I don't know if this is the way it should work, but what I saw was the 12 men staying 12 all the time, but only their position changed.

And about immersion: I guess Velocity is after maximum immersion too, and A2H you have made a game this time. I know it is hard to balance the two (fun because of immersion vs. fun because of playing a game), and COOP only makes it even harder.

Anyways, I accept this (which doesn't mean I wouldn't like to play with a totally immersive mission with all the game mechanics hidden). So using this viewpoint Hornet's nest is outstanding: game in a game, and things work great.

@ Velocity normal aid system should be sync with all playable units if Norrin's script isn't active. I might do that, I will take that option into consideration.

I didn't fixed Knighthawk -- I forgot :o with all this work....

@ zapat and Velocity I will check problem with Norrin's script and I will try to fix that transport spawning. There is another problem --- AI driving.... So I will find some balanced solution. I hope...

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

Now here is my testing:

1) I opened WICT.utes in non-debug mode and I had no problem with AI -- they nailed me right away

2) I started Hornet's nest on LAN as host on first position team leader with only AI on 2nd position, all other AIs disabled, started the game, went a little bit into the woods and shot him. He felt down, reported his position and screamed for help, waiting to be revived, without spawning at start position.

Same if I shot him right away on starting position.

Can anyone confirm this?

And about immersion: I guess Velocity is after maximum immersion too (...)

Nope that's not the point - I want to ensure the consistency of the gameplay within this scenario - else it would be inconclusive / not convincing. It's difficult to express my intention (as I'm no native speaker), so I hope you understand it in the right way.

I didn't fixed Knighthawk -- I forgot with all this work....

:(

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

He felt down, reported his position and screamed for help, waiting to be revived, without spawning at start position.

Same if I shot him right away on starting position.

Can anyone confirm this?

Yes of course, why?

For future releases would it be possible to have the report say what side captured what base? Something like "Opfor captured Alpha" if the base was named alpha for example

Yes of course, why?

Well then I don't get it :confused:

That means Norrin's revive script works and that units won't respawn immidiately. That emphases reviving rather than respawn. And if the unit is not revived then it respawns.

I don't like this kind of respawn. It remembered me of the game lemmings
I don't see how else would be COOP possible -- players have to respawn, lemmings or not... I am really :confused: Are you reporting that Norrin's revive is not working, are you reporting that delay is short (60 sec for revive) or something else?
I set up MP: my squad only (the other two disabled) with me being the only nonAI: I wanted to attack an enemy position (secops), I had the respawn tent a 200meters behind, and we ran into a static defense behind a bush, so half of my squad died. In the exact same moment they reported from the tent behind. I don't know if this is the way it should work, but what I saw was the 12 men staying 12 all the time, but only their position changed.
It is possible that Norrin's revive has something else on mind when players are blown up... :o I think that I had situations that when they are *critically* wounded == "full" dead they automatically respawn.

Therefore, I still need confirmation that revive / respawn = Norrin's revive is working ok.

@ Katipo66 sure it is possible, I will think about it as an optional setting, but it shouldn't be obligatory since designers would have to give actual name to every base instead of simply putting b1, b2, b3....

Edited by ArmAIIholic

Big misunderstanding - I thought it has been mentioned before that I (we) switched the revive parameter to "no revive" as I don't like the Norrin's revive script at all.

Huh... thanx man, you took a big rock from my chest.... I though it is not working at all.... Ok I will check how to make a respawn delay and how to implement regular first aid if Norrin's script is disabled. I think that delayed GameLogic that is sync all players with those modules if Norrin's script is off will be enough and piece of cake.

Maybe I'll put that also in manual.

Now I have idea to work on tutorial / project "Unleashing the beast of spawning in ArmA2", I think that, once for all I've found the way to remove boundaries between groups limit and spawning completely scripted missions with tasks, waypoints, reinforcements etc.

Now I have idea to work on tutorial / project "Unleashing the beast of spawning in ArmA2", I think that, once for all I've found the way to remove boundaries between groups limit and spawning completely scripted missions with tasks, waypoints, reinforcements etc.

You should think of a job as armascriptsuperbrain ^^

Another point: SpecOps

Is it possible to alter the intervall and probability of this module? I was thinking about maybe 3 - 5 minutes and an overall probability of around 40%.

Reason: Although I really like this module it assigns missions way to often.

Xa xa xa yes that problem Richey79 reported for Into the Hills for Pathera.

I will tweak SecOps.

I don't think ArmA dev are looking this. It would be really nice from them to implement dynamic battlefronts into new ArmA --- it would be GTA4 or Red Dead redemption military simulation :D Personally I think it would be superb.

If anyone knows how can I contact Bohemia and get in touch with someone *important* not a janitor I WOULD GLADLY GIVE THEM ALL MY SCRIPTS to use in the next ArmA, just with one request --- to send me a game when they finish it.

SO BOHEMIA INTERACTIVE DO YOU HEAR ME??? :D

Do not do that! You need to disable AI-teams that you are not playing in SP and you will need probably respawn point during gameplay.

Install it in MP and start it as LAN host as only player and disable all AI that you don't want -- mainly other AI-teams. If you don't disable them (3 teams are starting on different locations) WICT won't be able to work correctly.

thx for warning, I'll take care ;)

I missed this statement at http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12034

Post removed so please disregard. Thx!

Edited by [KH]Jman

:)Just had another go hosted on lan but SP. Just one things that I noticed: the yellow player markers on the map disappear upon respawning

hey

sounds amazing what u have created here

so, if i understand right, this cant be played on a dedicated server? do we have to host the game ourselfs? the mission is named co-36, how would someone be able to host a game for 36 players? im confused :o

i already put this on our dedi server and first thing what i notice is that the time passes by like mad. 1 minute is 1 second, is there a setting somewhere to change that? because the fast moving clouds are looking really weird.

im really looking forward to try this,it really sounds like this is the kind of mission i was always looking for since ofp times :)

thank u for sharing ur work with us :thumb:

*edit now after writing this and switching back into the game the fast moving clouds r gone, hmmm and i was already ambushed and killed XD

Edited by RunForrest

@ LockJaw-65- I will check that markers, but that is F2, or something else...

@ RunForrest it works on dedi and MP and there is 36 slots for players. You can also play it as SP if you host it only for you on LAN.

Fast moving clouds are only 45 min --- don't know how many seconds -- this is part of the time shift feature in the new WICT v3.5 --- it shifts the time 45 min before desired time and then fast forward exactly on the time you specified.

There are some places on the map that have time shifts --- this gives you different setups for different missions on the same map.

TRICK QUESTION

*** There is one HVT played at night ---- can you find it? :D :cool:

Now I've had some more time to play this. Not using the instant Humvee and halo, and keeping an eye on wounded squadmates kept the whole thing immersive, and I had fun with it.

I went west from the shore and rigth after the airport, enemy disappeared. In the last 20 mins or so I didn't meet one single enemy unit, but the map was full of west side and west helis, transport units taking base after base, so the balance got out of sync somewhere...

Which bases did they took? Did you took the first airport right at the start? Where were you? Did you try to HALO somewhere else? You were playing SP, right?

Obviously I have to do more testings, but I never had such a problem.....

You know that it WICT has limit for spawning and I will try to increase scan distance, but that is really odd what you've reported.

Thanx

Yes, it was odd for me too:

MP, with only human me, with 5 squad mates, no other squad activated.

No halo jump, no respawn happened for me.

I started in the direction of Olsha, I destroyed te convoy, that place was swarming with West soldiers already, but we had some enemies. Than I went for the airport base, where helis arrived, and we cleaned the whole place. I was very slow between the base and Olsha. When I went for Krashostav, no enemy was present, the transport guys took the village very fast. By the time I got to Krashostav's temple, the next base was taken in the west. I used ACE so I could se allied groups, and they were a LOT. Then by the time I got to this next base the crowd on the airport disappeared (I guess it was the clean-up algorithm.) And I got that far, and I heard distant shootings, when I stopped playing. Today I press forward. :) Anyways, I enjoyed it: there are times in a battle, when you are behind the lines...

@ A2H dont worry too much about the markers its not a big problem in some ways it makes it too easy anyway...;)

Then by the time I got to this next base the crowd on the airport disappeared (I guess it was the clean-up algorithm.) And I got that far, and I heard distant shootings, when I stopped playing. Today I press forward.

zapat why didn't you say so :D yes I think scan distance played a role there :)

the other bases at Novy Sobor and Stary Sobor are far away so this setup made a gap between upper part with Krasnostav, central part with Sobor(s) and lower part south coast.

Which is not a bug, but almost great.

Yes, your experience with WICT is great, it might be clearing algorithm. And if you head shooting it means that firefights continue, which is great.

I can hardly wait for your next comment buddy.

I'm trying this out as SP. I have a small team (5 AI). Mobile re-spawn point works well, but I seem to have some changes after I re-spawn. After one re-spawn I had no control over AI team (no icons in lower screen). Sometimes I do have AI icons, but they wont obey commands - as though someone els has taken over ("One is down - I'm the new actual"). And SecOps flags appear on the map without any access to SecOps on the menu.

Other than not dying...and I'm pretty good at getting killed - :) - ...is there any way to keep full controlover AI after re-spawn?

@ CharlieMike24 thanx for informing. I believe those issues are part of F2 framework and Norrin's. I had occasional problems with one unit not obeying commands, but never the whole team.

Sometimes it works well giving them all Wait command (I believe it is radio 1-7) and then regroup r-1-1.

However since there are some passionate SP players here, for the next release I will separate SP from COOP therefore making two releases.

COOP will have Norrin's script working and revive/respawn, while SP will have regular First Aid and Battle clearance and of course radio call for auto-save and reinforcements.

I finally realized those two gameplay types require quite different approaches.

so as ANNOUNCEMENT:

in the next release SP and COOP will be separated :D

with Knighthawk-Reinforcements (the fixed version) for SP :D

Edited by ArmAIIholic

I finally realized those two gameplay types require quite different approaches.

Yes indeed :-)

so as ANNOUNCEMENT:

in the next release SP and COOP will be separated

Wonderful! Will you also implement Nighthawk-Reinforcements (the fixed version) for SP?

hey

we gave this a go yesterday and we really liked the atmosphere... battles all over the place :D

just a quick unsorted review of things that pop into my head:

we started with 3 players (self hosted game- AI disabled) and getting to the first base (airport) was quite hard, we were almost pinned down at the beach, 3 kamovs were cycling over us, inf everywhere. running along the water without cover > bad idea, and fighting outnumbered in woods vs the AI... everyone knows how that ends :butbut:

after a few respawns finally we slipped through and we were surprised when we got help from friendly troops, really cool.

but starting again and again at the beach is quite uncomfortable, an option to respawn at bases, that already have been conquered would be good (maybe also different start location for easier free-roam start).

the revive-time-counter seemed way to short(should be 200 secs or so).

more self heals (3?)

the halo jump didnt work for any of us, we had the HALO in the action menu, but nothing happened activating it. same with the rest of the radio commands :confused: 2 publics on the server seem to had better luck and got TOW humwees as transport.

a detailed description in briefing notes what purpose the radio commands have would be good. in general all info about the mission should be in the briefing and tasks with description and succeeded or failed status. we had no idea what we could do at the airbase, there was nothing but a bunker, default weapon crates with AKs, AI patroling.

as i couldnt use the support stuff, i dont know if its limited or not, but i guess its not. my suggestion would be to limit it and add it in a way that makes sense (many ways and ideas how to do that) and doesnt make the mission to arcadish (or maybe thats just my taste).

theres much things to be taken care about in this mission and needs to be edited...( the devil is in the detail :rolleyes:) but again all that little details are a matter of taste...

so before i start telling u to add my/our taste of mission gameplay to UR mission i prefer editing the stuff myself :)

to cut a long story short... our scripter wasnt with us yesterday so im not 100% sure if he likes the style of the mission, but i guess he would.

so i would like to ask u if we may edit ur mission, because we have a framework for our missions with quite cool support stuff similar to the SOM module but it also works on dedi servers (SOM doesnt unfortunately- im still waiting for a fix of that from BIS)

*edit after an other test on LAN modus halo worked fine

another thing worth adding would be, that the loadout u had at time of death, would be saved

Edited by RunForrest