Sign in to follow this  
ArmAIIholic

[COOP/SP36] Hornet's nest [free roam/sandbox Chernarus]

Bees nest is good too...

Bees in the sandbox

Storm in the sandbox

Operation Chainsaw (these are not movies.:) )

Into the Wild

Edited by zapat

It says : "Here I will post my sandbox / free roam mission for vanilla A2 Chernarus"

First line first post. I hope link will be here around weekend.

--EDIT--

New features added on the list:

COIN

SecOps

both working fine.

Edited by ArmAIIholic

Have you already included the monetary (gain funds for killing enemies) feature combined with the base expansion?

No, there will be no funds for killing, sorry, I search the forum and found that it is part of Warfare module and I just didn't like the idea unPBOing that module, searching how it works and dealing with a lot of problems other people had. It requires adding killed Event Handles to all units and I just don't have time to do it for every template in WICT. And still I don't know how to actually increase funds in F2.

There are some templates though, but I thought it is easier to give funds to leader just to be able to put some additional stuff to the base. So I guess that it means no buying units or reinforcements. That will be handled as you progress through map.

However, I will have a peek to those Warfare templates, maybe I will find it easy enough at the end.

Now I am focusing on other stuff. Of course base expansion is working and there will be global order: mount static weapons so you can rely on AI to defend the base, something like Company of Heroes, we spoke about that.

Maybe you can work this out in future releases or even implement this in WICT as it really would fit into the scenario.

A2H: Is it going to be SP too, with savegames?

Of course -- as I said before you can always start it on LAN as only player and you will have AI coming to revive you and you will have all the benefit of mobile respawn point.

I will not put autosave points since they are not necessary because there is also infinite revive. And you will have autosave on exit and of course good old cheating.

And about giving money for kills -- well it could be kind of Mercenaries 2, but I recall that they had money only for destroying something or killing VIP targets etc. so I really don't want to put kill event handler to all templates for spawning. It is easier to do it from editor for H.V.T. and I think it is more realistic and in the spirit of Mercs 2.

I just hope that guys from F2 will respond with some help, so I can make reward and not "recalculate-money" system at the end.

In my opinion it will be even better when players gain money for completing missions - therefore it would be much more worth someone's while to do them (in terms of motivation).

Edited by Velocity

One more idea: there could be a main objective of the mission that would only be revealed if some points are achieved. This way the players would be inspired to get x points, and the mission could have a story/goal, or something like it...

Well I obviously have that problem since now player can parajump on any location.

However I designed it already as in "Into the hills" for Panthera -- enemy bases around main base, so if you (at least) don't capture those bases you will have to deal with lots of enemy units by yourself. I think it is better way, do you agree?

It will be impossible for player to capture the main base if he doesn't earn support from BLUFOR side.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

The release of this mission will be postponed because I am working on implementing full High Value Target system in the new release of WICT -- with price for capture and price for killing, all surrender stuff etc. like there was in Mercenaries 2 or there is in Red Dead Redemption. For example you will have to keep the Boss in your sight and point a gun at him to make him surrender and capture (aka. kill all bodyguards) or you can shoot around him very close to make him lie down.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

The release of this mission will be postponed because I am working on implementing full High Value Target system in the new release of WICT -- with price for capture and price for killing, all surrender stuff etc. like there was in Mercenaries 2 or there is in Red Dead Redemption. For example you will have to keep the Boss in your sight and point a gun at him to make him surrender and capture (aka. kill all bodyguards) or you can shoot around him very close to make him lie down.

Will this system support randomly generated HVT-Missions or how does it work in terms of implementation? To be more specific - will players have the choice to do these kind of missions (in order to gain more funds?)?

Is this all based on making money as in warfare, if so is there a parameter to dissable that feature? For me the money part spoils the emersion of the game.

As I understand it, funds aren't meant to be used like in warfare (to buy new units and all this stuff) but to expand your personal base which you can aquire during the game. Also the whole system of how you gain these funds is completely different to the system used in warefare (as A2H has mentioned it in one of his posts before).

Yes Velocity, player will have choice to do them or not. But I cannot guarantee that HVT will be there waiting for you if you go free-roam somewhere else. They will be scripted if you asked that, not randomly generated, but I could easily put a bounty on anybodies head. But it would be too much in my opinion --- HVTs should be something rare, not spawning around like rubber ducks waiting for you too pick up easy money.

Do you agree Velocity?

Now for LockJaw-65-, yes as Velocity wrote it isn't that kind of money. There will be no buying units or salvage trucks or something like that.

These will be funds for you to make defenses, buy some empty vehicles (just idea, not implemented yet) as tanks and APC which are not normally part of the transport system that you can order via radio.

Warfare will go with or without you, that as the main concept of WICT. If you decide to make defenses there will be ways to earn money / points --- look it like points in any RPG -- which you can spent on "buying" defenses, static weapons and vehicles.

Does this spoil immersion in the game? Let me hear your opinion you two, LockJaw-65- and Velocity.

Although I am not either of them two: :)

money itself has ruined my immersion too, since money has nothing to do with the battle. In a war, you don't buy tanks with $, but you can maybe earn things. Which are not sold to you, but granted. Anyways, you need to keep a kind of score in the game, there has to be an system in the background, but I agree $ and buying isn't the best solution.

Its a difficult question. I liked the concept of the warfare mode but as I said I did not like it when you killed an enemy and up on the screen it says you just earned so much for killing that man etc. I do think you need some means to improve your army, defences etc. So I suppose if you look at it like this the more ground you take (just an example) the more resource you have, so the more equipment / weapons become available. If it was based on something like that then it would probably help rather than hinder the emersion :)

zapat you are always welcome, these follows are new here. I don't have to ask you for opinion -- I just accept it :) just kidding about you two, you are all welcome and I am really honored that you participate in this.

What I though is quantifying this earning... in some way. E.g. you can earn artillery, but it is your choice when and where to unleash it. So what is the compromise?

I am looking at those points as points in RPG, like skill points. You will earn them and spend them on something you want. Is that a good choice?

Although you can buy equipment in war for $ and all wars are made because $$$, what would be compromise solution in this case?

Topic is open...

P.S. Thanx LockJaw-65-

What if you count experience points in the background? That would help immersion...

And when a limit for something is reached, HQ woud radio: something is granted for further use.

That requires a script constantly running in background that checks and if true it will give you the action in the action menu that you can use.

I was thinking about the same concept from different angle - you will request something from HQ and they will tell you if you earned it. In that way all communication is always available via radio.

If for example I put "Bring heavy toys (3500p)" in the radio menu, that way player will know a priori how many points does he need to "collect", which is good for planning.

Surprise awards will be there also: that could be special achievements.

I think that kind of gradation is good, right? "RPG-like-skill points" + special achievements.

--EDIT--

I also hate that system of $ for every soldier you nail.

Edited by ArmAIIholic

What if you count experience points in the background? That would help immersion...

And when a limit for something is reached, HQ woud radio: something is granted for further use.

This sounds good.

A2H you are right of course most wars are about money but generals to foot soldiers dont normally have that contact with it

Yes Velocity, player will have choice to do them or not. But I cannot guarantee that HVT will be there waiting for you if you go free-roam somewhere else. They will be scripted if you asked that, not randomly generated, but I could easily put a bounty on anybodies head. But it would be too much in my opinion --- HVTs should be something rare, not spawning around like rubber ducks waiting for you too pick up easy money.

Do you agree Velocity?

I wouldn't put a bounty on anybodies head either - this wouldn't fit in your scenario as it would destroy the plausibility (I think you will support the statement that it's much more realistic to gain a reward from your superior for killing a high value target than for killing some 08/15 soldier with no strategic value).

The point of randomly generated HVTs is somehow difficult to answer: On the one hand it would support the re-playability of your scenario as players would experience a different game each time they play it. Also players who like to experiment (or simply try new routes which haven't been forseen by your scripts) wouldn't be punished with no HVTs (as they are scripted). On the other hand you intend to create a scenario in which the player should have the possiblity to expand/improve his own base with certain, but limited, expansions/defences throughout the game. Therefore they need some funds (I will introduce another expression later), but they don't need an unlimited amount of them. Futhermore you have a point in stating out that HVTs should be something rare (else they wouldn't be "high value" targets). As a matter of these facts I agree that you should limit the amount of HVTs throughout the game, but you should provide the player with some random variables within these HVTs to deliver a slightly new experience each time your scenario is played.

Does this spoil immersion in the game? Let me hear your opinion you two, LockJaw-65- and Velocity.

As I've mentioned above, the expression "funds" is somehow inappropriate when used in this background. Also words like "money, dollars, ..." don't fit in this kind of scenario and would spoil the immersion of the game (obviously there are no dealers around who sell new tanks in return of money (it would be funny though - imagine a door-to-door salesman who sells tanks ... (Most likely I would kick his ass ^^))).

But now think of games like Company of Heroes or Dawn of War 2 - they use another expression which is, in my opinion, quite convenient: Requisition points. These points are granted to commanders who are successful in fulfilling tasks and can be spent to provide adequate supply on the battlefield. In comparison to other expressions (like "money" or "funds") requisition points would imply that they are used to order units/buildings/support from high command.

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

This sounds good.

A2H you are right of course most wars are about money but generals to foot soldiers dont normally have that contact with it

But don't forget - normal soldiers wouldn't be sent out to fulfill such an immense task (like fighting all over Chernarus). Also the story of this scenario could provide the player with the role of some kind of commander, who has the appropriate authority to contact HQ!