Sign in to follow this  
BobcatBob

What Mods should I get?

Hello everyone, I recently purchased Arma2 CO and I know there are TONS of mods out there! So instead of downloading everything in sight. I would like to have some information on your top five mods and why. (Also please advise how to download files and extract etc.) Do any mods conflict with each other? How?

I basically know nothing so feel free to add any extra advice concerning mods and how they work. Thanks!

Also, please inform about patches, do I only need to install the latsest or do I have to go from version 1.001 up or something? Must I delete previous patches before new versions are installed, if so is this process automatic?

Edited by BobcatBob

IMO, top priority is a good soundmod. I personally use ACEX_SM and Jarheadsounds, but there are more out there I havent even tried yet.

If you're into increased realism, you might like ACE2 (:notworthy:) and Mando (more realistic and complex missile weapon systems).

Apart from that, a good approach is to download some user made missions that look interesting and find just the mods you need for those (if any). Otherwise you may end up with a huge list of mods you can only use in the editor :)

Mandrake

PS. Welcome to the forums!

Edited by Mandrake5

Best thing is to look here first (this covers a lot of what your asking):

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=96591

Then have a look at the main suspect sites keeping up to date on whats new:

http://www.armaholic.com/

http://www.armedassault.info/

Also check the mods & addons - complete sections of this site for news and details.

Patches:

Basically you just need 1.54 even from out of the box, simply use 1.54 as an all-in-one patch, make sure you only get the patch from steam if you purchased from steam (auto update via steam), or direct downloads from the patch links (see news) for boxed/retail/Sprocket download.

Patch is auto, no need to uninstall before the next or anything, just run the next patch the same when the next comes out.

Edited by mrcash2009

My advice is to play ArmA2/CO without mods for a good while, then when you identify shortcomings or stuff you don't like, go looking for that mod :)

Or, if you don't really find anything you dislike enough to worry about, just look for interesting sounding mods. Each person has their own idea of what is interesting, I like the behavioral mods that change how the AI act & react.

My advice is to play ArmA2/CO without mods for a good while,

then when you identify shortcomings or stuff you don't like, go looking for that mod

What he said, or WarMod for Arma 2 when it comes out which covers most of the Arma 2 game.

But I would suggest getting used to the game and play it for a bit then mod it, you will gain a much

more appreciation for the mods out there from playing vanilla Arma 2,

and CO then going straight to mods.

What he said, or WarMod for Arma 2 when it comes out which covers most of the Arma 2 game.

But I would suggest getting used to the game and play it for a bit then mod it, you will gain a much more appreciation for the mods out there from playing vanilla Arma 2, and CO then going straight to mods.

Little bit of advertising there :p

Anyways, both are right. I played without mods up until about march. Then only got ones I wanted. Now I have a ton of mods, and use them all from time to time. I would suggest user a launcher whenever you start though, that way you can use precisely what you want.

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

imwithstupudko8.jpg

*Edit*

Actually, this post was supposed to go right below Günter's post. So don't think I was calling you stupid Nightrain

Edited by Encrypted_God
Spell Check

i dont like such questions topic existance

many addonmakers made big effort , no need to say this or that

many people spend their time and many people addons mods should be tried, played and having fun

there is no one good mod , all mods are made with heart and effort and sacrificing free time of people

also many mods are dedicated to country, so one man made mod for one country, another for another

really, such topics are not good

try as much as you can, have fun with them , people who make islands spend a loooooooooooooooot of time for free, so islands makers deserve mentioning too

making complete army of one country can take even year or two for person or few persons, so... try yourself, unless by "mod" you mean "changing gameplay modification"

cause in many other games (seems you are new) by word "mod" they mean "another content" too

we call it "addons"

mods are "effects, gameplay , AI behavior, menu, actions + maybe new content"

by "addon" we mean "new rifle, new soldier, new tank but not changing AI behaviour or game engine effects etc. "

addons are compatible with game

some praised mods screw compatibility of addons with game and make errors (for example some rifles are wrongly held cause someone changed DEFAULT anim to another or changed name of DEFAULT selection and than addons may not work as good as with default game)

Edited by vilas

My advice is to play ArmA2/CO without mods for a good while, then when you identify shortcomings or stuff you don't like, go looking for that mod :)

Agree this this but would chuck a sound mod in there straight away,it don't have change the game. :D

Or, if you don't really find anything you dislike enough to worry about, just look for interesting sounding mods. Each person has their own idea of what is interesting, I like the behavioral mods that change how the AI act & react.

Good advice.