Sign in to follow this  
Honeycutt

not impressed with ARMA2 campaign so far

So I have played up to the Badlands mission (which I know is near the end) and so far have not been impressed with the red harvest campaign (High commander is going to be a pain in the ass). Don't get me wrong the ARMA2 world is packed with stuff but the campaign has only showed a very limited glimpse of this. Its almost like BIS designed an awesome world but did not do it justice in the campaign.

I thought it was going to showcase the full might of the US Marines instead its got 4 force recon marines with no support, under equipped literally lost in the woods looking for war crime evidence and why would I take enjoyment commanding a crap NAPA company? I mean this is Special Forces territory.

Can anyone suggest a user mission/mod that does ARMA2 justice with realistic military objectives and the equipment/support to complete that objective?

OFP had better objectives and thats way back. Man I hope eagle wing/OA is better.

Harvest Red is the most realistic campaign in terms of Special Forces stuff (minus probably the high command stuff, though I wouldn't doubt it if they would lead friendly guerillas), Special Forces don't just gun down millions of insurgents day by day.

Either way, good special forces campaigns are Sick1's 1 SFOD-D campaign and SEAL campaigns.

HR is fairly authentic when it comes to SF ops. they are always out there doing thier own thing (METT-TC dependent). i liked how it did exactly opposite of what you said (showcase USMC), and instead showed off the locals. its their war, not the USMCs.

i really liked HR up until the warfare missions. HR is alot deeper, and has more in it than you might have seen or noticed. but what ever, if you didn't like it, so be it.

Can anyone suggest a user mission/mod that does ARMA2 justice with realistic military objectives and the equipment/support to complete that objective?

Operation Arrowhead will be more to your taste, although it is shorter - as it is an expansion. It has more of a combined arms feel to it.

If you don't like the subtley of Harvest Red, I sincerely doubt you will take well to Eagle Wing. It is more of a concept campaign, and was released in a patch for free.

BAF will offer gameplay that is more striaghtforward than ARMA2, and action packed - You take on the role of paratroopers, not SF; however, it will focus upon asymetric warfare, which it doesn't sound like your interested in.

OFP had better objectives and thats way back. Man I hope eagle wing/OA is better.

Eagle Wing é cool, very atmospheric but short. 1-2 hours max. Just one "big" mission.

OA is more a showcase campaign, also short. Not like CWC....

At first I thought HR was boring, then it got better and then came the HC missions. The fisrt one was kind of okay, but the last... :(

i thought hr was good was pretty realistic imo one of sfs jobs irl is to train local forces and lead them in raids etc so ya... no idea what your talking about oa campaign blows imo it feels like im playing bf or cod there levels instead of like how hr was put together objectives in a ao and your choice in which objectives to complete first and how you want to do them and believable tasks i havent made it past the convoy mission in oa just quit playing it

One thing that defo got excited about OFP, ARMA2 (never tried ARMA1) is the vastness of the whole thing, mil-sim gameplay and (according to ARMA2 packaging): "Master over 70 authentically modelled weapons and 100 vehicles" - can't say I have come across all weapons and vehicles so far.

Perhaps BIS should get input from the actual military on building some realistic missions. The game engine/world seems more than capable.

One thing I said before about special forces objectives is that they should be carried out by "Special Forces" (i.e United States Army Special Forces) not Force Recon. Force Recon although an elite part of the US Marines are just a small part, what about Recon Marines, hell even just regular Marines. ARMA2 appeared like it was going to show off the entire air/land/sea USMC. Now being able to play different units in the Marines would have been awesome -even in the same mission.

I will check out those suggestions -Thanks. Not really interested in ultra difficult type missions which might as well be suicide missions (just ain't realistic - anybody seen the A-Team movie?).

Has anybody heard of these "RobertHammer" missions?

Better get over to armaholic and take a look

Edited by Honeycutt

download Bardosy's campaigns. There is some high command in there, but toward the end. The invasion mission alone is just cool ...

Perhaps BIS should get input from the actual military on building some realistic missions. The game engine/world seems more than capable.

Why should Harvest Red be not realistic.

One thing I said before about special forces objectives is that they should be carried out by "Special Forces" (i.e United States Army Special Forces) not Force Recon. Force Recon although an elite part of the US Marines are just a small part, what about Recon Marines, hell even just regular Marines. ARMA2 appeared like it was going to show off the entire air/land/sea USMC. Now being able to play different units in the Marines would have been awesome -even in the same mission.

Force Recon is still "special forces" just because they're not in the Army. The army only has 3 special forces; Delta Force, Rangers, and Green Berets. The real US military has much more: Force Recon, USAF CSAR, Navy SEALs, and there's much more.

You ask for a "grunt" game but this would be challenging considering you have to be the same character. Cooper couldn't wake up one day as FR then the next day be a PFC in the marines. Besides, arma 2 was originally a marine game, with Army only being added later in OA. Why would you ask them to include army? They could, but you're kind of missing the point here.

I liked Harvest Red all the way up until the last two Warfare missions. I found it realistic and no where near as over-the-top as most games make special forces out to be. The missions also worked near-flawlessly for me, which seems to be a rareity for some reason.

I like the HR Campaign. It was kind of to short for me, but the missions were cool.

I have to say that every Campaign till yet was awsome (Also if the best campaigns were in OFP^^). The only campaign I disliked was in ArmA 1 where the first mission is at night on the beach. I was never sneaky enough :(

in ArmA 1 where the first mission is at night on the beach

Yes, Ramadi Conflict. Never been stealthy enough as well.

I think ArmA2 isnt sort of... "meant" to be played like other games. Its most glorious areas are its awesome modding community and the mission editor. Enjoy :)

That mission actually worked best if you did everything but being sneaky. :p

I liked Harvest Red aside from the warfare stuff. As others have said, check out some of the user campaigns here; there's dozens of them and you're bound to find one that suits you!

There was maybe only one or two missions I enjoyed in ArmA2, but with OA that changed. The missions are still not up to OFP-Resistance quality but a step back .. back into the right direction.

By the way - what's about the CWR (Cold War Rearmed)?

Didn't they convert also the OFP campaign for ArmA 1? Or was it another Mod? Will they do it also for ArmA 2? Have to play the campaign again :)

One thing that defo got excited about OFP, ARMA2 (never tried ARMA1) is the vastness of the whole thing, mil-sim gameplay and (according to ARMA2 packaging): "Master over 70 authentically modelled weapons and 100 vehicles" - can't say I have come across all weapons and vehicles so far.

That's because the main appeal that draws many people to the game is the editor, which allows you to use whatever you wish to create scenarios of your own.

And yes, Force Recon is special forces. Saying the Army is the only branch with Special Forces worth mentioning is wrong, and what about Navy Seals, one of the US's best special forces groups? They aren't called the Navy Seals because it sounds better than Army Seals. :rolleyes:

I having but repect for all the armed forces including special force branches.

When I was talking about US Army Special Forces and US Marine Force Recon I was giving my opinion that the Army Special Forces would be carrying out the actions of Team Razor (whether wrongly or rightly). I am not saying MFR are not considered special forces (jeez you need some balls to go on their deep deep deep recon missons).

As ARMA2 is based on the Marines it would have been nice in ARMA2 to play the part of multiple branches of the US Marines not just Force Recon.

During training when you partake in drving Abrams tanks, piloting venon hueys, huey cobras, firing SMAW (I think SMAW was included) I'm thinking cool but I figured would be doing that stuff third or forth mission in.

As people have said, the ARMA2/OA modding community is second to none!

There is a difference between SF and SOF. Though more and more (to the displeasure of some witin US Army Green Berets) they are becoming closer and closer alike. With all doing FID type work. SEALs, Delta, Rangers, MARSOC are all SOF......GBs are SF.

Still, SOF is more DA with FID as a secondary. Whereas Army SF is more about FID with DA as its secondary.

Of course you than have the Tier one Operators of DevGru and Delta. Which are almost completely DA.