Sign in to follow this  
Bulldog72

Please explain MAAWS optical sight to me...

hey i just played around with the MAAWS in the armory, i guess 1 - 5 is kilometers, so each step is a 1000 meters.

hey i just played around with the MAAWS in the armory, i guess 1 - 5 is kilometers, so each step is a 1000 meters.

LoL, sorry, but 5km?

If you can make a hit further than modern tanks with computers can then youre good!

Its range 100m - 500m, but to me its seems its more for show.

It seems of. The lines on the sides with the small taps on are for driving targets. Slow, medium fast.

However I would love to get airburst ammo for the 84mm.

Then you have to take into account what color scale the scoop is on and if you want direct fire or indirect and.... never mind. :)

Same ridiculousness with the SMAW. No problems hitting a stationary tank at 2km. For a weapon with maximum range of 500m, that is pretty good :(

Im not sure, but in Arma OA the rockets are not affected too much by gravity. Maybe with ACE2 you can see it

Yeah, many OA anti tank weapons are messed up. The RPG-7 is supposed to fly very "flat" for a certain portion of its range due to aero on the projectile itself.

AT-4 on the other hand should not fly flat at all. Pop-bang and pretty parabolic in arc.

I don't know why BIS goes to such great lengths to get non-ballistic behavior that makes zero realism sense.

Agreed that the MAAWS is to easy. Only just yesterday I took out some tanks from 1.7 Km away, easy 1 shot and direct hit. And for targeting I always use the 2nd cross from above in the scope does not matter if its 300 meters or 2Km, its a sure hit.

Its simple, there is nothing to explain because BIS has no Rocket/RPG Trajectory modeled/simulated in their simulation-engine so the sights will remain off forever.

Use ACE2 to solve that and dozens of other strange limitations in Arma2.

the ranges in real life are 100-500m

unfortunaly the range isnt calculated right in oa

i might be making new carl gustav/maaws rounds, i could look into it

the ranges in real life are 100-500m

unfortunaly the range isnt calculated right in oa

i might be making new carl gustav/maaws rounds, i could look into it

Save your time, ACE already fixes this, unless you really want to make a non-ACE-dependent fix.

Save your time, ACE already fixes this, unless you really want to make a non-ACE-dependent fix.

ACE is not the answer to everything. :rolleyes: Non-ACE content, or I should say, ArmA2 content, is always appreciated.

the M3 MAAWS has not bullet rop [ballistics] acting on the rocket

No matter wad distance, the rocket will hit the 3rd Bar from the top

ACE is the answer to everything that was done/fixed by ACE, though ;)

It would be great to get a single OA script (dream on) or a mod that addressed just ballistics and optic sights. That would rock. :)

I really miss the ACE2 SMAW, for me that had perfect accuracy, gravity, dispersion, weapon sway, sound, the works.

Edited by Mandrake5

What do the numbers (2-5) in the optical sight mean?

They are totally meaningless as MAAWS projectile flies like a laser.

Edited by akd42

Its simple, there is nothing to explain because BIS has no Rocket/RPG Trajectory modeled/simulated in their simulation-engine so the sights will remain off forever.

Use ACE2 to solve that and dozens of other strange limitations in Arma2.

Actually, in OFPR the LAW had a noticable parabolic arc, and IIRC in ArmA1 the rpg and at4 had similar gravity-effected characteristics, so the physics are there and available in the engine, but it just doesn't seem to be applied to the modern rockets (or with enough of a noticable effect at least)

A minor nit - the M3 MAAWS is a recoilless rifle. The ammo is an artillery shell, not a rocket.

A minor nit - the M3 MAAWS is a recoilless rifle. The ammo is an artillery shell, not a rocket.

its a 551 shell

just looks like an artillery shell ;)

True - there are the FFV551/FFV651 rounds which have rocket-assist. Good point. FPDR

The simulation used would have to depend on ammo loaded. RAP rounds naturally would use the rocket sim, other stuff the artillery shell sim.

Anyway - you folks are correct - the config for the ammo needs more work so that the trajectory is more realistic.