Sign in to follow this  
laggy

Wanted Command: AI, KEEP MOVING AT ALL COSTS...

As amazing as the AI really is in ArmA2 I have found a really annoying thing.

Let's say your infantry group (which you are leading) all of a sudden is attacked by tanks, you have no AT weapons and don't stand a chance.

When I as a human player start retreating rapidly with the main objective of getting the hell out of there, the AI doesn't change behaviour.

They keep covering each other and retreating way to slow for a successful escape. They always die.

I would like to see a move command that can override ALL the AI functions except fleeing/courage.

In a situation where you realize that if you don't escape rapidly, you will die, anyone who is not in panic will prioritize MOVING AT ALL COSTS.

I really hope this change is possible and taken seriously, because it is an irrational AI behaviour that really kills immersion and realism.

Laggy

Edited by laggy

Yeah we need a rapid retreat or move command! Covering each other when enemy tanks are coming towards you is suicide! you need to get the hell out of there quick!

the single most annoying thing with A.I for me is there inability to keep up whether they be on foot or in vehicles.

Thats a old and good request but BIS didnt like or refuse to make the command "disengage" and "copy my stance" functional either. Its like BIS doesnt test and play much with default AIs.

Or BIS are using another and inofficial "HQ AI" thats fully different to those in A2 + OA....

The AI led squads need this as well. If they see and recognize a threat that they have no chance to counter, they should get the hell out of there by default. This would create not only a more "human like" response in that the AI want to live -but would also open up more strategic venues in that you could really rout enemies out an area rather then them scrambling around looking for a lampost for cover.

this makes absolute sense. more human seeming/reacting AI please.

Yes. Signed emphatically.

I seriously doubt there is a military force on the planet that trains its troops to hold position and get killed when attacked by an enemy they have no effective countermeasure for... If that country does exist then I suspect their military are all conscripts as it would be hard to get anyone to enlist voluntarily.

"Join the army, help us stand in front of enemy tanks" I don't think that would be very effective as a recuiting slogan.

This would be great for some of the missions I'm creating!

You may easily script such a behaviour though. You need to give your single units doMove commands, and they will run for sure, no matter what. Just do something once they are there (unitReady), maybe a doStop or yet another doMove... and don't make them all doMove to the same position. A little position randomization should do the trick.

But yes, we need something like this available in the user/comanding interface for sure.