Sign in to follow this  
Sosna

Night Vision Improvement

First, I'd like to say it's nice that the devs implemented different devices within the game - 2 seen so far. It would be interesting if resistance forces received older gen soviet devices, giving them motivation to "upgrade"...

My main nitpick with the NVG devices is that currently the circular overlay remains the same size while the camera (eye) field of view changes. It should, however, increase in size with zooming in, and decrease with zooming out.

This is essentially the same issue as zooming with scopes, that others have mentioned - in those cases the scope overlay (and mildots!) should increase in size as the view zooms in. (except in the case where the actual magnification level of the scope device is being changed)

See this video for an illustration of how it should be:

Also note that as the camera zooms into the NVG display, the image becomes grainier due to the fixed resolution of the device. It begins to look much like OFP's NVG actually. Would be excellent if this effect was in ArmA II.

Also, currently there seems to be a lack of contrast between light sources and the surroundings. In all footage I've seen close/intense light sources appear white (or very close), in ArmA it only gets up to a certain shade of green.

ArmA II currently: http://www.pcgames.de/screenshots/original/2009/04/ArmA2_01.jpg

video:

Anyways, keep up the good work BIS :)

The view circle not scaling doesn't really kill it for me. That the NVG can't be zoomed in the config, does. Imagine the NVG addons we could have if that was possible. I.e. a mission could have NVGs with built in fixed zoom that was not so convenient to use as those we have today. Driving is ok, but fighting with zoom could be a problem.

As for mil dot scopes, as long as I can use the dots for ranging at one of the zooms (zoomed in), I'm happy with it. Variable zoom is worse to me than reticle not changing size. Also, I think reticle changing size or not depends on which end of the scope it is placed.

One thing also is that ArmA's NVGs are way too good on all weathers. At least my experiences and others i've read and discussed with are that they easily are not that good at all. Reason? Not enough background lighting: no towns/cities in vicinity with street lamps, no moon, clouds. Picture gets murky and it's hard to tell what you see: "Is that sky?" *Smack!* "No... it's was branch of fir". *I will go at that small bush* *Bang!* "No... It was enemy combatant remaining still... And i have hole in my chest. MEDIC!"

My impression from OFP was that NVGs in OFP were much more close to less optimal conditions than ArmA's. Surely newer NVGs are better (i think those which i used were 2nd or 3rd generation so they aren't THAT old), but tests i've read about those still state that it can get dangerous to rely on them.

Speaking of nightvision, do anyone know why it is black/green on some Arma 2 screens and almost black/white on others?

I believe it's because of different gear (US/russian one ?), and if not, then it's post-processing... I place my bet on first answer :)

Yeah... that's strange...

I've thought about this when first preview came out...

Anyway... It could be mode for NV. I mean you can change different modes there or sth... maybe even thermal WIP idk ;)

It probably has to do with tuning the game, changing stuff over time, etc.

It might simulate the effect when you use your NV goggles when it's quite not dark enough. You know, the last daylight making the vision more faded. Just a guess.

If at least you would need to carry batteries for them, and that batteries would eventually die. Or at least that they would (with 'internal' batteries) only last for so long. Would make you think twice about always using them. However, I'm guessing that we again won't be seeing illumination support from artillery and mortars, only the 'bang type support'.

For practical limitations on the NVGs, just watch the HBO series 'Generation Kill', which attempts to draw a pretty authentic image on most things shown.

I just want it to bloody work. I have forever had this bug with ArmA where while using night vision it will randomly not draw the green circle field of view on my screen. I can still see my hud and everything but nothing else (so my screen will flicker black for 5-10 seconds at a time then back). It only happens when using NVG's and is pretty damn game breaking.

Seeing Dslyecxi's TIR5/A2 demo video, it seems that the contrast has been improved - the rocket flash and explosion look very good.

The "field of view" issue is still there, however. While it isn't that big a problem visually, it is still technically very wrong. Currently, by keeping the overlay the same size, ArmA is telling us that the FOV of the night vision device varies as we zoom in/out - in actuality only the FOV of the camera (eye) should be changing.