Sign in to follow this  
isrkomandosh13

Admin must read this great idea...

Hello,

sorry for my bad english.

I have an idea for arma 2 that will change the game

My idea:

I dont know if you know a game called Company of Heroes,there a relic online login,rank,friends request etc...,so i would like to see in arma 2 an arma 2 login online,also i wish to add the ability to make friends request,a chatroom invite friends to play on your server,and most important,RANK,each profil got his own rank,you get points,you are promoted to superior rank etc... the game will be more fun/easy to play.

Edit: ALSO no need dvd anymore for play once you created an arma 2 online account with your key

Edit 2 : HOT : Ability to form squad with friends in your list,form team no matter your server or team forever up i delete it in the main home screen of arma 2

Edited by isrkomandosh13

In general:

- I'd prefer to have my buddies in x-fire and/or steam. That way I can keep track on them no matter what games we play for the time beeing. you can create clans/teams/groups in both.

- I see no good in persistent achievement/rank system. Lately online gaming has gone from teamwork where the team winning the round (or other social aspect) was the most important, to casual gaming where most people only play to boost his/hers rank/perks/achviements.

Would require BIS to run a central server for loggin on, requiring some siginificant infrastructure. Something tells me this ain't gonna happen.

Edited by MadDogX

you doesnot understand my idea,i mean a TRUE Online arma comunity ALIVE INGAME,

e.g:you are playing on a server,your friends just onnected,you invite him to join your game/squad,also a chatroom tab on arma 2 server screen,play without dvd when you log in,and this is for Steam/NON-steam players,and the comunity will live,the game now look like "dead" you just click on multiplayer select a server to play ?! NO !

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

OK even if need BIS for central server,need also BIS for make friends request etc... and a chatroom?

you dont understand that Arma is continuation of OFP game from 2001

if you think that this community is like other games, than you mistaken

this community keeps since at least 6 years no matter what we say something and how we argue

OFP is something unique, as i see your join date, you not OFP player from 2001/2002 ?

no need to change anything except more realism :] fansites , clans etc. organize themselves , teamspeaks etc.

OFP, Arma will never be dead, never, it will hold till the end of the world and one day more

It seems both people who replied are fully aware of what you are saying, but for BIS to concentrate on letting the community live within the game, rather than the forums we have here, would take their time and effort and cash, which would end up neglecting the games they produce in the long run.

It is a good idea, but xfire is a messenger service for nerdy gamers, It tells you whos online, it tells you what they are doing apart from watching a bit of frankie

ok i understand but ask BIS for thisi idea,and also you need BIS for IN-game friends Request,chatroom?

Lol online ranks are way overhyped. And even if, why should i get points? And for what? Extra content? Sorta like 'Sorry you can't finish the SP campaign, you're lacking the rank to fly helicopters'. haha :D

ok i understand but ask BIS for thisi idea,and also you need BIS for IN-game friends Request,chatroom?

Well, obviously they would need to code all that functionality in...

ok but take care on this idea for the next patch/arma

Next ARMA more likely, if it happens at all. Not that I'm generally opposed to the idea, I just don't see it happening.

Although I do believe any kind of central server type stuff should kept optional. I.e. there is general public multiplayer as we have it now, and then there is the option to log on to BINet, or whatever they would call it, and then you can see anyone else who is logged on, see BINet game servers etc. Much like a system with "official" and "unofficial" servers.

This way, if the central server is unavailable, people can still play.

you dont understand that Arma is continuation of OFP game from 2001

With all due respect ArmA needs to graduate and move beyond the OFP community. Sometimes the past holds you back, and change is good.

That said I don't fully comprehend what the OP is suggesting, perhaps because I never played Company of Heroes or whatever. It sounded like some sort of glorified system to help you hook up with your friends and find/join games.

I do think that some sort of better game launcher that allows you to match up with people and find the kinds of games you want, with the people you want to play with, would be good.

Especially since it seems a lot of people complain they can't find the kind of game they want to play, seems like there's tons of people all complaining that they can't find the game they are looking for, seems like they all sit there offline disconnected grumbling when if they could find one another they could be playing. The current system doesn't allow them to do that, it only allows you to see games currently in session, it doesn't allow you to find your friends, or propose games not already running.

Edited by Polar Bear

The day ArmA (or it's sequel one fine day) includes ranking is the i day i (and probably others aswell) quit playing ArmA 2.

If you're that keen of ranking play Evolution or Domination or play CoD/BF/MoH/whatever.

Myke;1728316']The day ArmA (or it's sequel one fine day) includes ranking is the i day i (and probably others aswell) quit playing ArmA 2.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Evolution already has a ranking system. Play that if you want one, otherwise I like being able to control ranks via the mission editor.

Myke;1728316']The day ArmA (or it's sequel one fine day) includes ranking is the i day i (and probably others aswell) quit playing ArmA 2.

If you're that keen of ranking play Evolution or Domination or play CoD/BF/MoH/whatever.

+1111111.

Also, that's a really good thread name, isrkomandosh13.

NOT.

Having online account and logging in every time is not a good idea imho. In fact its a terrible idea. Then you would get messages like "main server is currently unavailable, please try later or go f yourself". I flip when steam gives me that in CoD.

Persistent ranks and stats simply don't work in this kind of game. There are so many different missions that points are not comparable between them. You could even make a farming mission where the player bombs hundreds of respawning AI in a plane with unlimited ammo.

Relic Online is pretty terrible IMO. It very often just doesn't work, which is probably why Relic abandoned it and opted for GFWL for DOW2.

OFP, Arma will never be dead, never, it will hold till the end of the world and one day more

Amen!

With all due respect ArmA needs to graduate and move beyond the OFP community. Sometimes the past holds you back, and change is good.

do you think that Metallica should quit guitars and play like Britney Spears ???

never

That said I don't fully comprehend what the OP is suggesting, perhaps because I never played Company of Heroes or whatever. It sounded like some sort of glorified system to help you hook up with your friends and find/join games.

join clan, have teamspeak or icq

this is not game for 13 years old , this is game that grown from military roots , which allows by addons to have anything since ancient knights to star troopers

this is only military simulator-wanna be in the world and let it stay the same and keep OFP roots

I do think that some sort of better game launcher that allows you to match up with people and find the kinds of games you want, with the people you want to play with, would be good.

why the hell all young gamers want to turn all into CoD/CS/GR etc. ???

i dont want all bands in the world to play like Maddona or Britney or Shakira

Especially since it seems a lot of people complain they can't find the kind of game they want to play,

people or 10 years old boys ??? who never satisfied cause expect another CoD

do mission, you have mission editor, you can do your own mission in whatever style you want

in OFP time i played with friends in civili missions, bus driver , search for vodka bottle in forest etc.

everything can be made: game + addons + editor

i see people complaying about lack of something, while they even not spend some time in search engine to find addon which is released, but many newbies moan that they want "rifle A, rifle B, rifle C" etc.

Arma, OFP is for creative people

Arma is like LEGO, you have hands, brain, you can build of it castle or house or bunker - it depends of you

in OFP we even had dinosaurs and rambo and lego and mad cow

if someone born yesterday thinks that arma is another cod, he is mistaken, if he thinks that this community is like others

we are really here since many years and probably will be here too in 10 years too (with children and wives)

Edited by vilas

In my experience, global ranking brings out the worst in on-line gaming. Teamwork levels drop, a vast majority become obsessed on getting that next rank, medal, whatever. Which leads to the "whatever it takes" mindset and then rampant cheating.

If someone want to make a mod to support some stats, fine. Don't make it an integral part of A2.

AFAIK wouldnt much have to be rewritten and such to allow for a non exploitable ranking system within the game?

As of now(with the proposed ranking system) i could just make myself a mission where i score gazillions of points by killing rabbits, host it just for myself and become the top l33t über ninja of the Arma2 multiplayer scene.

But anyways, my opinion is that the Arma series is just not "that kind of game"...

do you think that Metallica should quit guitars and play like Britney Spears ???

No, but I highly recommend moving into the 21st century both for heavy guitar music and for gaming!

OFP, Metallica = Nostalgia.

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

join clan, have teamspeak or icq

If that's a solution why do I see so many forum posts from people saying they can't find the kind of game they like to play online? They're complaining that the pubs only run XYZ games, etc., and it seems like there are a lot of people looking for the same thing.

Sounds like "join a clan, have teamspeak or icq" has failed as a solution for many people. I don't mean to debate this--it's just an observation.

There are generally only a few hundred people online playing ArmA at any given time from what I can see, yet the volume of posts in the forum indicates there's far more interest than that.

Seems like there is a problem, and it is in need of a solution. I don't know whether the OP's suggestion is a good approach, but SOME solution needs to be implemented, whether it's that one, or something radically different, to help people find each other online.

whats wrong with using a server browser to find games you want to play? and theres always the in game VOIP or squad forums/TS/vent to meet people, its really no harder than signing up to any kind of official BI online community.

online ranks just wont work in a game like this, it might work in the regurgitated FPS games kids play, but in ArmA it's just not practical, like someone else said, whats to stop kids making a mission purely for stat padding? or if you want BI to come up with a solution, how do you expect them to come up with a scoring system for every online mission thats made?

the only answer i can see is if BI officially support some of the popular missions (BE warfare etc) even then i think its a terrible idea that will only reward people that exploit the game for a high rank.

i really like the way this game requires some individual effort to become involved in the various communites, i would hate to see it dumbed down to the level of games like battlefield etc.

whats wrong with using a server browser to find games you want to play?

The comment elsewhere on a different thread was that there are people who are looking for a particular sort of game and all the servers in server browser are currently empty. Since some of these games take a long time to play no-one wants to sign in and play with bots for half an hour out of the vain hope that someone else will join them.

The effect is you have enough people to form a viable game all staring at server browser and deciding that it isn't worthwhile. If those people could somehow connect with one another we would see more people playing online and no doubt that increase the popularity (and the fun) of ArmA.

In other words you need something like server browser that not only shows the current games people are playing, but also what people who aren't currently playing want to play.

That way you could sign into your computer, register that you are interested in a certain sort of game, and within a short period of time the system would find enough other people with the same interest that it would be worhwhile starting up a game.

There are a lot of logistics and problems to solve here I am sure you can enumerate some of them, but please understand the point--if those challenges can be overcome I think we would see MANY more people online.

and theres always the in game VOIP or squad forums/TS/vent to meet people, its really no harder than signing up to any kind of official BI online community.

However those solutions only connect you with people you already have a relationship with. It doesn't help you find that there are 10 other people online right now all interested in the same sort of game you are none of whom you've previously met.