gimpymoo

ARMA2 & OA's Steam Thread: All Steam Q's/discussions go here [covered by Dwarden]

i'm going check with someone from Valve if the STEAM.exe executing STEAM.exe is 'safe'

atm. i warn YOU DO NOT USE THIS METHOD WITH ENABLED ANTIVIRUS :)

Oh? Why is that?

I hope it is 'safe' or if not that there is another way to do it.

Oh Dwarden, the .pdf manual, is that included with the game files or will it be a separate download? The FAQ implies it will be separate but as yet there is no option that I have seen. Thx

NVM I think I've found it by scrolling down the right side of the Steam Store page. Thx

Edited by anfiach

Oh? Why is that?

I hope it is 'safe' or if not that there is another way to do it.

i got BSOD (namely with Avast it's kernel driver dislike such method of execution)

i will contact Alwil (i got contacts on some of theris staff) to see what's the problem

that's why i say it's possible , it should work but there may be some problems...

so preferably just use multiple windows shortcuts ....

---------- Post added at 21:27 ---------- Previous post was at 21:25 ----------

Oh Dwarden, the .pdf manual, is that included with the game files or will it be a separate download? The FAQ implies it will be separate but as yet there is no option that I have seen. Thx

NVM I think I've found it by scrolling down the right side of the Steam Store page. Thx

http://store.steampowered.com/app/33900/

a right bottom is URL to manual http://store.steampowered.com/manual/33900/

:)

i got BSOD (namely with Avast it's kernel driver dislike such method of execution)

Well I must admit that is slightly concerning, but I hope you can get it sorted with Valve/etc...

You can also right-click on the ARMA2 game in your steam "my games list" and choose "view player manual." (which works for almost any steam game afaik). This opens the pdf file in your web browser, then you can just save it from there to your hard drive.

You can also right-click on the ARMA2 game in your steam "my games list" and choose "view player manual." (which works for almost any steam game afaik). This opens the pdf file in your web browser, then you can just save it from there to your hard drive.

Thanksfor the tip. Hmm Idon't have that option for other Steam games I have so this is a first. :)

Thanksfor the tip. Hmm Idon't have that option for other Steam games I have so this is a first. :)

When this is through I think we'll all have a better knowledge of the inner workings of Steam! ;)

EDIT: CLOSE THREAD.

I overreacted... but Christ why the hell must this happen. I will never buy steam products again.

[imghttp://img514.imageshack.us/img514/3429/thing.jpg[/img]

Edited by Placebo

I've passed on the link to Dwarden.

After the integrity check. A restart of steam and my PC. The game has made it to the main menu. Thanks. I hope this is let known to others.. I was absolutely ravid about what just happened.

I'll be checking other steam threads in the near future about modded files, mod folders, addons, etc. Assuming steam wont detect them as "corrupt data".

Is the Steam download of the retail game the latest 1.02 build that was released today or is it the old 1.02??? I am dlding my Arma 2 right now yeeeehayyyy

So I just got finished downloading the full game via Steam and when I go to start it, It gives me a pop up message saying..

"Bad Serial Number Given in Setup"

What is this about? and how do you fix it?

it's newer than RETAIL ! DO NOT USE RETAIL PATCHES @ STEAM VERSION !

Now that the steam version is out, I'm going to reask all my questions hoping that someone can answer them...

-Is there spyware, does the game spy on your activities? Does the game leave its data directories and its own memory?

-Is there any software that detects "unauthorized" applications to prevent the game from running? (such as iso mounting programs)

-Is there DRM and if so what type?

-If DRM/Spyware is included, why is it included even when it will be cracked within a few days if it is not already cracked and removed?

-How does that "FADE" system detect an "unauthorized" copy, does it scan your computer?

Not really a question - just venting anger about steam....

First of all, I love how the game is released to steam a week+ prior to the boxed set (...sarcasm!) and then I love how Steam not only makes the game available late in the day but provides the game to me at a dl rate limited to 360 kB/s. More like a release date of the 27th... :mad:

Now that the steam version is out, I'm going to reask all my questions hoping that someone can answer them...

-Is there spyware, does the game spy on your activities? Does the game leave its data directories and its own memory?

-Is there any software that detects "unauthorized" applications to prevent the game from running? (such as iso mounting programs)

-Is there DRM and if so what type?

-If DRM/Spyware is included, why is it included even when it will be cracked within a few days if it is not already cracked and removed?

-How does that "FADE" system detect an "unauthorized" copy, does it scan your computer?

razematt :

there is no spyware included otherwise there would be not 20 millions users using it ... it's like say Windows is spyware ...

no unauthorized application detection unless you start to crack/alter STEAM itself

DRM is steam own protection checking if your account have the game and no SECUROM

FADE dont scan your computer

---------- Post added at 02:47 ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 ----------

Not really a question - just venting anger about steam....

First of all, I love how the game is released to steam a week+ prior to the boxed set (...sarcasm!) and then I love how Steam not only makes the game available late in the day but provides the game to me at a dl rate limited to 360 kB/s. More like a release date of the 27th... :mad:

try change in steam settings > downloads to different content server and restart steam

no biggie Victor ... glad to help :) ... if you need some steam help ... bug me

I'm still trying to decide between purchasing on Steam or not (perhaps D2D if not). Unfortunately this has caused me to lean away from a Steam purchase. This, and the question about the multiple shortcuts are the primary reasons why I haven't already purchased it on Steam. Hopefully I can get these issues sorted, cause it would be nice to have this game on Steam, otherwise I'll have no choice but to buy a non-Steam version of ArmA2.

try change in steam settings > downloads to different content server and restart steam

Thanks for trying to help and a good idea. But no go :-/ Tried every server in the US even UK's and they either offered less or the same dl rate. :butbut:

My dld rate is 260k but it is an ISP issue. t minus 6 hours to Arma ;)

I'm still trying to decide between purchasing on Steam or not (perhaps D2D if not). Unfortunately this has caused me to lean away from a Steam purchase. This, and the question about the multiple shortcuts are the primary reasons why I haven't already purchased it on Steam. Hopefully I can get these issues sorted, cause it would be nice to have this game on Steam, otherwise I'll have no choice but to buy a non-Steam version of ArmA2.

double click (Left,Right,Middle mouse buttons) works fine and w/o issue in both demo and full game under STEAM same as w/o STEAM for me ...

so multiple shortcuts fixed :

yes both windows AND steam list

via the add-nonsteam game as steam.exe -applaunch 33910 -nosplash -window -maxmem=2047

* just not recommneded with active AVAST AV atm.

so still see some reason to not buy on STEAM :bounce3:

Wasn't sure where else I should post this, or if it has already been posted somewhere else...but I just barely received my copy through the U.S. Steam and I have no idea where I'm supposed to place these new ArmA 2 addons? If anybody can, could they please point me in the right direction or if this info is in another thread that I may have missed, feel free to post that link. Am I supposed to use that 3 command line workaround or something? Thanks in advance.