Sign in to follow this  
Opticalsnare

Explosion & Smoke Effects MOD

Been working on my little mod which basicly makes all the explosions effects independent from the others so a 57mm Rocket will have a differnt Explosion Effect from a 80mm Rocket and makes the explosions and smoke more realistic. Take note this is still a WIP.

This mod will also work with DMSmoke Mod.

The ones i have been working on and have almost finished are.

20mm AP / HE

25mm AP / HE

30mm AP / HE

30mm A10

AT Rockets

AA Missiles

Hydra Rockets

57mm Rockets

80mm Rockets

GBU Laser Guided Bomb

105mm Shell HE

120mm Shell HE

125mm Shell HE

Tank / Vehicle Explode

JDAM Bombs

Cluster Bombs

Napalm Bomb

Phosphorus Grenade Explosions

Javlin Missile

MOAB

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fX543t_S580

Although the video dont show much of the detail..

Edit: The video above is pretty old now and most of the explosions are much better with better smoke effects and no longer represents the mod. I will make a new video soon but im still pretty busy bee. wink_o.gif

that video was so wicked, man. I can't wait to get my hands on this when its finished for sure. Excellent job thus far. notworthy.gif

well great job man, lookinf FW for ur addon..

keep up the goodwork mate

Just little update im still working on this mod, im not dead. smile_o.gif

Whats updated?

Well ive added extra explosions effects for differnt types bombs and missles..

JDAM Explosion

Cluster Bombs

Napalm Bomb

Phosphorus Explosions

Javlin Explosion

MOAB

Il proberly put this mod together soon for release to get the ball rolling and stuff. Theres still a few things im still tweaking out. yay.gif

Looks great! Now we would need only one more thing; a nice new effect for exploding petrol stations; just like the one in FlashFX for OFP.

Keep it up! thumbs-up.gif

Excellent! Great idea to have separate effects for each ammo type, especially looking forward to seeing how the GBUs turn out. Good to have the smoke linger a while, I reckon. Is it possible to edit the dust effects on vehicles too? It has always irritated me how the tanks kick up huge amounts of dust, that just seems to disappear...

Keep up the good work mate!

Just a quick update. Im now using differnt particle effect textures. Which is alot better than the org arma ones. Basicly arma uses a index of 8 particle textures to use as shown here

Particles.jpg

Basicly the #4 is the like the universal explosion effect used in arma this has been kinda annoying as its mostly been alot of fiddling and farting about with the cfg settings for each explosions. This has been restricting me getting what i want so im doing my own insted of using 8 im gonna be using 64 for each explosion and smoke effect. The only downside to this is that its taking awhile to do and i havnt tested this yet and im hoping all turns out well and the engine will support it,

il let you know how i get on.

Just a quick update. Im now using differnt particle effect textures. Which is alot better than the org arma ones. Basicly arma uses a index of 8 particle textures to use as shown here

Basicly the #4 is the like the universal explosion effect used in arma this has been kinda annoying as its mostly been alot of fiddling and farting about with the cfg settings for each explosions. This has been restricting me getting what i want so im doing my own insted of using 8 im gonna be using 64 for each explosion and smoke effect. The only downside to this is that its taking awhile to do and i havnt tested this yet and im hoping all turns out well and the engine will support it,

il let you know how i get on.

Hey Opticalsnare, you're welcome to de-PBO my addon & have a look around. I did exactly what you're suggesting and made my own animated textures. You can indeed make 64-frame animations & put them in the game smile_o.gif

In fact I got 2x 48 frame anims and 1x 64 frame anim. And there's nothing stopping you going even higher, making 12x12 arrays etc.

ArmAFireball2Array.jpg

Thats great to hear that it supports it. The only thing im a bit stuck on is the .p3d files im not sure how to do them yet but im sure il get to know them. Those textures look great btw ive been using a program called ParticleIllusion its got loads of differnt particles which are animated. Ive been saving them out and putting them into adobe to put them down on a 128x128 grid pretty much like yours above. The explosions are going good so far im not sure how im gonna do the naplam but hopfully we can work something out that looks decent. smile_o.gifthumbs-up.gif

Optical Snare, sound editor for Insurgency?

otherwise, great work.