Sign in to follow this  
xeno

ACE 1.5 Beta (Advanced Combat Environment)

Did he go to his ACE/Store folder to grab the latest userconfig files, and then put his profile name in the .hpp file?

yes Vegeta, his whole set up is identical to mine, apart from.

Mine are boxed copies, his are steam copies.

It seems that a couple of minor technical issues are having major impacts for many users here.

We don't need people being rude to those having grief or treating them as less capable - that just reinforces the negative opinions some have for ACE and does nothing to make the situation better.

What would help....

1. Six-updater support for alternate installation folder(s). ArmA has supported this for some time, though not hardly mentioned or documented until recently. Being able to install mods in the user's folder vs game installation folder would solve a number of problems, including the Win7/Vista virtual folder issue as well as OA-related head-aches.

2. Concider new module names. There is no reason to continue to use the same names ( ACE, ACEX, etc ) for a product that does not work with vanilla A2 anymore. Having distinct product names for A2 and OA/OACA would clear up a lot of confusion.

3. Better instructions. Enough people have reported problems or complained about the current instructions that one can conclude it needs improvement. I know many people hate writing, but at least the installation instructions have to be current, clear, concise, and simple. Look at the style guides for US field manuals for guidance, very simple language and grammar are specified so that even the most simple-minded soldier can get it.

4. ACE users need to be more cooperative. Help out your fellow users AND the devs more. Find info to help the others and share it here or via video. And please, make sure your facts are current - don't mislead with out-of-date information.

I completely agree with all of these.

Swat54, read the last post in the previous page...

ACE with Arma2 -> ACE 1.3RC1

ACE with OA -> Update to latest ACE 1.5b

If you update to ACE 1.5 and overwrite 1.3RC1, it will not work with ArmA2 properly.

So rename all the ACE2 1.3RC1 folders like ACE->ACE13 ACEX->ACEX13 CBA-> CBA13 etc..

and THEN install the ace1.5 so that if you can play ACE2 with ArmA2 later.

I've setup separate AddonSync repos for ACE1.3RC1 and ACE1.5 (ACE2OA) so that you can sync whichever you want. Click on the link in my sig.

ACE team chose to abandon development for ArmA2 and fully switched to ACE2OA therefore you need to find your own way to play with ACE1.3RC1.

Personally I will install the ACE1.5 stuff into a totally separate folder called ACEOA and run from there.

And what did you do with the configs for ACE (ArmA 2/userconfig) Cross?

I didn't update ACE for OA yet! In our squad are still members without OA.

Getting seperate names/folder for ARMA 2 ACE and OA ACE (incl. CBA) with the SIX Updater Suite would be nice.

Mhh, and what about the configs for ACE (ArmA 2/userconfig)? Should they also have different names?

Getting seperate names/folder for ARMA 2 ACE and OA ACE (incl. CBA) with the SIX Updater Suite would be nice.

This won't happen as there will be no more ACE for A2 only, not now and not in the future.

ACE 1.3 A2 only download packages are available as normal downloads or via KH YAS.

If you want to stick with A2 remove ACE, ACEX, etc, from your presets in SIX Updater.

Solutions are in this thread. How to install ACE, where to get A2 only files, explained multiple times. Even that you have to rename your old folders when you still want to keep the A2 only version (hint, opening post).

On a sidenote... I'm getting more and more tired of this. Specially seeing the same people complain and complain over and over again. Thank you, really, thank you.

Xeno

Edited by Xeno

This won't happen as there will be no more ACE for A2 only, not now and not in the future.

ACE 1.3 A2 only download packages are available as normal downloads or via KH YAS.

If you want to stick with A2 remove ACE, ACEX, etc, from your presets in SIX Updater.

Solutions are in this thread. How to install ACE, where to get A2 only files, explained multiple times. Even that you have to rename your old folders when you still want to keep the A2 only version (hint, opening post).

On a sidenote... I'm getting more and more tired of this. Specially seeing the same people complain and complain over and over again. Thank you, really, thank you.

Xeno

What a rude reply.

I know exactly how to get ACE for ARMA 2, Operation Arrowhead or Combined Operations. I didn't ask for that. I said only "... Getting seperate names/folder for ARMA 2 ACE and OA ACE (incl. CBA) with the SIX Updater Suite would be nice. ..." I think it would be a more user-friendly solution but it's your decision and I will accept it.

I want to use ACE version for Combined Operations and also for ARMA 2 only. So I can also play with squad members the ARMA 2 version. I can rename the folders by my self, but what should I do with the config files? Always copy and paste? Different folder names would be nice.

*Hugs Xeno*

@DragonBaron:

i guess different folders would have been nice indeed, but that didn't happen (reason behind is related to building process from repro, repro management, sick kittens and so on).

More on the point, A2 version of ACE2 is not supported anymore, as has been said numerous times. That means, more or less that OA is a newer engine, supporting more than current 1.07 A2 engine, and ACE2 is moving forward, together with BIS games.

That said, if you want to play with A2 ACE2 (1.3) at some point, you will need to manually do the adjustments.

What a rude reply.

No, it wasn't a rude reply at all.

It was a reply of a Dev of the best and complexiest ArmAx-Mod ever as far as I can judge, but who is (my personal impression) beginning to get sick of it if some of us won't make a step back in demanding, demanding and more demanding. It's all free-time that the Ace-Dev's spent for the community and that should be respected.

Of course you can ask as many questions as you want, it's up to you but you don't have to expect to get an answer to solutions that are placed here or linked to in multiple ways.

Me too, I know that I have already asked something that was already clear and explained in posts/pages/threads earlier or could have been solved on my own ("what ? so easy ? it's a shame I didn't get it myself :o") - I'm very thankful indeed for every good answer I got that helped me, so or so.

This is my first year in this forum and of course - I make "newbie-faults", too, the heaviest ones are not to read enough here, not to search enough here, or just not practicing "try and error"-method (what can go wrong ? worst case is to install whole stuff all over again, but that's no horror at all - and any PC-user should be firm with creating backups).

If anyone of us shows little more initative of one's own (me included ;)) the threads become more lean and they won't inflate as they do at the moment.

And we should take more care about the Dev's and their nerves ...

Edited by langgis08

It was a rude reply. I can expect a friendly answer like pufu did.

I spent many hours (days) with explaining other ARMA 2 gamers how to use the SIX Updater Suite and ACE. It was a pleasure for me and I will continue this, because ACE is a great mod. I respect the work of the team.

End of discussion. Back on topic.

All I'm saying is that after having to do step-by-step explanations for people on how to set up ACE (or other addons), I would really appreciate if I could just send them to a link that not only explains everything but also explains it in a way that they can understand. Otherwise each new guy needs to have some other guy explain to him the stuff that are unclear. And looking at the current fist post and links, I can't say that I can feel OK to just send a guy who doesn't have a clue to this thread and expect to find him with a working ACE version the next day.

All I'm saying is that after having to do step-by-step explanations for people on how to set up ACE (or other addons), I would really appreciate if I could just send them to a link that not only explains everything but also explains it in a way that they can understand. Otherwise each new guy needs to have some other guy explain to him the stuff that are unclear. And looking at the current fist post and links, I can't say that I can feel OK to just send a guy who doesn't have a clue to this thread and expect to find him with a working ACE version the next day.

1.) DL Six Updater Suite

2.) Click on the Six GUI application(set up short cut first)

3.) Select the proper ACE2 preset when the Six Updater Webpage comes up.

3.) Hit Execute.

That's all I did when I just installed ACE2 and A2 + OA on a brand new system.

The end result is that people are having problems and need things explained to them. You can call them "stupid" in that case it only means the explanations need to be appropriate for "stupid" people to understand. The fact is I just can't point someone at a link and realistically expect to see him the next day with ACE working, and that is the main problem that causes all the mess.

I've mentioned it before - What ACE really needs in terms of installation, is some default "click here", "click next", "click next" etc process that ends up with a shortcut on your desktop that runs Arma 2 (or now Operation Arrowhead) with ACE. Then any customization should be done by people who know how to do things more complicated than just hitting "next". When we have that, you'll see you get 1/10 the complaints you get now about ACE installation.

Edited by galzohar

yeah it would be nice to see just a normal download link, which goes straight to our computer in .rar format...

Ive just downloaded Addon Sync 2009 by yoma, but dont how to use it lol I downloaded OA ACE from Yoma Addon Sync repository, and extracted it, but what do i do with those files inside?

Doesn't even have to be a normal download link (as that doesn't make much sense for people who want to keep updating regularly), but something that anyone can use without any computer-knowledge is very much needed. The post above is just another demonstration.

And to answer the above post - You need to either use a launcher or add the parameter -mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_SM to your shortcut (and add @CBA_OA as well if you're running OA standalone).

I have a question and it's NOT related to SIX!: Can anyone tell me if earplugs are working in the current version? I've added my details to the Clientside Config file, but when I get earplugs there is still no option to use them. Considering I mostly play a machine-gunner when I play with my friends, this is kind of important to me.

While I'm at it though, I'd have to agree with other people here, after getting slightly frustrated with SIX, I don't think a web app\terminal should be the primary means of installation for the current releases. An .EXE for the current version or a manaul install perhaps. The SIX updater should be left for beta testers or people who want the current un-stables, perhaps?

Still, thank you for all the work and a fantastic mod. Been playing for hours already :)

Thanks! :D

hey guys can i get rid of this blacking out

for some reason i think blacking out going 250km/h level in an a10 isn't right

at all

hey guys can i get rid of this blacking out

for some reason i think blacking out going 250km/h level in an a10 isn't right

at all

Use a pilot unit.

@galzohar:

1. Stable releases are available via normal download links. Armaholic, armedassault.info etc are mirroring those.

2. No one is forcing anyone to stay up to date with the ongoing developments. It has been said previously that this MOD is gonna be an continous WIP. You can use stable releases easier, if one thinks Yoma or Six is way too hard.

3. Distribution via SixUpdater is very smart as the bandwidth used is way way lower than what it used to be back in the day for ACE1, when my clan (KH) was mirroring patches and full instalments and the bandwidth has skyrocketed (i do remember ppl complaining then as well because the the provided was an installer and not a bunch of archives).

No server is free, and bandwidth needs to be paid by someone. There is a very tiny portion of this community actually spending money with servers around here.

DO remember the following:

1. this mod is free for you to use

2. the tools provided for you to grab this mod are free of charge

3. the servers hosting those files for you don't cost you a penny.

So please, before going around proposing/demanding things to be changed because some pretty simple instructions are hard to follow, read again the above. And if you can find a better solution instead of SIX or Yoma, please make it happen, or help either Yoma or Sickboy with their tools (on which they have spend countless of hours just for YOUR sake), i am sure both would welcome you.

Now please, would you stay on topic. It is the ACE mod, and not the way which it is distributed (which again, has very good reason behind)

This isn't for me. I have no problem figuring out how to use those things. But a lot of people do. While those explanations are clear enough for me to understand, they simply aren't for a lot of other people.

I've already suggested my idea of what a "1 click installer" should do. However I do not really know why such an installer does not exist yet therefore I can't really make any further suggestions. If it's just lack of developer time then there's obviously nothing to do. If it's me not being clear enough, than someone should've said so.

I don't demand anything, and this isn't a rant. This is a suggestion I am making because I know a lot of people would enjoy it directly as well as indirectly (myself included, as I won't need to spend nearly as much time explaining to people how to get ACE up and running).

As for beta patches, the real world experience shows that they are actually easier to use and are also required by most servers running ACE. Direct downloading is not really much easier (and much less bandwidth efficient) than constantly updating to the latest beta and on top of it also won't allow you to join most ACE-running servers. Not to mention the bandwidth saved on both sides, as you said.

I think that rather than pointing people at the "stable release direct download links", it would be much more useful to make the updater easier to use for people who don't understand how everything works. If that is not possible due to time/effort requirements then I fully understand, but please also understand where I and the people who are having difficulty come from.

Again I'm making these suggestions not because I'm having a hard time using ACE, but because I see how many people fail to install it correctly on a regular basis. This actually isn't an ACE-only problem, and a similar solution can actually be applied to any addon with enough effort put into it (which again you may or may not be willing to do).

How hard could it possibly be to press "execute"

Yes. All though it is tedious to take in at first glance, the installation really is as easy as I said above. Honestly. I was pretty pissed about the installation method at first, you can see my bitching in the first ACE2 thread, but after taking a deep breath I found that it was a piece of cake and a pretty damn good delivery method.

Really it's 4 maybe 5 steps and it's pretty much set up for good.

Sorry for keeping the discussion going. I'm done now.

The SIX Updater has come a long way from the early days when it was mostly a manual process. It is fully automatic now and simply requires a couple of selections in the Web-UI interface.

The main thing to remember is not to activate the CBA_OA addon if people are running Combined Operations. Also download and use a good Launcher like SpiritedMachine's Arma II Launcher which takes the guess work out of setting up command-line switches and add-on management using an excellent visual interface.

The main thing to remember is not to activate the CBA_OA addon if people are running Combined Operations.

There are serveral presets easily to distinguish by their name to avoid downloading the wrong version.

The A2OA preset has CBA_OA automatically disabled. :rolleyes:

Im getting an outdated: userconfig/ace/ace_keys even after replacing the files with this step:

Unpack @ACE\store\userconfig.tar

(with WinRAR/7zip/WinZip etc) into your ArmA 2 folder. (End result: ArmA 2\userconfig\ACE\**.hpp)

Is ACE_KEYS_VER = 7; really the right version for the very latest release?

Edited by sparks50

Hey guys. I'm having a really tough time trying to install the ongoing development version of ACE 2. I can't find an up-to-date set of instructions for the newest version of ACE and Six Updater.

Basically I have three options:

A2 OA Any (auto detect) which I think is for Arrow Head,

A2 Standalone,

and

A2 Any (auto Detect)

Which one is it? Ive tried a couple times with ACE/ACEX/CBA/ACE_SM but when trying to connect to a ACE server it tells me that I've got a load of deleted files.

Any help would be much appreciated.

OK so I've been away from Arma for a while and during that time I formatted my system. Last night I re-installed A2 updated to 1.07 and tried to install the latest ACE files but things have changed.

I selected A2 OA by mistake and soon realised that those files don't work with A2 so I restarted Six and selected A.C.E Mod Vanilla but I can't get the files to install. It says "files tagged as disabled" or something like that as well as "Fits Edition? False"

Any help would be great.

Capture-2.png