Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: CO (how to combine ARMA 2 into ARMA 2:OA and use together)

No problems without mods, problems with the command line mods, stuck in arrowhead lauchend windows lots of times.

Using the cmd, with the armaoa.exe option and adding manually the command line mods to the cmd file, and stating it FROM the CO steam link start without problems.

Use a arma 2 launcher in CO mode isnt working 99% of the times, steam protecction sucks.

use

steam.exe" -applaunch 33930 params for game go here

e.g.

steam.exe" -applaunch 33930 "-mod=somemod" -nosplash

which is btw. the exactly same thing as in the latest a2:co batch

redownload the file and take look , it works with mods

if that fails to work then explain what you trying, where you put it, how looks your commandline, post it here so i can take look

and btw. the steam protection is no different in functionality than securom protection in retail / other distributions ... (except it needs running steam client)

Dwarden we... Im not angry with you sir im sorry about that but I can only assume being a tech guy you are one of the programmers? I feel you guys should have anticitpated issues with steam because of the stuff steam put you and steam customers through last time. Alot of use figured this time around you guys would have remedied it by working closer with steam programmers to get the issues ironed out BEFORE charging people money. Its difficult to go to spend money on something you been waiting for only to have a bunch of headaches and feelings of being let down by both companies again. With that being said I want to thank you Dwarden and ALL Armed Assault series games programmers. You guys really make an AMAZING product and really out did yourselves with OA. I am sorry you got the brunt of things Dwarden but its really for BIS not you sir. I am sorry i appreciate you giving your time for helping us... I hope I didnt ruin your day bro.

I just want to know, when will Steam and or BIS give me one directory for my OA and ArmA2 (both were purchased from Steam)? Quick-fix batch files do not make my ArmA2 and OA work, look and operate like the directory from a box version of Combined Operations or a retail ArmA2 + Sprocket version of OA. Yes the batch file solution works, but why should I launch my game through Steam? I never had to do that before with ArmA2. Why should I want to use long dragged out mod lines in the parameter field of my OA executable? I use Yoma for my ArmA2 and mods.

Of all the members in my group, those who purchased the Steam version of OA, ended up with a separate OA directory. Those who purchased the Sprocket version have one directory, with ArmA2 and OA, plus an executable that launches as Combined Operations. This is what I personally expected from Steam, but instead I have a two directory mess.

The one directory approach works best and easiest with Yoma. It would allow me to run Combined Operations, launch from Yoma, and play either new OA COOP missions or ArmA2 ACE2 + mods COOP missions.

What went wrong here? Did Steam screw up or did BIS drop the ball on Steam, in favor of Sprocket? I have nothing against BIS. I just want my ArmA2 and OA to work with one directory correctly. I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking of buying the box version of ArmA2 OA Combined Operations, just to have a properly working ArmA2 + OA Expansion. All so I can once again enjoy playing COOP missions with the mods my group uses.

Please fix this Steam OA situation correctly.

silent_op

This. Please sort this ASAP BI. As it stands now, managing mods and joining modded servers is a nightmare.

This. Please sort this ASAP BI. As it stands now, managing mods and joining modded servers is a nightmare.

multiple fixes related to these issues are worked on ...

...explain what you trying, where you put it, how looks your commandline, post it here so i can take look

Here is a list of examples of the many ways I have tried to run this game, along with the result. Please explain to me what I am doing wrong.

It seems to have something to do with the length of the startup parameters string. If I were to use ACE and ACEX, both in my ArmA 2 directory (using full paths), OA starts fine. If I use ACE, ACEX, ACEX_SM, and ACEX_PLA (all using full paths), the Steam dialog hangs.

When using the beta version of OA, the game runs fine every time. That tells me that it is an issue with Steam/Steam protection, and not a problem with any BIS product.

USING MODS OUTSIDE OF OA DIRECTORY (Full paths required, results in long parameter string)

Operation Arrowhead:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" "-mod=Expansion;c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@acex_pla;c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@cba;c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@ace;c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@acex;c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@acex_sm"
Start In: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead"

Result - Hanging Steam Dialog: "Preparing to launch ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead"

Combined Operations:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" "-mod=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2;Expansion;ca;c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@acex_pla;c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@cba;c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@ace;c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@acex;c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@acex_sm"
Start In: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead"

USING MODS WITHIN OA DIRECTORY

Operation Arrowhead:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" "-mod=Expansion;@cba;@ace;@acex;@acex_sm"

Result - Game starts as expected.

Combined Operations:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" "-mod=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2;Expansion;ca;@cba;@ace;@acex;@acex_sm"

USING NO MODS

Operation Arrowhead:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" "-mod=Expansion"

Combined Operations:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" "-mod=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2;Expansion;ca"

Edited by SpiritedMachine

Ok, the command script included with steam sucessfully launched Arma2 with Operation Arrowhead.

Do I run the command script every time, or do I set up a shortcut with the parameters posted earlier in the thread?

EDIT:

anyway is there anyone with problems to actually run the A2:CO mode?

w/o mods

using the latest batch attached in first post

both steam and nonsteam separate installs

Yes.

The shortcut parameters don't work either. The Combined Arms option in steam launches a dosbox that creates a bunch of messages then closes before it's readable. No game launch.

The command script no longer launches anything. I edited the command script as discussed on page 11 and a couple of other pages. no luck. At best I get an error complaining about steam protections.

Edit:

I reinstalled both Arma2 and OA. Began working again. It seems that after verifying the file cache, you have to run both games again one time before using the command script to set the registry?

Edited by xcorps

Here is a list of examples of the many ways I have tried to run this game, along with the result. Please explain to me what I am doing wrong.

It seems to have something to do with the length of the startup parameters string. If I were to use ACE and ACEX, both in my ArmA 2 directory (using full paths), OA starts fine. If I use ACE, ACEX, ACEX_SM, and ACEX_PLA (all using full paths), the Steam dialog hangs.

When using the beta version of OA, the game runs fine every time. That tells me that it is an issue with Steam/Steam protection, and not a problem with any BIS product.

USING MODS OUTSIDE OF OA DIRECTORY (Full paths required, results in long parameter string)

Operation Arrowhead:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" "-mod=Expansion;c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@acex_pla;c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@cba;c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@ace;c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@acex;c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@acex_sm"

Combined Operations:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" "-mod=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2;Expansion;ca;c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@acex_pla;c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@cba;c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@ace;c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@acex;c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\@acex_sm"

USING MODS WITHIN OA DIRECTORY

Operation Arrowhead:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" "-mod=Expansion;@cba;@ace;@acex;@acex_sm"

Combined Operations:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" "-mod=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2;Expansion;ca;@cba;@ace;@acex;@acex_sm"

USING NO MODS

Operation Arrowhead:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" "-mod=Expansion"

Combined Operations:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" "-mod=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2;Expansion;ca"

Exactly the same as spiritedmachine.

replace part of the commandline

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe"

with this part

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 33930

My head hurts!

Anyway, I cannot get this combo thing to work. But, just to be clear, what is suppose to happen if the combined games do work correctly?

For instance, does my ArmA 2 profile settings automatically work in OA?

Do my ArmA 2 editor made maps show up in OA?

Etc.

And, visa versa?

Someone just enlighten me on this, please.

Edited by CyOp

Just a heads up here for any one else still having issues getting this working, I'm running Windows 7 64Bit and for some reason the reg command wasn't working ('REG' is not recognized as an internal or external command), which is an environment variable/path issue.

Any how, if you're not 100% confident with playing around with system settings, then a quick fix for this is to copy reg.exe from the Windows/System32 folder (Start --> Run --> %SYSTEMROOT%\System32) into the ArmA 2 OA directory.

A proper fix however, is to update the path variable: "Start --> Run --> SYSDM.CPL", click "Advanced", then "Environment Variables...", under the "System Variables" box look for "PATH", click on the "PATH" entry and click "Edit". In the "Variable Value" box add this onto the end of the existing text ";C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32" (without the quotes), if the box is blank just add "C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32" (without the quotes), click the "Ok" button and then you can close the window, that should fix the issue with the reg command not registering.

Edited by Cyborgmatt

My head hurts!

Anyway, I cannot get this combo thing to work. But, just to be clear, what is suppose to happen if the combined games do work correctly?

For instance, does my ArmA 2 profile settings automatically work in OA?

Do my ArmA 2 editor made maps show up in OA?

Etc.

And, visa versa?

Someone just enlighten me on this, please.

OK. I think it is working properly, but I would still like an answer to be sure. - TIA :)

Changing cmd file in :run line to:

H:\juegos\VALVE\STEAM\steam.exe -applaunch 33930 "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;%_ARMA2OAPATH%\EXPANSION;ca" "-winxp" "-nosplash" "-maxmem=2047" "-cpucount=4" "-world=empty" "-exThreads=7" "-mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@GL4;@KICK_UNIDADESv2b;@DUALA;@panthera;@Thirsk;@helmand_avgani;@CAA1;@CAA1_LittleBirds;@ArmA_PlantsAutumn;@Namalsk;@HIFI_MODULES;@TR_MODULES;@zcommon_ace;@eliassound2OA;@ASR_Grenadier"

Running directly from file.

Running from steam 4 option in menu (Co mode)

Dos windows appear and close, hanging steam dialog: "Preparing to launch ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead"

Using the default file with this line.

"%_ARMA2OAPATH%\ARMA2OA.exe" "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;%_ARMA2OAPATH%\EXPANSION;ca" "-winxp" "-nosplash" "-maxmem=2047" "-cpucount=4" "-world=empty" "-exThreads=7" "-mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@GL4;@KICK_UNIDADESv2b;@DUALA;@panthera;@Thirsk;@helmand_avgani;@CAA1;@CAA1_LittleBirds;@ArmA_PlantsAutumn;@Namalsk;@HIFI_MODULES;@TR_MODULES;@zcommon_ace;@eliassound2OA;@ASR_Grenadier"

Running directly with file

Running from steam co mode menu

Dos window stay.

Game runs perfectly with mods loaded.

Edited by zordak

Users who have ArmA2 and Operation Arrowhead off STEAM in 2 different folders and would like to launch Combined Operations through the Yoma Addon Sync tool should try to take a look at this thread

Wow, this is certainly confusing that's for sure.

For now I think I'll just install OA into \ArmA2 - Operation Arrowhead\ and stick to that until I can figure out what to do with o/ArmA2.

Edit: Okay, it automatically puts it into the normal ArmA2 folder.

Edited by LJF

OK. I think it is working properly, but I would still like an answer to be sure. - TIA :)

Single player editor - 5 maps means it is working

Single player missions- 22 missions means it is working. Some will be numbered (01-07). Then 2 benchmarks, then some will be alphanumeric (E-01 - E-08) Then the showcases.

Hey somebdy I know bought OA on steam and already had Arma 2 installed from dvd. annoyingly he cant combine the two and I dont think the method here http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=101214 works in this case. I came up with a simple fix i worked out, which is too copy the Arma 2/Addons folder into a new modfolder insode the OA install ie create

@arma2content inside steamapps/common/Operation arrowhead (or whatever the folder for OA under steam) and copy the default addon folder from Arma 2 inrto there.

You then need to delete UI.pbo and uifonts.pbo otherwise you get a arther fucked up Arma 2 color scheme (with some popups) inside OA.

After this youll get the Arma 2 islands and Arma 2 units into OA like in combined opps with all the same cllasnames so Arma 2 mods should now work in OA!

This is right?

I have the retail versions of Arma2 and AO and I never had to use the command scripts to get Arma2 content working in AO.

1. Installed Arma2, and patched it to 1.07 and I believe I started it to adjust my graphics settings before installing AO.

2. Installed AO, it automatically found my Arma2 folder so it was all good. It skipped the 1.06 patch installation just like it was suppose to. Started up AO and it had all content from Arma2, its single missions and campaigns (a total of 3) and I adjusted the graphics setting for AO.

3. A few days later I installed the first AO patch but also a beta patch and I can launch both just fine and still see all the content from Arma2 when I startup AO.

Whoever did the installers of the retail versions at BIS, I gotta congratulate you, it was simple and easy and worked like a charm. Thank you. :)

the problem for mods lays in simple issue and that's unlucky character @ and long paths to expansion

so fix goes here...

this works nearly perfectly (some servers might show as red ? but most of them is joinable)

for A2:CO on STEAM

"%_STEAMPATH%\steam.exe" -applaunch 33930 "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;EXPANSION;ca"

either add params at end of the line

or add params to the "set launch options" like

-mod=@CBA;@_island1;@namalks;@panthera;@isla_duala

for beta A2:CO

call "%_ARMA2OAPATH%\Expansion\beta\ARMA2OA.exe" "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;EXPANSION;ca" "-mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion" -noplash %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

where as %1 you pass e.g.

"-mod=@CBA;@_island1;@namalks;@panthera;@isla_duala"

all mods dirs must be present in the A2:OA main directory

no more stuck

Edited by Dwarden

Single player editor - 5 maps means it is working

Single player missions- 22 missions means it is working. Some will be numbered (01-07). Then 2 benchmarks, then some will be alphanumeric (E-01 - E-08) Then the showcases.

In the OP, there was is not a description of what (exactly) is suppose to be there after installing both. It just says, basically, "content".

Anyway, after playing around with all the OP instructions, I just quit, backed up, unistalled and wiped, reinstalled, (the way karl76 describes below, which I had already done the first time), and all was good.

I have the retail versions of Arma2 and AO and I never had to use the command scripts to get Arma2 content working in AO.

1. Installed Arma2, and patched it to 1.07 and I believe I started it to adjust my graphics settings before installing AO.

2. Installed AO, it automatically found my Arma2 folder so it was all good. It skipped the 1.06 patch installation just like it was suppose to. Started up AO and it had all content from Arma2, its single missions and campaigns (a total of 3) and I adjusted the graphics setting for AO.

3. A few days later I installed the first AO patch but also a beta patch and I can launch both just fine and still see all the content from Arma2 when I startup AO.

Whoever did the installers of the retail versions at BIS, I gotta congratulate you, it was simple and easy and worked like a charm. Thank you. :)

I think it would be a good idea to describe the combined results in the original post, for clarification.

it's because the retail A2:CO is done differently

STEAM A2:CO is atm. package of two standalone games, pathwise and datawise

it will work it just needs to be tweaked

atm the batch solution is like 99.1% and it will be better after next patch

A question on using DVD version of Arma 2 and Sprocket Arma:OA.

Quiet simply, is it easy to do with this. As I have heard it's bloody hard to get it going with Steam so Sprocket is my only other lazy man option. Does it need all the fiddling like Steam version??

Apologize if this is in the wrong place/

A question on using DVD version of Arma 2 and Sprocket Arma:OA.

Quiet simply, is it easy to do with this. As I have heard it's bloody hard to get it going with Steam so Sprocket is my only other lazy man option. Does it need all the fiddling like Steam version??

Apologize if this is in the wrong place/

None what so ever here!

Have ArmA2 on DvD

Installed OA from sprocket all runs a treat! :yay:

Interesting, in that case, do you need to run a background program, a la Steam. Or not?

Really tempted to use this now, saves a long trip :P

Nah no steam here!

Had Arma2 since release! DvD version

Only few days ago d/loaded OA sprocket version-install and thats it!

Run from OA shortcut!:D