Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: CO (how to combine ARMA 2 into ARMA 2:OA and use together)

ok so having looked at it a bit more closely.

It appears that the CO cmd script includes -mod in the run part of the script

because of this, any mod folders that you've Junctioned in OA, are still not visible when running CO because -mod exists in the CO cmd script.

I can get the mods to load by running the straight OA exe. I can get the game to load in CO, but i cannot get the 2 things to work concurrently.

taken directly from dwardens OP, bolding is mine :

for ARMA 2: Combined Operations

solution to enable ingameUI modification manager

(when -mod are used the modification manager is disabled)

Windows Seven, Vista users using inbuilt mklink

yet the cmd script that you include on the OP includes the line.

:run

"%_ARMA2OAPATH%\ARMA2OA.exe" "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;%_ARMA2OAPATH%\EXPANSION;ca" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

ENDLOCAL

so clearly you cant use the cmd script, or use the drop down option in steam to run CO (because that also runs the cmd script)

running the junction script including the run lines

mklink /j "%_ARMA2OAPATH%\Addons" "_ARMA2PATH%\Addons"
mklink /j "%_ARMA2OAPATH%\Dta" "_ARMA2PATH%\Dta"
mklink /j "%_ARMA2OAPATH%\Keys" "_ARMA2PATH%\Keys"
mklink /j "%_ARMA2OAPATH%\userconfig" "_ARMA2PATH%\userconfig"

does create junctions to the dta, keys, userconfig and addons folders from arma2 into OA,

but when running the OA exe, as that is the only other option available to get the Ui Modmanager, Arma2 is not visible in the expansions UI in the game.

on a side note, if i try to access the dta/keys/userconfig/addons folders that have been placed in my OA main folder, i get an error telling me they refer to a location that is unavailable.

I tried deleting them and remaking them by re-running the A2intoOA4me script in admin mode and it failed to run/create the folders. I ran it again NOT in admin mode, and it created the folders but again they are 'unavailable'

My registry entries exist under the wow6432node entry for both a2 and oa

Edited by chappy

ok so having looked at it a bit more closely.

It appears that the CO cmd script includes -mod in the run part of the script

because of this, any mod folders that you've Junctioned in OA, are still not visible when running CO because -mod exists in the CO cmd script.

I can get the mods to load by running the straight OA exe. I can get the game to load in CO, but i cannot get the 2 things to work concurrently.

taken directly from dwardens OP :

yet the cmd script that you include on the OP includes the line.

"%_ARMA2OAPATH%\ARMA2OA.exe" "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;%_ARMA2OAPATH%\EXPANSION;ca" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
ENDLOCAL

That's the same thing for me - No mods show in STEAM when selecting the OA:CO option, but selecting just OA version has the mods showing that I've selected from the junction script (pain in getting to work in the first instance as the instructions were not clear to me, but I managed to figure it out)

Some of you guys are starting to sound like ungrateful assholes. Dwarden didn't say anything 'uncalled' for, he's helping us, and his english is fine. At least BIS is actually helping the community and giving us this instead of making the consumers go out and buy Combined Ops and buying both games twice just to get them to work together.

I do agree that this has been a SUB par launch for such a great game expansion. Both Steam and BIS are working to fix it, but these are the things that should have been figured out prior to release. This is not something that the MASSES had to be used to beta test. This could have been figured out just by installing the Steam version, and checking to see if everything went ok.

On one hand Im a bit bummed that it has taken this long to get it working (its working for me now).

On the other hand, there is no need to run ARMA2 content anyway as no one is using it because the configs are not "ARMA2 OA ized" yet. (please tell me that is coming soon).

I do long to have a simple answer to be able to use my good old ArmA2 launcher to launch my game / beta / mods/ if I wish, in any order or preference that I want.

I have no doubt that this will happen sooner than later, but it looks like it might be the community that fixes it before the DEVS. I hope the Devs get a move on to fix the embarrasing mistakes that have tarnished this otherwise stellar next edition in the ArmA series.

I do agree that this has been a SUB par launch for such a great game expansion. Both Steam and BIS are working to fix it, but these are the things that should have been figured out prior to release. This is not something that the MASSES had to be used to beta test. This could have been figured out just by installing the Steam version, and checking to see if everything went ok.

On one hand Im a bit bummed that it has taken this long to get it working (its working for me now).

On the other hand, there is no need to run ARMA2 content anyway as no one is using it because the configs are not "ARMA2 OA ized" yet.

I do long to have a simple answer to be able to use my good old ArmA2 launcher to launch my game / beta / mods/ if I wish, in any order or preference that I want.

I have no doubt that this will happen sooner than later, but it looks like it might be the community that fixes it before the DEVS. I hope the Devs get a move on to fix the embarrasing mistakes that have tarnished this otherwise stellar next edition in the ArmA series.

It does show that the BIS/Publishers Production and QA procedures need reviewing, as this is something that shouldn't have happened in my opinion.

Some of you guys are starting to sound like ungrateful assholes. Dwarden didn't say anything 'uncalled' for, he's helping us, and his english is fine. At least BIS is actually helping the community and giving us this instead of making the consumers go out and buy Combined Ops and buying both games twice just to get them to work together.

His english is far from fine.... and implying that your customers are stupid and can not read is uncalled for. I am not ungrateful, I simply want a product i paid for to work as intended.

@london lad

can you confirm for me that you have used the A2intoOA4me script, and have junction folders in OA for dta/userconfig/addons

also,

can you access these folders?

because as i'm starting to see it, this script is the one that should allow you to use arma2 without actually using the CO script, instead launching through OA exe thus allowing UI modmanager to work, but for whatever reason, this aint happening.

Edited by chappy

Thanks... Now i know im not alone.

The Devs response was uncalled for and still did nothing to help me get my mods working.

This is terrible customer relations for a terrible expansion launch.

And to everyone else who claims its so easy...I have WINDOWS XP... The junction program does nothing but open a dos window for a split second

that explains it why you can't get the manual junction to work ...

mklink don't exist on WindowsXP as repeated by myself several times

You need to download Junction program from Sysinternals (MS division)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx

Edited by Dwarden

@london lad

can you confirm for me that you have used the A2intoOA4me script, and have junction folders in OA for dta/userconfig/addons

also,

can you access these folders?

because as i'm starting to see it, this script is the one that should allow you to use arma2 without actually using the CO script, instead launching through OA exe thus allowing UI modmanager to work, but for whatever reason, this aint happening.

I used the '_junctionTHISmod4me' script - Copied this to my ARMA2 directory and then did the following...

Start > Run > typed in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\_junctionTHISmod4me <folder>'

Where <folder> is the folder you want added as the junction (or shortcut)

Examples

within Start > Run

Type out, or copy & paste

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\_junctionTHISmod4me' Addons

then rinse and repeat (some more examples are below)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\_junctionTHISmod4me' Dta

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\_junctionTHISmod4me' userconfig

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\_junctionTHISmod4me' @CBA

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\_junctionTHISmod4me' @sthud

etc etc etc

The only one I had to manually handle was the 'Keys' directory.

Within the OA folder I renamed the 'Keys directory to 'Key-ORIG' (as in Keys-Original)

I then junctioned the ARMA2 Keys directory (like so)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\_junctionTHISmod4me' @Keys

This leaves me with the junction (shortcut) of the ARMA2 'Keys' directory, and then OA 'Keys-ORIG' directory (I did this because I wasn't sure if theres a difference between the A2 and OA file(s) within the Keys directories)

Now when I run my STEAM version of OA but select the ARMA2:Operation Arrowhead option I get to see the mods I've 'junctioned'

I forgot to state I'm running Windows 7 x64

Edited by LondonLad

edit ok looks like londonlads method works.

so here it is, for those that want an understandable explanation of how to play CO with mods for steam ArmaII and steam OA

First,

IGNORE the _runA2CO cmd script

IGNORE the junctionA2intoOA4me script

go into your OA installation folder, and rename the 'keys' folder to keysoriginal or keysbackup or something (not sure if we need to do this but prudent anyway)

using the junctionTHISmod4me.cmd script:

go to start menu in windows, type 'run' into the search progs box, select the run program

in the run program , browse to the folder in which the above junctionTHISmod4me.cmd has been extracted (i extracted mine into the main ArmaII folder)

when you have this in the 'open' box, scroll to the end of the path and type in 'addons' (without the ' ' ) hit 'ok' and let the script run.

Reopen the run program, and the open box should have the previousl line in it. go to the end of the line, remove 'addons' and ad each of the following, one at a time, running the script each time and re-opening the run program afterwards.

keys

userconfig

dta

then do the above again for any mod folders that you wish to be able to use .

the addons, keys, userconfig and dta folders are the ones that will allow you to play CO at the same time as running mods.

once youve done all of this,

run the game as OA ONLY do not run it as combined ops

Edited by chappy

it displays only mods you junction ...

arma2oaexe reads only directories within OA directory

so each mod You want to see within ARMA 2 you need to junction

ofcourse this works only in the manual method not when _runA2CO.cmd was used nor when any -mod= startup parameter were used

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 ----------

well if you want to play combined ops you still need junction A2 into OA method so it autoloads the A2 data ....

what

_junctionA2intoOA4me_Vista&Seven.cmd

does is junction only for these directories

Addons

Dta

Keys

Userconfig

so you don't need type it again using

_junctionTHISmod4me_Vista&Seven.cmd

---------- Post added at 12:05 ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 ----------

anyway latest _runA2CO.cmd is now available on STEAM

junctiona2intooa4me did NOT work . the folders were unaccessible and when i loaded the OA exe, armaII was NOT listed at all in the UI modmanager

therefore, the junctionTHISmod4me.cmd was the only method to get the dta/addons/userconfig to work in the OA directory.

Edited by chappy

junctiona2intooa4me did NOT work . the folders were unaccessible and when i loaded the OA exe, armaII was NOT listed at all in the UI modmanager

therefore, the junctionTHISmod4me.cmd was the only method to get the dta/addons/userconfig to work in the OA directory.

I report the same thing - If I run this script it seems to create the 'junctions/shortcuts' within the OA directory, but upon accessing the 'junction/shortcut' it tells me its inaccessible (even though the path shown in the message 'seems' correct' - This is manually trying to open the junction/shortcut within the OA folder via Windows Explorer).

Unfortuntely I'm at work at the moment so I can't provide a screenshot of the message displayed.

Hi Dwarden.

And thanks for the new _runA2CO.cmd :)

It seems to work now when i startup the game via steam "Launch ArmA2: Combined Operation" and mods work pretty well too. Well if i add mods in the run parameters it only start mod if they are in the ArmA2:OA folder. So i have to copy my mods from ArmA2 folder over to ArmA2:OA folder, then they work :)

Like this:

"%_ARMA2OAPATH%\ARMA2OA.exe" "-nosplash" "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;%_ARMA2OAPATH%\EXPANSION;ca;@CBA;@sthud" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

ENDLOCAL

The @CBA and @sthud had to be in the ArmA2:OA folder to start.

But that is OK for me to copy mod folders from ArmA2 to ArmA2:OA

But is it any other way to fix that? :)

Thanks

you are fully right ...

because there is typo and when i copied stuff i missed one %

thank You for Your report :)

this happens when i try to fullfil everyones demands too fast :rolleyes::eek:

Edited by Dwarden

well now everyone shall be happy

i updated the batches, readme and main texts so everyone can understood that there are solutions

only for Windows Seven/Vista/Server 2008 users

only for Windows XP / Server 2003 users

it's still universal for both , just bit different tool used (mklink vs junction)

(any distribution on any distribution) as long as the registry paths are available

in case someone needs this badly for XP/Server2003 and FAT32 ... please PM me (but i hope not, it's not safe for normal users)

The @CBA and @sthud had to be in the ArmA2:OA folder to start.

But that is OK for me to copy mod folders from ArmA2 to ArmA2:OA

But is it any other way to fix that? :)

Thanks

I took a copy of the _runA2CO.cmd and renamed it to _runA2CO_sthud.cmd. Then I edited it like this:

"%_ARMA2OAPATH%\ARMA2OA.exe" "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;%_ARMA2OAPATH%\EXPANSION;ca;%_ARMA2PATH%\@CBA;%_ARMA2PATH%\@sthud" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

ENDLOCAL

In this way it will load your addons from your ArmA2 folder so you don't have to copy/paste the addons into the OA folder.

There may be other ways of doing do it, but this works for me anyway launching A2CO using this _sthud batch file. :)

Edited by CoolFire

yea or you can edit also the _runA2CO.cmd and

"%_ARMA2OAPATH%\ARMA2.exe" "-cpucount=4" "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;%_ARMA2OAPATH%\EXPANSION;ca;@CBA;@mods;@RTE" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

ENDLOCAL

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

is there a way to run Combined ops and still have the Expainsions option working so it still reconises Mods?

is there a way to run Combined ops and still have the Expainsions option working so it still reconises Mods?

yes it is,

2nd part of first post in this thread as 'manual' method :)

they key is that You must avoid to use -mod=

(which include to avoid using the _runA2CO.cmd)

in moment -mod= is used, it will disable internal mod manager

I took a copy of the _runA2CO.cmd and renamed it to _runA2CO_sthud.cmd. Then I edited it like this:

"%_ARMA2OAPATH%\ARMA2OA.exe" "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;%_ARMA2OAPATH%\EXPANSION;ca;%_ARMA2PATH%\@CBA;%_ARMA2PATH%\@sthud" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

ENDLOCAL

In this way it will load your addons from your ArmA2 folder so you don't have to copy/paste the addons into the OA folder.

There may be other ways of doing do it, but this works for me anyway launching A2CO using this _sthud batch file. :)

Thank you very much ;)

can someone give me a step by step for making this work i have both ARMA 2 and OA standalone im just mentaly disabled in these sorta things :Oo:

can someone give me a step by step for making this work i have both ARMA 2 and OA standalone im just mentaly disabled in these sorta things :Oo:

just download from first post file _runA2CO.zip

then extract file from _runA2CO.zip file _runA2CO.cmd

and run _runA2CO.cmd

that's all

in case You needs mods erm ...

it's described in first post too but no idea if simple enough

p.s. if you have steam then don't need to download anything for running A2: CO mode, it needs work only if you want mods

So to clarify, is it actually possible to run mods (through -mod launch commands) via the Combined Operations Steam launch option?

If so, I have had no such success :C

Similarly, is the Steam overlay supposed to be not available when launching through this method?