Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: CO (how to combine ARMA 2 into ARMA 2:OA and use together)

no you need to make custom shortcut in STEAM

and use full paths for commandline and copy rest of the run commandline

then it will work for the beta arma2oa.exe

A complete shortcut command line will help.

A complete shortcut command line will help.

something like this

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ARMA 2 Operation Arrowhead\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe"

"-mod=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ARMA 2;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ARMA 2 Operation Arrowhead\EXPANSION;ca" "-mod=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ARMA 2 Operation Arrowhead\Expansion\beta;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ARMA 2 Operation Arrowhead\Expansion\beta\Expansion" -nosplash

something like this

All that goes into the target line? I will give that a try.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Was to big for target line and game did not launch when I put it into steam advanced shortcut. I must be doing something wrong.

Here is what I have done so far.

1. Placed the cmd in OA folder

2. Created shortcut from my OA folder to desktop

3. Placed _runA2CO.cmd "-nosplash" in my created shortcut target line. "Didnt work so I tried #4"

4. Placed _runA2CO.cmd "-nosplash" in my launch options on steam then created shortcut. "Shortcut worked but was not combined operations"

I can run combined operations by launching through steam option but then I get a splash screen.

I can also run combined operations by launching it from the _runA2CO.cmd from my OA folder.

Edited by mia389

Okay-

I've been reading this "40 page, greater than 300 reply thread" and thus far have been able to run the Combined Operations through Steam and with _runA2CO.cmd download. Everything runs great. Where do I put any additions on the .cmd file to run mods, no splash and cpu 4. My .cmd file is listed in notepad as:

SETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS

:v64_path_a2

For /F "Tokens=2* skip=2" %%A In ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2" /v "MAIN"') Do (set _ARMA2PATH=%%B)

IF NOT DEFINED _ARMA2PATH (GOTO v32_path_a2) ELSE (GOTO v64_path_a2oa)

:v32_path_a2

For /F "Tokens=2* skip=2" %%C In ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2" /v "MAIN"') Do (set _ARMA2PATH=%%D)

IF NOT DEFINED _ARMA2PATH (GOTO uac_PATH_A2) ELSE (GOTO v64_path_a2oa)

:uac_PATH_A2

@FOR /F "tokens=2* delims= " %%I IN ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2" /v "MAIN"') DO (SET _ARMA2PATH=%%J)

IF NOT DEFINED _ARMA2PATH (GOTO std_PATH_A2) ELSE (GOTO v64_path_a2oa)

:std_PATH_A2

@FOR /F "tokens=2* delims= " %%K IN ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2" /v "MAIN"') DO (SET _ARMA2PATH=%%L)

IF NOT DEFINED _ARMA2PATH (GOTO ENDfailA2) ELSE (GOTO v64_path_a2oa)

:v64_path_a2oa

For /F "Tokens=2* skip=2" %%E In ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2 OA" /v "MAIN"') Do (set _ARMA2OAPATH=%%F)

IF NOT DEFINED _ARMA2OAPATH (GOTO v32_path_a2oa) ELSE (GOTO RUN)

:v32_path_a2oa

For /F "Tokens=2* skip=2" %%G In ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2 OA" /v "MAIN"') Do set (_ARMA2OAPATH=%%H)

IF NOT DEFINED _ARMA2OAPATH (GOTO uac_PATH_A2OA) ELSE (GOTO RUN)

:uac_PATH_A2OA

@FOR /F "tokens=2* delims= " %%M IN ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2 OA" /v "MAIN"') DO (SET _ARMA2OAPATH=%%N)

IF NOT DEFINED _ARMA2OAPATH (GOTO std_PATH_A2OA) ELSE (GOTO RUN)

:std_PATH_A2OA

@FOR /F "tokens=2* delims= " %%O IN ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2 OA" /v "MAIN"') DO (SET _ARMA2OAPATH=%%P)

IF NOT DEFINED _ARMA2OAPATH (GOTO ENDfailA2OA) ELSE (GOTO RUN)

:run

call ..\..\..\steam.exe -applaunch 33930 "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;%_ARMA2OAPATH%\EXPANSION;ca" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

ENDLOCAL

:end

@exit /B 0

:ENDfailA2

@exit /B 1

:ENDfailA2OA

@exit /B 2

behind that %9 :)

like %9 -nosplash

just don't forget space inbetween :)

behind that %9 :)

like %9 -nosplash

just don't forget space inbetween :)

Does it need to be in quotations? for example

"-mod @mymod"?

Does it need to be in quotations? for example

"-mod @mymod"?

yes use "" enclosing

"-mod=@mymod1;@mymod2"

if they inside A2:OA main directory

if not not then use full path

I have noticed, and it has been brought to my attention several times, that when you run Combined Operations mode with addons that are located in the ArmA II directory, the Steam dialog reading: "Preparing to launch ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead" hangs, and the game does not start. Is this a problem with Steam that is out of your control? If I use the beta version of OA instead, it takes care of the problem.

Also, is there a reason why launching the OA executable directly (not using Steam) requires Steam to start before the game does, but ArmA 2 does not? Can this be changed?

Also, is there a reason why launching the OA executable directly (not using Steam) requires Steam to start before the game does, but ArmA 2 does not? Can this be changed?

I was wondering that too. I hate having steam running in the background.

So reading through all this, I take it there's no way to have both the modification manager enabled and the ability to enable / disable arma2?

I have noticed, and it has been brought to my attention several times, that when you run Combined Operations mode with addons that are located in the ArmA II directory, the Steam dialog reading: "Preparing to launch ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead" hangs, and the game does not start. Is this a problem with Steam that is out of your control? If I use the beta version of OA instead, it takes care of the problem.

it's because of the STEAM copy protection ...

also STEAM direct launch via

steam.exe -applaunch 33930

is needed to enabled STEAMoverlay injection

it's because of the STEAM copy protection ...

also STEAM direct launch via

steam.exe -applaunch 33930

is needed to enabled STEAMoverlay injection

Hi Dwarden.

For Steam users.

If you start your ArmA2 directly from the install folder not use steam.

i.e g:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\arma2.exe

The game start without Steam Overlay.

But if you start OA

i.e. g:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe

The Steam Overlay start.

So can this be fix with a new ArmA2 patch/fixed exe so we can start arma2.exe with Steam Overlay. Because this cause some problems with some ArmA2 start up launchers.

99% of all ArmA2 launchers that has been made use full install folder i.e g:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\arma2.exe BUT there is no Steam Overlay in arma2.exe, only if you use Steam Client or the shortcut made by Steam Client(the shortcut start ArmA2 with this: steam://rungameid/33910)

Edited by MJK-Ranger

Hi Dwarden.

For Steam users.

i.e g:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\arma2.exe

The game start without Steam Overlay.

But if you start OA

i.e. g:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe

The Steam Overlay start.

So can this be fix with a new ArmA2 patch/fixed exe so we can start arma2.exe with Steam Overlay. Because this cause some problems with some ArmA2 start up launchers.

99% of all ArmA2 launchers that has been made use full install folder i.e g:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\arma2.exe BUT there is no Steam Overlay in arma2.exe, only if you use Steam Client or the shortcut made by Steam Client(the shortcut start ArmA2 with this: steam://rungameid/33910)

it's not possible when you start the game directly, the arma2.exe 1.07 is w/o STEAM copyprotection, thus it will not autostart steam like arma2oa.exe

to get working overlay you need to start it via

ARMA 2 North America

steam.exe -applaunch 33900 -nosplash

ARMA 2 Rest of The World (RoW)

steam.exe -applaunch 33910 -nosplash

For OA this is getting ever more complicated with A2:OA+A2 (Combined Operations mode)

as you can see i already used full path and it's starting w/o steam overlay

this variant will not exit the cmd:

"%_ARMA2OAPATH%\ARMA2OA.exe" "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;%_ARMA2OAPATH%\EXPANSION;ca" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

this variant will exit the cmd:

call "%_ARMA2OAPATH%\ARMA2OA.exe" "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;%_ARMA2OAPATH%\EXPANSION;ca" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

so the only variant which exits itself and work with overlay is:

call ..\..\..\steam.exe -applaunch 33930 "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;%_ARMA2OAPATH%\EXPANSION;ca" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

unfortunately this variant seems to hang for some users (you can run it via STEAM (Launch ARMA2:CO option) only once, then it stays stuck on "Starting ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead window)

i was unable to figure out why it does that and thus not published it to STEAM

so what STEAM users have now by default is working solution yet w/o STEAMoverlay

as You can see it's not that easy as it looks

WRT to compatibility I have four version of both games installed some all steam, some all dvd, some hybrid. Provided that everything is on the latest patch they all work together fine.

Los

To start ArmA2 with the steam overlay, from within Steam, go to Games > Add a non-Steam game. Navigate directly to the arma2.exe file then launch the shortcut you just created from within Steam.

This method also allows you to launch any non Steam game with the Steam overlay, provided the game is running in DirectX.

Edited by bhaz

I just want to know, when will Steam and or BIS give me one directory for my OA and ArmA2 (both were purchased from Steam)? Quick-fix batch files do not make my ArmA2 and OA work, look and operate like the directory from a box version of Combined Operations or a retail ArmA2 + Sprocket version of OA. Yes the batch file solution works, but why should I launch my game through Steam? I never had to do that before with ArmA2. Why should I want to use long dragged out mod lines in the parameter field of my OA executable? I use Yoma for my ArmA2 and mods.

Of all the members in my group, those who purchased the Steam version of OA, ended up with a separate OA directory. Those who purchased the Sprocket version have one directory, with ArmA2 and OA, plus an executable that launches as Combined Operations. This is what I personally expected from Steam, but instead I have a two directory mess.

The one directory approach works best and easiest with Yoma. It would allow me to run Combined Operations, launch from Yoma, and play either new OA COOP missions or ArmA2 ACE2 + mods COOP missions.

What went wrong here? Did Steam screw up or did BIS drop the ball on Steam, in favor of Sprocket? I have nothing against BIS. I just want my ArmA2 and OA to work with one directory correctly. I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking of buying the box version of ArmA2 OA Combined Operations, just to have a properly working ArmA2 + OA Expansion. All so I can once again enjoy playing COOP missions with the mods my group uses.

Please fix this Steam OA situation correctly.

silent_op

Because of the way that OA installs with Arma 2 to create Combined Operations, I think it messed with how Steam usually does releases. Since it's standalone it can install into it's own directory, but I doubt Steam has any way to install it into the directory of a game that already exists on your Steam, and for it to recognize it as a different game. Therefore I think it was more of a Steam screw-up or limitation, rather than a fault of BIS.

i already wrote several times that the integration and mod management system will be improved with updates because it's not perfect not even in the retail / sprocket merge mode...

I am one of the lucky ones that had boxed versions of Arma2 and OA which combined perfectly. The bad news is I spent last night unpacking my favourite missions which no longer work, and deleting ACE content etc. For my own Lan Game needs it looks like the easiest route is just to use a stand alone version of OA [ the inbuilt mod laucher is a great addition] and make all Arma2 content a simple mod folder.

I am not a happy bunny regarding the new comlexity of having to deal with multiple CBA updates.

One thing that does need to said is the expansion is worth every penny and finally manys gigswoth of OFP can be removed from my hard drives .

As a game playing experience OA is top of the pile.

new version of the _runA2CO for STEAM version

now it should work STEAMoverlay, from any place

and supports the parameters passed from "set launch options" in STEAM game properties

be warned that with this version you can't use

_runA2CO.cmd param

e.g.

_runA2CO.cmd -nosplash

that's limitation of starting something with steam.exe - applaunch

so please put all params you need into "set launch options"

for that You need use the nonSteam variant (it works with steam build too but no STEAMoverlay)

Edited by Dwarden

i already wrote several times that the integration and mod management system will be improved with updates because it's not perfect not even in the retail / sprocket merge mode...

Hmmm well if people are asking again then write it again. Do you recieve a pay check for your product support? If you do then be a little more professional. If you are doing this as a service because you love the game then I sincerely apologize!!!! We spent a lot of money on All of the arma games we are frustrated as no one is wealthy to buy the spocket version if they already got the steam one nor does the average person have computer enough hacking skills to get the game running correctly. It is not the customers fault that they can't just install the game and play without hours of reading and re-reading to understand support posts with very little descriptions! Not an attack on you dwarden we are just ANGRY at BIS and you seem to be the one in speaking on their behalf.

P.S. There were a lot of issues before with releases through steam. We thought you guys would have anticitpated this again and maybe fixed things before the release but nope us steam customers feel like 2nd class again.

Edited by Nitemare26

if you angry on BI then You angry on me cause i work for BI ...

anyway what "lot of issues" with STEAM releases You talk about?

the only widespread issue with OA STEAM release was ARMA 2: CO mode

there was no functionality problem with A2 STEAM release unless You mean absence of 1.05 patch which got (again already explained) reason

(which technically was no issue as our universal updater covered STEAM version also)

You need to realize A2:CO package on STEAM is pack of two STANDALONE games (which can be combined via A2:CO mode) ...

also realize noone is going to write the same answer on the same question repeatedly endless time

search function has it's purpose

also there is STEAM OA related FAQ on the very official STEAM forum

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337127

where is clearly stated :

Q: Can I combine A2: OA with STEAM version A2 (A2: Combined Operations)

A: Yes, You can (there is provided UI option in STEAM interface)

Note: You need first run ARMA 2 to force it write path into registry

Note: the actual solution is workaround, there will be full merge of the installs in future (most likely together with patch)

the actual A2:CO mode is temporary solution until we improve the game with update related to improved mod management etc.

or You trying to imply is that it was mistake we offered our STEAM customers this solution to run A2:CO mode

(which works for 99% of users, speaking of default OA+A2 w/o mods)

i'm bit puzzled by Your reaction because the problem was acknowledged by developers, is actively worked on and with temporary solution offer until full fix appear ...

Edited by Dwarden

Ok fair enough Dwarden. BIS is hard at work looking for the correct full fix, perfect. I hope BIS really can fix this correctly.

silent_op

anyway is there anyone with problems to actually run the A2:CO mode?

w/o mods

using the latest batch attached in first post

both steam and nonsteam separate installs