Sign in to follow this  
P_Kohvakka

Vehicle Ground speed

Don't you people think the tanks should go faster than 50-60 km/h? The same problem applies with many, if not all, ground vehicles except the bikes. They go fast enough. The side track of the speed is the gravity "engine". I think it needs a little filing too.

One nice detail to be added. The bikes ride faster (constant velocity) than the Humvees in the woods and the Humvees drive about 15 km/h on the bitumen (on a dock). Also aren't the vehicles oversteering?

Edited by P_Kohvakka

No.

A real T-72 will top out at ~60km/h

A real M1 will top out at ~67km/h

A real AAV7 will top out at ~64km/h

This assumes well serviced, tight/new tracks, and flat road.

The current speed is representative of their respective speeds in practical conditions. Granted, they are a few kph/mph slower than they should be.

No. If anything they should be slower. Rarely will you see military vehicles in real life driven at their maximum capacity. Rarely will you see military vehicle in Arma driven below their maximum capacity.

But, I know I'm alone on that opinion, so... :)

The only Problem with all vehicles is Speed uphill most pronounced in tracked vehicles...speed in game on road and flat terrain is good...but downhill its to high and uphill most tracked vehicle speed is dropping to much. at least the MBTs like T-90 and M1A1 should show some automotive reserves on 10% slopes.

Edited by Beagle

The biggest problem is that in Arma 2 all terrain is just as smooth as the road in terms of bumpiness, and the only thing that defines how fast you can drive is some value stored somewhere in the island data or something that says "in this place you should drive X times slower". In real life it is a lot different, as what makes you drive slower is not so much what material the terrain is made of (which also has an effect, but not as important), and more because the terrain simply isn't "smooth". Rocks, bumps and other objects will slow you down a lot, but in Arma in the rare occasion they are present they either make your tank shake in a weird and unrealistic manner, or go as far as throwing your tank into the air (or at least it does with AI tanks in some places).

In short, the driving in Arma 2 is simulated on a very very very basic level, to the point where I don't think I can say that it's simulated. Fine-tuning of speeds is the least of our problems.

Alright alright. Good points. Most tanks drive 60-70 km/h in real life on the street. Most of Arma2 terrain is open field. A field equals fast motion. In some points the modelled terrain slows the tanks just a way too much. M1A1 with 1500 hp dives any slope up and down without visibly slowing down. Some heather doesn’t slow real tanks.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Cars and trucks need a boost

I agree!

The problem: Even if you set the proper reallife speed of any tank in the configs it will still do 10-15 km/h more top notch.

So practically I set the speed of any tank in ACE2 -12 km/h (f.e. Abrams 55 km/h) so it won't do more than 66/67 km/h...

1- Real life tanks go faster than 60kph

Secondly: Arma2 representation of speeds is ridiculously wrong.

Drive the volkswagen golf off road for a few and get off and run on foot and u will go faster than by car.

Since when a car slows down that bad off road? I myself drive my car offroad in my farm and it doesnt lose any speed. lol.

Please fix the offroad speed in all of the vehicles URGENTLY.

Considering that this game is all about going off road and stuff and the road networks are poorly designed, you could at least improve the overall offroad speed of all the vehicles so it doesnt drop to one third of its speed when you hit the grass

Like I said, since the game doesn't have actual "bumps" and other stuff on the terrain like it should, it "simulates" them by simply slowing you down. That's why it gets so weird. We need improvements to the actual terrain before we can think about asking for improvements for offroad driving mechanics.

1- Real life tanks go faster than 60kph

I suggest you check the wiki.

Secondly: Arma2 representation of speeds is ridiculously wrong.

No, it's accurate for the FOV used. If it's a problem for you, zoom out (where allowed), or change your FOV settings.

Drive the volkswagen golf off road for a few and get off and run on foot and u will go faster than by car.

Yeah, and the problem is? Turn (default) grass back on and explain why that is a problem. Then try to use your own car in vegetation like that. Annoying? Yes. But I do feel it's realistic for most surfaces (exceptions apply).

Since when a car slows down that bad off road? I myself drive my car offroad in my farm and it doesnt lose any speed. lol.

What car do you have? Farmland seems to imply plowed or prepped fields, not the "crap" you'll find in most of Chernarus. Prepped fields would be the exception I mentioned above.

Please fix the offroad speed in all of the vehicles URGENTLY.

So, with all due respect: As annoying as it may sometimes feel, I think that nothing is actually broken or needs fixing in terms of offroad surface and vehicles not designed for offroad usage. For vehicles designed for offroad use, you get a speed bonus on these terrains, and a penalty on road, which is also fine for me.

Considering that this game is all about going off road and stuff and the road networks are poorly designed, you could at least improve the overall offroad speed of all the vehicles so it doesnt drop to one third of its speed when you hit the grass

If so, BIS should also change, by the same amount in the other direction, how vehicles can run at the same speed offroad even if it rains ;) Tracks and wheels in what would be turned into mud during heavy rainfall would make weather a problem to consider rather than (almost) just be eye candy.

The one thing that annoys me most about driving heavy vehicles is that somehow a tank can magically get stopped completely by a tree. I'm sorry but if you're going to tout realism in a game then have the decency to put real damn physics in.

Note how the vehicle is not stopped despite going through snow and even over some really tall trees? Granted, if it were an oak tree even a tank or APC probably would have a tougher time getting over it but the trees in Arma 2 are about as thick as the ones shown there so what bloody law states that they must bonk into them, completely stop and THEN the trees fall over? In my opinion this is just a lazy and half-assed way of doing it.

I think fixing this would probably help deal with the problem of A.I driving too, at least in heavy vehicles.

You could drive a tank at max speed all the time IRL. And if you did on most terrain you'd throw a tread. No mod I'm aware of models the downside of constantly gunning the engine of land vehicles.

There needs to be downsides as well. Tanks doesn't "belong" in woods. Why do you think engineers are required to clear a path in the woods for tanks to use? Wouldn't it be faster to just use the tank and have it done in 3 minutes? No, I'm sorry, but you can't just plow down (any) trees like we do in Arma.

Granted, the downside isn't 100%, but there has to be something. I kind of miss the inner OFP forests where you could actually get stuck with a tank. But I'd like to have them "deeper into the forest", and you should still be able to fell them, just not by driving big vehicles into them. But, I think OA is going to be slightly more friendly towards tankers, with less trees and forests to worry about.

What I would love to see is the land vehicles control redone.Right now you can use Q for slow speed,W for medium speed and E for fast speed.It becomes hard to place fingers when say your using the Q(slow speed) and the A/D keys for steering.I have remapped the "move slow" key to the W since it seems easier to manuever at lower speeds in dense areas.There is also the effect that when you release either QWE keys while turning that the vehicle swerves like mad...great for quick turns but sucks when trying to modulate speed since you need to have finger on one of the QWE keys for the easier steering aspect.

I have been using editor and just driving tanks around Chenarus and ....vehicle control needs improving for better gameplay.I do not know how much the PR mod will bring and I have hope there.I would have the W and S keys control speed only when pressed.So to speed up to 10 you hold W key till 10 is reached and release.Tank keeps traveling at 10.Slow down is opposite so that you hold S and tank slows down with realistic braking speeds of the vehicle being driven.Steering can now be mapped A/D for good control and the Q/E keys for rapid steering when needed.Then there is gearing that could be added in with better engine sound accompanying it.No manual gear changing as the WS keys control speed and gears up/down shift accordingly.

Another area for tanks that is lacking is how you are stuck in center view when the hatch is down and in drivers seat.All you see is a small rectangular window.What would be excellent is to have the mouse control your view but not in the normal left/right/up/down plane.Instead the mouse could move the viewpoint like trackIR does.So you could lean forward and loook left/right or up and down better when needed.Its very bad when cresting a hill and you can't see anything till the tank drops down.

Then there are certain vehicles allowing you freelook but have the tiniest windows that are for some reason super opaque so you can't see thru them.

I also agree that a tank shouldn't be able to just drive through a forest the way they seem to do in the game.