LurchiDerLurch

AC-130 Script for ARMA2 (0.3)

well why cant 105mm destroy a tank???, wtf????, otherwise, awesome mod

Edited by Klubargutan

Klubargutan,

I don`t believe the AC-130 has a Anti-Tank round, it uses an artillery round which by its very nature is a blast/frag munition. If it was to direct hit through top armour, maybe you could get a "destroying" kill. More likely is to suppress and bounce shrapnel all over the tank, maybe take a track or optics out with the blast, but unlikely you would get a full kill.

Klubargutan,

I don`t believe the AC-130 has a Anti-Tank round, it uses an artillery round which by its very nature is a blast/frag munition. If it was to direct hit through top armour, maybe you could get a "destroying" kill. More likely is to suppress and bounce shrapnel all over the tank, maybe take a track or optics out with the blast, but unlikely you would get a full kill.

well it needs 2 direct hits to destroy tank...DIRECT...so for that enable max zoom 10 :).....but 105 mm can destroy tank with 1 hit, cant it?

Edited by Klubargutan

The 105mm is an arty round. The 40mm is a grenade type round. So I'm not surprised that it takes direct hits.

Hello me again

the project is not dead ;)

I just had no time ... but currently I'm working on an improved multiplayer script. It's almost finished.

I also need 2 guys who are willing to test this new script online as soon as it's done. :)

Good to hear mate ! Still running the old bird over the skies of Takistan and it is DEVASTATING !

I run the script version to great effect.

You know that I can test for you, local and dedi :) I'll be your AC130 BIATCH !

Good to see you back.

Krem

PS I'm away on holiday for a week on Thursday however :)

Lurch,

The only issue I have with this script is if the player I give the ability to make the call for AC-130 support is killed he looses the ability on re-spawn.

I did find a way round it by addaction on a SOFLAM or UAV backpack which seemed one way to do it.

Finally I do get the AI manned AC-130 lagging in the sky visually on its orbit. Always have a crowd willing to test this for you.

As for the MQ-9 stuff, check you PM`s

Lurch,

The only issue I have with this script is if the player I give the ability to make the call for AC-130 support is killed he looses the ability on re-spawn.

I did find a way round it by addaction on a SOFLAM or UAV backpack which seemed one way to do it.

Finally I do get the AI manned AC-130 lagging in the sky visually on its orbit. Always have a crowd willing to test this for you.

As for the MQ-9 stuff, check you PM`s

The mission maker will have to take care of the actions attached to the players... I think it would be too confusing if I would add an killed-eventhandler into my script...

The backpack is a good idea. If you want I could add an AC-130-Backpack into the AddOn version. ;)

Lagging was always a problem of this CPU-intensive script... especially in MP. That's why I'm working on an improved version ;)

"a crowd willing to test" sounds great. I will get in touch with you.

The backpack is a good idea. If you want I could add an AC-130-Backpack into the AddOn version. ;)

Lurch,

Actually what would be better than a back pack would be a laptop. Both these aircraft are Video Down Link (VDL) capable colloquially know as "Rover" capable. So seeing their point of view from a laptop type screen would be more realistic.

Rover 5

Nice to see this awesome script/addon still alive! Just wonder if you found any new clues regarding the wierd AI behavior (see post #331) in SP and when host is using UAV/AC-130?

Looking forward to whatever update you may release...

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Lurch,

Actually what would be better than a back pack would be a laptop. Both these aircraft are Video Down Link (VDL) capable colloquially know as "Rover" capable. So seeing their point of view from a laptop type screen would be more realistic.

Rover 5

but a laptop would be static... so it would make no difference if a mission maker places a laptop with the action or if he places the ac130-laptop where the action is attached from scratch.

@KeyCat: I'm afraid not...

@LDL:

Looking at the latest version with a bit of playtesting I noticed something and wanted to ask you about it. The ammo counts for the ordinance seems to be a tad on the low side (real AC130s carry I believe 3000x25mm, 256x40mm, 50x105mm 100x105mm, have to check with my cousin on that ;)).

The 25mm cannon seems to fire slow... it's a Gau-12 equaliser that fires at ~ 1800 rpm, with your delay of .05 seconds it can fire no faster than 1200 rpm assuming was no script lag, an adjustment to 'sleep .0035' appears to correct this to ~1800 with script lag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-12_Equalizer#Development

Lastly, Would it be possible to shift to a toggleable weapons system?

e.g.: If you have the 25mm and the 40mm toggled, they will both fire together as fast as each can muster without any need to switch weapons.

I know all these statements likely seem like nagging, but I just wanted to supply this information to you for your consideration in the name of realism. I have no idea how these changes would affect playtesting or balance, and as such leave them to your discretion. I hope this input will be helpful to development.

-Thanx,

Luke

Edited by LLukeL

I did some experimenting last night regarding the wierd AI issue in SP (or when the host is using the UAV/AC-130).

I modified your script so I was setpos'ed close to the action (~100 m) before the UAV/AC-130 camera gets active but still the same, the AI just ignore armoured threats? So the "theory" that the AI could act like this if the player is far away is busted. Damn, this ruins this awesome script and I wished I could find an explanation for this behavior.

Not pointing fingers at you Lurchi since I think this wierd AI behavior must be an engine issue... lets hope some of the smarter brains around here can explain why it's happening....

If anyone is up to the task see my earlier post for descripton and a repro mission...

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1794255&postcount=331

And to add, if the repromission is runned on a dedicated server the AI performs like it should (i.e they engage the BMP's) it's only in SP or when host is using the UAV/AC-130 they ignore them.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

@LDL:

Looking at the latest version with a bit of playtesting I noticed something and wanted to ask you about it. The ammo counts for the ordinance seems to be a tad on the low side (real AC130s carry I believe 3000x25mm, 256x40mm, 50x105mm 100x105mm, have to check with my cousin on that ;)).

The 25mm cannon seems to fire slow... it's a Gau-12 equaliser that fires at ~ 1800 rpm, with your delay of .05 seconds it can fire no faster than 1200 rpm assuming was no script lag, an adjustment to 'sleep .0035' appears to correct this to ~1800 with script lag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-12_Equalizer#Development

Lastly, Would it be possible to shift to a toggleable weapons system?

e.g.: If you have the 25mm and the 40mm toggled, they will both fire together as fast as each can muster without any need to switch weapons.

I know all these statements likely seem like nagging, but I just wanted to supply this information to you for your consideration in the name of realism. I have no idea how these changes would affect playtesting or balance, and as such leave them to your discretion. I hope this input will be helpful to development.

-Thanx,

Luke

Thanks for your suggestions ;) I try to implement as many of them as possible. But I'll have to keep realism and gameplay in balance... the AC130 is dangerous enough at the moment ^^

But you're always free to change the default values (ammunition etc.) ;)

@KeyCat: thanks for testing... weird weird... but I think it's engine based...

cant get it working if i start a game with the C 130 -> SPECTRE<- i am getting this error :

LDL Init not initialized or 'LDL AC-130 Init' ('Logics' -> 'LDL Logics') missing

PS:I am using tha addon method with the @LDL

Place the "LDL AC-130 Init" (Editor: "Logics" -> "LDL Logics").....

sorry i dont get it :( my english is too worst because i am from germany

sorry i dont get it :( my english is too worst because i am from germany

german:

das ist das geringeste problem weil ich auch deutsch kann ^^ du musst einfach die "LDL AC-130 Init" im editor platzieren, wie jedes andere objekt auch. das sollte bei den Logiken unter LDL Logics zu finden sein. Sofern du das AddOn richtig installiert hast.

english:

I hope it's ok if I explained it to him in german ;)

Oh and at the experts: Aren't the IR Strobes meant to be seen with NVG or FLIR enabled? Because the ones from my script can only be seen WITHOUT flir ^^ I'll have to think about a solution for that...

Oh and at the experts: Aren't the IR Strobes meant to be seen with NVG or FLIR enabled? Because the ones from my script can only be seen WITHOUT flir ^^ I'll have to think about a solution for that...

I have seen the IR strobes in FLIR and NVG. Strange...

german:

das ist das geringeste problem weil ich auch deutsch kann ^^ du musst einfach die "LDL AC-130 Init" im editor platzieren, wie jedes andere objekt auch. das sollte bei den Logiken unter LDL Logics zu finden sein. Sofern du das AddOn richtig installiert hast.

english:

I hope it's ok if I explained it to him in german ;)

Oh i found it... i were looking for the LDL AC130 in "Module"(F7) :butbut: my bad.

Thanks for your great help.;) DANKE SCHÖÖÖN :p

PS: "Lastly, Would it be possible to shift to a toggleable weapons system?

e.g.: If you have the 25mm and the 40mm toggled, they will both fire together as fast as each can muster without any need to switch weapons."

Das wäre cool wenn du das einfügen könntest wenn ja gibts ein großzügiges Donate an dich ;)

Edited by csimami

I'm not sure if it's possible but do you HAVE to have the addon for this? Is there a simple script that allows this without the addon? :>

---------- Post added at 02:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 AM ----------

Oh i found it... i were looking for the LDL AC130 in "Module"(F7) :butbut: my bad.

Thanks for your great help.;) DANKE SCHÖÖÖN :p

PS: "Lastly, Would it be possible to shift to a toggleable weapons system?

e.g.: If you have the 25mm and the 40mm toggled, they will both fire together as fast as each can muster without any need to switch weapons."

Das wäre cool wenn du das einfügen könntest wenn ja gibts ein großzügiges Donate an dich ;)

I think this would actually ruin the aspect of the zoom. As the 40mm doesn't have the same Zoom as the 105 and 20mm. If you'd be able to fire 20mm and 40mm at the same time, either the zoom would be to overpowered or lesser because of the zoom :D

I'm not sure if it's possible but do you HAVE to have the addon for this? Is there a simple script that allows this without the addon? :>

Every version comes with a sample mission for the addon and the script.

But remember with the addon you have:

- New shells (bigger explosions)

- Logics available for the editor

The shift-25mm-40mm thing: Maybe if I have time ^^ Optional is always possible and I want to have as much people as possible to have fun with my script and customize it their way ;)

Edited by LurchiDerLurch

I would like to know if there's any progress on a model for this addon. I really want it :)