Sign in to follow this  
pravinrocks4u

Hurt Locker & Arma II

Recently I saw the movie "Hurt Locker" & just loved the movie & started to love Arma II more! I just felt very similarity between the game and the movie (I am not comparing both). Well I liked the scene of captured Hajis ...when their SUV is punctured! & after that how the team fights. Whenever I see this movie I can't stop thinking of this game!

I just wanted to know which scene of this movie do you like the most??

@*Placebo* this thread was in "General', instead of locking it you could have move this thread in OT..I mean is it possible for you?

I just wanted to know which scene of this movie do you like the most??

I really loved the whole movie, so I find it hard to pick out one specific scene as my favorite. Some of the moments that stuck out for me were:

1. When James is defusing the first IED and pulls the wire, revealing all the "secondaries". Truly an "oooooooooooh shit!" moment. :D

2. The scene with the car IED at the building, where the army guys injure that insurgent and the colonel says "He didn't make it!"....... *bam*

3. Sanborn thinking about "accidentally" blowing James up.

The long sniper scene was pretty cool too. :)

ARMA is more realistic.

I'm gonna go out-on-a-limb here and say you're ex-serving/currently serving. Those who've served/are serving seem to have a real natural hatred for this movie. :p

But to be honest, I... I don't really understand the purpose of the movie, if that makes any sense. I don't really get the story, or perhaps I am understanding it exactly how you're supposed to but... It's not that interesting of a war story? I watched it the whole way through once and when I watched it the second time I got bored and switched it off. I love cinematic war experiences, but for some reason The Hurt Locker didn't cut it for me like Band of Brothers or The Pacific do. I can watch both of those many times through and not get bored of them. I've watched BoB probably 4 or 5 times now, and am watching The Pacific for the second time.

In terms of similarities between Arma 2 and the movie, I can't see any. Unless you use mods or something. The storyline is completely different...

But to be honest, I... I don't really understand the purpose of the movie, if that makes any sense. I don't really get the story, or perhaps I am understanding it exactly how you're supposed to but... It's not that interesting of a war story?

In terms of similarities between Arma 2 and the movie, I can't see any. Unless you use mods or something. The storyline is completely different...

I also don't understand the purpose of the movie..may be the director wanted to show 'This is how bomb deactivating squad live their life'..or may be I am not grown up to understand the concept of the movie.

For the similarity, I wanted to say the cinematic war experiences is quite similar not the story.

Hey Zipper5! I am gonna watch those two movies you mentioned :D

The movie was incredibly hyped and I had high expectations for it... and that of course resulted in a total disappointment. That movie had incredibly bad, laughable and almost nonexistent story line, the characters were poorly described with very poor and cheesy attempts at revealing some of their personal background, the wannabe-dramatic scenes were predictable... Maybe it's because I am not American that I am not all aroused when I see a random movie featuring US Army, no matter the quality of the movie.

My first though I had when I finished watching that movie was:

"When do the Academy Awards grow some balls and say: All your movies sucked! You'll get no Oscars this time!"

I mean, seriously... do they really have to give out Oscars? It recieved 6!

I went through IMDB to show some interesting numbers:

The Godfather: 3 Oscars

The Shawshank Redemption: 7 Nominations

Pulp Fiction: 1 Oscar

Schindler's List: 7 Oscars

Star Wars: 6 Oscars

Saving Private Ryan: 5 Oscars

The Silence of the Lambs: 5 Oscars

Does Hurt Locker really fall in the same quality category with all time classics like Schindler's List, Star Wars or Saving Private Ryan?

To be honest I thought Avatar was better than The Hurt Locker and if they had to choose a winner I'd have wanted it to be Avatar (at least I was relatively entertained by it, which I can't say the same about The Hurt Locker), but I also didn't think Avatar was super-fantastic amazingsauce like people made it out to be. I'd rather see them hand out awards because they're good movies rather than them handing them out because "they have to have a Best Picture"...

Edited by Zipper5

Yeah... but I guess they have to... and since they had like only 2 major movies to award they had to spilt the awards somehow. It's really a spit in a face to movies that won Oscar righteously. I guess Oscar means pretty much like the Nobel prize for Peace nowdays... but that's offtopic :p

In my opinion, the drama in The Hurt Locker is mostly about how the characters deal with their job of defusing bombs in a place where everything seems to be out to kill you. Primarily it's the tension between the two guys who lost their Sergeant at the start of the film, having to deal with their new one going rambo on them. It's a little bit more subtle than your average war film, and I think it was very well done.

Maybe it didn't deserve six Oscars, but that's not for us to decide. :)

While I did enjoy the movie, I certainly did not think that it was deserving of the Academy Award for Best Picture.

I thought Avatar was better than The Hurt Locker

Avatar is Pocahontas on steroid. Other than technical awards, which ones could it have received ?

- SFX : Amazing, it got it, done.

- Script ? it was as predictable and cliché as it can get

- Acting ? nope...

Hurt Locker was overall a better movie IMHO.

As I said, I thought Avatar was better than Hurt Locker but not amazing like everyone made it out to be. It was entertaining. I thought it won the awards it should have for the most part, but between Hurt Locker and Avatar I think Avatar was more Best Picture-quality, but that's not saying much as, again, I didn't think it was amazing.

I liked Avatar too, but it really was just Smurf-Pocahontas in Space.

The Hurt Locker, I saw just the other day. I wasn't impressed, there was far too much compression in it for me i.e. soldiers who have a particular job doing the job of other units. Bomb squad doing house-to-house searches? Nope. House to house searches with only 3 guys? Nope. House to house searches where the 3 guys all split up and go different directions? Nope. Ridiculous :) There were other examples in the film of this sort. The long-range sniper scene was a bit odd, how come the insurgent sniper had perfect range and wind on the first shot? What the heck was he using? Strange how the specifically trained British Forces unit had to be rescued by the American bomb squad, with their own weapons. I have to ask why the 50 cal on the vehicle wasn't used to pepper that entire building to the ground.

I didn't detect much of a plot, which is fine (Jarhead also didn't have much plot) but there was also not much character development. The film got an Oscar for best direction, well that was entirely undeserved IMO, the documentary handheld style of the film (the film with no real plot remember) was more dependant on good acting and good editing. Direction? As far as directorial effort goes, Avatar was by far more impressive considering the on set limitations of the film.

Edited by DMarkwick

The Hurtlocker deserve totaly the oscar.

I mean it wastn so good as battle for haditha, but also a good movie.

Schindler's List: 7 Oscars

Saving Private Ryan: 5 Oscars

Oah come on... :eek:

This Spielberg Movies are so emotional manipulative.

Personally I think Avatar is better than Hurt Locker & I think it got Oscar because it was Women s Day on that day & the film is directed by a lady. I really think it was done to please all the women, I see no other reason for that.

Why are all people so crazy about that avatar movie?

its just another remake from dance with wolves. Or smurrfs on steroids meats the choosen one...

and all these "mother gaia" Cult mambo jambo... that movie was pure torture to my brain...

Why are all people so crazy about that avatar movie?

its just another remake from dance with wolves. Or smurrfs on steroids meats the choosen one...

and all these "mother gaia" Cult mambo jambo... that movie was pure torture to my brain...

I have to agree with you there, besides the 3D content and the CGI this film has a very similar plot to a lot of Hollywood films already released.

I have to agree with you there, besides the 3D content and the CGI this film has a very similar plot to a lot of Hollywood films already released.

Most of the characters are also very stereotypical and have practically zero depth. Just check out the its TVTropes page.

Who said we were crazy about it? We just think it was the better movie. As I've said many times, it was good, it was entertaining, it wasn't super-amazing like all the fanboi's make it to be, but it was enjoyable. I cannot say the same for Hurt Locker in my opinion.

Which is why it didn't receive Best Film :) However, as a directorial effort, it was way above Hurt Locker. I'm not saying Avatar was even the most worthy Best Director contestant (having not seen any of the others), just much better than Hurt Locker.

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Most of the characters are also very stereotypical and have practically zero depth. Just check out the its TVTropes page.

Well, it's a James Cameron film :) which means several things:

Poor plot

Terrible one dimensional characters

Average dialogue

Great bleeding-edge special effects

Really long film.

Basically, you get great value for money from Cameron (per ticket price) but you'll never see great cinema, just spectacular cinema.

Well, it's a James Cameron film :) which means several things:

Poor plot

Terrible one dimensional characters

Average dialogue

Great bleeding-edge special effects

Really long film.

Basically, you get great value for money from Cameron (per ticket price) but you'll never see great cinema, just spectacular cinema.

That pretty much sums it up, yeah. :)

Who said we were crazy about it? We just think it was the better movie. As I've said many times' date=' it was good, it was entertaining, it wasn't super-amazing like all the fanboi's make it to be, but it was enjoyable. I cannot say the same for Hurt Locker in my opinion.[/quote']

No need to defend your opinion, you're perfectly entitled to it :). We were merely pointing out why Avatar was a mediocre film, though undoubtedly spectacular.

Edited by MadDogX

Anyone who has served or is currently serving (including me) seem to be the only ones who realise what a massive crock of shit the shite locker was....words cant express how bad the movie was or how angry I was when it got Oscars....I lost hope right there.

No, I think we do, just for most it doesn't bother them too much. ;)

No, I think we do, just for most it doesn't bother them too much. ;)

I watched it while I was in Afghan, being that we worked we US EOD daily I really drew up comparisons and well, admittedly got a tad pissed off that everyone could praise a movie especially for its 'realism' ;)