Sign in to follow this  
ConnorJCP

Getting my son into ArmA 2

MOTHER OF GOD please don't buy Alienware, overpriced piece of shit. If you know how, building your PC from parts on Newegg is always a better idea. Heres a comparison of two equally powerful computers, one from parts on Newegg, and one prebuilt from Dell.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/helpdesk/?p=123

$4000 dollars for the name of a Dell? You decide.

It's much better to construct a PC yourself. Here:

http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=10702005

A PC more well enough to run nearly all games at max settings.

Anyways ArmA II isn't really much more graphic then most games out there. In fact it's pretty tame for a M rated game.

What You need to know is, Arma 2 isn't the game for everyone, it takes a lot of dedication to get good at it, its a true sim that takes a long time to learn. Most of my friends I advised to get it stopped playing it after a few days, too much of a learning curve for them. You cannot push this game on anyone, they'll either like it or hate it. Of course everyone here loves it, Me included, I've had My most awesome gaming moments in the game, and I'm playing games 25+ years :D

I've never tried the MP Campaign, but maybe you could go through it with him when he is set up. He'll see the "gore of war" and you can discuss it at that time.

Edited by SWAT_BigBear

Hi, I'm 76 years old and I let my 4 year old son play ArmA II. He's very good. Normally the top score on Multiplayer charts.

Ontopic. 15 isn't too young for ArmA II. I've seen kids as young as 8 playing Modern Warfare.

I've seen kids as young as 8 playing Modern Warfare.

I know what you mean, mate. I don't want to see them again, but what can you do? :D

Post deleted.

Edited by Laqueesha

Hello,

My name is connor and i am looking to buy my son Arma 2 for his birthday (next week), and i was wondering if Arma 2 has any exetreme violent scenes in it?

He is only 15, but he plays other games and has a playstation. so is it alright for a 15 year old to play?

i also to play ofp a while ago with my group of friends , so is it any different to ofp? he is really interested in Modern history and Modern wars.

I am currently in the Australian Army so i dont get to see my son alot, so i thought it would be a nice gift. A few friends from down at the barracks and i have decided to buy him a computer to run this (the one we have now is horribly old). I ordered this desktop (http://www1.ap.dell.com/au/en/home/desktops/alienware-area-51-alx/pd.aspx?refid=alienware-area-51-alx&s=dhs&cs=audhs1) a few weeks ago and was wondering if it would be able to run this game,(Im not good at computers and computer parts, so i bought the most expensive one).

Thank you in advance,

Connor

Y'know, I'm 13 and I like this game... but I guess it's just me, eh?

Y'know, I'm 13 and I like this game... but I guess it's just me, eh?

Oh cool, I'm 13 too. You're not alone. :)

13? Pfft, I started playing OFP when I was 8, way back in 2001.

Not so sure that's a good thing for me, though... :p

As long as he won't call us "Fat", "Bitch", "Etard" or something similar, the game would be perfectly suitable for him. The violence is pretty limited compared to most shooters modern days.

The good thing about ArmA 2 is that thinking about your decisions, planning the route you will walk etc etc. is a good way to use your brain. For example, before I played ArmA 2, I always got lost when looking at a map. Now, I understand them a lot easier. Don't expect him to reach Harvard-thinking, but it surely won't harm him having to think a bit more than in the average shooter.

I'd say a yes:)

13 years old? :p Grandpa's! :D My son started getting into ArmA II since he's 13 months old *not kidding*

"Daddy? Why is there a beheaded soldier and a naked woman in that jeep after I downloaded something from the Internet?".

I got a nephew, Around 2,5 years old whom is really into Dirt 2. When he crashes his car he always yells crash and asks me if I can rewind again:)

"Daddy? Why is there a beheaded soldier and a naked woman in that jeep after I downloaded something from the Internet?".

I got a nephew, Around 2,5 years old whom is really into Dirt 2. When he crashes his car he always yells crash and asks me if I can rewind again:)

CRASH!!!!

Rewind! Rewind!

My girlfriend is really into Dirt 2 whenever she crashes she blames it on the tree or mountain thats "in her way", supposbly. Go fiqure

Hes 15.Hes old enough don't you think?I do not shield my kids from war.I grew up watching Combat!,Rat Patrol,World At War,and other programs like that.If anything,it made me very patriotic and set me on a path to enlist in the military.I turned out ok.I do not get this feeling these days that we should shield kids from history and the violence that has occurred in it.

This game really is amazing in comparison to some of the other, dull brained games we have. I've been playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 for over a month, and it's not only frustrating, but it's incredibly easy as far as thinking goes.

Playing the Demo of this, planning strategies with people to take on the masses of powerful AI really is hard. You really need to think and work together, but if you manage it... it's really rewarding.

My girlfriend is really into Dirt 2 whenever she crashes she blames it on the tree or mountain thats "in her way", supposbly. Go fiqure

Hehe, love those stories, it's funny how they blame everything but themselves, and then we'd have to deal with a pissed-of girlfriend the other part of the evening:D

Hi ConnorJCPall

First off he is your son so you know best.

The package comes with a pegi 16+ certificate consider that carefully.

There are some narrative lines dealing with effects of war on civilians, such as:

• atrocity incidents including civilians being hung and ethnic cleansing,
  • women being driven to prostitution to survive,
  • several instances of torture and at least one of the aftermath of an assault on a female character,

the patch campaign deals with post apocalypse issues such as:

• constant fear,
  • loss,
  • hard decisions including moral ambiguities,
  • the sounds of war in this campaign can be quite harrowing,

IMHO these are good as they raise and lead you to consider moral and ethical questions involved in conflict.

I would suggest discussing the issues with your son as they arise to see how he understands the issues.

These are of course if he decides to bother with the SP campaign or jump straight into the editor or multiplayer. :)

My 2 girls are 8 & 10 and they spend hrs messing around in the editor! :)

My 2 girls are 8 & 10 and they spend hrs messing around in the editor! :)

Most likely plotting/planning the take over of your house!:D

Most likely plotting/planning the take over of your house!:D

Hopefully! As they're living with their mother! - ATM :bounce3: