Sign in to follow this  
mjpadilla

Jump?

I think the "Dumb ass bunny jumper" shit we're referring to is jumping around 6 feet in the air to avoid enemy fire. I don't think we're talking about jumping out of planes, reasonable jumps like into or out of a vehicle or anything like that.

But if you added any kind of a jump feature to OFP, you could bet your bottom dollar that the first example I gave is exactly what it would get used for, and that would make a mockery of a realistic war simulator. Unless there are cases of people jumping 6 feet in the air in real life to avoid enemy gunfire?

No Tex...claymore-propelled individuals are not 'jumping' wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mjpadilla @ April 15 2002,06:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">  This is a war simulation game, well you should be able to climb trees<span id='postcolor'>

This reminds me of an old joke.

Why you shouldn't go to the forest after dark?

Because the elephants descend from the trees when the night comes. tounge.gif

And...

Why does a beaver have a flat tail?

Because it went to the forest after dark. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No Tex...claymore-propelled individuals are not 'jumping' <span id='postcolor'>

LOL LOL LOL! tounge.gif

The Rainbow 6 series got it right.

You see a ledge, you run up to it, you "jump", and your guy takes time to hop (realistically) up onto the surface. Not only did it let you go where you wanted, it looked fantastically cool when you did it as the animations were outstanding and varied.

As far as jumping in OFP...eh. It'd be pretty odd...the only "jump" I'd accept is if you were able to throw your body in a certian direction, and land prone. Might be enough to get yourself out of harms way, AND it would land you prone, so if you WERN'T out of harms way, someone would have your ass for making a dumb move. THAT would end bunnyhopping REAL fast.

SgtVor

Thanks  smile.gif

As far as climbing trees?  The LAST place I'd want to be in a combat situation is up a tree.  You're stuck.  There's only one way out...down...and everyone knows it.  It's the vertical equivilent to backing yourself against a wall.  No trained solider in his right mind would engage the enemy while stuck in a tree.

Mobility is life in infantry.  If you planned an ambush that went bad, and everyone had to disengage and meet back at the rally point...the guy up the tree is screwed.

There's just no logical point for it in a game designed for infantry combat .

Granted, the more realistic the game, the better, but the basic design of the game is that you play as a US Soldier.  If someone would like to design and code "Operation: Couch Potato", where you played as a lazy civilian who occasionally climbed trees and lept on unsuspecting passerbys, then by all means let the treeclimbing begin!  biggrin.gif

Sorry wink.gif  I don't mean to mock, but we shouldn't be asking for things that are beyond the scope of the games design.  That's all.  Just gotta remember that OFP is at it's base level an infantry skirmish simulation.  Everything else is bonus really...or the product of niftey scripting biggrin.gif

SgtVor

sgtvor yer idea about jumping is pretty good. If implemented properly I bet it would add alot to the game.

a sidenote: I can drop grunts in some of the larger trees using my helo.

sidenote about trees: i put a forest on top of me in gunslingers addon and it crushed me sad.gif

it wasn't placed on top of me

i learned later that the forest is a solid object that you cannot enter

IMHO the life expectancy of bunny hoppers in this game in respect to CS and Q type of games would be severely short. not only is it useless in ranged combat, when i'm looking for people usually the only reason i see them is because of movement, sometimes people escape my fire when they hunker down good enough and crawl through cover rather than running from tree to tree. a guy jumping to avoid bullets would attract 10X more attention than a patient person. the only downside is that we would have to bear the endless stream of profanity on the voice comm coming from this guy who thinks everyone cheats because he's 31337 at CS.

i for one would like to see a jump function, there are a few ways i could implement it but in terms of stealth, especially getting over those damn picket fense in the towns which you really should be able to kick down or something equally violent.

Well, dunno if its a bug or not but u can clear things that would be conceivable of jumping over in a single bound. LIke sandbags...just run into them and hold yer turbo button...u'll pass staight thru wink.gif

AND....it seems as that same old reference and slander to other games and other TYPES of games whilst playing a different game can never be avoided or simply put to rest ... I mean "Bunnyhoppers" HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA I have never heard that term b4 but FUCKIN'ell ppl, I play quake, to me it is simply brilliant...YES, involving a lot of JUMPING and DODGING an' all that gung-HO stuff, yet it is a game involving skill and reaction time. OFP is absolutely brill in another way-for its environment and intention I think it is great, and that is y its not called Q3-Slaughter in the Woods.

But for that to be and remain true, I agree that jumping is not the way to go

ah yes the is a very big LOL! I have never seen the reason needing to jump in most games I play unless its single player!

And I see no reason for it tobe in OPF!

PS I am back! smile.gif

Next people will be asking to be able to rocket jump or satchel jump.

-=Die Alive=-

If a quake/halflife jump feature is ever introduced to OFP I will never play online again.

I paid good money for my monitor, and I'd hate to put my fist through it.

<span style='color:red'><s>BUNNY JUMPERS</s></span>

Forget jumping....

Add a "diving" type move where you throw yourself in the direction you're facing and land prone after a moment of recovery. It'd be "real" enough to satisfy the realism crowd, while giving the other guys the "jump" they so desperately want.

The fact that you would land prone would negate any chance of abuse by bunnyhoppers. Everyone who's played knows a prone target isn't moving fast, and is therefore much easier to hit. If someone just jumped around, they'd get their ass handed to them for being a moron....and on occasion, you never know when a well timed dive might put you out of the line of fire just in the nick of time.

Vor

I think a climb feature would be lovely jubbly, much like the one used in the R6 RS/UO games. You wouldnt need to jump onto or over obstacles, just climb onto them.

Yeah, like climb over fecnes, not like now where you just run at the corner of a fence and you somehow get through.

-=Die Alive=-

yeah i always thought it would be cool to pretty much lurch forward and land prone. adds more of a "oh shit i'm being shot at, get down!" feeling than just going prone normally. easiest way would be to make it automatic when you're running and push the prone key

speaking of climbing, what the hell does the drop ladder button do? i never could get that to work.

Forget about the whole jump-idea...add peeking instead.

That would atleast be useful!

sad.gif