Sign in to follow this  
mjpadilla

Jump?

Has there ever been a consideration to add a jump feature?

oh shit the bunny hoppers are back

there's no real use for jumping in OFP or IRL unless you are going to jump off a cliff which you can just run

carrying a gun + full ammo load jumping might be a tad painful

BIS please, DON'T EVER add a jump function. That is one of the most pathetic features in multiplayer Quake type games.

Obviously in OFP it goes against all the attempts at realism, not because humans can't jump, but because it would be abused as fools would just hop around the map trying not to get shot.

Think that works in a real war? Not for long...

11 Bravo is going to come in here and tell you guys that yes, you can jump in full battle gear, and he will be right. but thats not the point. adding a jump feature just wont add anything to gameplay, and just isnt justified. also, If I see bunnyhoppers in OFP I swear to God that I will burn my OFP CD (using the manual as kindling) and never buy another BIS product. biggrin.gif

i would have to agree with you

i can see it now

guy joins game, charges at you firing his m60 on full run speed strafing and hopping along and then calling everyone cheaters when he dies

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">carrying a gun + full ammo load jumping might be a tad painful<span id='postcolor'>

Can relate to this. Add a ruck sack and you are talking hip replacement surgery at 35.

Running is bad enough.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">11 Bravo is going to come in here and tell you guys that yes, you can jump in full battle gear, and he will be right. but thats not the point.<span id='postcolor'>

I was being a dumbass. Being a brainwashed airborne soldier I assumed when he said jump, he meant out of planes. (See other thread)

i ve quit CS and Q3 community after 3 years pain with the BH....

So BIS dont do that, or did u want to play along with the cheater and insane little boy

Bunnyhopping wouldent work as a tactic in ofp and what about a hidden and dangerous style jump or MOHAA, just a little hop to get over fences and such but u cannot bunnyhop no jumping fools in mohaa

Let us all point our fingers at him and laugh at him.

*Points a finger at the thread starter*

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

i thought about this once. Would it really make it all that unrealistic if it was within reason of normal human jumping? In games like LandWarrior, it made all the difference in the world in some situations. Lots of beautiful simplicity with jumping. You could jump on to a boat and shoot from it since you werent locked into anything.

But then youd have to be able to do things like tell your squad to jump on to a boat, and youd have to be able to write code based on it; "Jump from here to here" or something to that extent in a script and whatnot.

And then theres all the jack rabbit people in multi-player that use jumping as practicly a cheat at dodging bullets, and the only way to kill them is with explosives. What that starts is everyone using only explosives since thats the only guarenteed way to kill anyone anymore. Then what we have is a bunch of grenade launching, rocket shooting, jack-in-the-boxes.

This is years and years of faster paced, less realistic FirstPersonShooter veterancy talking. Jumping in OFP would be about as useful as giving the reds another chopper (No offense, red heads. You just dont need one more damn chopper).

about the only useful thing you could jump over would be sandbags but it's easy to just go around

sandbags in OFP can be overcome by running over it. smile.gif

the ones under 'fence' and 'small shad' can be done so.

iv managed to run over barbed wire blockades. the ones that can stop tanks tounge.gif

But yeah, it is easy to just go around. Matter of fact, why not just hit the dirt behind them? More cover that way

I made a jump script once, quite funny when you sat in a m1a1 and bodyslammed a house from 50 meters, but as the rest of you pointed out, useless.

Since I started playing realistic FPS like Rogue Spear and OFP, I can hardly bring myself to play those Quake style games anymore.

I was playing No One Lives Forever online a while back, watching people jump around like jackrabbits with fire ants up their ass, and I thought to myslef: geez, I'd forgotten how shitty games like this are compared to OFP.

i would like a jump function so i can jump over bullets being fired at me and also i would like metal hands so i can deflect bullets biggrin.gif

How aboOt the dreadful Turok games for N64? Ach, they should make a public burning parade for those dreadful jack jumping-filled games! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hilandor @ April 14 2002,15:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i would like a jump function so i can jump over bullets being fired at me   and also i would like metal hands so i can deflect bullets  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

for noob like you, let me give you a reality check!

OFP is not another CS.!!!

tounge.gifbiggrin.gifsmile.gif

I guess you guys are just interested into a shoot 'em up game? If I get your "Dumb ass bunny jumper" type of remarks. Well the main question, is yes a jump, not out of planes. This is a war simulation, correct? Even in war you have to jump at times. For example, I am currently working on a mission that requires you to move from one building in ruins to another and there are levels shot out, or bombed out, therefore, yes "The damn bunny is necessary to make this a more enjoyable mission and, yes more realistic.

I am not comparing to quake and I am not a quake player. This is OFP forum, therefore, only OFP questions.

Another example of a "Dumb ass" jumping necessity in OFP is the following:

For example, I want to jump on top of a truck or car to get a better vision as I am a sniper that was ambushed en route?

The list goes on and on......

Yet one more reason for jumping:

This is a war simulation game, well you should be able to climb trees, depending on skills, and jump on to unsuspecting passers by.

The more realistic the game could be made, the more enjoyable. Furthermore, yes I have seen what you all call the "Dumb bunny cheaters", but just like in real life, how many times can you jump before you have to rest? Well OFP is similarly designed. You run, you try to aim, and you cannot aim accurately. Your breathing is hard and heart rate is rasing.

This is supposed to be a strategy game, let's make it a real strategy game, were walking, crawling, crouching, running and JUMPING is all part of strategies. THINKING is number one, but JUMPING is not too far off since you need to JUMP at times to achieve your brilliant plan for a mission.