wraith_v

ATTN NOOBIES! - New to ArmA II or OA - Here's the place for your questions

in sp scenarios freedom fighters i keep getting killed for no reason,is this a bug,i control 2 towns MYSTA-STORAYE but I'm in my base camp miles away heavily defended, its impossible for me to get killed by ENEMY forces.

cheers Dan

Hi papadan

I can not remember playing this mission. No such thing as an impossible target, there are list of politicians and indeed generals that prove that. A lone sniper or assassin perhaps?

I will have a look at it to see if I can fathom who it is that is sniping you.

Kind Regards walker

Thank you,i forgot to say im also hidden in a MG nest with machine-gunners as protection.

thanks again

Dan

delete, don't know how to delete

Edited by KiloVenom

Hi - I'm not sure where to ask this ... but is there a way to tell your AI squad to GET DOWN AND STAY LOW? Does anyone else have a problem with squad members standing up in the middle of a firefight for no reason at all and promptly getting blown away?

Just Tell them to Stay Prone in the Squad Commands menu. The Menu you get when you press "F#" Keys. :rolleyes:

In before "use search and read the biki, n00b", I searched and didn't find any help, I read the biki article, read it twice, no joy.

My question is this: is it possible to create an artillery fire mission template, for example:

_heTemplate = ["IMMEDIATE", "HE", 0, 15];

And then call for support and aim that fire mission where ever I point to on the map? The way it's used in the BIKI, it seems to be aimed at a predetermined location, and using the SOM you can't use your own fire mission templates.

I just traveled Chernarus in the editor to see how big it was and indeed it's big. I travel in car and I must say this is the first game I ever played that doesn't have loading screens while you traverse the landscape. I used the Land Texture mod for Chernarus which makes the whole landscape more natural. I wonder if there's a mod that adds more towns in the unfinished areas in Chernarus.

I just traveled Chernarus in the editor to see how big it was and indeed it's big. I travel in car and I must say this is the first game I ever played that doesn't have loading screens while you traverse the landscape. I used the Land Texture mod for Chernarus which makes the whole landscape more natural. I wonder if there's a mod that adds more towns in the unfinished areas in Chernarus.

It's good isn't it Lorca? :) It uses streaming technology that loads the whole landscape into your memory. This also means that there's no 'tether' like some other 'games' - you can move as far away from your team mates as possible. Welcome to how FPS should be done.

It's good isn't it Lorca? :) It uses streaming technology that loads the whole landscape into your memory. This also means that there's no 'tether' like some other 'games' - you can move as far away from your team mates as possible. Welcome to how FPS should be done.

Indeed. I came to Arma after playing countless high graphics games like Crysis but coming to Arma 2 is a whole new experience. Even though I like Crysis, that game is like a beautiful prostitute with a big ass and Arma 2 is like that woman next door that you never thought you would end up with and after knowing her day by day you realized how incredible and special she is. Arma 2 is a simulation game and it's amazing that BI gave this massive landscape adequate graphics. They really didn't have to but people nowadays complain so much about graphics. Anyways, here's another experience in the editor/Chernarus. I got in a car and commanded my buddy AI to take me about 200km to a faraway obscure dock. OMFG, he drove better than I did! That sneaky bastard even went off the beaten path to find a shorter route to get there. For a moment I thought, "wait a minute, WHAT are you doing, you're suppose to follow the road", "Are you taking me for a ride?", "Is this a bug?" Nope. Lol, I wish he could have said to me, "Shut up bitch, I know what I'm doing."

In other games the AI suffers from digital Alzheimer. They would have choked somewhere. I know Arma AI is not perfect but no game has perfect AI. But that feat of the AI driving me 200km through winding roads, highways and bike trails to the exact destination talks volumes about this game. I wonder if the same AI will do the same thing again, going and cutting corners at the same spots or is this random? Will he go to the same destination I specified but taking a different route from last?

Edited by Lorca

I got a question on some of the equipment in OA, so i hope it's ok I ask here, rather than make a new thread for such a little thing.

What is the optic on the mk17 EGLM RCO? The mount for it looks a bit like the one the C79 uses. Search for RCO gives mainly links for Trijicon products.

Can someone explain to me what "warfare" is? I can't get a clear explanation from google.

Found out it's a ELCAN SpecterDR (SU-230/PVS).

Edited by haxfar

warefare is a gametype, read more about it Here in the biki

Thanks, that's just what I needed

hi im new to this game and I bought the combined games on STEAM, I am running windows 7,

I was wondering if any could give me a step by step guide and how to install and play the ACE mod..

i have seen some guides for this, but I think its a bit different for Steam users, so anybody willing to help out,

thanks

hi im new to this game and I bought the combined games on STEAM, I am running windows 7,

I was wondering if any could give me a step by step guide and how to install and play the ACE mod..

i have seen some guides for this, but I think its a bit different for Steam users, so anybody willing to help out,

thanks

spirit733t

It is very daunting isn't it.

Okay

Start with the really slick updater that Sickboy made.

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/six-arma-updater/files

Download and install that.

Then Run the Six Updater - GUI. It will launch a cmd window(black window and do a bunch of stuff.. WAIT for it......

Then another cmd window launches Ruby.exe Then wait....Wait for it...

Then a Browser Window appears.

Six Updater Suite it is titled.

Is should auto detect that you have

A2 OA - A.C.E. in the Present window. (If not you have it installed incorrectly) hit the Sync button if you want to be sure it is updated or not.(this just looks at what you have on your system)

under Optional Preset Overrides -Action optioin you can click where the white is (literally take your mouse and click beside the words Install update and start game) and it will drop down options. i choose install or update.

Now Looking at that whole screen again look over on the right you will see

many words. Ignore them until you get more familure.

Just look for

@ACE

@ACEX

@ACEX_RU

@ACEX_SN

@ACEX_USNavy

@CBA

it will have it in red if you need it green if you are up to-date.

Looking Back on the left side of the browser window.

leave the rest untouched for just playing ACE.

lower down

Under ACTIONS

hit the Execute button

This starts the update process. It can take a while so go do something. Another CMD window opens and starts scrolling what it is doing and updating and skipping.

Once this is all done you go back to the Sync button we talked about above and hit it.

The stuff on the right should be green. unless it is disabled (which some are because they are not compatible with what you have installed.)

Green is Good.

That means you have an up to-date ACE.

Then launch the game, go in to Expansions from the main window and put check marks beside all the items I listed above. It will tell you to reboot and when it does you will see new awesome ACE screens, with the ACE stuff down the right side of the screen with the versions at the bottom.

There will be a ton of missions you can play under single player.

http://ace.dev-heaven.net/Advanced_Combat_Environment and look on the right for information on ACE(there is a HUGE amount so take it slow)

And Post questions after searching in the ACE thread

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=113797

Welcome and good luck

It takes some work but it is so worth it if you succeed.

An Xbox this ain't.

Good luck.

---------- Post added at 01:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 AM ----------

Hey Lorca.

It is pretty sweet. That is why I don't complain any more(Yes I was an ignorant whiner way back when. Too used to COD where you HAD to run the trench and only the trench, but BOY could you run it fast) about some LOD issues. HA NOTHING. No Hampster maze for YOU.

I just started fiddling with the Module (F7 Key) in the editor.

Town Construction Set.

Plop a few down where you think they should be in the editor and then go there (in chopper I would advise not car)(At least I think more then one works)

Builds Towns on the spot.

Then add Ambient life and animals modules look in to spawn even if empty init options and BLAMO, a world opens up.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:ArmA_2:_Editor_Modules

It seriously ROCKS.

Hope that helps.

I accidentally hit a key when trying to order my groups (the units not directly under my control) around and I found some instructions I had never seen before. They were giving these groups general orders, like to guard or patrol or attack....

What keys did I hit to get that because I don't know what I did to get them the first time.

Not a noob, but one thing I was always curious about.... When playing a dynamic/random mission (either in a vanilla Arma2/OA random session with other AI battling around you, or something such as Flashpoint:Takistan), is there a way to alert the other AI (not your squad, but other AI, such as any planes, vehicals or other troops that aren't in your squad) to enemies that you spot?

I know that right clicking on enemies 'reports' them to your squadmates (and puts them on the map at lower difficulties), but does that also announce them to non-squad members? Will they (on their own will) attack them if I announce them? Does my reporting them make the entire 'team/side' globally aware of enemies I spot? If not, it's a real shame I can't point at enemies and tell (for example) the AI A-10 that's flying around in a dynamic mission about it... and let them decide for themselves if they feel like cutting them in half with their guns...

Also, I know this may not technically be the right place to ask (and I HAVE asked it in the correct spot already, but with no response), so I'll just take a stab in the dark here, in case someone who may know might answer... In Flashpoint: Takistan, how do you re-arm (ammo) when you are playing a sniper? The hummers and other vehicals don't carry the correct ammo for a sniper rifle, so after you run out, it seems you can't do a heck of a lot! Anyone happen to know? (To be fair, I'm running 1.04, and it appears they are up to 1.07.. which I will install when I got a moment!)

Hey Lorca.

It is pretty sweet. That is why I don't complain any more(Yes I was an ignorant whiner way back when. Too used to COD where you HAD to run the trench and only the trench, but BOY could you run it fast) about some LOD issues. HA NOTHING. No Hampster maze for YOU.

I just started fiddling with the Module (F7 Key) in the editor.

Town Construction Set.

Plop a few down where you think they should be in the editor and then go there (in chopper I would advise not car)(At least I think more then one works)

Builds Towns on the spot.

Then add Ambient life and animals modules look in to spawn even if empty init options and BLAMO, a world opens up.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:ArmA_2:_Editor_Modules

It seriously ROCKS.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advise and link.

I accidentally hit a key when trying to order my groups (the units not directly under my control) around and I found some instructions I had never seen before. They were giving these groups general orders, like to guard or patrol or attack....

What keys did I hit to get that because I don't know what I did to get them the first time.

Hi KiloVenom

It was probably the spacebar you hit.

In the BIS community Wiki under hints and tips there is a whole page devoted to controling the AI.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_II_AI_Squad_Command

Kind Regards walker

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Hi ladlon

I know that right clicking on enemies 'reports' them to your squadmates (and puts them on the map at lower difficulties),

We did some research on this at CoC back in OFP and found that information was reported up and that the AI designated specific units to deal with threat types. You will see these reports from other squads as a human in side chat.

In Flashpoint: Takistan, how do you re-arm (ammo) when you are playing a sniper? The hummers and other vehicals don't carry the correct ammo for a sniper rifle, so after you run out, it seems you can't do a heck of a lot! Anyone happen to know? (To be fair, I'm running 1.04, and it appears they are up to 1.07.. which I will install when I got a moment!)

ONE! UPGRADE NOW!!! You get extras as well as bug fixes and additions! Be aware some of the extra units and weapons will rendered in low res as you have to buy the DLC in order to get the pretty ones but the DLC is cheap.

Two. Ammo in a mission is down to the mission maker. If the mission is editable add ammo boxes or vehicles with ammo in them. You can script this with some one elses pre made script if need be.

Kind Regards walker

Hi KiloVenom

It was probably the spacebar you hit but while you were in high command mode so I am guessing warfare or some such was the mission type you were playing.

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/armaii/video/6268701

There is more information in the ArmA II manual.

You may also search google for ArmA II "High command"

Kind Regards walker

I'm having some trouble with mortars. I disassemble the mortar and two bags appear, but there's no option to pick them up.