Sign in to follow this  
Graw2Pro

Why I stopped playing Arma 2

Arma is rubbish - the developers appear not to have played the game.

It has huge potential but its flaws make it a big joke and a pointless waste of time.

I wasted many hours learning this game and trying to manage and control the idiotic AI.

The main problems are that the AI refuses to follow simple orders and cannot navigate the map independently in vehicles without getting stuck.

Also the AI spots you almost through any tiny gap in bushes.

Taking cover does not work properly and lieing in grass is dumb because you cant see anything.

Playing realistically and strategically does not work just makes you waste more time.

When under fire the AI calls out useless directions.

The various other weaknesses which everyone is only too familiar with make the game a big joke.

Notice how no-one plays the CTI with AI, people just go solo - shows just how realistic the game is.

I have had enough of making excuses for this dumb game. IT could have been so good.

But instead flaws which could easily be fixed make it a big joke. Why dont they just fix some the problems with the AI, the cover, the AI driving, the fact that grass blocks your view but leaves you visible from distance, the pointlessness of playing stealth mode when the AI will immediately spot you even if you re laying stationery against a camoflouged background?

This may be a rant, but I put the time into this game and it did not deserve it.

Its not realistic, its poor and badly designed - face up to it.

I know the post wont make me popular but this is the forum in which to express it. Maybe the developers will release a new patch. Because as I said this game has HUGE potential.

It has huge potential but its flaws make it a big joke and a pointless waste of time.

I wasted many hours learning this game and trying to manage and control the idiotic AI.

Points 1 and 2) I assume you are a pro game designer with many years of experience and high volume sales under your belt? Also let me add to this by saying when you ask "why don't they just fix the ai"...a) because it is difficult to fix any bug let alone ai ones. If it was a simple as just releasing a quick fix don't you think they would have done it by now or do you think they are doing it just to "waste your time"? b) if it is so easy then make the ai fix yourself...the tools are all out there for you.

Point 3...this probably says more about your mental abilities than the game.

Point 4) And i am also assuming you a member of the armed forces of where ever you are from who has experience of military tactics and combat situations?

Edited by Aeneas2020

Well considering your User Name OP you are apparently a professional with flawed product so I'll be sure to take your assessment for what it's worth.;)

Although Arma 2 is the best army simulation currently available. It has fundamental flaws which should have been addressed by now.

Haha, what a joke.

Also the AI spots you almost through any tiny gap in bushes.

You will need to adjust your tatics.

Taking cover does not work properly and lieing in grass is dumb because you cant see anything.

Hahaha. Well, i do see a lot when in prone... Thats nonsense.

Playing realistically and strategically does not work just makes you waste more time.

Now this one really make me laugh A LOT. What you need is some practice, better tatics etc.

When under fire the AI calls out useless directions.

True, but there are mods that can deactivate that for you.

I have had enough of making excuses for this dumb game. IT could have been so good.

Just make no more excuses, and stop entering the game.

the pointlessness of playing stealth mode when the AI will immediately spot you even if you re laying stationery against a camoflouged background?

Another one, practice and better tactics.

This may be a rant, but I put the time into this game and it did not deserve it.

Face up to it, this game is not for you. Period.

Strong words of criticism perhaps, but something the community needs to face up to and stop glossing over.

Its not 2001 anymore, its 2010 and simulation gamers expect a much higher standard of product.

Strong words of criticism perhaps, but something the community needs to face up to and stop glossing over.

Its not 2001 anymore, its 2010 and simulation gamers expect a much higher standard of product.

Bye :)

I love a good sim, which is probably why ARMA2 is the only game on my PC that was created after 2003

It's not perfect, but it's not fundamentally flawed.

Bye. :)

While you are leaving you can still dream about an flawless working adaptive AI in a dynamic world for consumer market and hardware. ;)

For sure bugs and issue with AI will be hopefully solved and implemented in one of the next (beta) patches. For example the current "AI get stuck danger stasis"...

I agree. It has serious potential, but I'm really disappointed with delivery. This C&C style crap is annoying and all the srs bsns 1337 9001 people who play online just play chicken in helicopters or kill each other over who gets to fly the damn thing (BF2 wut?) the whole time from what I've seen.

I'll stick around though, if all the issues that I have with it (single player only for me) get fixed, then i think it'll be one hell of an experience, and that number of issues is continuing to decline.

I just dont see what you see, I love this sim, yeah it has some flaws but that is a tiny proportion compared to the abilities it has. I dont play any other because quite simply there is nothing to compare with Arma 2

I agree. It has serious potential, but I'm really disappointed with delivery. This C&C style crap is annoying and all the srs bsns 1337 9001 people who play online just play chicken in helicopters or kill each other over who gets to fly the damn thing (BF2 wut?) the whole time from what I've seen.

So your blaming BIS for how people are playing their game, wtf :confused:

Btw you should stop play Domination ;)

"stop glossing over??".. who the hell says that?... :S

Does he affiliate with lip gloss or summit :S

Tend to agree with the OP on many points.

There are mods out there to overcome most of them but the question is , why is a mod necessary? The developers should have realized the problems and corrected them themselves instead of relying on the community to overcome the short falls.

Hoping the new expansion pack will correct a lot (or most) of these problems.

Meantime , since there's nothing out there that even comes close to ArmA2's tactical approach , I play and enjoy what I can.

So your blaming BIS for how people are playing their game, wtf :confused:

Btw you should stop play Domination ;)

Perhaps I should have used a relevant example, you are correct. But you know what I'm getting at. :)

If you stopped playing it I see no need for a thread.