Sign in to follow this  
Sulu_03

Arma2TS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GddMutj4I2E

Speaking danish, but shortly demonstrates it. So nice!!!

A bug= We cant copypaste anything in windows while playing. :) It shows up like this:[bwf_arma2ts][3D]{1[0.2,-0.4,0][CD]}{12[0.4,-0.4,0][CD]}{2[0.1,-0.3,0][CD]}[/bwf_arma2ts]1

Edited by MugAben

Yes client side only !

What server is having trouble ?

Arma or TS ?

Arma. But we did some more testing and couldnt recreate the problem.

Changes done:

Updated ACE

Still, I experienced some small lagg for a couple of seconds from the unit that died. But otherwise it seems to work now.

Copy/paste is not a bug :)

The main process is actually using the windows clipboard.

If you look at the picture i posted in the first page, you will see two little sign about this point.

Thanks for the video ! :yay:

We are uploading a new version with a working .bikey

[edit]

Version with working .bikey uploaded.

Edited by Le_CuLtO

Copy/paste is not a bug :)

The main process is actually using the windows clipboard.

If you look at the picture i posted in the first page, you will see two little sign about this point.

I see. Roger! :)

@Le_CuLtO

When you update, please rename the file so I know which version I have. Or add a .version-file :)

don't miss the electronic warfare capabilities :

- scanning frequencies inside the range of the radio used in order to catch the enemy freqs ( so do not forget to change freqs ). once and if the freq is catched by the scan a goniometer give bearing to the source .

that allow to setup a new player class : the comm officer with a true role ( wearing the long range radio , scanning , broadcast order , give transmission , relay informations , decipher enemy communications , spy enemy intelligence , locate enemy positions )

Edited by BWF-Patryn

in fact for small radios . it seems that 500 m is more realistic than 2000 m. and create the need (as in reality) to have one radio operator with long radio if want to split a tactical forces and still be able to manage them . As in reality .

Ok before you say what fact is, know your facts. The biggest thing that gets use military guys here, is people who go off saying what the facts are when they one, do not have the background or experience on the topic, and try to tell people how it is. That would be like me taking forensics advice from a damn plumber. I have 2 piss poor hand held two ways that work further than 500meters.

@Sulu

Thank you for your mod. This is an amazing feet, and regardless of it being in french I love it, even if it is client side and not a mission script. Honestly I find that way better than being a mission script as I feel that might put more load on the server, but I might be wrong. I find it better as you mentioned, and even if a mission script I would believe you would still have to download the TS3 plug-in, so if you have to download it anyway, might as well just have a client side download for the game mod. Good work.

As Miller, and myself have already stated. Your short range radio should have a several mile range. Also your long range radios are used normally at the platoon level by a RTO and the Platoon Leader to communicate with higher. The short range radios are perfect for the squad leaders to talk to the platoon leader, and maybe even with the fire team leaders. Again I somewhat understand the need for balance Patryn is somewhat focused on, even though his claims are inaccurate. With that and after much in game testing, we felt that 1.5 kilometers (1500m) would be a good balance.

Also please change the PRC-77 range to 8000m from 10000m, and add in the PRC-119 and have it set to 10000m. Though this might be a bit higher with the ground factor, I believe it also accounts for a short range on the short range radio (even if changed to 1500m), and allows for the use in vehicles. You could even set it so that maybe the PRC-77 is 6 kilometers, PRC-119 is 8 kilometers, vehicles on ground are 10 kilometers, and aircraft radios have a 12 kilometer range. If this is not possible I would recommend once again, (a recommendation coming from the 80% of the 3rdMD membership who is US/UK/CA military that it remain at the current range of 10 kilometers if it can not be set per device.

If possible per a earlier recommendation, it might be nice to have different static sounds, getting louder as the distance increases. I have many guys in military and military communication experience in the 3rdMD, and would be glad to do a lot of testing for you to get this or anything else right and balanced.

Thank you for your work again Sulu. So my background is known I am currently a Military Police Officer in the United States Army. So myself along with my other member who replied earlier are speaking with the backing of RL experience.

Also I know your English is not perfect, but if you do not mind I am working on a pdf guide in English to more clearly explain how this functions (as many get confused and think they are automatically talking when broadcasting), along with help with the install and key binding.

Edited by Alderman
English Guide

Sorry I'm asking but search function found nothing for 'back, behind, 3D' words.

We noticed that sound mapping is only in stereo. No surround mapping.

It is limitation of current version or we forgot about something.

Note, that we are 3D enabled in TS3 settings.

Best regards

BTW: Amazing addition!!

I understand that 500 meter is not enough.

But, for gameplay reason, i believe that going over 1000m for the short range radio is a mistake. (to make long range radio usefull)

In real world, short range radio certainly transmit over 1000 m but in real world, HQ is not located at 1000m from fireteam.

New version with 1000 m for short range and the ACE_PRC119 is supported is uploaded.

For the stereo sound, we used the 3D sound feature. If the sound is only stereo, i'm not sure we can do better...

It's a teamspeak limitation.

Got some wonderful ideas hope to implement in the future.

Including:

Terrain interference (actually not that hard to get line of sight terrain profiles)

Multi-channel radio nets

Different radio net types (analog, digital, satellite)

Jamming

Frequency Hopping (using pseudo random number generators and seeds, if you can freq scan, better make it so they can't get too much out of you!).

Radio-telephony networks over digital radio nets.

Basically the possibilites are endless for creating an incredibly realistic radio simulation. :D Epic.

^^Wow sounds fantastic Nouber. Also this addon sounds awesome as well. Looking forward to play with this in OA. I guess by then its updated to a neater addon and my pc atm bugged out on me anyway so... :)

For the stereo sound, we used the 3D sound feature. If the sound is only stereo, i'm not sure we can do better...

It's a teamspeak limitation.

OK. We are waiting for some investigation reports or so. TS3 is able to positioning sound in surround environment. Your plugin is able to position it to left or right and oposite if talking person is behind us.

So maybe it is a small bug.

best regards

My point is just that, though, yes your HQ is not that far from a fire team, but normally a dismounted infantry unit has a long range radio at the platoon level, and in rare cases the squad level.

Platoon HQ

----1st Squad

-------1st Fireteam

-------2nd Fireteam

-------3rd Fireteam

----2nd Squad

-------1st Fireteam

-------2nd Fireteam

-------3rd Fireteam

----3rd Squad

-------1st Fireteam

-------2nd Fireteam

-------3rd Fireteam

Though I think I just need to spend my time working with someone who understands operation structure more. It appears your making this for small grounds and making it so there is more of a purpose of using a long range vs short range with small elements only, which to much degree doesn't make tactical sense.

I guess the gameplay that many RL military guys use in units like the 3rd is more on par with the RL application as it fits to in game.

@Nou,

I would love to see if us guys at the 3rd could give any assistance in your testing, as many of my guys (being military) love where you are looking to go with this.

@MaxYM

We update positions in [x,y,z] coordinates.

We can't do anything else. If teamspeak 3 really support surround with 3D sounds, I think there is a problem with your teamspeak configuration.

Try to manually move people on teamspeak (right click on your channel, setup 3D sound, move people around you).

Do you have surround when you do that ?

You can try in the teamspeak forums too.

http://forum.teamspeak.com/search.php?searchid=3858133

Edited by Le_CuLtO

OK. I asked about it to confirm if surround positioning works or not. And want your answer only. If you say it does - OK. I will do some investigations.

This behaviour has been noticed not only be me but by various people from our portal. I can hear 3D positioning in TS3 3D settings. Maybe it depends on some other settings. I'll check it again tomorrow because it's worth it.

Thank you.

We in Swedish Strategic Group (http://www.sss-clan.se) tried it today with two full fireteams (6 man squads) and it was awesome!

We played for almost 5 hours straight with the addon.

What we felt needs to be changed/fixed are the following:

1) Make the radio Push To Talk (both long and short) instead of toggle radio on/off as it is now. We mean - you should hold the button down to send, when you release to stop sending.

2) Make the short range radio a bit stronger, maybe 700 meters.

3) Make the static noise become louder when you go further away from each other on the short range radio - and when you pass the limit you only hear static.

4) You have made 5 presets for the radio frequencies - we want to be able to select preset via the keyboard since this addon is almost impossible to use for AirCorps (pilots) if they have to switch channels.

5) *edit* Is it possible to make CARS with radios sound on TS. So that the person sending on a Long Range Radio can be heard from outside a vehicle - this way you will hear if someone is sending to you if you do not have a backpack.

Or maybe you can make the radio accessible from outside the car? Like the backpacks?

6) *edit* the GMV HMMWVs radio does not work.

Now for a small bug

Sometimes you can hear people who are several hundred meters away as if they are standing next to you - it is almost like the addon stops working for a few seconds but the 3D positioning in TeamSpeak 3 is still active. So people are sending in my left ear, but I should not be able to hear them.

GREAT ADDON! We love it :D

Edited by Pellejones

I started to add new features to the plugin.

Currently done functions:

3D => the 3D sound function (used by the radio addon)

GetPlayerID => return the player teamspeak ID (used by the radio addon)

GetPlayerIDFromName => You give the player name, the plugin returns the teamspeak ID (need the exact name of the player)

GetVersion => returns the plugin version

ConnectToServer => connect to the specified teamspeak server

GetCurrentChannelID => returns the current channel ID

GetChannelIDFromName => You give channel name, the plugin returns the ID (exact name needed)

SwitchPlayer => switch player to a specific channel

We will release a doc when we will upload the new plugin version.

If you need other functions, tell us ! We will add them ( if it is possible :p )

Edited by Le_CuLtO

By setting variable bwf_debug at true you will get some flooding and annoying debug informations.

Put :

bwf_debug=!bwf_debug;

in a trigger radio to be abble to switch in debug mod.

Then you will (maybe :p) see where the probleme is.

I second Pellejones' report and suggestions.

Realism suggestion: Most Personal Role Radios (PRRs) have an open-ground range of ~1000 meters. Things like hills, buildings, and so on decrease range for line of sight transmission reasons; they're after all not very powerful systems. For the short-range radio, given the reduced space in ArmA 2 compared to the real world, a 700-750 meter short-range radio range is recommended. Edit: I hear your concerns (posted earlier) with regards to making the long range radios useful in-game, but those will be useful for people who want to use them, operating widely separated teams. Those who don't really care or are running a tightly tied together operation will just use the short range radios anyways.

"Scaling static" (further away you are/closer you are to maximum range, the more static) would be very useful. Alternatively - or even in addition to this - you can reduce the volume of the transmission at maximum ranges and/or implement a 1/2 second "cut out" in the transmission. This would mesh with my experience with the radios I've used. I would recommend the "cut outs" and volume reduction and/or loud static be used only *at* or *past* the 750 meter mark for the Short Range Radio.

Improving the range of presets will be handy. Perhaps something defineable via a UserConfig? This would accomodate players who play as riflemen, subunit leaders, unit leaders, pilots, et cetera. I don't need a dozen presets if I'm only playing as a section leader, but if I'm commanding a platoon + air I need a fair few. That said, five presets accomodates a Command, Section 1, Section 2, Section 3, and Supporting Assets frequency - but it's always good to provide more options, if it can be done reliably.

I love the potential for electronic warfare. Very good!

In terms of realism, typically unit commanders only talk to each other. It's up to the subunit commander to talk to the guys subordinate to him. The structure therefore looks like, using simple three digit frequency sets for the purpose of the example:

350: Company level comms. (Company commander + Platoon commanders)

351: 1 Platoon inter-com. (1 Platoon Leader + Section leaders. Typically the short range radios, with the long range linking to 350)

351.1 (example): Short range radio frequency for 1 Section 1 Platoon's PRRs.

352: 2 Platoon inter-com

352.3 (as 351.1, but for 2 Platoon's 3 Section)

353: 3 Platoon inter-com

354: 4 Platoon inter-com

Question do you plan support for non-ACE manpack radios, should such addons be made in the future?

Normally from your platoon you have squads (or what you call sections) and then 3 fire teams of 4 per squad (section). Normally only your platoon HQ will have a Radio Operator who sticks with the Platoon Commander/Leader. Btw the in-game radio is a PRC-148. Look in your map and the radio that shows up ;) , and its range is greater than 1000m. Though I still feel a slight increase in range instead of a drastic increase (which would be more realistic) would be better, especially if we add in the effects of distance on the radio.

If this is done though, it would be great to have a way to setup re-trans.

Just wondering whether those functions are in game ones that you plan, or simply teamspeak3 functions, which in either case shouldn't you be able to link the two?

Ie I could link a team status dialog with team speak 3 so it adds units to certain groups (channels).

For example, I join teamspeak 3 server, I join relative gaming server, I join B-1-1-A, and it automatically moves me to that channel with that name, I then move groups to another channel, and it moves me there.

That isn't what I want you to do, I Just want to know where the functions are being written. ;)

cheers,

Romm

I'd say make the short range as easy to use as push to talk, otherwise it seems more awkward than standard TS.

I agree with Pellejones push to talk would be nicer. (And more realistic)