Sign in to follow this  
sn1per

Us suffer heavy losses in afganistan?

Besides, estimates of enemy losses have always been innacurate. Murphys Combat Laws tell us that calculating enemy losses goes something like this: 4 guerrillas +2 huts +3 pigs +a probable = 37 Enemy KIA

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ April 10 2002,08:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><Snip>

Quote from sn1per: "Or then they blow up some restaurant and tell everyone how great warriors they are. Losers."

When did the Taliban blow up some restauraunt?  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I think he might be referring to the assassination attempt yesterday on the country's acting defense minister. Whoever planted the bomb placed it inside an electrical generator in front of a restaurant that the minister's convoy was passing by.

Yes a AH64 will quite likely survive an encounter with a RPG, but its not general practise to send the choppers back in full of holes or leaking. The point was that with a majority of the A/C grounded, less are available for support.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ April 10 2002,01:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sure the media has no morals, but in times of war the mainstream media can and will be told just what they are allowed to do and what not to do by the leader of the country in question.<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe in other countries, but in the US the media is Constitutionally protected, and the government can only 'request' that the media cooperate with them on keeping things quiet.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ April 10 2002,01:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ April 10 2002,08:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><Snip>

Quote from sn1per: "Or then they blow up some restaurant and tell everyone how great warriors they are. Losers."

When did the Taliban blow up some restauraunt?  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I think he might be referring to the assassination attempt yesterday on the country's acting defense minister. Whoever planted the bomb placed it inside an electrical generator in front of a restaurant that the minister's convoy was passing by.<span id='postcolor'>

Ah okay thanks, I wasnt aware of this

Well Tex if the Government told the media not to report on something because it could for example, jeopardise thousands of lives, would the media report on that something?

When the President of the United States knocks on your door and tells you not to do something, i dont think there are many people that would be willing to refuse outright and do exactly what he told them not to do biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ April 10 2002,09:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif2--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ April 10 2002,01wow.gif2)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ April 10 2002,08:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><Snip>

I think he might be referring to the assassination attempt yesterday on the country's acting defense minister. Whoever planted the bomb placed it inside an electrical generator in front of a restaurant that the minister's convoy was passing by.<span id='postcolor'>

Ah okay thanks, I wasnt aware of this<span id='postcolor'>

http://cnn.com/2002....ex.html

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ April 09 2002,17:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well Tex if the Government told the media not to report on something because it could for example, jeopardise thousands of lives, would the media report on that something?

When the President of the United States knocks on your door and tells you not to do something, i dont think there are many people that would be willing to refuse outright and do exactly what he told them not to do  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

you don't pay much attention to the media in the U.S. do you heh they talk about leaked classified pentagon documents that the government has told them don't talk about it and they still do it. the media loves to piss the government off because they can do nothing about it.

Well Tex if the Government told the media not to report on something because it could for example, jeopardise thousands of lives, would the media report on that something?

how could reporting casualties risk any lives?? reporting movements.. yea.. palns DEFANITLY.. but the results of a battle that has already taken place.. naa..

besides.. a story that juicy woud NEVER be able to be kept under the table.. not this day in age.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ April 10 2002,02:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well Tex if the Government told the media not to report on something because it could for example, jeopardise thousands of lives, would the media report on that something?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes. You don't know the American media, do you. biggrin.gif

None of the currently available choppers are likely to survive an encounter with RPG. RPGs were designed to take out tanks it will blow any chopper to pieces, even KA-52.

And the source of these news is www.strana.ru which is so full of crap is nort even funny. They usually publish news like

" Britney Spears is dead" and "I had sex with a Martian" tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ April 10 2002,05:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">None of the currently available choppers are likely to survive an encounter with RPG. RPGs were designed to take out tanks it will blow any chopper to pieces, even KA-52.

And the source of these news is www.strana.ru which is so full of crap is nort even funny. They usually publish news like

" Britney Spears is dead" and "I had sex with a Martian"  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

depends on where the chopper gets hit. In Somalia a MH60 got hit by an RPG and was able to make an emergency landing. Also, what makes the KA52 special? Its a recon chopper, so why would it be more likely to survive an RPG than any other chopper?

Since when was Ka-52 a recon chopper?

It is true attack chopper and its got most advanced armour out of all the attack choppers u can read it at www.fas.org

And how do u know about MH-60? Have u been in Mogadisho in 1993? wink.gif

this is a bull-shit report. first, if 100 spec-ops were KIA, no media would shutup. Al-Zazeera would be on it, even at extreme situation. speaking of Russian media, I guess they are sour after seeing US topple whatever gov't that was in Afghanistan, when they spent nearly 10 yrs and sustained heavy casualty.

speaking of guerrila war, mountains are great place for such. however, you have to know that it could work in both ways. US troops were roaming Afghanstan when the war started. and did these men get captured? nope.

AFAIK, reason why Russia couldn't win was because every Afghansitan ppl were enemy. For US, a lot less. AFAIK, the interim prime minister is from Pashutun tribe. although Northern Alliance and it's associates got bigger share after Taliban's fall, Pashutuns make up 40% of population, and since the PM is a moderate one, I don't see the reasoning of article to be sound.

the crucial point of US being able to get rid of terrorist organization is how ppl's lives are sustained. if Afghanistanies get increase in quality of life, they will support current gov't, and turn against whoever is causing rockus.

the RPG's that downed UH-60 in somalia have different warhead then the regular RPG.

and RPG that'll hit a chopper wont do a thing to it unless it hit really sensitive parts. why?

because the HEAT need the resistance of the armour to be effective. the thin aluminium skin will give no resistance and as a result all u'll get is 2" hole. no vaccum effect no nothing.

that's the reason that AA missiles have fragment warhead but AT missile are HEAT.

thats also the reason that there is no effective AA/AT missile. the requirments are different.

"OKAY, heres the deal. The report specifically says "Special Forces". That means Green Berets, etc. Although the 10th Mountain Division considers itself an "elite" unit, and they are pretty good, but they are a REGULAR army unit. Therefore, either the reporter got bad information, or he or his source are lying. Notice the biased nature of the report, and you can obviously tell that the reporter got his info only from the guerrillas side."

No where does it say that it was Green Berets or whatever. Heck, in some media the guys that went in and during the Black Hawk Down incident were refered to as special forces. And they were quite many in the end. The fact is, media will slap any label on any written piece to get more attention and more readers.

RPG rounds differ.. if a HEAT round his an thin alminium chopper it will pass through it.. not exploding.. if a true RPG hits it (rocket propelled grenade then it will explode on ANY contact.. and then there is a world of trouble..

as for the report itself..

its envy, the US is doing a similar feat to what the USSR attempted and is not only succeeding but doing so at a few hundredths of the amount of casualties.. (sa far)

reason enough..

RPG=HEAT okay?

both has shaped charge, because of this problem the somalis were taught to shoot at the tail rotor, cause if u hit it the chopper goes down.......NOW!

Then again one could also question any Taleban casualties...

Well, not really, all that hi-tech gear Americans have will certainly get them some hits.

(Just that it´s hard to tell between women, children and guerillas when you look at them through some aircraft targeting system...);)

By the way it´s interesting how media uses terms "terrorist" and "guerilla", anyone here know the difference between them?

wow.gif5--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wobble @ April 10 2002,09wow.gif5)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">RPG rounds differ.. if a HEAT round his an thin alminium chopper it will pass through it.. not exploding.. if a true RPG hits it (rocket propelled grenade then it will explode on ANY contact.. and then there is a world of trouble..<span id='postcolor'>

RPG is the same as HEAT.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

as for the report itself..

its envy, the US is doing a similar feat to what the USSR attempted and is not only succeeding but doing so at a few hundredths of the amount of casualties.. (sa far)

reason enough..<span id='postcolor'>

I think also that the report is BS. But Wobble: The Soviet Union took Afganistan in one week. The problem is not to occupy it. The problem is to hold it. If you think that this is over now when the cities are under US control, I think you are sadly mistaken. The recent operation Anaconda was an example of it. There is obviously a big difference between the current NATO involvement and the former Soviet. NATO has much fewer ground units in the area, and they are the vulerable ones. Any yahoo hiding with a gun behind a rock kan kill a soldier. Anybody with a stinger missile can take out a low flying helo. The Russians were there in greater numbers and were more involved = more casulties.

Same with the US and Vietnam, if you recall that one.

I always thought that there were many different types of RPG ammo?

I'm not sure about this, but I don't believe many shoulder-launched anti-tank rockets are reloadable.

Can anyone who knows more on this subject clarify this ?

Is the RPG in OF reloadable in battlefield ?

Is the AT4 in OF reloadable in battlefield ?

Is the LAW ?

Is the Carl Gustav ?

the LAW is one shot disposable. The Russian RPG in operation flashpoint is also of the one shot disposable variety.

I THINK the other 2 can be re-loaded in the field

Numerous helicopters have been downed with RPG-7's in the past, I dont see whats so unlikely about some Apaches being taken down. Of course if they were moving full speed across the sky the it isnt likely.

Speaking of an RPG 7, wouldnt that be the BEST weapon for resistance in OFP? Damn BIS should add it smile.gif