Sign in to follow this  
arb

Afghanistan Green Zone 10km Island WIP

Nice FOB soldier. Really really nice actually. Good progress Arb. I'm happy to see it.

thanks bud! i plan to release these for everyone to enjoy when done, i also have all the SOM and AMC modules fully working on the map!..oh and when you call in artillery it comes strait out of the fob(reall artillery pieces fire)! im also working on that "hire" script, making it so u can go to the infantry type fob and enlist units under your command! iv played for an entire day with no missions just using my bases template(what i posted pics of) and the SOM module! great fun.

@arb, sorry bud back on topic. this is truely the map i have been waiting for, it has me checking this site early in the morning before work just to see if new pics have been posted! its kinda sad really!:D and well today i have no work at all, so i guess ill have no life today either haha

My knowledge of Helmand is limited, but I think the best area would be an area deep in the green zone with maybe one FOB and maybe a PB as well.

That would be my personal best outcome for an Afghan map.

Yeah I agree. I think you should keep the map as you have it no, and add like a FOB on the outer edge of the map, and mabye 1 or 2 PBs inside the actual green zone. That would be epic!

Maps looking great. As stated, Bastion type thing on the edge of the map as cool as it may be could dwarf it, and im sure we dont want the camp to over-shadow the map

Lashkar-Gah-PRT.jpg

But from a brit perspective it would be great to wack bastion in, as would it be to put in a PB or two about, I think whatever is decided we all will be more than happy with the end result! :) Keep up the good work.

i'm back after a weekend at the coast.

Started work on the new location... almost completed the satellite image...

Shin Kalay Village:

4395795443_78e31bbb1d_o.jpg

Possible FOB location within the Green Zone:

4396562458_f79b4b2a57_o.jpg

New location will still have the river plus alot more desert:

4395800803_eed5f539ea_o.jpg

There will also be more smaller villages:

4395797101_0e9a38627a_o.jpg

That FOB location looks spot on mate! Right in the thick of it.

The whole map looks mega, keep up the effort!

Wow, this looks really great. The Bastion looks positively amazing, and that would be a great hotspot for some ArmA 2 conflict.

Keep up the great work!

wow sweet bro! would love to see more then 2 bases tho, maby 1 main\air base, 1-2 midsize fob, and maby 1-2 small patrol bases! but yeah that location looks perfect to launch daily town patrols..and would be a perfect are to have large engagments around that fob as it gives alot of hiding places for the enemy..giving a more real and indepth feel, not too mention it would also make you work as a team more(with AI or Players)!

Opteryx is AWOL and unlikely to reappear anytime soon... He DIDN'T want his stuff ported to Arma2, so there are limits to how far his stuff can actually be used...

FYI arb, you may not need permission to use Opteryx buildings, plants and misc.

If those 3 OPX ArmA1 files are said to be required (NOT rolled up into YOUR terrain pbo) then nothing of Opteryx is modified.

See http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=95944

To use with Visitor3, just DePBO the 3 files into P drive.

(I haven't checked too hard for possible errors btw)

Nice terrain ! :yay:

wow sweet bro! would love to see more then 2 bases tho, maby 1 main\air base, 1-2 midsize fob, and maby 1-2 small patrol bases! but yeah that location looks perfect to launch daily town patrols..and would be a perfect are to have large engagments around that fob as it gives alot of hiding places for the enemy..giving a more real and indepth feel, not too mention it would also make you work as a team more(with AI or Players)!

An airbase is overkill...

1- There is no real life airbase in the location arb is portraying nad no one would ever build one there

2- Airbases are HUGE, having one on the map would take up a large percentage of the map

3- Airbases are usually main bases in a region and therefore don't need FOBs and PBs near by

4- Having an Airbase, 2 FOBS and 2 PBs in a 10km would make it impossible to set up a Taliban stronghold area without it being too close to an ISAF base.

It would be nice to have these, but its just not feasable on this map.

1- There is no real life airbase in the location arb is portraying nad no one would ever build one there

2- Airbases are HUGE, having one on the map would take up a large percentage of the map

3- Airbases are usually main bases in a region and therefore don't need FOBs and PBs near by

4- Having an Airbase, 2 FOBS and 2 PBs in a 10km would make it impossible to set up a Taliban stronghold area without it being too close to an ISAF base.

Ye I agree, but we are getting some helipads rite? haha ;D

100% agree

The Island looks great! Been waiting for an Afghan or Iraqi map! I'm using the caa1 project for that now but keep up the good work this is just what Arma II needs!

Im so sick of all who just fly and bomb the shit out of the map. So if you play as infantry there is nothing to do cuz all Air has nuked the entire map 10 times over and over again.

Better to have Arty/mortar that a radioman has to call in with some kind of time LIMITED?

I know this is a long-shot, but as a bit of a follow-up to warden308's post, can we please just have no placed FOBs on the map? It's not difficult to include a couple of scripts that can be initialised on mission-start to allow us to decide between having the FOBs or not, but if there's one thing I dislike about maps, it's having specific bases in weird places that you can't remove.

Pretty much the only thing I dislike, for example, about IceBreaker's Duala is SBP Camp Noobia - it kinda 'spoils' Afrenian countryside, and prevents you working out certain scenarios. FOBs aren't complex structures, they're easy enough to place in the editor, even relatively large ones, but the option to not have them at all is incredibly beneficial to the imaginative mission-maker.

I know this is a long-shot, but as a bit of a follow-up to warden308's post, can we please just have no placed FOBs on the map? It's not difficult to include a couple of scripts that can be initialised on mission-start to allow us to decide between having the FOBs or not, but if there's one thing I dislike about maps, it's having specific bases in weird places that you can't remove.

Pretty much the only thing I dislike, for example, about IceBreaker's Duala is SBP Camp Noobia - it kinda 'spoils' Afrenian countryside, and prevents you working out certain scenarios. FOBs aren't complex structures, they're easy enough to place in the editor, even relatively large ones, but the option to not have them at all is incredibly beneficial to the imaginative mission-maker.

Yeah I see where you're coming from.

But I'd personally like a simple, basic FOB not specific to country (Like Camp Noobia was) just for ease of use, so we can start up the editor, chuck some units in and get playing. This means we don't have to worry about accurate placement of walls, wire and fortifications.

Just my opinion.

But I'd personally like a simple, basic FOB not specific to country (Like Camp Noobia was) just for ease of use, so we can start up the editor, chuck some units in and get playing. This means we don't have to worry about accurate placement of walls, wire and fortifications.

Just my opinion.

agreed

If someone has already made a base,FOB, etc in the editor it's no big deal to just merge that "mission" with your own... a coupla clicks... and then you have a ready made base you can just relocate to wherever you want...

I agree with those above who worry about having such things "hardwired" onto the terrain... "ruined forts" = yes - it's part of the landscape... FOB's etc - maybe not...

The ideal situation would be if several of say, soldier2390's editor-based bases etc were actually bundled with the island - giving you readymade bases in preferred locations with a simple merge, or providing basic bases :) which the mission editor can modify or relocate easily without having to mess with individual bits of barbed wire, etc...

B

Just my opinion.

agreed

yeah i see you point but at the same time it sucks not beable to launch aircraft from a map(and only having them fly in) i know thiers none in this direct area, as i know about this location in rl! and maby i may have suggested too many bases but just one or 2 lil bases suck when u want to incorporate large movement in an area!

also to have appropriate size fobs would automaticly take up alot of room(and i prefer only acurate style bases(which are large in rl even for smaller ones..compared to arma maps anyways), so no offence but some base's ppl make are not accurate, and for a map that is going to be very accurate to its exact location in RL(i know i say this, but suggest large airstrip:()

so i think there should be none at all unless its going to be as acurate as possible for arma2..so please no a1 hesccos they suck, and no arma1 barracks either i like to see new a2 stuff in our new a2!

if you need any help with creating fobs or anyother style bases let me know! im not trying to say to ppl im some kinda fob expert, as im not im know about what anyone who severed in the military knows(so i do know AB's are the main base in regians but like iv been saying only 1-2 bases on a map sucks as i know this aint real life its arma, but with only a few bases you get itred of it after a while..meaning no more missions to make as everybody will be make them all the same!..but still also the bases need to have alot of room(making them bigger sucks for most of you guys but have fun with your AI in lil bases)..now that i do know about for sure:D, as iv build hundreds of bases throught my yrs in arma\ofp!

anyways good luck and hope this turns out good, its still my fav map and always will be..even with small bases :D and i hope if you do another map you do one with a hugh area(having an airbase in it somewhere)..so my only suggestion is tarin-kowt! i think its perfect in opinion!

EDIT: sorry missed afew of your guys posts and i would like to say, the idea of having them as sqf scripts so u can place in your init. to either load them or not(but they still come included in the map, just they dont so up unless u allow them via script!), i know im way off suggestion large are bases but we need something with large landing zones atleast like in my one pic? our ah-64d's have to have some where to start, i can do awy with the planes now that i think of it! but like i was saying with large bases..i say that too cause they need room for large amounts of vehicles..like keep in mind tank platoons..not just 3-4 either, and armored infantry companys(not just hangers..but large empty lots\parking spaces) and large areas to place artillery detachments! but again this needs to be big mostly for the fact so AI can move around properly(so i suggest alot of roads throw the bases and paths..as seen in my pics a few pages back..as they help ALOT!

instead of my posting more of my own bases pics(unless u guys want them for ref.) i can find good pics of real ones just to give ideas of what i mean in my post! i can also make bases better when i have the land to work with..and even better when i have a real location and real bases to model it exactly after! so if you need bases made a specific way let me know, i can try to recreate it!

Dave,

Edited by soldier2390

Yes I agree it would be great to have a tonne of FOBs and airbases but you can't have that many on a 10k map, especially as you have requested large, realistic FOBs, you'd only have about 2 metres between each FOB.

What I'm trying to say is that yes, an Afghan map with a load of realistic big bases offering an amazing variety of types and roles. However, on THIS map it is just not sensible to have an airbase and 4 smaller outposts as no matter where you had an engagement you'd always be insight of an ISAF base.

What I think is best is a larger, main FOB on the outskirts, with one or two smaller PBs deep within the greenzone.

The ideal situation would be if several of say, soldier2390's editor-based bases etc were actually bundled with the island - giving you readymade bases in preferred locations with a simple merge, or providing basic bases :) which the mission editor can modify or relocate easily without having to mess with individual bits of barbed wire, etc...

That's got my vote, 100%. :thumbsup:

Yes I agree it would be great to have a tonne of FOBs and airbases but you can't have that many on a 10k map, especially as you have requested large, realistic FOBs, you'd only have about 2 metres between each FOB.

What I'm trying to say is that yes, an Afghan map with a load of realistic big bases offering an amazing variety of types and roles. However, on THIS map it is just not sensible to have an airbase and 4 smaller outposts as no matter where you had an engagement you'd always be insight of an ISAF base.

What I think is best is a larger, main FOB on the outskirts, with one or two smaller PBs deep within the greenzone.

yeah bro i agree, i keep forgeting its only 10k haha! but i think like you, by having 1 larger fob\with maby a big helo zone(not too big but like the size of mine, as it would give areas for an ah64 fleet, which operate in the area(not exactly that location but my cusin says they do provide cover for that area!) infact im not sure but it may even be the apaches from my cusins base that provides support for this AO, which would be an honor for me as its the 82nd's(my cusins unit) and dutch helos that do it!

for the fob with possible lading zones, i would suggest not only making it a square area(like in my pic..as i had no chosse as its a pred-difened area i had to work with), but like most the bend and sometimes circle the base..with just enough area for the to be parked..with a small road behind them which they use to taxi out and on too..(Example in the Video below)

as in rl i can tell you helos rarely take off from bases strait up..as most taxi and glide down the runway..and i know this for fact as in the usaf even tho i was csar i worked on flightlines alot..dircting helos\planes! so again these are only tips and ideas, and i completly offer my self to this mod and anyone who things they can use my lil but somewhat usefull knewledge

BTW, if anyone knows how to make already made bases(mission.sqm-in the standered 2d editor) into a mission.sqf(or some kinda script) so as i can make my bases apear ingame but not in the editor(after i made them of course) so as all the objects dont clutter and confuse the mission makers, which i mush say my bases are good and all, but only if you good at working around them lol!

a vid that at the begining shows what i mean by the parking spaces with taxi type roads!, i wouldnt expect a hugh one like this in your map, but maby something simular that the ah-64d's and chinooks can park..and take off at! maby with a big space for a re-fuling\re-arming and repain area..can just be a blank area with lots of ammo boxs other things from in the editor to make it look nice and pretty lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20S9y2MI_hI

Edited by soldier2390