Sign in to follow this  
Minoza

Sahrani ACE2 Evolution Blue WIP

im on xfire now if youre about

meanwhile guys you can play my improved v20 here:

http://91.192.210.5/gits/Arma/

no ACE but all the restof it is working pretty well now - gotta sort out stringtable/revive/scoring/squads mainly - the side-missions all work a treat

Edited by eggbeast

No lol :p

Link is still valid, but to DL you must look at bottom, letters are rather tiny but it says "Save file to your PC: click here"

Anyways, that is still old version, I am working on it but at very slow rate, I don't have much free time... Not sure when I will be completely done since my knowledge about mission editing is limited.

You should know that mission itself in current state is working just fine. Most of the time only problem is few missing scripts...

Please, if you are willing, look again at DL link and give me some feedback, I could really use any data you might give me/bug reports etc. since I still can't test it on server.

well ive managed to import loads of stringtable materials into the missions and the support options now so russian people can play the mission in cyrillic etc

also done a briefing for explaining what to do etc

a few little bugs left to iron out and we'll have the base mission to ACE properly...

working on the scoring, rewards, objectives and debriefing this week - then ill crack on with brit and russian versions - you're welcome to borrow all the mission fixes for your version.

finally getting there...

Well, as I said, most of the fixes on mine are putting in missing scripts... I don't think you need those hahaha! Original (which I am editing) uses lists for vehicles repair/respawn etc. so if vehicle in editor isn't in script list it wont have those features (which is logical). That's why I've got only some of my vehicles to repair/respawn/report broken but others wouldn't...

So I have to fix things like that, but your mission concept is much different, so I don't think you could use any of these "fixes". I'm guessing, instead of bothering with old scripts you just used new scripts, right? I mean, this is original from vanilla A1 version that I am editing here. So, for me, this is horor...

Anyways, I hope I will be done with this soon, atm I don't think there is anyone else working on Sahrani version, and I find Sahrani pretty awesome island.

But of course, you're free to do whatever you want with this mission, it's just I don't think you will find anything interesting...

Edited by Minoza

sahrani is the "interesting" bit lol

whatever happens, we need one, so once i've completed the overhaul of the mission, we can look at your sahrani version and then make a perfect one from your experiments and mine i guess?

check v22 update here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=88124&page=4

I fixed the vehicle respawn function by pasting and editing the _vecmarker script from the almost defunct sinits.sqf to the better vehicle.sqf

The most important breakthrough today has been to establish 2 separate reward scripts to enable the group of a player to receive a reward (for mission completion, tower down, etc) and for a single player to receive a reward or a charge against his score (for artillery support, but also to subtract support costs)

also the localisation os the scripts and city names has taken me ages - hacking the stringtables 16,000 lines to find the right parts etc - meaning people can play in any language.

it's almost there now.

feel free to borrow the fixes for your version.

I love sahrani. This map runs UNBELIEVABLY smooth at full settings for me. I played your evo the other night but it seems broken. AI recruting is strangley hit or miss. The first city just took it upon itself to clear itself of enemies. Id love to see it made realistic to the max. Id check out Bons realistic artillery for the mission. Maybe medivac module that just came out. Mando capable etc. Would be great to see more people playing sahrani again. Im soo tired of playing by myself. Thanks for your work.

Thx for your report!

Did you try that on dedi or...? Because mission may not behave same on server and in local mode...

Btw... eggbeast made so much progress, he created one hell of a mission! :cool:

That's why I'm slowly giving up lol... I can't learn that fast, he has much more experience with Evo than I do, maybe it would be best if I just let him do it right hahaha! :yay:

Dunno, only thing I don't like in current Evolution (as I said about million times is MHQ and base layouts...)

I wanted to recreate Evo and make it look EXACTLY the same as original (Arma 1), even the base layout, I tried to put exact vehicles (plus ACE ones) on exact same locations. Then I would add all ACE features and Mando Missile probably...

Dunno if I will be able to do this. If I managed to pull this off, first thing I would do is, get in MH-6 and start transporting people lol... I loved to fly in Arma 1 EVO... MHQ killed a need for transport pilots IMO...

Edited by Minoza

minoza dont give up bud - this is a team effort. I love your progress with it - i saw your youtube vid at the weekend - and im gagging to get in there and play sahrani.

the thing is - i have a modded arma 1 sahrani for us/brit/russian with loads of sidemissions already mapped out in arma 1 - will be great to import some of the locations etc to arma 2 version in time.

I'm hoping that the changes im making to the mission core will be easy to transfer to your version when its completed, so keep up the good work.

it looks fab.

i'm hoping i can look at your copy when i'm done with chernorus and just upgrade it in a day or so and pass it back to you...

note that i enabled the mhq and fasttravel toggles at server start now, so these are not a big deal.

Well, thank you for encouraging me!

There is one more problem with Sahrani port itself. If you checked the CAA1 topic you might have noticed that Sharani in it's current state still suffers from few bugs. Mainly AI pathfinding over some bridges, this kills fun on some occasions lol

But I know there is at least one guy that is still working on this (thank you Kabong). If I remember correct Kju ported this to A2 but stopped working on it.

haha the bridge bug is awesome! we used to have great fun with that. you send your AI to the start of the bridge then meetthem there and drive them across one at a time, calling STOP if they start mounting the parapet or pathfinding into the sea lol. it's entertaining. makes Dolores a no-go zone. oh and the BMD-1 mod (basically a BMP3) used to bug on the bridge, grinding to a halt, so you had to lift it off with a chopper :(

but the bridges are such a cool and realistic feature that this little inconvenience (which we arma 1 vets are totally used to) is not an issue really.

it's great fun blowing them up too in the heat of battle, i.e. Iguana - separating the reinforcements from the tower.

if you still have arma 1 installed, have a look here

http://91.192.210.5/gits/Arma/

modded Evo arma 1.zip has all 6 of our arma 1 evo's in it - some need a lot of mods. The mission locations are good fun though - right out on the islands to the south, the south west, the north west and way up in the north. it's great fun flying up there under the radar, setting up camp then sneaking up the maountain to spy on the airstrip and call in arty or snipe etc

I am so short with time now... I started modeling a carrier ship (hopefully will get into ACE) plus I've agreed to work with people who are creating Skira island for Arma 2 (it will be called Kiska) so I don't have much time left for this...

But I will keep working on it.

Edited by Minoza

yeah i guess you can see the benefit of getting evo running perfect before starting to port it...

Yeah, that was my first mistake, I did the other way around...

it's all useful fieldwork though at the end of the day

we're chewing the bone from either end...

Sahrani is broken with all the latest releases of ACE. No joy here... ACE team says it has nothing to do with them... I'm afraid we wont see Sahrani in Arma 2 with ACE after all... Maybe if Kabong finishes his work on CAA1, dunno...

I am so sad because of this...

Will there be a Sahrani Evo Blue without ACE from you guys? Imo Evo is the best coop mission ever made and you're right about the MHQ & stuff, it's destroying the 'let's get in there together' feeling.

Highly interested & appreciated what you guys do here :)

ok well we're debugging evo red atm but its mostly there - like 98 percent.

i'd like to pickup evo sahrani now. Minoza - do you have a link to your latest version? Can I borrow it to make a stable evo sahrani which we could then ACE after we get the main mission functional? I'll share credit with you of course mate

If there's something specific to ACE that needs changing i'll look at how to fix this for all the versions at the same time...

is there a way of running Sahrani without downloading the 2Gb CAA1 mod and the software needed to manage it?

Duala is only 100mb and has a lot of the sahrani content... I ported evo into it with 16 hours of coding and about 4 hours debugging time

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=96532

I'd make a sahrani evo tomorrow if i could find the island in an easy to use form...

started work on the evo sahrani

i guess once ive got it all ported together, minoza you might then be able to ACE it a lot more easily.

Isn't there a hotifx now to make Saharani work with ACE?

I tried playing with this (surprisingly it actually did seem to work even without the hotfix aside from a few non-addon-related issues, such as you naming a trigger allGroups which is actually a BIS variable).

What I'm really looking for is a 1:1 (as much as possible) port from Arma 1, as most finished evolution ports I can find are modified in 1 way or another. Is this as true-to-the-source as you could make, and if not, where can I find a proper true-to-source port?

If such a port does not exist, how much work is actually needed to port the mission? Is it just a matter of changing all unit class names and fixing the allGroups thing, or are there entire scripting commands that don't work?