Sign in to follow this  
-Total-

Wings Of Prey

You know you can go in "controls/device" and reassign manually the movements (Pitch/bank/yaw/throttle) independently to any axis right ?

yeh...but if i do that and pull back on the stick the little indicator at the top of the screen shoots off to the right. :S

This is one pretty game thought i'd throw in some screenshots, totally un edited from a little sortie i flew tonight.

th_shot20100110221638.jpg

th_shot20100110221707.jpg

th_shot20100110221732.jpg

th_shot20100110221733.jpg

th_shot20100110221735.jpg

Nice screenies. The amazing thing is that they look this good and run at 75fps all the time, with zero stuttering, even on a mid spec machine. This game is a technical triumph from a gfx point of view.

Did you sort out your joystick problems Aeneas2020?

yeh i managed to find a pre existing joystick config that half way worked and then had to reset the throttle so that it stopped acting as my rudder. Still wish i could get the free look away from the mouse and working through the hat on the stick though.

yeh i managed to find a pre existing joystick config that half way worked and then had to reset the throttle so that it stopped acting as my rudder. Still wish i could get the free look away from the mouse and working through the hat on the stick though.

No. What you wish is TrackIR or FreeTrack. :)

does free track work ok? if so i'll just do that rather than getting track IR 5 (also whats the diff between 4 and 5?)

I saw this on steam on sale until mid-January (20%, not much but eh.) was just wondering if I should get it? I'm an IL-2 fan. Is this similar or up-to-par with it's realism?

it ranges from "arcade" to simulator mode. the sim mode is alright the flight model feels robust and everything but its no where near as in depth as say the IL2 or ROF flight model. Also being a pilot in rl it doesn't feel as "real" as those games but its certainly a good game and a nice hold over until storm over europe.

does free track work ok? if so i'll just do that rather than getting track IR 5 (also whats the diff between 4 and 5?)

I have freetrack working with WoP and it's absolutely fantastic. I made a 3 point hat clip for $5 and use a crappy old Logitech webcam. Might not be as good as TrackIR but it's a hell of a lot cheaper!

I saw this on steam on sale until mid-January (20%, not much but eh.) was just wondering if I should get it? I'm an IL-2 fan. Is this similar or up-to-par with it's realism?

You should get it Binkowski. Both are great sims/games in their own right.

IL2 pros: awesome flight models; highly realistic; essentially infinite replayability with mission editing etc.

IL2 cons: Has rather dated graphics; ugly interface (shouldn't be important but it is to me)

WoP pros: actually uses IL2 flight models; astonishing graphics; very polished presentation and music etc; can be played as a simple arcade experience or a more in depth sim; responsive developers who are keen to improve the product

WoP cons: does not yet have the extreme customisability of IL2 (missions, planes, sounds etc); still has a few gameplay quirks; uses a later version of Starforce DRM which may upset some people (I have no trouble with it).

IL2 has had years of development and community support to reach the classic status it has. WoP have done an amazing job in a short time, and with continued developer support it should become a definitive WWII sim too.

(also whats the diff between 4 and 5?)

More resolution, more FOV and new design. I've TrackIR4 working with software version 5 (the 3 profiles are great) and I'm very happy with it.

It's the most fantastic "extra" I bought for any computer in any time. It helps a lot to immersion. I could never play again a flight sim without it. It's night and day difference after you get used to it (1 hour after I start using it). Even in ArmaII it makes some difference.

I believe if you go to the FreeTrack choice you'll be happy also. Only it need more work.

Either way do yourself a favor go for it without any hesitation.

The game's great fun. Leaves me wanting BoB:Storm of War even more. It's got a nice mix of realism and arcade to my taste - seems about half way between IL2 and HAWX. You can see how they'll be able to add realistic stalls, turbulence etc. to the engine for the magnum opus.

Has a really great implementation of Tir's 6Dof. Much smoother than a lot of other games, which gives killer immersion. Some nice lighting effects for dawn etc., but the graphics engine is a bit too much like 90% of 'next gen' games for me. Massive amounts of bloom, HDR and the same colour pallette as Dragon Rising, bizarrely.

Wow, it looks great. I'm a long time fan of IL2 ( a game I still play today ) and will definitely be buying this.

The game's great fun. Leaves me wanting BoB:Storm of War even more. It's got a nice mix of realism and arcade to my taste - seems about half way between IL2 and HAWX. You can see how they'll be able to add realistic stalls, turbulence etc. to the engine for the magnum opus.

Has a really great implementation of Tir's 6Dof. Much smoother than a lot of other games, which gives killer immersion. Some nice lighting effects for dawn etc., but the graphics engine is a bit too much like 90% of 'next gen' games for me. Massive amounts of bloom, HDR and the same colour pallette as Dragon Rising, bizarrely.

I tweaked the brightness and gamma and got rid of all the black blur around the edge of the screen. In my experience with eyesight in rl if you are getting dark borders around your vision you are about 5 secs away from passing out.

Aeneas2020, I tried the demo and had the problem too that the yaw and pitch axis of the Sidewinder were wrong assigned. Just reassigned them and everything worked fine (SW Precision Pro)

Oh yeah, and also just downloading full version from steam (I think it isn't as good as IL2, but the graphics are really stunning and smooth)

I tweaked the brightness and gamma and got rid of all the black blur around the edge of the screen. In my experience with eyesight in rl if you are getting dark borders around your vision you are about 5 secs away from passing out.

I agree that the faux vintage film look is a bit overdone. I thought I saw somewhere that there was an option to turn this vignetting off, but haven't found it yet myself. Lots of people on Gaijin's forums asking for an option to get rid of the haze effect and blue colour filter to be patched in, and the patches do seem to be coming thick and fast at the moment for the game. The camera shake on brief external plane views is extremely well-done in my view. Get the impression the game code must be very efficient. My graphics card gets hotter than it does with practically any other game, it's working so hard.

Looks like I got the wrong end of the stick a bit about Maddox's BoB engine being used in the game - it's IL2's engine through and through, but with a bit of complexity taken out and some nice prop-wash and wind/Gforce FX. Not quite sure how involved Oleg and 1C were in the production, but they're certainly listed in the credits. The sim buffs over on the 1C forums mostly hate WoP, it has to be said, except for one or two of them.

yeh i noticed that too (the sim guys hating it). However i took the approach that it was a fun flight sim and that if i wanted "ultra realistic" (nothing yet compares with actually flying obv lol) then i'll stick to rise of flight. either way it's good looking and fun for now until Mr. Maddox gets his baby out.

I agree that the faux vintage film look is a bit overdone. I thought I saw somewhere that there was an option to turn this vignetting off, but haven't found it yet myself.

When you run the game and it comes up with that splash screen in the middle. Just click advanced options and there is an option called vignette. Just turn that to off and there you go.

i love this game got a few clan member to try the demo out and they seemed to enjoy it alot some even got it the next day.... it is alittle arcady but its got some great features that isnt in IL-2 plus the terrian is amazing with all the buildings and trees.

i love this game got a few clan member to try the demo out and they seemed to enjoy it alot some even got it the next day.... it is alittle arcady but its got some great features that isnt in IL-2 plus the terrian is amazing with all the buildings and trees.

I think it's "approachable". I'm also a real life pilot, and playing IL5 was like going to work, yes it's a sim, but fiddling with 2,523.4 commands drove me nuts. I couldn't shut off a leaking fuel tank to save my life as I got torn to pieces. I love Wings of Prey though, you concentrate on combat as opposed to micromanaging. beautiful game IMHO. On simulation mode, it's just enough to feel simulator-ish without overload.

it's very well put together. problem is, after a 20 minute flight, you want to watch your movie. :)

After reading this thread I decided to download the demo. I must say its pretty sweet.

The terrain is very nice, keep finding myself (like ArmA 2) just checking out the view and then realising its probably not the best time.

Will probably buy this.

Edited by Grub